Search:

SIYE Time:5:29 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Brewmaster's Mystery
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 150
Summary: MMB is growing, Charlie and Seph are about to be parents and Harry and Ginny will be wed in mere months; life appears to be perfect. But when unexplained failures begin occurring around the brewery, Harry can't help but wonder if something is afoot.
Hitcount: Story Total: 88274; Chapter Total: 2566





Author's Notes:
Hello all. The song for this chapter is by Taylor Swift. Enjoy your visit with Seph's sisters, it might be the last. Starting on 5/15, a prequel for this story, "Before the Beer" will be on FF.net. Since neither Harry nor Ginny will be in it (because they're not alive yet) it's not appropriate for this site. I'm under the same name. Don't forget to look me up on Facebook as well. Thanks to Arnel and Stephanie and to all of you who read and review. MNF




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 18:
“Mean”

March 18, 2000
Seph POV:


I looked at my sister, Dora, and had a complete lack of anything to say. The silence between us was growing uncomfortable. I’d invited her over for brunch, and then we’d be meeting Phila and her family to hand over the key to the new house and have them move in. Dora was here to facilitate discussing with Phila and Angus our expectations for sharing the property. Charlie and I had decided to make it simple; they were never to cross through the forest and onto the property surrounding our home, the outbuildings or the fields without our previous approval. She’d made her opinion of me well known; I didn’t want to hear it any further. Our barrister would be participating also.

I had hoped to patch things up with at least one of my siblings; but even that was proving unlikely. It was like there was a giant, pink-spotted dragon, sitting in the corner, crocheting a bonnet and we were ignoring it. I didn’t want to bring up the disastrous Christmas dinner, but I really couldn’t move forward without discussing it. She’d thrown me to the harpies to protect herself. I deserved an apology. I didn’t see one to be forthcoming.

“Your daughters are beautiful,” she remarked while looking down at Sunny and Lively sleeping on their blanket not far from our feet. Charlie and I had been playing with them just before Dora arrived. We’d all eaten together, and now it was their morning nap time. Connor needed to have his clothes changed. Charlie had gone with him, even though Elizabeth was up in her bedroom, so I’d be discussing his desertion later. “I see so much MacPhearson in them.”

I had to choke down my laughter. My father had dark brown hair, straight as a tree trunk with eyes nearly as black as pitch. His complexion was far darker than most Scots as his mother had been born in Italy. Father had her olive colouring. Three of my sisters bore his dark skin, and another three were a combination of mother and father. I was the only one who looked entirely like an Engelsley. Both of my girls were gingers, the locks falling into sweet little curls near their faces, their eyes of pale hues and skin as fine as porcelain.

“They’ve got Daddy’s eyes,” Dora commented. “Just like my girls.”

I finally did laugh. “Dora, your husband is from India. Your daughters have his beautiful skin and hair with your green eyes. You couldn’t tell where Daddy’s pupils began due to his eyes being so dark. My daughters look like their father and me. If I had to pick anyone they resemble in our family, it would have to be Mother. Look at how the freckles tumble right over their noses, just like they did with her.” Dora’s mouth had dropped open, and she looked as though I’d punched her.

“Did you hate him this much when he was alive? Is that why you betrayed him? Wasn’t being his little princess enough for you?”

“Dora, I didn’t hate him and I don’t hate him now. I never betrayed Father, I just wouldn’t marry that old, disgusting Death Eater. As for being his princess; I stopped believing I was such when he was willing to hand me over to that repugnant man. I don’t want to have this argument with you again,” I said in an exasperated huff. “If all you’re interested in is making me feel badly for something I’d do again, then there’s no point in your being here. This is the last opportunity I will give you. Choose to dredge up the past, and you are no longer welcome in my home.”

I spoke calmly and plainly, assuming I could lose my temper later when I was with Charlie. Dora just stared at me like I’d grown a second head. I glanced over to the corner where the dragon was still working with her yarn. She shrugged her shoulders and huffed out a little puff of smoke. I shook my head, willing the image away. My mind was playing tricks again… maybe. I thought I’d served the last of the Wedded Bliss with brunch. I didn’t feel like it was just a peach lambic I’d drunk. I was feeling like I’d inadvertently shared the charmed version of Lightening Lily we were working on for the summer. Conjuring Comprehension would be a summer wheat beer charmed to give you mild hallucinations when drinking it. If I had mixed them up, I was in for a strange day. Thankfully, when I looked back, the dragon was gone. My worry might be for naught.

Dora was still staring at me. “None of us ever had the courage you do,” she quietly stated. “Permelia, she was going to make the best out of whatever marriage Father made for her. Power and prestige were her only desires in life, even as a little girl. It never surprised me that her best friend was Cissy Black. They both aspired to powerful marriages and places of privilege. I have no doubt if she’d known where you were during the war, she would have handed you over to that old coot without second thought.”

The revelation hurt, but it didn’t surprise me. I wasn’t sure where Dora was going with this, but I lacked compulsion to stop her. If this was my final talk with any of my sisters, I wanted as much information as possible. I relaxed a little sitting back in my chair. She wasn’t hostile, but even if Dora were, I doubt she’d be a physical threat to my daughters or me.

“Paderau has generally always been indifferent to you. She was nearly finished with Hogwarts when you were born. She didn’t know you enough to worry when you disappeared. Paget, well you remember, she was entirely wound up in worries. I honestly don’t think that girl ever had a day where she was happy in her life. Even when she was a little girl, she worried about everything. Looking back, it’s like she was born being a thirty-five-year-old. Mother wanted get her help, but she just clung to Father. When she got married, she clung to Harlan.”

“Maybe if she’d had some spunk in her, she would have fought back when Voldemort’s followers came into the shop that day,” I said quietly. I’d spoken with Mother in length about Harlan’s murder. Mother refused to sell them certain questionable potion ingredients in the amounts they requested. It put her and the apothecaries on a hit list. They’d arrived that awful day to take what she wouldn’t sell.

“Perhaps, but I doubt it. Paget was as destined to be taken care of just as Permelia was born to be controlling of her husband. You can’t change the basic make up of someone,” Dora countered. I’d never really considered my sisters in this way, although Dora’s observations were frighteningly accurate.

“She blamed me for his death,” I uttered.

“I know. Mila and Phila did too,” Dora told me. I wasn’t surprised. “In their hearts, we all knew it wasn’t your fault. It was just easier to blame you, especially since it was Bella Lestrange who came in demanding the ingredients.” We were silent for a minute. I struggled to comprehend how desperate my sisters must have been to blame me. “Nella and André didn’t get killed because of you either.”

“I know,” I responded calmly. This surprised Dora, who urged me on with her eyes. “They were Aurors, outnumbered and ambushed. They did their best, but the odds were against them. I’ve wondered how Mila would feel if she knew Lucius Malfoy was among the group who killed them?”

“What?”

“Didn’t you know?” She shook her head no. “The intelligence came through shortly after they were killed. Malfoy was with Crabbe, Goyle and Nott. They each had enough connections in the Ministry to evade even being questioned in the matter. I sent Sibéal to tell Mother when I learned of it. I’m shocked she never shared it.”

“She never told any of us. I had no idea,” Dora sputtered, looking forlorn and bewildered by the news. “It was so much easier to blame …” I could finish her sentence, even if she’d left the last word off. I suppose I now understood why my sister was willing to let me hang the night of the family dinner. She too blamed me.

“They’d both done a great deal of good and saved lots of people,” I comforted her as best as I could. “We should all be proud to be her sister.” I moved the edge of my chair and grabbed for her hand. She startled when I touched her, as if my hand were on fire. Though it seemed her initial reaction was to pull it away, Dora instead left her hand there, looking at my hand holding hers. A long moment passed in silence and all I could think about was somehow making Charlie walk down the back stairs with Connor and save me from this moment.

“She’s jealous of you,” Dora spoke so quietly I barely heard her.

“What? Who?”

“Phila, she’s just jealous of you. She always has been, but when you defied Father, she turned green with envy. You had done what she could only imagine.” My mouth opened and closed like my daughters’ do when they’re searching for the nipple at feeding time. I was absolutely stunned by the statement.

“Honestly, we’ve all been a little jealous of you. You’re happy. Genuinely, down to your soul happy. It’s something we’ve all dreamed of, but you’re the only one who got there. That you did it all on your own makes it all the more enviable.”

“I never meant --”

“Seph,” she said. It was the first time she’d ever said my preferred name. “I know, which is why it’s so hard for them to reconcile themselves to you; especially Phila. You were the family baby, the one we were all supposed to protect and take care of. We failed in that respect.”

I sat back, utterly unsure if the earth was still spinning or if I were in the universe I’d awoken in. I wouldn’t be surprised if I found a spell had been cast and I’d landed in an alternate one. In deference to my sanity, the pink dragon was still in her corner. At least one part of my world was normal.

Maybe I am insane. I’m calling my illusion of a crocheting, bonnet-making, pink dragon in the corner of my lounge, normal?

“Is there anything I can do? I mean, blood is blood, right? We were always taught that; family is worth more than anything. I know I hurt everyone, but I was just doing it to protect myself. I want them to like me.” The words tumbled out of me, and traitorous tears fell down. I looked at my big sister, willing her to have an answer, but it didn’t seem she did.

“Mother always said ‘charm them with kindness’, right? Do you really think that might work?” I nearly begged her.

“It won’t hurt,” she hesitantly replied. “But, we know you’re keeping secrets. Even if we can overlook the pain you caused everyone, keeping things from us, information about our parents; it makes it hard to trust you.”

I nodded, understanding how it must appear without having all the facts. “I can appreciate that; however, these secrets weren’t mine to share. Mother wanted to confide in all of us, but she was worried.”

“Why did she trust you and not us?” Dora sounded much more agitated.

“She was concerned about where your loyalties would lie if there was another war. From what you’ve said, I think she was correct in her hesitance. She didn’t want what she shared with me ending up in Voldemort’s hands.”

“So she trusted the only daughter who had betrayed her?” she snapped.

“Dora, I didn’t betray Mum. I didn’t betray Father. I simply refused to be part of a contract I had nothing to do with the creation of,” I sternly replied. “In the end, I was the only one she could trust, as I showed my loyalties throughout the first war. I may have been in hiding, but I was always part of the resistance. I never bought into the idea that our being pure-blood made us something greater than anyone else.”

“You may not have, but you certainly ensured your children of their pure-blood status.”

I couldn’t help myself, and I barked out a laugh. “I got pregnant by accident with both my pregnancies! I never once considered the blood status of either Charlie or Sirius. They could have been Muggles and I still would have loved them. As for my worries about my children’s futures, I am far more concerned about them growing up to be kind, considerate and loving people. Something they’ll learn from Charlie’s birth family rather than mine.” I only mildly regretted the last words; they were absolutely true.

An overwhelmingly oppressive silence descended between us. It was like an elastic was being stretched, and if either of us said another hurtful word, it would snap and be broken; just like our relationship. The alarm chime on my watch went off, and I breathed a sigh of relief. I had five minutes until we were to meet Phila and Angus and Chris, my barrister.

“We should be leaving,” I said before standing. As if he heard my charm as well, Charlie entered the lounge from the kitchen, carrying my sack of items for Phila. Elizabeth and Connor were behind him. Charlie got Dora’s cloak along with mine, and I kissed my son, telling him we’d be back soon. Once outside, we Disapparated to Phila’s new house.

Charlie must have known about the angry words and accusations which passed between Dora and me for he kept a protective arm around my shoulders. Chris was already waiting on the walk leading to the house. Phila and Angus were late, as usual.

“Seph, Charlie, good to see you,” Chris said, extending his hand to my husband. After shaking Charlie’s hand, he hugged me warmly. “Thank you for the lovely coverlet you brought over to Eliza. She’s quite proud to show it off to anyone who comes to her room.”

“It was our pleasure,” I explained. “We Weasley women enjoy our weekly knitting bee. It’s the perfect time to gossip and complain about our husbands or boyfriends. That we are able to create items for others is simply an added bonus.”

“Hey, what do you complain about with me?” Charlie asked, feigning hurt feelings. “I’m the perfect husband.”

“Yes, you are,” I innocently placated, quickly kissing him. “Oh, please pardon my manners, Chris, I’d like to introduce my sister Pandora Sunjay. Dora, this is Christopher Houghton, our barrister and my friend Eliza’s older brother.” The two exchanged pleasantries, although I was certain Chris could feel the tension between Dora and me. She had a small sack in her hands which she’d produced from the pocket of her cloak and restored to its normal size.

“How are the breweries doing? Have you had any more problems?” Chris asked.

“Nothing since the fire,” I replied as I shook my head. “I don’t even know if the fire was related. It could have just been mischief-making kids. The ground is thawed enough that we’re going to begin turning the soil over and seeing what we need to add to make the fields useful. Walter and I were talking about it, and we think the carbon from the burned chaff will be beneficial to the soil.”

“Always looking for the silver-lining, aren’t you Seph?” Chris asked and I just shrugged.

“Looking at life any other way just makes for an unhappy existence,” I replied quietly.

After about twenty minutes of dull, forced conversation in which I spent a great deal of energy attempting to coax Dora into speaking with us, Phila and Angus finally showed. They’d brought all their children with them, even the ones who were at Hogwarts. The children greeted Dora, Charlie and me with a sort of forced politeness, save Orla and Patrick; they were far more genuine in their greeting.

“Wonderful, we’ve all said hello now,” Phila drolly spoke. “Can we now get on with this? We have to move everything this weekend, as the children must return to Hogwarts tomorrow evening.”

“Of course,” Charlie said politely. “If you need more help, I would be willing to call my brothers and see who could come to assist?”

“We’ll be fine,” Angus said before Phila could respond. “Our children will be enough.” I bristled at words and tone. It almost sounded as if he was considering his children pack animals.

“As per the wishes of both parties,” Chris said, sounding every bit a barrister. It was quite a contrast with his warm welcome only minutes ago. “Neither family shall travel through the forest and onto the other’s property without express permission. Only in the case of emergency is this rule nullified.”

“Yes, yes, none of us want unwanted visitors,” Phila snapped again and I started counting inside my head to keep calm.

“Additionally, each family will be responsible for their own utilities, property and housing upkeep. The removal of snow, leaves, fallen tree branches and any other naturally created debris will be disposed of in the proper and timely manner by the home owner.” We all nodded our heads. I was glad Chris was here to do this, as my sister and brother-in-law were almost hostile to an outside party. I could only imagine how they would treat me if an observer weren’t present.

“Finally, the new house has been toured by the Quirkes, correct?” Chris asked and Angus curtly nodded in the affirmative. “All was considered complete and to your liking?” Again he nodded sharply. “Then all responsibilities the Weasleys had undertaken are hereby considered complete. Charlie and Seph, as well as the Weasley, MacPhearson and Engelsley estates, are no longer responsible for any problem, breakage, renovation or decorating project which is undertaken in the Quirke house or on the adjacent property, as defined by the magical borders set before construction began. Does everyone understand?”

“As if we’d ask for them to do anything for us,” Phila said under her breath and Charlie’s grip on my shoulder became tighter.

“Then all legal matters are hereby resolved,” Chris said, sounding thankful. “Here are the keys and a copy of the magically binding contract which was drawn up on 27 December 1999. Mr and Mrs Quirke, enjoy your new home.” He handed them the keys and papers and shook their hands. We’d already arranged for our copy to be kept in our vault at Gringotts. It was directly delivered the day of the signing.

“Mrs Sunjay, a pleasure to meet you. Charlie, Seph, I’ll see you Wednesday for dinner?” I nodded as he shook our hands. We were having our monthly get together with the Houghtons. Chris then turned on the spot, Disapparating away from our unhappy family gathering.

“Everything is set. You can leave now,” Phila said.

“Before we go, I have some presents for you and your family, to bless you while you’re in your new house,” I said as calmly as I could. I grabbed the handle of the handmade broom and presented it to my sister. She seemed unimpressed. “A new broom for new floors. This way you won’t bring any unpleasant memories or spirits with you from your old home.”

“Our house wasn’t infested with anything,” Angus snapped and Charlie growled at him.

“I wasn’t inferring you did, it’s just a custom,” I said in slow, deliberate syllables. I reached in for another item.

“Sweet bread, filled with raisins and dried orange. Leave it out for the Brownies, so you can entice them to assist you and your household,” I explained. Neither Phila nor Angus made a movement to take it, so I handed it to Patrick. He took it and mouthed thank-you. I wondered if I should go on. It was only hearing my mother’s voice, reminding me to “kill them with kindness” which convinced me to continue.

“A bunch of blue flowers,” I remarked as I drew the nosegay of cornflowers, delphinium, bluebells and hydrangeas from the sack. Eva was standing closest, so I handed it to the teen. She responded by bringing them to her nose and sniffing. “Carrying the blessing of peace for your household.”

“They smell lovely, Auntie Seph. Thank you,” the girl said kindly. Her mother chose to glare at her in response.

“Lastly, here are four pouches, labelled as to which corner they go in, preferably on the first floor. Douse them with the Firewhiskey to make the magic stronger,” I quickly went through, shoving the sack containing the satchels and the bottle toward Angus. Right now I was glad I’d gone with the cheap stuff, rather than Ogden’s finest. “Enjoy your house.”

I turned on my heel and headed down the walk, Charlie holding onto me firmly. I just wanted to get home and see my children, and attempt to forget how rotten my sisters had been today. A loud screeching sound made me pause and turn around. Phila was fawning over the small plant Dora had brought with her as a housewarming gift.

“I don’t know why I expected anything other than a grunt from that pig,” I said softly, and Charlie started to laugh, loudly.

“Are you okay?” he asked and I nodded.

“Nothing that a short walk through the woods and some hugs and kisses from my children and husband won’t cure,” I explained and my husband, being as attentive as he is, kissed me soundly, right there on the path which lead into the forest.

He didn’t question it further as we walked into the darkening forest. We were silent, but not uncomfortably so. Listening to the birds chirping, seeing the first spring flowers popping out from the underbrush; it was the best medicine there is. I was startled when I heard a girl calling my name.

“Auntie Seph, please wait,” she cried and I turned to see Orla running toward us. Charlie and I stopped to see what she needed.

“Orla, are you alright? Is everything okay with your parents?” Charlie asked with concern. The girl was breathing heavy, so instead of speaking, she nodded her head.

“Everyone’s fine,” she said when she’d caught her breath. “I just wanted to ask you about the spell bags. Was that the Four Corners spell?”

“It was,” I answered. “How did you know about it?”

“I’m very good in Herbology,” she explained. “I did an essay about it last year. I got an Outstanding. If you don’t mind my asking, what herbs did you use for the different corners? I know there’s some debate about which are best.”

“I went with the traditional blends,” I explained. “Three in each direction, save West, which has four.” We went on to talk about the specific blends, and she was surprised I was able to get the civet oil and storax resin. “It’s all about knowing your apothecary well. I deal with several of them in different countries. Because I pass them so much business, I can usually get any item I require.”

“That explains it,” she said. “Even Professor Sprout said getting your hands on some of these ingredients was difficult if not impossible. I know my Mum won’t appreciate what you’ve done, but I do. Thank you for caring enough. I’ll make sure they’re put in the correct places, and that Dad doesn’t drink all the Firewhiskey before I can soak them.”

I wasn’t sure what to say, but I could tell from her words and the distressed look in her eyes, there was a story there. I somehow suspected home life wasn’t what she hoped for.

“I should be getting back, she doesn’t know I left. I just wanted to say thank you. Patrick, Eva and I appreciate your efforts. We actually think you’re pretty cool. Way cooler than any of our other aunts. Eva and I also think Uncle Charlie is the best looking uncle we’ve got. It’s too bad all his brothers are taken.” We all chuckled at this.

“I think he’s pretty hot too. His brother George is unattached,” I suggested. “He’s not that much older than you.” Orla laughed heartily.

“My Mum would go mad if I started dating your brother-in-law. She’s got some crazy ideas about who I’m going to marry. She’s going to be rather disappointed, since neither Eva nor I plan to let them make matches for us. I’d better be going. Thanks again.” She began to scamper along the path, but I called to her.

“Orla,” she turned around at hearing her name. “When you’re home from school, you and your siblings are welcome to visit. I’d love to talk about plants with you.”

“Thanks, Auntie Seph. I look forward to it.” She turned as was swallowed by the tree trunks quickly. I stood there, looking at the spot she disappeared into for a long while.

“Maybe there’s hope for them yet,” I whispered. “At least the next generation, maybe.”


Reviews 150
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear