Search:

SIYE Time:0:08 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


In The Blood
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: The Noble and Most Ancient House Challenge (2012-1), The Noble And Most Ancient House Challenge (2012-1)
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 78
Summary: *** Winner of Best Historical, 3-way tie, in the Noble and Most Ancient House Challenge ***

A strange owl delivers a summons to Harry on December 1, 1995, telling him he is to be at a meeting on the Isle of Avalon in just 21 days. The parchment sets events in motion which give Harry an unexpected teacher and the knowledge he needs to comfortably assume his title as Lord of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Potter.
Hitcount: Story Total: 61889; Chapter Total: 7642





Author's Notes:
The reception to this story has been amazing. Thanks so much to everyone who is reading and reviewing.
MNF




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 3:
In Everyone and Everything


True to Myrddin’s promise, all of Harry’s assignments were sitting inside his rucksack, completed and ready to be turned in when Harry made it back to his room. Neville was the only one in their room when he returned, which pleased Harry. There was so much going on in Harry’s mind, he really didn’t want to make small talk with others right now. Neville would respect his privacy. He quickly changed into his pyjamas and climbed into bed, pulling the curtains closed.

Harry went over everything he had learned today, reviewing the notes he’d scribbled for himself. The more he reviewed the more questions he developed. Twice he’d almost opened the tapestries and asked Neville if he knew about this or that. While Myrddin didn’t say he couldn’t tell his friends, Harry was hesitant to speak without permission. Wondering whether he could talk with Neville or not did bring an idea to Harry’s mind. He decided he would ask Myrddin at the beginning of the lesson tomorrow.

Morning broke quietly in Gryffindor tower the following day. Unlike a weekday, Saturday and Sunday were far quieter before noon. Harry rarely had a true lie in, although he did allow himself an extra hour of sleep on the weekends. Living with the Dursleys had conditioned him to be an early riser, lest he have an early morning meeting with the back of Uncle Vernon’s hand. Today, however, Harry was awake, showered, dressed and in Great Hall just as breakfast began.

Neville wandered in holding a small Feverfew plant and an encyclopaedia of botanical preparations.

“Hi, Neville. Running a fever?” Harry asked, remembering from Herbology that the plant was an effective fever reducer often given to small children who could not take traditional potions for fever reduction because they were too strong.

“No, but did you know you can make a paste from the flowers to help with swelling? Thought we could use it for the ...” he trailed off. Harry caught the reference to the D.A.

“Good thinking, Neville. What are you doing for the rest of the day?”

“Writing my Divination essay,” he answered. “Taking cuttings of this little guy and getting them growing in pots of their own. I thought it would be good to have some in each of the houses. Why?”

“I might have something more interesting for you to do, but I have to ask someone permission first. You going to be here for a while?”

“Sure. It’ll be quieter here than in our room. Ron’s snoring can wake the dead.” Both boys laughed.

“True. If I’m not back in fifteen minutes, you can leave. Okay?”

“Sure, Harry,” Neville replied, somewhat confused by Harry’s strange behaviour and request. Harry picked up another slice of toast and headed for the sixth floor. With no one around, he laid his hand upon the blank portrait and waited. Myrddin appeared nearly instantly and Harry confidently walked into the alcove and greeted his friend.

“What brings you to me so early, lad? I do not want you missing your classes to be here,” Myrddin told him.

“I’m not missing classes. It’s Saturday. If it’s okay, I’d like to work longer today,” Harry explained.

“Gladly. I have no concept of your time. If you wish to work longer, I am happy to oblige.

“I did have a favour to ask, if you don’t mind.”

“Ask away, although I cannot guarantee I will answer in the affirmative to your request.”

“I understand,” Harry said. “One of my roommates is Neville Longbottom. I know he isn’t the head of his household, but someday he will be and I was thinking, if it’s okay with you, maybe he could come and take the lessons with me?”

Myrddin smiled. “How very thoughtful and insightful of you. Of course Mister Longbottom is welcome. Would you like to go and retrieve him?”

“Yes, thanks. It shouldn’t take too long. He’s waiting in the Great Hall for me,” Harry explained, heading for the gateway back to Hogwarts.

“I shall prepare supplies for a second pupil while you are gone.”

Harry sprinted from the room and hastily made his way back to the Great Hall. Hermione and Ginny had arrived and were sitting with Neville. As soon as Harry came in, Neville was on his feet.

“I take it I can come with you?” Neville asked.

“Yes, we need to get back? Hermione, can you take his stuff back to the tower?” Harry asked. Hermione looked at him sceptically.

“What are you up to? Are you pulling a prank, because the last thing you need is another detention,” she asked.

“No, I’m not pranking, nor will I get into trouble. I can’t tell you what we’re doing, but I can find out if I can explain it later. It has to do with the parchment,” Harry told her. Hermione suddenly looked excited.

“Where did you find information? There wasn’t anything in the library --”

“I can’t explain it now, but later, I’ll tell you all if I’m allowed to. Neville and I really need to be going though,” Harry interrupted her. Hermione nodded begrudgingly and the boys were off.

Once back in Myrddin’s alcove, Harry immediately introduced his teacher to his friend. “Neville Longbottom, I present to you Myrddin, the first Merlin. Myrddin, sir, this is Neville of the Ancient and Most Noble House of Longbottom.”

“Are you really the first Merlin?” Neville asked, impressed with the man.

“I am. It is a pleasure to meet you Mister Longbottom. You have not been given your titles as of yet, have you?”

Neville shook his head. “No, my Gran is in charge of the family. She doesn’t think I’m ready. I’m not a very good wizard.”

“That is not what I see, Mister Longbottom. I see a young man who is yet to reach his full potential. I believe if you spend time with Harry and follow my instruction, you will be pleased with the results.” Neville nodded, pondering what the man had said. “I would request the privilege of calling you Neville. May I do so?”

“Sure, Mister Myrddin.” Harry and Myrddin chuckled.

“Myrddin is my first name, which I would ask you to use. Harry wisely did not attempt to use my surname, as he found yesterday it can be difficult to pronounce. Chan 'r sir does not lilt off the tongue of one untrained.”

“I can see why Harry didn’t try,” Neville joked.

“I am hopeful to have the opportunity to help both of you learn the language of Avalon. However, there is history we must explore before all else. Gentlemen, please take your seats,” Myrddin requested and the boys moved to the table. Harry selected the seat with the pottery wheel on it, leaving the other for Neville. Harry craned his neck to see the needlework which would represent the Longbottom family. It somehow seemed fitting that there was an elaborate plant there.

“Are you perchance attempting to see Neville’s tapestry, Harry?” Harry was embarrassed at being caught snooping and Myrddin laughed.

“That is the seat for the Blannu saets family. The name went from the lovely Welsh name to the surname Longbottom through a series of poorly executed translations. If I were you, I would correct the grievous mistake immediately upon taking the family mantle upon yourself.”

“I’ll remember that.” Neville liked this man, more importantly, he liked how Myrddin respected him. It made Neville feel good about himself. Harry noticed how his friend had straightened up in his chair.

“While working with Harry yesterday, I explained how I came to form the first Yn caethiwo Amgarn. While I will not review everything Harry and I discussed, the short of it pertained to the protecting of the natural magic found in the British Isles. Out of this fear, I called together our first Biding Circle. Every one since has been made up of the progeny of those bloodlines.

“The knights of Arthur’s kingdom were joined by the magical priests and priestesses as well as those who had been born on Avalon,” Myrddin explained. “Our first gathering was in the year five-hundred twenty-six. We were a grand number, and for three days we worshipped. For three nights we worked on the Circle oath. The concluded our festivities on Meán Geimhridh, or what you know as the winter solstice, with all taking the vow.”

“What is the vow?” Harry asked.

“Wise question, young man. When taking the vow, you will promise three things: first, to do your best to support, nurture and protect the magic around you, above all else; second, to be faithful to your family heritage and to never betray those who have come before and third, to support the education of young witches and wizards,” Myrddin explained.

Harry got a puzzled look on his face. “Those are...interesting,” he stated. “They don’t seem to be all that hard to follow but, you told me Malfoy isn’t part of the circle anymore. What happened?”

“In the case of the Malfoy family, the heritage of the family was betrayed by its current head,” Myrddin answered.

“Really?” Harry leaned forward, as did Neville. They both appeared hopeful of hearing a salacious story.

“Indeed, I however, will not be sharing the details, as I was not personally involved. The Black family was and there are no laws or creeds impeding your godfather from sharing with you,” Myrddin answered with a slight smirk.

Harry slyly smiled back. “I’ll remember that.”

“I have a question,” Neville stated. Myrddin nodded that he should continue. “The first vow, the one about the magic around you; is all magic included in that?”

“Ah, very good, Neville. All magic is indeed included. What insights are you drawing from the inclusion?”

“There are some plants which have their own magic, and when you use them in potions, it can change the product of the potion. If you don’t account for the magic, you can make big mistakes.

“There are also plants which draw upon the natural magic of the earth, or ones which the person growing them can feed them off their magic. If we have to take all of these things into account then ...” Neville trailed off. Harry looked at him puzzled. Myrddin had a slight grin on his lips, like he knew a secret the others had yet to discover.

“Everything we do, every being we come in contact with, they deserve respect. Even beings and creatures and plants which aren’t sentient. If they connect to magic in any way, then we have a responsibility to them. Right?”

“You are absolutely correct,” Myrddin congratulated Neville. “This is not a particularly popular modern notion, but it is the most important vow we make. All magic should be respected, even if we as wizards and witches cannot understand nor participate in it.”

The three men discussed the deeper implications of the second rule. Harry was concerned about his upholding of this one, as he wasn’t ever aware of what his family believed. Would he be rejected from his titles and birthright because of the ignorance of the Dursley’s? When he raised this to Myrddin, the old man gently patted Harry’s hand.

“First, you are not held accountable for that which you were unaware. Only the actions you have taken post entitling are those by which you are judged. Secondly, your family has always believed in justice and equality; something which I understand you are quite committed to already. Do you not consider the group you are leading to be interested in such qualities?”

“How do you know about that?” Harry asked, distressed that the DA was known by someone not in their group.

“Recall our conversation just before your departure last night, Harry. What did I tell you?” Harry thought back, and shook his head as nothing was coming to him. “I can hear the castle and her magic. She informed me of the proactive steps you are taking to prepare your classmates for their examinations and for the inevitable conflict.”

“I am going to have to fight Voldemort, that’s what you’re saying?” Harry asked in a small voice.

“You have known the answer all along,” Myrddin replied. “As much as I want to discuss this with you, Harry, you are lacking information which I cannot provide until you have taken your vows and are an adult. I swear I will do so then.” Harry nodded, but seemed somewhat lost in thought.

“Myrddin, what about the Ministry? Aren’t they held accountable to these same rules?” Harry asked.

“Ah, you have discovered another conundrum, Harry. You have an impressive ability to suss pertinent questions on a situation. The simple answer is no, the entity called the Ministry of Magic is not.”

Harry suddenly became very excited. “Individual members are though, aren’t they?”

Myrddin nodded.

“Do any of them sit on the Wizengamot by chance?”

“There is a great level of cross qualification. Whatever are you thinking, Harry?”

“Please, tell me the rest of the history, and then I’ll tell you about my strategy.”
Reviews 78
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear