Search:

SIYE Time:0:23 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Return of an Alpha
By Miz636

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama
Warnings: Death, Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 409
Summary: For three years, Harry has been Becoming Alpha of Hogwarts. Now another Alpha is returning, bringing with him darkness, chaos, and battle. Watch as sides line up for war, and people and society change.
Hitcount: Story Total: 169565; Chapter Total: 3930





Author's Notes:
Thanks to Arnel for the Beta job. :)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Thirty-Seven


Harry stood in the middle of the bedroom he had stayed in for the past three weeks, everything he owned on his person as he held his deactivated Journal in his hand. The twins and Ginny were in the room with him to say goodbye before he gave the Order one of the largest shocks they would probably ever have.

“Thanks for the stuff, you two,” Harry said, patting one of the pouches he had filled with the supplies the twins had made in the past three weeks or so.

“No problem, Harry,” Fred said.

“Yeah, and thanks for the Maps,” George added with a grin as he and Fred patted their pockets, the sound of parchment moving just barely audible.

“Tell Ron thanks for me, okay?” he requested, and all three nodded, though Harry knew they didn’t understand why he wanted them to thank Ron.

“We’ll see you in a month, Harry,” Ginny said, moving to hug him one last time before backing away.

“It’ll be September before we know it,” Harry replied as he opened the Journal. Tracey had told him that the next time he activated it the Portkey would take him home. “I’ll see you all then. Please, find a way to get the reaction of the Order to me so that I have something to laugh at.”

All four of them chuckled before Harry placed a finger onto the parchment, activating the Journal just moments before he felt a tug on his naval followed by the feeling of being pulled away.

He suddenly hit the ground and fell to his knees, the Journal falling from his hands as he instinctively opened them to check his fall.

“Oof,” he groaned, and that was all he had time to do before something crashed into him.

Looking up, Harry smiled as Tracey hugged him tightly, the pair surrounded by everyone now staying at the house. They all looked relieved and happy to see him again.

“Hey Trace,” he whispered softly, hugging her back before slowly standing up.

Once she finally let go, Harry was slightly surprised to see her eyes were shinier than usual, as if she was holding back tears. The others had told him about how she had been acting, but he hadn’t realized it had gotten to be this bad.

Of course, looking her over once more, Harry realized the emotion probably came from the fact that she was obviously exhausted and needed to sleep for a while. He would make sure she got some sleep in a little.

“Hey guys,” Harry then greeted the others, grinning at them. That was all it took for the others to rush forward.

“We were so worried about you,” Sirius said as he crushed Harry in a hug. “I know you were talking to everyone through the Journals daily, but it was still hard.”

“I’m fine, Padfoot,” Harry said, laughing as he slowly pushed Sirius away from him, preferring to be able to breathe.

“We know, Cub, but it’s still been hard,” Remus said, giving Harry a light hug before allowing Samuel and Daniella to hug him.

“Maybe now that you’re back, Tracey will go back to normal again,” Astoria whispered into Harry’s ear as he bent down to hug her. All Harry could do was smile sadly and shrug a shoulder.

“Here’s your Journal,” Draco said, holding out the mentioned object, which Harry took with thanks in his eyes. The blond just nodded and moved aside.

This went on until Maya, Graham, Natalie, Luna, Daphne, Theo, Blaise, Hannah, Susan, Justin, Hermione, and Neville had all welcomed him back. Then it got awkward until Draco spoke up again.

“So, Potter, how was it being surrounded by Gryffindors for three weeks?” he asked with a smirk.

“I’m not sure, Black, why don’t you tell me?” Harry retorted, gesturing to all the Gryffindors in the room. Draco’s eyes widened slightly when Harry used his new surname, but he took it in stride and just grinned.

“Well, they’ve been obnoxious quite a bit, but it’s bearable,” he said, and both boys ignored the looks they were getting from the Gryffindors past and present until they broke down laughing, easing the tension in the room immensely.

“It’s good to have you back, Harry,” Theo said as he stopped chuckling. “There hasn’t been half as much laughter here.”

“I guess I’ll have to fix that,” Harry mused, a light beginning to form in his eyes that reminded the others of who he had been spending the past three weeks with.

“Should we be worried?” Neville stage-whispered to Hannah, who looked Harry over once before nodding quite seriously. “Oh, good, I’m not the only one to think that.”

Harry snorted as a few others shared worried looks. Then he glanced up at Tracey and raised an eyebrow in question, grinning when she nodded slightly. It seemed she was quite willing to prank the rest with him, though he would make sure she slept first.

“We really did have good timing, though,” Samuel commented suddenly, and all the teens looked up at him curiously. “Harry’s birthday is in three days.”

The aforementioned teen blinked and thought for a moment before realizing that it was true. Wow, time had certainly flown, he thought as a smile began to grow on his face, though only a small one.

“I guess we’re going to have to figure out something fun to do,” Sirius said with a smirk, but Remus hit him on the arm sharply, making Sirius pout and everyone else laugh.

“We will, but not the sort of fun you’re thinking of,” Remus stated, only making the others laugh harder.

Still chuckling, Harry gestured towards the house and everyone headed inside, Harry in the middle of the group with Tracey right next to him.

After promising the adults not to go anywhere near the wards this time, the teens were all left alone to head up to Harry’s room so that he could put his weapons away and change into some more comfortable clothes; he had come back to the Manor in the clothes he had originally been wearing, which were used for training, not hanging out.

“How are you holding up?” he asked Tracey softly, settling down next to her on his bed as everyone spread around the room, talking and pretending to be ignoring the conversation.

“I’m fine,” she retorted, and Harry rolled his eyes just as she had done whenever he said that after the Third Task.

“And that’s why you look like I did two days before everything happened,” he stated, and she blinked up at him, startled. “At least I was willing to admit to myself that I couldn’t sleep and needed help, even if I denied myself it. Please, Trace, you need sleep.”

“I know,” she sighed, slumping down and leaning her head on his shoulder, eyes closing. “I’ve just been so worried that only training and working to get you back here has kept me going.”

“Just as training when I had those nightmares kept me going,” he muttered in her ear, and by the slight stiffening of her body, Harry knew that Tracey understood why he had been acting as he had been before. “Now, though, I’m back, and you need sleep, just as I did that day. After you sleep, we’re going to find a quiet corner outside and talk about this, got it?”

“Got it,” she agreed, eyes unable to stay open, so Harry moved and let Tracey put her head in his lap. Within minutes, she was asleep.

“Finally,” Astoria sighed, and Harry looked up to see everyone looking at him and Tracey with relief, though most were looking at the blond.

“Thank you,” Theo said quietly, and Harry started slightly as he realized Theo had been sitting next to him on the bed, “for helping her when I couldn’t.”

“Someday it’ll be you helping her when I can’t,” Harry replied, understanding where Theo was coming from quite well. It was hard when someone else could take care of someone you loved better than you could, but in the end, it was always better just to be able to see that loved one helped.

“And when that day comes?” Theo asked hesitantly, and Harry turned emerald green eyes to brown, wanting to look his friend in the eyes as he said this.

“When that day comes, you’ll have my blessing as the one she views as a twin, just as I know Ginny already has Tracey’s,” he stated quietly, but with a determination that made his eyes shine brightly. Around the room, the others recognized something huge was going on between the boys even if they couldn’t hear the conversation, so they stayed quiet.

“Thank you,” Theo said with true emotion in his voice, showing his gratitude.

Nodding, Harry turned to the girl lying on his bed and slowly lifted her from his lap to set her against the pillows of his bed so that she could sleep properly. Theo tucked her hair behind her ears, and both boys moved away from the sleeping girl, gesturing for the others to follow them quietly from the room.

“Hopefully she’ll sleep a few hours at the very least,” Harry said softly after the door was closed, and everyone else nodded. “Now, let’s go swimming in that pool in the basement.”

Everyone grinned as he showed them that his shorts were actually swimming trunks before the others all hurried to their rooms to change themselves.

Once they were gone, Harry sighed heavily, knowing that there was going to be some serious conversation going on in the house the next day as the information he had was passed on to everyone, including what Horcruxes were.

It was going to be a long day.



Ginny and the twins grinned as their mother called them down for lunch. They had just enough time to put on blank faces before they entered the kitchen and Mum discovered Harry’s absence and began to worry. It would take everything the siblings had to stop themselves from reacting to whatever she did, but they would manage.

Entering the kitchen, Ginny looked around and winced internally at the sight of the normal tray that was set up. It had become a normal occurrence for Ginny to take a tray up to Harry wherever he was at the time because he had refused to eat with the others in case they tried to do something to him.

That her mother had a tray set up for him would make this all the harder.

“Ginny, can you take Harry his meal before you eat?” her mum requested, and Ginny took in a silent but deep breath before speaking.

“There’s no point,” she stated, moving to sit between her twin brothers. Ron, who was on the other side of the table and already eating, met her eye with a slightly raised eyebrow when she sat. Ginny just nodded slightly, and he went back to eating, obviously preparing himself for the explosion.

“What do you mean there’s no point, Ginny?” her mother asked, turning to look at her fiercely. “Do you really think I’m going to allow that boy to starve even if he does think he’s a prisoner and deserves to be punished for what he did when he first arrived?”

It was comments like these that made all four of the Weasley children staying at Headquarters glad that Harry had refused to eat with them. Every single meal was full of rude, mean things being said by their mother because she was still upset with Harry for how he had acted towards those people with his “best interests at heart,” as their mother said. All four were careful not to comment on their mother’s remarks for fear of facing her wrath while Harry was still in the house.

“He doesn’t deserve to be punished for not wanting to be kidnapped or held prisoner, Mum,” Ginny stated, her right hand twitching to reach for her wand holster, but Fred grabbed her hand and held it against her leg under the table. “And why would I want my boyfriend to starve?” she added as her mother began to reach her breaking point.

“He attacked the ENTIRE Order when they were just trying to keep him safe!” her mother screeched. “Now you’re trying to DEFEND him for it?! You are not the daughter I raised! If you were, you’d understand that we were acting in his best interests and he threw it back in our faces!”

“And if you were my mother you’d understand that he had protection that you forced him away from!” Ginny yelled back as she tried to jump to her feet, only to discover that she couldn’t because the twins were holding her down.

“Take him that tray and do not come back down here until dinner!” her Mum exclaimed, pointing at the tray with her wand to add a single extra sandwich and a goblet of pumpkin juice.

“There’s no point!” Ginny yelled, still being held down, though her anger was calming as she regained control of it. “He’s GONE!”

With that, Ginny got out of the grasp of her brothers, pulled out her wand, pointed it at the tray, muttered a spell, and left the room, the tray following her.

When she got upstairs, she collapsed onto her bed, the tray on her bedside table and the door sealed behind her. It was all she could do to breathe deeply and calm down.

That had been three weeks of frustration and anger coming out in one burst, and everyone in the room but her mother had known it. Now, though, she was calming down and would soon be able to put it all behind her, even if her mother could not.



What did she say?” Molly Weasley asked dangerously, turning to face the twins as Ron watched, horrified and fascinated at the same time by the events that had unfolded.

Ginny’s outburst had been coming for days, but it seemed that their mother either didn’t notice or didn’t care as she continued to say things about Harry, Ginny, and the twins that shouldn’t have been said, not that Ron had passed on anything about his siblings to anyone.

In truth, spying on the Order had been quite easy, but keeping his own anger in check had taken a lot more self-control that he had had even two months ago. It had taken listening to Graham Pritchard commentating on the Third Task for Harry while his friend had been in the graveyard to make Ron’s self-control increase alongside his maturity, but it had.

Now, though, it was obvious that Ginny had been pushed too far, and it made sense as Harry wasn’t in the house anymore, so there was no reason not to react to the comments. No reason, of course, for the twins or Ginny not to react.

Ron, on the other hand, had to play the part of the only Weasley child in school with Harry still to not have a true connection to him, so Ron couldn’t say or do anything to defend his friend without giving it all away.

It was hard on Ron, but he did it anyway, knowing that his silence would only benefit people in the long run.

“I think she said that he’s gone,” Ron said slowly, adding confusion to his tone as he stared at the door, realizing that the twins weren’t going to answer.

“Is this true?” his Mum asked in a harsh whisper, and Ron turned to see her glaring at the twins, who were sitting there, unconcerned.

“Oh, yes,” one of the twins — George, Ron thought — said while nodding.

“He just disappeared quite suddenly,” Fred agreed, also nodding very fast.

When?” their mother demanded, and Ron recognized her tone as the one that meant not to fool around.

“An hour ago?” Fred asked George.

“Maybe two?” George suggested, and they both shrugged, turning back to their mother, who was slowing turning a very deep red.

WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL US?” she yelled, and Ron put his hands over his ears to try and lessen the intensity of the volume, which was making his ears ring.

“Because you shouldn’t have forced him to be here in the first place,” the twins said together, actually glaring at their mother.

“He didn’t want to be here,” George continued.

“So why should we have made it harder on him?” Fred finished. “You all made it tough enough on him, not letting him leave when he had told you he had a Fidelius Charm on his home now.”

“But noooo, you couldn’t let him go to his family where he would be safe and comfortable,” George added. “I’m just surprised he stayed here for as long as he did.”

“Maybe it had to do with Gin being here,” Fred mused, and George nodded in agreement.

“Too right you are, twin of mine,” George stated, “that’s probably it.”

“So you’re telling me that Harry Potter just disappeared from the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix an hour or two ago, and you told nobody?!” their Mum asked the twins dangerously, her voice rising at the end of the question.

Ron decided that the twins had a death wish as they shared a look before turning to their mother and replying, “Yup, that sounds about right.”

All Ron could do was watch the show as his mother, Molly Weasley, screamed a wordless scream before running to the Floo to call in the Order, obviously in a terrible mood now that she had the news.

It made Ron quite relieved that, even if someone thought to question him about Harry and his disappearance, he could truthfully state that he hadn’t been in the same room with Harry for more than a few minutes at a time the entire time the Slytherin had been there.



I have checked the wards, and it appears that Mr. Potter used a Portkey to escape,” the voice of Albus Dumbledore said over the wireless listeners the twins had created.

“How?” “There is no way he got a Portkey!” “Impossible!” were among the things said by those in the Order meeting.

I do not know how he acquired the Portkey, but I do believe that those of you watching both the incoming and outgoing mail would make sure that there was no chance of anything with any sort of charm on it got through,” Dumbledore said, and Ginny could almost picture him raising a hand to silence the outburst from the Order.

What we must now concentrate on is finding out if Harry is safe or not,” he continued, and Ginny heard something being placed on the table; it was light, if the very small amount of noise was anything to go by. The swish of a wand was heard before Dumbledore spoke again, “I cannot find him, which means he is very much more protected than before.

Ginny smirked at the sighs of relief from the Order. Harry had told them that he was going under the Fidelius Charm! He had told them! It was their own fault that they hadn’t listened.

I hope this has taught you all a lesson,” Professor Snape’s soft voice said, a sneer obvious in the tone. “A Slytherin does not say that he had protection as Potter did if he or she is not sure of it, and he informed us all that he had a protected home that he was going to the very day he was captured by us.

“All we can do is hope that he does not treat us as he does the Dark Lord’s followers, since we appear to have done more to him than any of them have done. I warned you when he first got here, and I will warn you again now that he is free: You do not wish to feel the wrath of his revenge, so you’d best make friends with him again before he goes after it.
” Ginny heard Snape stand, stride to the Floo, and leave the meeting.

“As much as I hate to admit it, Snape is good,” George said as the three Weasleys shared a look, and Ginny had to nod silently alongside Fred in agreement, blinking as the words went through her mind again.

As much as I don’t want to admit it, Snape has a point,” Tonks said, and Ginny heard the pain she was going through to admit it. “I know that I was shocked when Harry said that he felt he was a prisoner here. How are we any better than the Death Eaters if we actually kidnap people and make ourselves look like the bad guys?

“Another possible convert to our group?” Ginny suggested, and her brothers nodded, writing it down to inform Ron of so that he could pass it on to Harry.

We are working towards the greater good,” Dumbledore said calmly, and everyone else who had been muttering quieted down. “Now, we must keep an eye on the three teenagers Harry spent so much time with. It’s quite possible that they could give us information on Harry in more than one way.”

“I’ll be sure to keep them in my sights, Albus,
” their mother said, and all three almost growled at that.

If I may, I’d like to put monitoring charms on the areas they are the most so that you, Arthur, and I may keep a closer ear on what they’re saying,” Dumbledore suggested, and Ginny’s eyes widened as she looked at her shocked brothers, all three unable to speak.

Very well,” her Mum said, her father saying nothing, which made Ginny believe he did not agree to this at all.

I shall do this before I leave, then,” Dumbledore said, obviously happy by his tone.

Ginny pulled out her Journal and wrote a note on it before showing her Journal to the twins.

We can’t say anything aloud except what we don’t mind them hearing. Plan all your pranks, store stuff, and any other ideas in the Journals, and don’t mention Harry’s name, even, aloud. I know you’re not stupid, but we have to be careful. We can pass disillusioned notes like Harry and Ron did a little while he was here, and we’ll do the same with Ron. Make sure you tell Ron the moment this meeting is over, just in case!

Both twins nodded, uncharacteristically serious looks on their faces. Ginny nodded back once before placing her Journal on the floor and listening again, but it seemed that the meeting was coming to a close, so she pulled the earpiece out and activated the Journal to tell Harry every little detail of what had occurred that day, knowing he would wish to know.



Harry had just closed his Journal after a disturbing conversation with Ginny about the Order when he heard Tracey beginning to wake up on his bed.

Turning, he saw that she was sitting up and rubbing her eyes, so he stood and walked over to her, sitting by her feet.

“Huh?” she gasped before opening her eyes and seeing it was only Harry. “Oh, hey Harry,” she said sleepily.

“I guess it was your turn to sleep ten hours straight,” Harry said in amusement, and Tracey blinked in surprise. “It’s eight already, Trace, and your mum has dinner ready whenever you want it.”

“Oh,” was all she said, obviously still half-asleep, but then she looked him in the eye. “Thanks, Harry, for making me sleep. I needed it more than I thought.”

“Trace, I’m still having nightmares,” Harry sighed, moving closer to her. “Trust me, what you did for me almost a month ago was what I needed; I’m only returning the favor.”

“Did Ginny help with the nightmares at all?” Tracey asked quietly, and Harry nodded, but there was enough hesitation that Tracey picked up on his unspoken words. “She helped with the guilt, but the nightmares are still there, aren’t they?”

“Yeah,” he said, sighing deeply. “It was hard to relax there, which followed me into my dreams and made the nightmares stay just as intensely despite her help with my guilt and helping me relax.”

“Hopefully being back here will help, then,” Tracey said.

“Just like my being back will hopefully help you sleep and eat better?” Harry asked with a sly grin, making her hit him on the arm lightly and laughed.

“You’re a pain in the arse, did you know that?” Tracey said, and Harry just grinned.

AN: So… Did the reactions meet your standards? I recall enjoying this chapter because I got a chance to write these. It was all very fun. Anyway, that’s it for this chapter, I believe. Hope you enjoyed it.
Reviews 409
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear