Search:

SIYE Time:7:36 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


In The Blood
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: The Noble and Most Ancient House Challenge (2012-1), The Noble And Most Ancient House Challenge (2012-1)
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 78
Summary: *** Winner of Best Historical, 3-way tie, in the Noble and Most Ancient House Challenge ***

A strange owl delivers a summons to Harry on December 1, 1995, telling him he is to be at a meeting on the Isle of Avalon in just 21 days. The parchment sets events in motion which give Harry an unexpected teacher and the knowledge he needs to comfortably assume his title as Lord of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Potter.
Hitcount: Story Total: 61959; Chapter Total: 7207





Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone who is reading and reviewing. The response to this story is mind-blowing.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 5:
Sunday Surprise


If Saturday mornings were quiet, Sunday mornings were completely still. Almost no one awoke before ten or so. It was therefore very odd to see the five Gryffindors, two Hufflepuffs, and single Slytherin and Ravenclaw students enter the Great Hall together for breakfast before eight. It was even more shocking when they chose to sit down at the Ravenclaw table, right near the front of the room, just across from the staff table. Only four staff members were taking part in the early morning meal; Rubeus Hagrid, Minerva McGonagall, Aurora Sinistra and Delores Umbridge.

The first three professors thought it was odd this group of students were together, but let it slide, as they’d heard the rumours of a Defence club which was led by Harry Potter. They assumed this bunch might have this as their commonality. The final professor, however, had her head buried in the Daily Prophet, smiling at her being on the cover for “revolutionizing the teaching of Defence Against the Dark Arts”. This was a terrible oversight on her part.

Harry and Neville had conversed with Myrddin until late the previous night, making sure they had the wording correct, so there’d be absolutely no way that Umbridge would be able to slink out of their trap. He looked around the room, apart from the three professors who came from other Noble houses, there were a half dozen students from such families as well. He hoped they knew of the ancient ways and would react. The only problem was their being in Slytherin house. Daphne had said loyalty to family, especially the ancient bloodlines was more important than house loyalty. Harry was banking on it. He pushed down the urge to smirk at Malfoy. If the last few days had taught him anything, it was acting in a way which was befitting of his rank in all situations. Teasing a member of a disgraced house probably wasn’t the way to do so.

The students agreed they’d begin eating, letting Harry begin the process when he felt it was time. Professor McGonagall was certain the group was up to something by the way they were fidgeting and playing with their meals. While she’d planned to leave, her interest was now piqued. She was hopeful it wasn’t a prank. She was thoroughly surprised when Harry stepped forward and climbed onto the dais to lean over the table and speak with her.

“Professor, as you might be aware, I was recently summoned to a meeting on twenty-one December,” Harry stated. The Deputy Headmistress nodded her head. “In my preparations, I’ve been learning about my duties as head of my family.”

“I don’t doubt that you have, Mister Potter.” Minerva was definitely interested in where he was going.

“Neville and some of the other students from ancient families have been learning with me, and we’d like to ensure that all of us are in good standing with the ancient ways. Would you be upset if we were to do the magical calling forth while we’re in the Great Hall? We’d welcome any other student, or professor, who would like to participate. It’s the only place large enough for us to form the circle.”

Recalling her own lessons when she took the mantle from her mother, Minerva smiled before answering Harry, his face aglow with a mocking innocence. “Of course, Harry. We must all hold onto our heritage and celebrate it, especially in these dark times.” She now knew exactly what his point was, and if she were honest, the Transfiguration professor would be glad to see the Defence professor go. She quickly shot her Patronus to Albus, he should definitely see this.

Harry smiled and uttered his thanks before returning to his friends. The assembled multi-house group, sans the Weasleys and Hermione, stood and began to circle. Aurora Sinistra was sitting between Minerva and Hagrid, and a few quick words whispered in her ear alerted the Astronomy professor who prepared herself to engage. Umbridge had made herself no friends in her months at the school.

Professor Umbridge put down her paper, and attempted her ingratiating throat-clearing, but the students had already begun.

The five students placed their wands toward the centre of their circle, and began the opening chant. “We remember the past, we celebrate our heritage, we welcome the ancient, and uphold our nobility.” They repeated it a second time, and then a third. Quite pleasantly, two other students joined them; a Ravenclaw girl and a Slytherin boy. Again the chant was said, this time louder and with more enthusiasm.

Professor Umbridge stood up to complain, but Minerva and Aurora had already stood, and were standing behind her. “Why don’t you join us, Delores, you are the head of the Selwyn line, are you not?” Minerva suggested. As predicted, the Defence professor attempted to sit down, but the other ladies would not let her. When Harry saw the three of them walking together, he nearly cheered. This was working out better than he’d hoped.

A few more students joined, as did Professor Flitwick, when he arrived in the Great Hall. The headmaster arrived as well, although he chose to remain in the doorway, watching. The chant repeated another three times. Neville nodded to Harry. He began the incantation. Harry had worked with Myrddin on the words and pronunciation.

“I mewn pawb gwnawn anrhydeddwn 'n heibio i We achlesa a cadw 'r hud chan pawb We ydy chan 'r 'n hen banodau , 'n anrhydeddus i mewn 'n chyngawsion If chrwydrasom , arddangos 'n gwaradwydda.”

Hermione mouthed the words along with Harry, hoping he got the Welsh correct. She considered it a horribly difficult language, and such, intended to learn it soon.

The translation worked, and soon the ends of the wands began to glow. Pure magic, that which has never been raised at another in anger or passion or had never gone against the three basic principles of the Binding Circle, glowed white. The colour began turning progressively darker when magic you had used was questionable, and in any way went against the Binding principles. From yellow to orange to brown the wands would glow. If you had broken your covenant, the tip of your wand was red.

Nearly all were within the pale shades, even the professors, save Delores Umbridge’s. Harry was prepared to confront her regarding this, but thankfully, he was rescued by Professor Sinistra.

“Delores,” she began. “It would appear you haven’t been as faithful as one would hope. As a distant Selwyn cousin, I believe you and I should have a discussion. It is regrettable enough that we have family in Azkaban, but to have our head emanating red magic, it’s disgraceful. Susan, dear, your auntie is still the Head of Magical Law Enforcement, is she not?”

“She is,” Susan confidently replied.

“Excellent, I shall send her an owl her as well. Come along, Delores, let’s go to my quarters in the tower, shall we?” Professor Sinistra nearly levitated the other professor out the door. When they were gone, there were cheers from the original eight students, as well as others who realized what had happened.

“Twenty points to all houses for your fine teamwork,” Professor McGonagall announced.

“An extra ten to Gryffindor for Mr. Potter’s nerve,” Professor Flitwick added.

“I wasn’t sure, we weren’t sure, it would work; but I suspected she’d have broken the third tenant, when we knew she’d broken the first two. That was some red magic,” he announced and the others cheered.

“If Aurora hadn’t been here, it might not have been binding,” Minerva pointed out.

“I know, but we figured we’d at least show how the houses can work together, and maybe get someone to realize what she was doing here.”

“Excellent job, Mister Potter,” she added, and the larger group dispersed. The students all sat down together and ate, getting to know one another and sharing tales of their families. No one noticed the look of longing in the eyes of Draco Malfoy as he sat, alone, at the Slytherin table.

Minerva was headed out of the room, when she stopped to speak with the headmaster, who had remained in the doorway throughout the excitement.

“It was probably wise you did not join us,” she quietly said, looking into his eyes.

“It was,” Albus replied. “They will learn soon enough I am not who they think I am. I’d prefer to let their innocence last as long as I can.” Minerva nodded and walked away. Albus watched Harry, knowing his days as the hero were numbered.
Reviews 78
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear