Search:

SIYE Time:10:13 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


In The Blood
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: The Noble and Most Ancient House Challenge (2012-1), The Noble And Most Ancient House Challenge (2012-1)
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 78
Summary: *** Winner of Best Historical, 3-way tie, in the Noble and Most Ancient House Challenge ***

A strange owl delivers a summons to Harry on December 1, 1995, telling him he is to be at a meeting on the Isle of Avalon in just 21 days. The parchment sets events in motion which give Harry an unexpected teacher and the knowledge he needs to comfortably assume his title as Lord of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Potter.
Hitcount: Story Total: 61891; Chapter Total: 6021







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 8:
Taking the Mantle Upon Myself


Harry spent the rest of the day exploring Stargazers Summit with Sirius and Remus. It was a relatively large house, although unimpressive from the outside. Harry wasn't sure he'd ever get used the effect of magic upon dwellings. He was given a large bedroom to use, perhaps the largest one in the house. It wouldn't surprise Harry to find Sirius wouldn't want to sleep in it. Given his feelings about how the house came into his possession, he probably chose the smallest one, Harry surmised.

Remus prepared them a supper of lamb stew and fresh bread while Harry and Sirius discussed what would happen the next morning.

"Harry, you'll need to get up on time," Sirius explained. "Shower, shave and come down for breakfast. After we've eaten, you and I will sit down with my Uncle Alphard's portrait. While he never participated in a Circle, he was trained to do so. I know Myrrdin covered much of it for you, but there are some logistics regarding dressing and your signing of your family's book which weren't covered."

"My family book?" Harry asked perplexed.

"Yes, I’ve kept it hidden all these years. When your dad was fourteen, your granddad started really preparing your father for his eventual elevation and entitlement. While Andrew wasn't actively battling Voldemort, he was a force for the light. He financially supported the Order, argued to pass laws which went against the pure-blood agenda, and helped to keep families from falling prey to the Death Eaters. He wasn't a young man, but the Potters always had long lives. Andrew joked it was his clean living and I agree. The Potters with their generous spirits and pure magic produced long and distinguished lives. Conversely, Black family members generally die young and ridiculed.” Harry and Remus shared a look, as if to say they were concerned for their friend and the guilt which seemed to be engulfing him.

"Anyway,” Sirius continued, “when your dad was learning, Andrew taught me as well, figuring one day I'd head the Black family. I can't give you your book before tomorrow, but I can tell you it's impressive. Inside, you'll find all your ancestors, and the spells, potions, hexes, curses, counter-curses, and more, which they've created."

"Wow," Harry replied. "Will I really be an adult when this is done?" Sirius nodded.

"Yes, with exception being in the Muggle world. You'll still be a minor. However, since I don't doubt you'll exercise your right to live on your family estate, rather than with the Dursley's, I don't see it being much of an issue."

"Have you been to the Estate?"

"I have," Sirius replied. "So has Remus. We spent our holidays there."

"Where is it?"

"Not far from York. Although, that isn't the only house you'll inherit. There's the Potter summer place on the Isle of Wight, the London and Cardiff row houses and your grandmother's childhood home in Ireland. It's a lovely little cottage near where we were shopping today. Oh, and there's the house in Godric's Hollow." Harry looked dismayed at the prospect of owning the home his parents died in.

Remus joined them in the lounge with a tray holding their supper. As they ate, the older pair regaled Harry with stories of his parents and grandparents. It was only half past nine when Sirius sent Harry up to bed, explaining he'd have a long day ahead of them.

*****

Harry found sleep hard to come, even with his going to bed at a fairly early hour. Subsequently when his alarm went off in the morning, Harry felt as if he hadn’t slept at all. Sirius wasn't kidding when he said there was a lot they had to do before they'd be called to leave for Avalon.

Not wanting to disappoint, Harry was up, showered, shaved, dressed and sitting at the table before his godfather was. Harry decided to chat with Remus before the third of their trio came in.

“Why are you doing all the cooking?” Harry wondered aloud. “I'm more than capable of making breakfast for all of us. I used to do it at the Dursley's all the time.”

“I'm sure you did,” Remus replied with a knowing timbre to his voice. “I enjoy cooking. In another life, I think I would have become a chef. I find working in the kitchen quite relaxing.”

“Huh,” Harry uttered. “I can't say I ever enjoyed cooking, but I am good at it. Remus, how is Sirius, really?” the teen asked, suddenly becoming serious.

Remus put down the pan he was flipping bangers in and sighed. “He's torn, Harry. He knows he isn't his father or grandfather, yet, it's like he's wearing their robes, and forced to act like them. There are also some issues with your embracing your age of eligibility. He, we, hope you won't be too distrustful of us when you learn everything.”

“You mean the houses and my living with the Dursley's?” Harry enquired.

“Yes,” Remus answered while exhaling.

“Look, I already know someone could have been my guardian and let me grow up on a Potter property. I suspect Dumbledore had his reasons for keeping me at my Aunt and Uncle’s, if there wasn't, he would have let the Weasleys have me years ago. I know Mrs. Weasley talked with him after my second year.” Harry had been thinking about this since he'd first learned of the possibility of another childhood from Myrddin.

Remus turned around and stared at Harry, surprised. “You're not upset?”

“I am, a little,” Harry replied, “but it wouldn't do me any good to be more so. I'm just hopeful that things will change now. I really don't want to ever go back with them.”

“I doubt you'll have to,” a voice said from the hall. “You're going to be a fully emancipated wizard, with several homes and large sums of gold,” Sirius continued as he entered the kitchen. “Not to mention, someone wants to try to make you do anything, they're going to have to deal with the remaining Marauders to do so.”

“Thanks,” Harry said as he stood and reached for his godfather to hug him. He then went to hug Remus as well.

“Sit, you two have a ceremony to perform before you can get dressed,” Remus said as he directed platters of toast, eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms, a bowl of black pudding and a pan of bangers to the table. There was coffee, tea and pumpkin juice to wash it down. Friendly teasing accompanied the meal, making the men feel like they had family.

When breakfast was over, Sirius walked with Harry into the dining room and handed him a small round box, covered in gold and green material, holding a similar one himself. Together they strode to the library for their final lesson.

******

As was tradition, Harry and Sirius took their noon meals in the private of their bedrooms. They had one hour to prepare before they’d be whisked away. Standing in his underclothes, Harry opened the round box Sirius had provided and removed the items inside and set them up as had been demonstrated by Uncle Alphard.

“Hail, Lord and Lady,” Harry said in a hushed tone. “Here I do build a temple of life in which to honour you. Assist me as I add myself to the foundation my family has built before me.”

Using his wand, Harry uttered “Incendio”, lighting the yellow pillar candle in the eastern position. “Here is light at the east, where the life-giving sun rises each day. From the east, may I have light to guide my decisions as it guided my ancestors.”

Repeating the process and lighting the candle in the southern position, Harry said; “Here is the light at the south, where fires rise up to warm and illuminate the earth. From the south, may I have the illumination of my family’s teachings.”

“Here is the light of the west,” Harry said as he lit the blue candle. “This is where waters move gently to give the moisture of life. From the west, may I have the gift of water to wash my heart anew.”

With a final spell, Harry lit the green candle. “Here is the light at the north, where the earth forms a solid foundation for all. Just as my ancestors have been supported, may I too benefit from their support. When the time comes, may I be like the north, and provide foundation for who is to come after.”

When all four candles are lit, the white candle in the middle magically ignited. Thicker and taller than the coloured candles, it shone more brightly than would be expected. “Mothers, father, sisters and brothers of the Potter family, I lay myself down as a humble servant to our familial magic. The white light represents my willingness to take your magic upon myself. I will use it to enlighten the darkness and ignorance around me. I will submit to your guidance, and I will stand tall and true for our family.”

The candlelight began to pull back, returning to the relative size of the other candles. Harry then lifted an ancient looking silver knife, marvelling at the intricate scrollwork of the handle. This athame had been used by every Head of the Potter line since the reformation of the Circle in nine hundred thirty-seven. Myrddin explained how the attacks of the Danes and Vikings had nearly killed off the magical population, and it was far too risky for the Circle to gather. When the attacks ended, the current Merlin called the remaining fragments of the magical families together. The athames were said to have been forged on Avalon, of a metal only found there. The colour of the blade - somewhere between silver and copper - was mesmerizing. It was only the old grandfather clock in the library chiming the quarter hour which brought Harry out of his waking dream and onward with his ceremony.

Cutting shallowly across his left forearm with the athame and allowing the blood to drip onto the white candle, Harry spoke the final incantation. “I dedicate myself as the servant of the Potter family line of witches and wizards. I take upon myself the formidable responsibility of elucidating my progeny in the ways of our ancestors. From the first; ”engus Gweinthiwr chan chlai, to the most recent; Andrew William Potter, to me; Harry James Potter, I will honor, preserve and protect the Potter legacy. Lord and Lady, help me with this undertaking. Let our family line prosper and endure. So mote it be.”

Harry put the knife down, and used his wand to heal the cut on his arm. Quickly dressing in the unflattering outfit and sandals, he felt grown up. In a short while, he would be initiated into a gathering of people who represented the past and present of magic in Britain. Looking at himself in the mirror, he was surprised to see that the robes and cassock aren’t as awful as he’d originally thought. Harry now found the embroidery impressive.

One task remained before he can head out with Sirius to await their departure for the Binding Circle. Sitting on the flat inner surface of the secretary desk lay his family book of magic, or grimoire. He’s touched it and studied the binding, but he had been unable to open it, until now. His dedication to the family magic and name had made the book open to him. Sitting down in the accompanying high-back chair, the young wizard took a deep breath and touched the book. The leather was sturdy and yet supple. The binding groaned as he opened it, although it did not crack or feel in anyway in danger of breaking. Even the oldest pages at the front were not in any state of peril like other books as ancient as this.

While he’d like to do nothing more than sit and read, the majority of pages still appeared blank to him. He would not see the words penned there until after he had been formally entitled and raised as the Head of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Potter. The only section to which he could read was the very first page; the signing page.

The signed below hereby take upon themselves the name and responsibilities of the House of Potter. They consent to the title of Lord or Lady Potter and will, to the best of their abilities, promote and serve the line of Potter. Harry looked at the old, delicate and detailed calligraphy of the pledge, and ran one finger over it. He considered the words carefully, although there was no question he’d sign. Reaching for the quill, he dipped it in the ink and carefully blotted it against the edge of the ink pot. This wasn’t some place for blurring or smudging his name.

After surveying the one hundred eighty-eight names before him, Harry signed and returned the quill to its place. He felt a strange sensation on his left arm, in the same place where he’d cut himself for the ceremony. Lifting the arm of his robes, Harry found an image now burning into his skin. Surprised he wasn’t in pain, he watched as the potter’s wheel design, the same which had been on his chair during his lessons, was now on his arm. He wondered if Sirius got one as well. Of course, as heavily tattooed as his godfather was, one more wouldn’t exactly be noticeable.

The grandfather clock chiming the three-quarter hour alerted Harry he should be getting outside. He closed his family book, and strode from the room, meeting Sirius and Remus in the hall in front of the door to the back yard. Sirius’s left sleeve was up, and Remus was admiring the motif there. Harry had his answer. He showed the men his new mark, and with few words, Harry and Sirius prepared to depart.

Like his godfather, Harry held his wand at his side and awaited whatever it was which would take them to Avalon.

As the clock in the church tower began to ring, Harry and Sirius disappeared.

Reviews 78
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear