Search:

SIYE Time:10:33 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Return of an Alpha
By Miz636

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama
Warnings: Death, Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 409
Summary: For three years, Harry has been Becoming Alpha of Hogwarts. Now another Alpha is returning, bringing with him darkness, chaos, and battle. Watch as sides line up for war, and people and society change.
Hitcount: Story Total: 169558; Chapter Total: 4272





Author's Notes:
A/N at the end for sure this time.

Thanks to Arnel for the Beta job.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Eight


"So…" Sirius drawled about a week after the Quidditch World Cup as he and Harry sat in the living room. Harry was reading one of his parents' journals while Sirius read the newspaper.

"What, Sirius?" Harry asked, a bit annoyed as this was the fifth time his godfather had done this in as many minutes.

"Well, you know there's a ball at Hogwarts this year," Sirius began slowly.

"Yes…" Harry said, seeing where this was going and not liking it very much.

"And it's always the guys who ask the girls…" Sirius continued, still talking slowly.

"Just get on with your point, Sirius; I know all of this," Harry snapped as he closed his mother's Potions journal and placed it next to him on the couch. He glared at his godfather.

"I'm just wondering if you have any ideas who you're planning on taking," Sirius said as he waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"When is this bloody ball again?" Harry groaned as he closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the couch.

"Christmas, and it's called the Yule Ball," Sirius informed him, obviously amused by his reaction.

Harry almost raised an eyebrow at that, but managed to hold in his initial reaction so that he could think about his response. He knew in his mind that Sirius and his friends were all going to annoy him and Ginny about the ball as everyone seemed to think they'd end up together. It relieved him that they hadn't told anyone about Christmas of his third year as that would have given them more ammunition for their thoughts.

"I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for a girl, then," Harry told his godfather with a smirk as he finally opened his eyes.

"No one in mind for a date, then?" Sirius asked, barely holding in his disappointment at Harry's reply, which just made Harry want to laugh.

"Not a one," he said with a straight face that was completely neutral, giving nothing away, yet it didn't make Sirius suspicious.

Harry could have sworn he heard Sirius mutter under his breath, "And here I thought he'd gotten a clue."

If only he knew, Harry thought with an internal smirk as he opened his Mum's journal and finding his page quickly, began reading through it again.



Harry opened his Journal and held his finger on the leftmost flap, thinking about wanting to only talk to Ginny and have no one see him. The Journal activated and a private conversation with Ginny was open, and no one knew he was online.

Luckily, Ginny was on and no one was with him in his room. If anyone had been with him as he did this, they would have been commenting immediately about the fact that he was signed on without being signed on. With Ginny on, he wouldn't have to make her Journal heat up.

Harry: Ginny, can you end the conversation you're in and let me talk to you for a bit?

Ginny: Sure, just give me a minute.


Harry watched as she made her excuses and supposedly signed off of her Journal, though Harry knew better.

Ginny: What's going on?

Harry: I thought I should warn you about something that affects both of us.

Ginny: *Raises an eyebrow* Oh? Go on, you've got my attention now.

Harry: *Snorts* I thought that would work. Anyway, Sirius cornered me in the living room a couple of hours ago.

Ginny: And this involves me… how?

Harry: I was getting there! Sirius brought up the Yule Ball, which is a ball being held at Christmas at Hogwarts this year because of the Triwizard Tournament.

Ginny: The what Tournament?

Harry: Triwizard Tournament. Draco told me that it involves three schools with a champion from each competing in three tasks. Anyway, Sirius was asking me if I had any idea of who I was planning on taking.

Ginny: Okay, so this is beginning to involve me, but continue.

Harry: You know as well as I do that everyone thinks we should be together. They're going to be pushing us both until Christmas, trying to get us to go to the Ball together.

Ginny: *Groans* The twins AND Slytherins… This is going to be unbearable.

Harry: You're telling me…

Ginny: I'm curious, though; who are you planning on asking?

Harry: I'll tell you only if you promise to help me pull the ultimate prank on those gits for what we both know they're going to do this year.

Ginny: Deal. Tell me, now.

Harry: I'd rather be able to do this in person, but… Journals are good enough. Ginny, I know it's months away, but will you go to the Yule Ball with me?

Ginny: *Shocked* You're asking ME?

Harry: Well… yeah. You're my friend, which means we can have a good time. Plus, if I'm being truthful, it'll be Christmas the day of the Ball, exactly a year after the deal.

Ginny: So you're only asking me because of that…?

Harry: NO! I'm asking because you're my friend, and not in the same way the others are. You and Tracey are the two closest to me, the two who understand me. Tracey is basically my twin, but you… you're something else, Gin. I don't know how to describe it, but I don't think there will be anyone else I'd rather ask.

Ginny: I'm… touched, really touched, Harry. Yes, I'll go with you to the Ball.

Harry: Excellent! Now, onto that prank…

Ginny: Ah yes, what do you have planned this time?

Harry: Do they really have to know that we're going to the Ball together? Why don't we keep it a secret until near the Ball, if not until the night of it? Torture them by thinking we're so oblivious that we can't take a hint, and then they realize the reason we haven't asked anyone out is because we've already agreed to go together.

Ginny: *Snickers* Do you know how much they're going to talk about us and be annoyed by this?

Harry: That's the point, Gin. *Laughs*

Ginny: I'm in.

Harry: Good, because it wouldn't work without you.




"Siriu s, I'm packing in here and I don't need you to mess me up!" Harry told his godfather as the Marauder walked into his bedroom with his hands in his pockets, a smile on his face, and a glint in his eyes that frightened Harry ever-so-slightly.

"I'm not in here to mess up your packing," Sirius said. "Though that's only because Moony threatened me good," he muttered under his breath darkly, probably forgetting Harry's heightened senses from being an Animagus.

"What are you in here for, then?" Harry asked, deciding to ignore the last comment except to thank Moony later for stopping Sirius.

"My job as your godfather," Sirius said as he pulled out Harry's desk chair and sat down on it backwards, looking his godson in the eyes with his own gray ones.

"I thought you were already doing your job as my godfather," Harry said, slightly confused, as he gestured around the room as if to remind his godfather that he had provided Harry with a house.

"I would have done that even if you weren't my godson," Sirius informed Harry with a smile. "No, I mean the job about how you're off to Hogwarts, we fear that Voldemort may be after you, and we all need to be careful."

"Oh, that job," Harry said in a monotone as he went back to sorting through his books and organizing them as he placed them into the dragonhide bag made specifically for books, though he put his textbooks in his schoolbag instead.

He didn't really like to think about that all that much if he could help it, not with it being the last day of summer. Tomorrow was September 1st, and he was going back to Hogwarts on the Hogwarts Express with his friends, leaving his home behind.

"Yes, that job," Sirius stated matter-of-factly. "I've found the perfect solution to our problems. Finally managed to dig them up from a box in my closet."

Harry turned to see Sirius was holding out a small, square mirror to him. He took it and looked between it and his godfather in confusion.

"They're two-way mirrors," Sirius said as he laughed, and Harry knew it was because of the look on his face as he tried to figure out what the mirrors were. "Your father and I used to use them when we were in separate detentions."

"How do I use it?" Harry asked, figuring out quickly how useful something like this could be if there was ever a problem; he wouldn't have to wait for an owl to fly to his home to find Sirius.

"Just say my name and I'll feel mine heat up. It'll always be on my person, sort of like you and those Journals of yours." Sirius winked at Harry, and Harry smiled. "I won't call you except at night, so at least keep it on your bedside table at night, okay?"

Harry nodded and slid the mirror into his school bag.

"Thanks Padfoot," Harry said as he went over and hugged his godfather, truly appreciating the mirror and what it stood for.



"Have fun, be good but not too good, keep practicing, and don't hurt anyone, okay?" Sirius told Harry as they stood outside the train, hugging and saying goodbye.

"I promise not to do anything more than maybe prank a little," Harry said with a smile as he pulled away from his godfather.

"That's my godson," Sirius said with his own smile as he ruffled Harry's hair. Harry pulled away quickly and rushed to Remus, who hugged him from behind instead of waiting for Harry to turn around.

"Have a good year, and enjoy the Tournament, but don't enter please," Remus told Harry, and Harry nodded.

"I don't think I want another chance for me to die," he said quietly, and he knew Remus and Sirius understood he was thinking about the small events of his first three years, even if the only time he had come close to death was his second year with Sebae, not that they knew she was alive still.

Harry waved goodbye as he got onto the train and headed back to the compartment he had already left his stuff in, Ankh licking Harry's neck with his forked tongue. He flicked the snake lightly on the head to make him stop, and Ankh laughed a snake's laugh, making Harry shake his head sadly.

When Harry got to the compartment, he saw that Theo had come and left as the compartment was larger again. Ginny, the twins, Hermione, Tracey, Susan, Hannah, Terry, Luna, Maya, Graham, and Natalie were all in the compartment already.

"Hey guys," Harry said as he sat down in his customary seat between Ginny and Tracey. "Good last few days of summer after the Cup?"

They had all agreed to not train for the last week of summer as they all needed time to pack. Plus, some had to spend time with their parents before leaving so that it didn't feel like they had abandoned them for the summer.

"Father couldn't care less what I did, so I spent a lot of it at Tracey's to get away from him," Theo said. It wasn't really news to Harry as he had spent time with both Theo and Tracey over the last week or so, but most of the group hadn't known about it.

"Mum was worried about us because of the paper, so she wouldn't even let us out of the house for three days after the Cup," Ginny groaned, and the twins had annoyed faces. "When she finally did we couldn't go flying or leave where she could see us, which meant either hanging out in our rooms or do lots of chores for the week."

"I'm really sorry to ask this," Blaise said from the doorway, where he must have been listening to Ginny from, "but is your mother a Gryffindor or not?"

"That's what we wanted to know," Fred muttered as George nodded and Ginny made a face.

"Are you sure we can't tell Mum about the training we've been doing?" George asked Harry, and Harry nodded.

Unfortunately for most of his friends, they couldn't tell their parents what they were doing at his house and Tracey's. Some of their parents wouldn't allow them to come back if they knew, while others would worry too much, and some just wouldn't understand why they were doing it. It wasn't easy on them, nor was it fair, but they all understood why it was done.

In fact, some like Neville and the Weasleys had it even worse. Because their families would probably go to Dumbledore when Voldemort came about, they couldn't let their family have even a thought about them training, as it would mean Dumbledore would know about it.

Most in the group didn't understand Harry's worry about Dumbledore, but they also didn't know about the Prophecy, which Harry knew had been given to Dumbledore by someone, a seer. It all led up to Dumbledore keeping information from Harry that he should already have, even if he was young.

"Sorry guys, but you know the reasons behind it," Harry told them sadly, and all three Weasleys nodded.

Maya, Graham, and Natalie weren't confused by their talk anymore as they had filled them in on their training after the Cup, though none of them had done any. It had been agreed that they could join in after school started, so Harry had already gotten them the supplies they would need.

"Harry," Tracey whispered quietly, gesturing towards Maya, and Harry remembered their gift for her.

Draco, Astoria, Daphne, Justin, Padma, and Neville had all followed Blaise in just before the train began to move, so everyone was there that needed to be there for this.

"Hey guys, Tracey and I have something we need to give Maya," Harry told the group, quieting all the smaller conversations as everyone turned to look. No one but he and Tracey knew about this, so they were all a bit surprised.

"Harry and I have thought about this since the Cup almost two weeks ago, and we've decided to go through with our idea," Tracey said as Harry dug through his school bag and grabbed the thing he was looking for, keeping his hand in his bag.

"None of you but Ginny knows this, but Tracey and I have been learning how to make Journals on our own," Harry continued. "We can add and remove things to them, and we can also make them from scratch. When we thought about how Maya is as much a part of this group as everyone else is, we decided it was our turn to try making a Journal, so we did."

Harry pulled out Maya's new Journal, and every looked at it. This Journal was a green that looked almost metallic, and it already had the silver lining on it. Turning it around, they could all see Maya's name on the back.

"Maya, if you accept this, your black Journal will return to an unused Journal with no name on it, and you'll be officially part of this group," Harry said as he held out the Journal to her with both of his hands.

"Then I accept," she stated while looking Harry right in the eyes, her light green eyes shining with so many emotions that Harry couldn't really read them. Maya then reached out with both hands and took the Journal from Harry, smiling.

"You two will get colored Journals of your own once you've been Sorted and we put the finishing touches on them," Harry heard Tracey whispering to Graham and Natalie, and when he turned he saw that they were looking at Maya with expressions of awe, sadness, and jealousy.

"She's right, you know," Harry told them both with a smile as he sat down again, barely even remembering standing up to give Maya the Journal. "We're almost finished with yours, but Maya's was the priority for us as you both haven't even been Sorted yet."

The two kids smiled up at them both, and Harry and Tracey shared a look as they turned away. They knew that the only reason their Journals weren't done was because both had reason to believe those two would be leaders for their year, so they knew they would have to add the lining to them.

"What else can you do besides make Journals?" Hermione asked, and Harry realized that much of the group was curious about it.

"Lots," Harry said as he shared a smile with both girls on either side of him. Tracey and Ginny were the only other two to know about what they had added to their three Journals.

"Like what?" Daphne demanded.

"You'll just have to wait and see when we decide to tell you," Ginny said with a laugh.

"Wait, Ginny knows?" Fred said.

"And you didn't tell us?" George whined in fake despair.

"She helped us look up the charms, but she doesn't know how to make the Journals at all," Harry said with an amused smile. "And don't bother asking her as she's just as stubborn as Tracey and I are, and she wants to keep it a secret just as much as we do."

"Darn," Blaise muttered quietly.

"He's good," Draco agreed quietly, and Harry had to hold in a snort as he knew they hadn't meant for him to overhear that.

"Does anyone think the Sorting Hat's song is actually going to make sense this year?" Hermione asked to start up another conversation, and Harry again had to hold in a snort. He could feel Ginny and Tracey also fighting back laughs beside him, so he put a hand on each of their arms, trying to remind them to keep it to themselves.

"Hermione, the song last year did make sense afterwards," Harry said with a raised eyebrow.

"It did?" a bunch of people asked, and Harry rolled his eyes.

"The important story has been heard/The story has been believed/If the story could be told/I would be very relieved," he quoted word-for-word. "The Bloody Baron told us all a story not long after the Sorting, remember? Then the next line said something about the story changing things, and it sure did affect the school a lot those first few weeks after Baron told the story."

"I — I didn't even think of that at the time," Hermione admitted as everyone else looked at Harry with surprise and a bit of awe.

"You were spending too much time concentrating on the story to remember that the Sorting Hat had sung about it," he said in amusement and with a smile, and Hermione blushed.

"Still, the song from out second year didn't make sense," Padma said, coming to Hermione's rescue.

"Padma, the song in our second year mentioned the story then as well," Daphne said, saving Harry from seeming to know too much. "I remember that song well because it was one of the oddest I had ever heard. Plus, Harry wrote it down that night and I saw the paper with the song on it and memorized it."

"I thought it would be interesting to figure the songs out," Harry said with a shrug as everyone turned to look at him. "I've written all three of them down, and I'll write this one down as well."

"The only thing that hasn't ever made any real sense is the part about the Chosen Heir," Hannah finally said to break the silence.

"That's true," Susan agreed. "The story makes sense now that we think about it and realize it must have been the Baron' story, but we haven't seen or heard anything about a Chosen Heir."

"Has anyone figured that part out?" Draco asked, and most shook their heads, Harry, Ginny, and Tracey among them as they didn't want anyone to figure it out until Harry chose to tell.

"Well, I looked around the library a bit," Hermione began slowly, and Harry rolled his eyes; Hermione was always in the library, looking around the library, and reading books from the library; she could probably live there. "The best guess I could make using what I read is that maybe a Chosen Heir is someone who was chosen to be the heir of a founder instead of their own blood heir, though I'm not sure how that would be possible or which founder."

Internally, Harry was cursing quite loudly, even if he was keeping a carefully blank face externally. Of course she would be the one to guess and figure it out pretty much, he thought darkly. Only Hermione would think like that and figure it out without any real basis for her thoughts.

"Where did you come up with that?" Padma asked, sounding surprised but also intrigued by the idea.

Bloody hell, I'm doomed at this rate, Harry thought. He knew he would never tell them if they guessed it, but it still wasn't looking very good for him.

"In one of the books I read about the founders, it was mentioned that most of the founders were worried about both their born and unborn heirs and how they would act in the future," Hermione said. "It made me think that maybe one of the founders found a way to choose an heir without him being a blood heir."

Close, but not right this time, Hermione, Harry thought with a little bit of relief in his mental voice.

"Which founder could have made that happen, though?" Graham asked curiously.

"Ravenclaw," Padma, Terry, and Hermione all said at once, and most of the compartment seemed to agree with them.

"Oh, I thought it would be Salazar," Luna said, speaking up for the first time and sounding a bit disappointed. "But I guess you're right and it would be Rowena as Salazar must have been surrounded by Wrackspurts to have acted the way he did."

Harry had to hold in a snort as he realized Luna was probably right and something must have been up with Salazar Slytherin the day he left Hogwarts to make him say what he had.

Unfortunately, Luna's remark had made many people realize that Slytherin could have also possibly done it, which made Harry begin to worry again while mentally cursing Luna a bit.

"Who could the Chosen Heir be, though?" Neville finally asked to get them away from the topic of Founders. While Harry was relieved to be away from it, the new topic was even worse for him.

"That is a good question," Hermione admitted, "and one we should probably think about."

"Is it possible he's in our year?" Justin asked, and everyone looked at him, a bit surprised. "Well, the Sorting Hat only mentioned him the year after we had all been Sorted, so I thought it might be possible that he's in our year as the Hat hadn't mentioned him sooner than that, which he probably would have if he had gotten there earlier."

Damn, they're good, Harry thought, and he felt Ginny and Tracey each place a hand on his arms this time, trying to keep him from giving himself away.

"That's good reasoning," Daphne said. "What do you think, Harry?"

"Harry, talk to Ankh in Parseltongue and use it as an excuse," Ginny told him in a quiet hiss, and Harry in turn began hissing.

"This is going to be really bad, Ankh, if I don't figure something out. They're figuring out about what Salazar did and that I'm his Chosen Heir. Before too long they'll know about the Dagger."

"Just keep calm and don't let anyone know anything that they can't figure out, Harry,
" Ankh advised.

"Harry?" Daphne repeated, and he looked up, actually a bit surprised as he had gotten into the conversation with Ankh a bit too much.

"Huh? Oh, sorry, Ankh started talking with me and I lost track of the conversation," he said, and he could almost feel Ginny's amusement beside him.

"Justin brought up the idea that the Chosen Heir is in our year," Daphne said, trying to fill him in on stuff that he had actually heard. "We were wondering what you thought about it."

"Well, that sounds like it's possible, but there are a few things to think about. The first is that we'd all probably realize it if one of the people in our Journal group, let alone our own year, had something happen to them that made them the Chosen Heir. Also, it's quite possible that it's an older student and the Sorting Hat just decided to wait a year or two to throw everyone off of the trail of who he is."

Harry smiled as he realized that they were all listening to him and believing him. That took a load of worry off of him as it meant that, while they would probably keep their own year in mind, they might just be looking towards the older boys instead. Ankh had been right, he thought, as keeping his calm had made it easier to answer their question logically while also turning them away from him quite a bit.

"Nicely done," Ginny complimented him, and Harry could tell by the squeezing of his arm that Tracey was saying the same thing silently.

"Thanks," he hissed back, using his other hand and placing it on top of Tracey's so that she knew he was thanking her.

Harry realized that this was going to be a long train ride of conversations about the Chosen Heir, and mostly likely the Triwizard Tournament later.

"This is going to be a long train ride," he hissed, and Ginny laughed at him in Parseltongue while agreeing with him.

AN: *Whistles innocently while trying not to smirk* Who liked the second scene of the chapter? Come on, be truthful in your reviews. I know almost all of you are going to be like, "Finally!" and the rest are just going to be pleased, but be truthful. ;-) And oh man, that prank was fun to write... Watch the amusement rise throughout the first half of the year! *Grins and tries not to laugh*

Anyway, off to Hogwarts we go! Sorry, but what's going on with the Tournament won't really come up for a little while. Obviously it's mentioned the first night, but I've got some stuff going on before I bring in the other schools.

Not much writing done so far this weekend because I'm still on a bit of a high from last night (Friday), which was quite the busy night. Still, I'm not on page 53 of the Final Battle, if anyone is interested. Very fun to write, and I'm still not done with it, though I'm getting close to the end... Still, more work on the part I'm supposed to be writing after this week. I'M FINALLY ALMOST DONE WITH SCHOOL! Four more days... Then I'll be writing up a storm. ;)
Reviews 409
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear