Search:

SIYE Time:13:02 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Brewmaster's Mystery
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 150
Summary: MMB is growing, Charlie and Seph are about to be parents and Harry and Ginny will be wed in mere months; life appears to be perfect. But when unexplained failures begin occurring around the brewery, Harry can't help but wonder if something is afoot.
Hitcount: Story Total: 88152; Chapter Total: 2467





Author's Notes:
Hello, and welcome back! Thanks for everyone who has gone and found Mutt N Feathers at Facebook. I've been posting teasers and questions, so if you're on Facebook, come on over. I don't bite. The chapter title is taken from a Civil Wars song, which is simply lovely, if not rather sad. I hope this meets with your approval, as I wanted to do something unique for Harry and Ginny's wedding. For anyone who is waiting for the sequel to "In the Blood" I have happy news for you. I will begin posting it on May 3, a whole month earlier than promised. Thanks for your reading and reviewing, and special thanks to the eagle-eyed individual who pointed out my changing of POV in the middle of the last chapter. Got it all fixed. MNF




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 14:
20 Years

February 14, 2000
Persephone POV:


I’d come outside after I had changed from my dress and put Connor to bed. Olivia was fed and fast asleep, Charlie was feeding Sunny and then would put her down as well. Even though we’d named her a day after she was born, the nickname she was christened with in the birthing suite stuck. I had a feeling she’d be Sunny Weasley her entire life. I suppose there were worse things to be called.

I was surprised how difficult today was to get through. It wasn’t because I was unhappy Harry and Ginny were being wed, quite to the contrary. Ginny tempered Harry’s need to constantly be the one who sacrificed; showing him that he could give without exhausting or hurting himself. Harry allowed Ginny to be a woman, something she’d struggled with while growing up. Her family would always see her as the ‘baby’ of the family; with Harry she was an equal. Even at their tender ages, they had a mature love. This was one which would last for the ages.

The problem today was every time I looked at them, I saw another couple who had wed twenty-two years ago. Even though I couldn’t be there with them, I saw every aspect of their day. Remus, Lily and Sibéal had all shared their memories with me, as well as the numerous pictures which were taken. It was nearly as good as being there. Today I needed to choke back tears throughout the service. I knew my friends were watching from where they were, but part of me felt guilty for being here when they weren’t.

My fingers lovingly caressed the carving on the back of the bench. The stag, wolf and dog would forever be playing together; adventures would always be only one transformation away. “I wonder if they’re still Animagi in the afterlife?” I asked the one-dimensional representations and the sky. No answer came from the grain of the apple tree we’d used to make the bench. I heard no whispers on the wind either. It would seem the connection between the worlds was closed.

“Maybe you’ll come to me if I tell you about today,” I suggested. “A few of you often required enticement to tell me what I wanted to hear.” James, Remus and Sibéal weren’t above insisting on biscuits or cakes before they’d tell me the happenings in the magical world. Tonks was worse than her husband in that respect, especially when she was pregnant.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been at such a lovely wedding. The setting was magnificent. The work which went into the building, the windows, just everything is incomprehensible. Given they were marrying in a Muggle church, Harry and Ginny wore appropriate Muggle wear. They also insisted those guests coming to the church -- there weren’t that many of us -- do so as well. Can you imagine if Kingsley strode in, wearing his usual brightly coloured robes with his ancestral tribal trims on them? He’s imposing enough as it is, he certainly would have intimidated and possibly frightened the officiant. I will give credit where it is due, he knows how to shop and wear his Muggle clothes; he looked quite fine today. Don’t go getting your fur all in a knot, Sirius, you were quite dashing in your Muggle suits as well. Lily, please feel free to swat him for me for his inevitable grumbling. I swear, that man has the most delicate ego when it comes to his looks.

“Anyway, I digress. Harry looked very dashing in his leisure suit with a waistcoat. It took me a while to get him to spend money on his clothing. Honestly, it’s not like he has to worry about his cash flow. We had a fabulous day in London when he finally decided I was right, and having his clothing made to fit him and him alone made sense. Now I have a hard time keeping him from the high end shops. I think the shop keepers do a little dance of joy when they see us coming; as we’ve been repeat customers for several of them. We are known for dropping pounds freely. He looked splendid in his dark grey, nearly black suit with a contrasting lighter grey waistcoat and mossy green tie. Ron and Neville were his attendants, with little Teddy and Connor serving as the ring bearers. I’ll tell you more about those two later. As for his lads, they were dressed well also, although Neville was far more comfortable in his clothing than Ron was. I doubt it had anything to do with it being Mugglewear, however. I think it was simply being asked to dress up. I suspect he’d react the same in dress robes.

“I have to give Ginny her due as well, she can wear her couture. She'd never hidden her appreciation of my wedding gown. I wasn’t surprised when she started talking about the designer as an option for hers. We visited plenty of native bridal designers, but she was having a hard time finding a dress which spoke to her. Most of the truly formal dresses were a bit 'dowdy' for her taste. She really is a firecracker. We went over to North London and used their computer to visit the designer's website, and she saw a dress she absolutely loved. Only someone with her absolutely lithe and toned body could have worn it. It was a spectacular dress, a warm candlelight colour rather than being stark white. With her creamy skin and red hair it was perfect. The dress was detailed in a slightly darker beige shade for the straps, lace details, waistband and bow. The layers and layers of gossamer made it seem as if she was floating.”

I stopped to sigh, it truly was a beautiful ceremony. I found myself getting nostalgic for my own wedding, even though it was only nine months ago. “Geesh, I'm getting sappy in my old age, folks. Don't think I don't know you're sniggering at me, James and Sirius. You're both just as old as I am, or maybe you're not. I guess you stopped ageing when you passed, huh? I seriously had better revert to something younger when I get there or I'll never hear the end of it from all of you.” I could almost hear Sibéal protesting in my ear, which made me snigger. Suddenly the wind kicked up and blew a branch at me. “Okay, Sib, I'll stop laughing. You're right, I landed the hot, young husband. I won't knock my age again.” I really didn't think it was my friends making the wind blow or the branches move, but it did make me feel better to think they were. It was like they really were here with me.

“Anyway, I thought Harry was going to fall over when he saw her coming down the aisle. Thankfully, my son decided to share his thoughts, loudly, at that point. Just as she's walking towards the officiant and Harry, Connor announces she's ‘hot as dragon breath’. I couldn't believe he said it aloud. Worse than that, I knew he'd picked it up from his Daddy-Charlie. While I didn't complain when my husband says that to me when we're alone, I don't think I want to know where or why Connor is hearing him say it. Tell me, do all men have the 'foot-in-mouth' handicap? Does it end when you die or is James still suffering from it, Lils?

“Naturally, people began to laugh, albeit quietly and under their breath, even Ron. Connor heard this and he began to laugh, loudly. When Connor laughed, Teddy had the bright idea he should laugh too. Thankfully Ginny heard the whole thing, and while she shot her dragon-taming brother some daggers as she passed us, she wasn't angry at the little boys. She was attended to by Hermione and Luna who wore pale, mossy green, chiffon numbers by the same designer who made Ginny's gown. All in all it was lovely and short and witnessed by only about seventy-five of Harry and Ginny’s close friends and family. Harry managed to keep the Ministry officials away for the ceremony; the only ones in attendance were people the bride, groom or Arthur had relationships with.

“Ginny had her Harpies team mates there, but none of the Quidditch League officials were present. Heck, being married in the Muggle cathedral meant the Wizarding press didn't even get tipped off. The only people taking pictures were a young lad they knew from school by the name of Dennis and the Muggles who happened to be visiting the cathedral while the service was happening.”

I closed my eyes and remembered the touching moments between Harry and Ginny. How Ginny choked up while repeating her vows, and Harry calmed her by placing his hand on her cheek. The moment when Ginny realised she couldn't get Harry's wedding ring over his knuckle due to the shaking of both their hands. How Harry reacted when he saw his mother's bracelet hanging from Ginny's wrist. That was the second I felt my friend’s absence the most.

“Lils, I hope you don't mind my giving Ginny your horseshoe bracelet to wear,” I spoke to the sky. “It's such a traditional thing for a bride to wear, and even though things were so short for you and James, it did seem to bring you luck in your loving of each other.” I didn't bother attempting to stifle my growing sobs, I needed a good cry after holding it in all day.

“Sibéal and Tonks, I made sure you were remembered. I confess I took care of it yesterday, rather than just before the ceremony. It didn’t feel right to bring these gifts into a place of worship. I gave Ginny a rather naughty little nightie, Sib, and for you, Tonks, I purchased one of those toys you're ever so fond of and gave her the bag before running away. I can only imagine what the two of you are like now that you're together. St. Peter must be cursing his letting you through. You were all present in some way.”

“Everyone else, I tried to do the things each of you would have done for Harry today. I made sure Ginny knew that his family was happy to welcome her, just like you would have done, Lily. I helped Harry get his tie right and flatten his hair down, James. I stayed with him right until it was time for him to get into place, just like you and Remus were likely to have done. I made sure to give Harry a weak calming draught, just so he wouldn't pass out during the ceremony. Yes, Remus, I remember you keeping your pockets stuffed with any imaginable potion needed for James and Lily's wedding. Oh, and, Sirius love, I even remembered an off colour joke to tell him to break the tension. Let me tell you, those three young lads weren't sure what to make of me telling your drunk friar and seductive maiden joke.”

I broke down completely, unable to speak. Wave after wave crashed into my heart and soul, and I couldn't bring myself to tell them any more. I hadn't missed them this much in years; Harry had helped so much of my oppressive pain heal in the last year. The significance of today brought the memories and loneliness back. I decided not to fight it. Hopefully it would pass sooner if I gave it little resistance.

The sky above appeared to grow darker, almost as if the universe was saying they shared my despair. Periodically, I felt a breeze blow past; nothing strong enough to do more than blow my hair away from my face and rustle the dormant grass blades in the lawn. I leaned my head against the back of the bench, exhaustion creeping up and overtaking me like a bug caught in a web. The memories as the spider who had patiently waited as its meal had worked its way into exhaustion attempting to be free. Perhaps the call of slumber would embrace me and pull me into a tightly woven compartment of nothingness?

Pictures of happier days filled my head, hearkening me back to the carefree days at Hogwarts. We always believed we'd have forever, that nothing would ever change us. How little we truly understood then. We honestly thought that love and friendship were going to be enough; that being on the side of right and justice meant we'd be spared sacrifice. How truly naïve we were. Of all of us, it was poor Harry who had paid the price for our not wanting to see the reality of the world around us.

I sat there, alone, for an indeterminate length. The growing heaviness and discomfort in my breasts alerted me to my need to return to the house; one of my girls would most likely want to feed soon. As I was gathering myself to stand, I was greeted by the one person who could bring me the comfort my heart was longing for.

“I thought you might be out here,” Charlie stated as he came closer. I couldn't help the smile which curled my lips and made me instantly feel comforted. He took another step and wrapped his arms around my waist. “You've been weeping.”

I nodded even before the words left me. “It was a hard day. I needed to get the emotions out.” He gave me the look which assured me he understood. Pulling on my hips with his hands, I was soon pressed against his chest, his lips resting against my forehead.

“I couldn't help but think about Fred today,” he confided. “It seemed strange to be missing a brother as our little Weasley princess got married. It felt like I was forgetting something all day, but I couldn't place what it was. Only when I looked at the pictures from Bill's wedding did I realise what it was. It didn't faze me at our wedding, but I was so distracted through the whole thing, I'm not surprised.”

“What was distracting you?” This was the first I was hearing of this.

“You, silly woman. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that you loved me, you were about to become my wife and you were growing our child inside you. It was like I was being given the most perfect gift in the world. I sort of expected someone to show up and tell me it was a mean joke, that you weren't really mine,” he explained and I started to cry again.

“That's so beautiful, Charlie. Thank you for telling me,” I eked out before another round of sobs pulled me into their grasp. Charlie was wise beyond his years; he simply manoeuvred us back onto the bench and held me while the tears subsided.

“You better now?” he asked.

“I am. It just took a while to come to terms with my being here and their not. However, I know James and Lily saw everything today,” I explained.

“So, you're not blaming yourself for surviving now?”

“How did you know?”

“My dearest, you wear that guilt rather openly. It's not seen often, but I can tell it’s there. I sometimes feel the same way about Fred, like if I'd just done something different, been somewhere else, I could have stopped it. I also know my brother well enough to know he wouldn't want me to stop enjoying life just because he died. I suspect you struggle with it a bit more than I, given how many of your surrogate family have gone before you.”

“You, Charlie Weasley, are a brilliant man. I have no idea what I did to deserve you but –” I stopped, a glowing in the distance caught my eye. “Charlie, what do you suppose that light is?” He twisted himself around so he could see the brightening light off in the distance.

“I don't know, but it seems like it's getting brighter,” he replied hesitantly even as he untangled himself from me and made to stand.

“Why is it getting brighter? Do you think it’s an automobile which turned onto our property by mistake?” This was the only possibility I could think of.

“No, I don't think so,” he answered my question. “A headlamp would be whiter, that glow is too yellow. Come on, I think we need to head over that way.”

I rose and we hastily made our way back along the path. This wasn't a part of the farm we usually went to, seeing as it was in the undeveloped portion of forest. The path which led here was twisting, and it wasn't until we were closer that I realised what direction the glow was coming from.

Panic flooded my system when I ascertained that it was in the direction of the house.

When I witnessed the arc of flame shooting into the night sky, I took off running, Charlie quickly passing me.

There was a fire on the farm, and our children were asleep in the farmhouse with only a house-elf and their nanny to protect them.
Reviews 150
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear