Search:

SIYE Time:6:09 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


In The Blood
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: The Noble and Most Ancient House Challenge (2012-1), The Noble And Most Ancient House Challenge (2012-1)
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 78
Summary: *** Winner of Best Historical, 3-way tie, in the Noble and Most Ancient House Challenge ***

A strange owl delivers a summons to Harry on December 1, 1995, telling him he is to be at a meeting on the Isle of Avalon in just 21 days. The parchment sets events in motion which give Harry an unexpected teacher and the knowledge he needs to comfortably assume his title as Lord of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Potter.
Hitcount: Story Total: 61890; Chapter Total: 6106





Author's Notes:
The history lesson continues, and Harry decides to bring a few other children of Noble and Most Ancient households into his studies. Whatever does this small circle of students have planned?




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 4:
Right or Responsibility


Harry and Neville remained with Myrddin straight through lunch, and only left the secret alcove moments before dinner. The sage wizard had given the boys permission to share with some of their friends what they had learned, so the two spoke with several of their classmates while dining, asking them to join the pair in the Room of Requirement after the evening meal.

“What were you saying to that Slytherin?” Ron sort of barked at Harry when he sat back down after visiting the other students. Ron hadn’t been there when Harry and Neville had first arrived. Uninformed, Ron chose to speak without having the benefit of foreknowledge.

“Hello to you too, Ron,” Harry snipped back. “That Slytherin has a name; by the way, it’s Daphne. She’s very kind and not like a lot of the students in her house. We’ve worked together in different classes and I really like her. I was inviting her to a meeting this evening.”

“Oh, you’re all mister Noble and Ancient House of Potter and suddenly I’m not good enough to invite to your mystery meeting?” Harry, Neville, Ginny and Hermione all stared at Ron. Finally, Ginny stood up, leaned over the table and swatted her brother on the head with the spoon she had been using.

“You stupid git,” she remarked as she was sitting down. “If you’d have kept your bloody mouth shut you would have known you were invited too. If Harry were to un-invite you now, I wouldn’t blame him.”

“Oh, sorry, Harry,” Ron mumbled before stuffing some of the roast chicken into his mouth. “What’s the meeting about?” he asked when his mouth was mostly empty. Hermione shuttered at having to watch him across the table.

“I can’t really talk about it here, but I’ll explain everything later,” Harry stated as he reached for a piece of treacle tart. It frustrated Harry how Ron so often spoke without the benefit of thought, and that he was obviously jealous of Harry. The dark-haired boy never understood it, he wanted none of the things Ron coveted in his life. Harry had considered telling Ron he could have it all -- the fame, the money, the price on his head, the headaches from his scar -- if he could have another day with his parents.

When nearly everyone was finished, Harry and Neville rose, promising to see the rest shortly. When they gained access to the Room of Requirement, Harry thought about what he’d like to see in the space. A room resembling the sitting room at Grimmauld Place – minus the dark objects and dust – appeared. A fireplace was against the wall, and a bright fire roared to life inside. Couches and chairs with soft pillows and throws were scattered around and on the far wall appeared the empty frame. Harry pressed his hand onto the backboard, and was happily rewarded with Myrddin’s arrival.

“My, what an impressive room. A comfortable accommodation better suited for a larger group. Perhaps I shall ask the castle to permanently relocate me to these quarters,” the elder wizard suggested and Harry shook his head.

“It’s not the easiest place to find. My Dad and his friends never found it,” Harry explained. “I think you’re better in your alcove. This room moves or disappears altogether.”

“I suppose you are correct. How many other students did you invite this evening? Never before have I had a Lord request I educate others, especially those who will never be entitled or bear the weight of such.”

“There are seven more coming. Four of them are from bloodlines we discussed earlier. Two are from the Weasley family, who aren’t in the circle, but have a distinguished bloodline nonetheless. The last is one of my best friends, Hermione Granger. She’s Muggle-born, but absolutely brilliant in everything. I couldn’t include other people without her, it wouldn’t have been right.”

“You do not need to justify your actions to me,” Myrddin replied. “Remember, there was a time when we were all able to access our magic. Perhaps Miss Granger is from a line which was lost or shunned. I will know when I meet her. It’s unfortunate the Weasley family was not included in the original Binding Circle. The family did not originate in the British Isles, however, and therefore couldn’t be included.”

“Where did they originate?” Neville asked.

“Today the land is part of France,” Myrddin answered. “At the time of the first circle, Britons were only just beginning to settle there, but it was not under any British kings rule. I believe it still goes by the name of Brittany?” Harry and Neville nodded. “Unfortunately, their exclusion at the start led to unavailability for future incarnations of the gathering.”

“Could that be changed? I don’t know a better family than the Weasleys,” Harry passionately asked. Myrddin put a hand on the young wizard’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

“I will contact my scion and see if an invitation can legally be arranged. May I request we say nothing to Mister and Miss Weasley at this time? Since we are uncertain of the outcome of our quest, I believe it would be best.”

“I agree,” Harry said and Neville nodded. “I don’t want them having false hope.”

“Harry, there is no such thing as false hope. If hope exists, it cannot be false. All hope is true, even if the desired result is unlikely.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Harry answered, thinking how he wished more of his professors were like Myrddin. He’d learned more from the old wizard in one day than he had ever learned in History, Potions, Divination, and most regrettably, Defence.

The others arrived, slipping into the Room of Requirement in twos and threes. Hermione, Ron and Ginny came in first. They were followed by Susan Bones and Hannah Abbott. Finally Luna escorted Daphne Greengrass in. Harry was going out on a long and possibly not very sturdy limb by inviting the Slytherin, but he believed what he’d said to Ron. Daphne was always nice to him, and she didn’t act like the others in her house. Also, her father had no obvious ties to the Death Eaters or Voldemort. If his plan for enacting change in the school was going to work, he needed representatives from each house who were from Noble and Most Ancient families.

Introductions were made, and the girls made sure Daphne felt welcomed, even if Ron continued to be a git. Harry was losing patience with his friend rapidly. He didn’t like it when he and Ron weren’t speaking to each other, but petty ignorance and bigotry weren’t things Harry could tolerate from anyone.

Myrddin gave a quick overview of the history lesson Harry and Neville had received earlier. After her twelfth question in about five minutes, Myrddin kindly asked Hermione to hold her specific inquiries until the end. While the aged sage enjoyed the more esoteric nature of her queries, she’d confused her peers, save Harry.

“While all of this is really interesting, Harry, I don’t see why you wanted to share it with us?” Susan asked after Myrddin was done with his lesson.

“I don’t doubt it,” Harry calmly said. “But, answer this; what is our biggest problem at Hogwarts?”

All but Daphne replied, “Umbridge.” The way in which it was said resembled a groan. Daphne had kept her mouth shut, although she did nod when the name was uttered.

“I don’t understand,” Susan continued. “How are we supposed to do anything about Umbridge? She practically rules this place. My auntie told me there’s even talk at the Ministry to remove Professor Dumbledore.”

“Think about the three oaths we have to take when we are entitled,” Harry prodded.

“She’s broken them,” Hermione said, beginning to see where Harry was leading them. “But it doesn’t matter if she isn’t entitled.”

“But, she is. Now, here’s my plan,” Harry began, the others leaning in. Myrddin smiled, and for the first time in several centuries, he had strong hope for the future.
Reviews 78
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear