Search:

SIYE Time:14:36 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Legwork
By alicia rose potter

- Text Size +

Category: Ginny's Accomplishment Challenge (2012-2), Ginny's Accomplishment Challenge (2012-2)
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Other
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: Mild Language, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 43
Summary: *** Winner of Best Overall & Most Adventurous in the Ginny’s Accomplishment Challenge ***
*** Winner of The People’s Choice Award, a tie, in the Ginny’s Accomplishment Challenge ***
legwork n. \ˈleg-ˌwərk\ The work done in preparation or to create the basis for the stated task. ex. research done in order to write an essay Submitted for Ginny's Accomplishment Challenge.
Hitcount: Story Total: 25236; Chapter Total: 3176







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


And here's the last full chapter of Legwork, despite final essays and presentations and such things. I did, in fact, finish the epilogue, and it’s been posted as well. Enjoy!


Ginny slipped through the door to the Room of Requirement to see everyone else already there. Terry was holding up a plain black quill with a small tag hanging from it.

“This is what we’ve been working on for the last two weeks,” Michael said.

“That’s a quill,” Ginny said, working her way to the front. Anthony read the tag, shuffled through some parchment, and tapped one of the sheets. The quill turned green.

“That’s a quill of a different color,” she said flatly. “I really don’t understand what’s so special.”

“The one thing you didn’t have for Legwork was a way to communicate, Ginny. Anthony, Terry, and I have fixed that problem for you,” Michael said. “Everyone’s got their own quill that’s linked to their name on the three sets of parchment, one for each house leader,” Michael said. “You can change the color of your quill, or the names on the parchment can be changed by the leader. You’ve got different colors for different teams; any change indicates the person who made the change has a message to pass on.”

“We made one for every student, even if they’re not in Legwork, so we can alert each other to any emergencies,” Terry added. “If someone needs rescuing, or overhears something urgent, they can turn their quill red and we’ll know to find them as fast as we can.”

“How-”Ginny began, stunned.

“A lot of Protean Charms,” Anthony said dryly. “It was tricky, but,” he glanced at his friends, “worth it.”

“This is brilliant,” Hannah said as she looked over her roll of parchment. “Now we don’t have to risk passing notes or whispering in the halls! Everyone’s got quills in strange colors, so no one will notice.”

Ginny took her quill and her parchment from Anthony. “You three are the best,” she said fervently. “Thank you.” Terry flushed, Anthony shrugged, and Michael grinned. “Now catch up on your sleep, would you? You need to be functional from here on out!”

“Yes, Mummy Gin,” they chorused. Ginny rolled her eyes and headed back to Gryffindor Tower to start giving out the quills.



Neville watched Ginny shuffle through the Legwork messages spread over a table in the common room. “How’s it going, Ginny?” he asked cautiously. Organizing all the details of Legwork drove Ginny mad, but she refused to let anyone else help her. She’d created a detailed map she called her master plan of all the Legwork teams, with their requests and ideas written in red ink until she could send them on to the proper person or team.

“Beatrix wants the DA to get her Abyssinian Shrivelfig for Shrinking Solutions,” Ginny muttered. “Michael and Demelza decided the Room can get big enough for flying practice after all, but they can’t overlap with the DA.”

Neville pulled up a chair next to her. “What’s this bigger stack?” he asked. Normally the requests came on scraps of parchment that could be hidden more easily.

“Those are the first set of Basic reports,” Ginny said, smiling proudly. “Everyone knows how to use their quill, and nearly everyone can manage a decent shield charm,” she said. “Lavender taught Susan and Anwen, the girl from Ravenclaw, a charm for plaiting so the girls are always ready to go.” Neville looked sideways at Ginny, whose long red hair was wound into a heavy knot at the back of her head.

“I’d noticed you’d started putting your hair up after your encounter with Carrow,” he said in a casual voice.

“It can be dangerous when it’s loose, actually,” she said in a level voice. “It’s easier for someone to grab it that way.” She looked him straight in the eye when she said it, but she was fiddling with her opal. Neville sighed. She was almost a good enough liar to fool him, but he wouldn’t press her tonight.

“I’d never thought about it,” he said mildly, “being a boy and all.” Ginny smirked.

“Alright, off with you,” she said. “I need to write up new Basic instructions for everyone and plan a DA raid on the green houses. It’s about time for a prank, too, or they’ll think we’re too quiet,” she trailed off, studying her master plan.

“Don’t stay up awful late,” Neville said, retreating. Ginny just waved at him, immersed in her planning.



“What did Professor Sprout want?” Demelza asked Ginny after Herbology.

“She gave me seed packets and told me she’d be leaving the greenhouses unlocked Monday nights,” Ginny said. “We won’t have to break in anymore, just avoid getting caught!”

“She gave you seeds?” Demelza asked. Ginny shrugged as she cleared off her desk and tipped the seeds out of the first package.

“They don’t look like normal seeds, do they,” she said, puzzled. “They’re kind of…square.” Demelza poked them, her eyes narrowed.

“Engorgio,” she said, waving her wand. The seeds expanded rapidly into a large number of texts, which cascaded off of Ginny’s desk onto the floor.

“The Healer’s Helpmate, Common Magical Ailments and Afflictions, Magical Drafts and Potions, The Standardized Classification of Medical Potions, The Handbook of Medicinal Herbology- Ginny, can you believe this? These are the professors’ personal copies!”

“Look, Melz, there’s a note in this one,” Ginny said. “It’s from Madame Pomfrey- these are my texts from when I studied to be a Healer. I’ve annotated them for Imogen.” She tipped out the other packet and enlarged them, revealing a number of advanced transfiguration and charms texts. Ginny immediately recognized Professor McGonagall’s neat script on the accompanying note.

“These could be of use to you. Good luck,” Ginny read. She looked up at Demelza. “They know, Melz, and they’re helping us! They think we’re doing something worthwhile!”

“Of course they do,” Demelza said, stacking the books on Ginny’s desk. “We are doing something worthwhile.”

“Yeah,” Ginny whispered, staring at the stacks of books. “We are.”



“Alright ducks, groups of four,” Kinsey Drummond shouted. “Fadime, Mason and I will be rotating through doing exercises or teaching moves. When we’re not with you, you’d better be working on your core, or I’ll ask the Room for the steps!” Everyone in the Muggle Techniques class groaned. Kinsey had an endless supply of exercises that involved a horrifying number of steps.

Ginny grouped up with Neville, Luna, and Terry. They began without an instructor.

“Crunches?” Terry asked.

“Time me to see how long I can hold a plank,” Luna said fiercely. Ginny looked sadly at her oldest friend. Being the Ravenclaw Legwork leader and fighting the Carrows had forced the dreamy girl to give up much of her whimsy. Luna was quieter than she ever had been, and when she spoke she was determined and focused.

“We’ll all time it,” Neville said. “Starting…now.” Sweat burned Ginny's eyes as her body shook. Who knew just holding this awkward position could be this difficult? Terry, Ginny and Neville collapsed to the ground, and after a moment, rolled over and started doing crunches.

Luna raised her head slightly. “How long?” she asked. Neville checked his watch.

“Four minutes and fifty-seven…eight…nine…” Luna relaxed her pose and sat up.

“Five minutes is good,” she said. She didn’t look like she’d exerted herself at all. The other three stared at her. “I practice,” Luna said, shrugging. “No one will get me if I can help it.” Ginny shook her head as Fadime approached, awed by Luna’s sheer determination.

“I’m teaching a low sweep kick today,” Fadime began. “It’s good for dealing with opponents who are larger than you are.” Ginny grinned. “I’ll demonstrate on Terry, if he doesn’t mind.”

“Me? Are you mad?” Terry asked incredulously. “I must way three stone more than you.”

“Exactly,” Fadime said steadily. “You won’t hurt me, if that’s what you’re worried about. Come at me as if you wanted to pin my arms to my side,” she instructed.

As Terry complied Fadime crouched slightly, snapped her leg out and pivoted. She caught Terry across the shins, and he toppled over with a crash.

“And I suppose that’s what they mean when they say the biggest ones fall the hardest,” Ginny said, snickering. Fadime smiled slightly.

“Now you practice while I watch,” she directed them, pairing Ginny and Neville together and Luna with a grimacing Terry. “See if Imogen will give you bruise paste for your shins afterwards,” she added, seeing Terry’s face.

Ginny sized up Neville, who was a good head taller than she was. He set his jaw and rushed at her, and Ginny did her best to mimic Fadime’s kick. Her leg collided with Neville’s shins, sending him tumbling, but Ginny’s leg tangled with his and she ended up on the ground next to him. Fadime chuckled.

“Not a bad first try,” she encouraged. “Just a little more follow-through. Try it again, Ginny,” Fadime said. Ginny scrambled to her feet and stood across from Neville. This time she had it.



Ginny stood next to Demelza as the Hogwarts students were marched to the carriages. Snape had organized them by house and year “to facilitate student management.” On the train, they were herded into the first available compartment, forcing them to sit with their year mates instead of the normal jumble. Ginny fidgeted; she wished Neville and Luna could join them.

Christmas had never looked so bleak, Ginny mused as she watched the grayish brown landscape flash past. It hadn’t even snowed properly yet. Demelza made a half-hearted attempt to distract her, but Ginny couldn’t focus. She continued to stare out the window, tracing the outline of her opal.

Ginny had never been so glad to see King’s Cross. She hugged Demelza fiercely and rushed out of the compartment to find Luna and Neville. She stopped short at the sight of a white-faced Neville trying to comfort a shaking Beatrix McGregor. Ginny had never seen Luna’s year mate be anything other than logical and in control.

“Neville, what-” Ginny asked. “Where is Luna?”

“G-g-g-gone,” Beatrix stuttered out.

“Gone?” Ginny whispered. “Gone where? Did Xenophilius come?”

“They took her off the train,” Neville said. “She gave them hell, but she still was no match for them.”

“I’m so sorry, Ginny,” Beatrix said. “I tried, but-”

“It’s not your fault,” Ginny said robotically. “You’d better go find your parents, Beatrix.” Neville gave Beatrix a small smile as she walked away, and turned to Ginny.

“You ok, Ginny?” he asked. Ginny glared at him. Neville put his hands on her shoulders.

“I don’t mean happy and dandy and all that nonsense,” Neville said in a low voice. “You can’t be. None of us can. I’m asking if you’re ok to function, because we can’t be at less than our best.”

“The Carrows are getting hell when we get back,” Ginny responded. Neville smiled sadly at her.

“That’s the Ginny I know,” he said. “Now go find your mum before she sends a Howler.”

Ginny hugged Neville. “Stay safe, would you? I need you to come back,” she said. Neville nodded. “Happy Christmas, then,” she said.

“Happy Christmas, Ginny,” he replied.



Neville stumbled into the common room, sporting a black eye and a gash down the left side of his face.

“Neville!” Ginny shouted, springing up.

“Carrows got us,” Neville said slowly, wincing. “Michael and Hannah got the Cruciatus for ages.”

“And how long did you get it for?” Ginny demanded. Neville curled the right side of his mouth.

“They said longer,” he admitted. His eyes were unfocused and lined with pain.

“Colton!” Ginny yelled. Colton had surprised everyone in Legwork by becoming Gryffindor Tower’s Healer. He came crashing down the boys’ staircase, slipping down the last several steps when he saw Neville. His lips compressed into a thin line and he ran back up the stairs, reappearing with his kit.

“Sit,” Colton said tightly, handing him a pain potion. Neville knocked back the vial without looking at it. “What happened?” Colton asked as he began cleaning out the gash on Neville’s face.

“Didn’t set a guard,” Neville said. “Slicing curses, Cruciatus, kicked in the ribs.”

“Why didn’t you set a guard?” Ginny asked in a dangerous voice.

“The three of us needed to set the prank simultaneously, Ginny,” Neville said.

“You went on a job short people!” Ginny exploded. “And you wouldn’t let me go! I could’ve saved you this! I can’t protect you if you shut me up in this tower, you git! I can’t lose anyone else!”

“Ginny, get in my kit and find a vial with a blue label,” Colton commanded. “Neville, stop talking while I knit this back together or it’ll pucker.”

Ginny’s hands were shaking as she dug through the kit, but she found a vial with a pale blue label.

“This one?” she asked. Colton glanced up and nodded. He took the vial and yanked the stopper out. Swiftly he grabbed Ginny’s nose and dumped the potion into her mouth. Ginny reflexively swallowed most of the liquid, choking and sputtering.

“What the bloody-”

“Calming Draught,” Colton said steadily. “You were getting hysterical.” Ginny sat abruptly on the couch next to Neville, who was fingering the new skin on his cheek.

“Bed, both of you. You’re worthless all juiced up like this,” Colton lectured, handing Neville the nerve-soothing potion. He snapped his kit shut and stomped away.

“Crank,” Ginny muttered.

“Caring heart,” Neville said. “We scared him.” Ginny huffed, but she couldn’t get angry with the Calming Draught in her system.

“Promise me you’ll ask for help next time, Neville. I meant what I said. I can’t lose you.” Neville stood up and pulled Ginny off the couch.

“You won’t,” he said. “I’ll always be here.” Ginny sniffed and hugged Neville fiercely.

“Good,” she said. “Now go to bed.” Her eyes were dry when she pulled away, and Neville ached for his friend. Sometimes Ginny was too strong for her own good.



Lavender looked up as Ginny stumbled into the common room, exhausted after a Muggle Techniques session with Fadime, Kinsey, and Mason. Scowling, Lavender grabbed Ginny and towed her up the stairs. Shoving Ginny towards her bed, Lavender strode over to her wardrobe and started rummaging around inside it.

“What are you doing?” Ginny asked, outraged.

“Making sure you last until Easter! You’re so exhausted you’re grey.” Lavender’s voice was slightly muffled from inside her wardrobe. “Take a break,” she ordered, tossing a small paperback book at Ginny.

“Fifi LaFolle? Seriously, Lav?” she said, reading the gaudy cover.

“It’s a good laugh, Ginny,” Lavender said, “and you need to relax. You’re running yourself into the ground, and we need you. So you are going to snuggle in that bed and read until I say so.”

“And they say I’m the mum,” Ginny muttered, strangely touched. Lavender smirked and perched on a stool in front of the mirror, a bottle of charmed nail polish in hand.

Ginny opened the book indiscriminately. Seeing as there wasn’t ever a real plot, it didn’t matter. She snorted at the scene she found herself reading. Cordelia Montmorency was meeting with her lover, Bertram DeVere. Cordelia smiled seductively up at Bertram before whispering, “Tollera panno,” and Vanishing Bertram’s clothes. And that, Ginny thought, is the epitome of a useless spell. Unless…

Ginny looked up at Lavender surreptitiously. She was painting her nails and not paying any attention to Ginny.

“Tollera panno,” Ginny whispered, pointing her wand at Lavender. Lavender shrieked and fell off the stool.

“Ginevra Weasley!” she shouted, scrambling for her dressing robe. “What the bloody hell was that for?” Ginny clutched the Fifi LaFolle novel to her chest, shaking with laughter.

“Goodness knows you needed a laugh,” Lavender grumbled, “but really?”

“Come off it, Lav. You’ve lived in a dormitory with two other girls for six years. And you always moan about the old t-shirt you were wearing anyway.” Lavender did not look appeased.

“Actually, I had an idea for that spell,” Ginny said.

“Alright,” Lavender said warily.

“We can use it to fight the Death Eaters,” Ginny said, a sly smile on her face.

Lavender looked at Ginny in consternation. “Ginny, you’re a brilliant fighter, but you’ve completely lost it. That’s a Fifi LaFolle novel you’re reading.”

“You were sitting in your own dormitory with only a friend nearby, and you shrieked to high heavens and fell off the stool when I hit you with it. Can you imagine what the Death Eaters’ responses would be like?” Ginny countered.

Lavender winced. “Not sure I want to see that much of a Death Eater,” she said. “But yes, I think I can see it. A distraction tactic. Naked wizards have contributed very little to Magical civilization,” she said pompously, “particularly when they didn’t intend to be naked!”

“Exactly,” said Ginny.

Lavender snickered. “You’re pure evil, Ginny Weasley, pure evil.”



Ginny chewed on the end of her quill as she watched the colorful list of names on her set of parchment. It was the Friday night before Easter holidays, and Beatrix had corralled her team and the DA into an extra session of potions making to finish everything up before the holiday. DA members had smuggled ingredients in from the greenhouses several hours ago and were now standing guard and smuggling the finished jars of burn paste to the Room. Neville had flatly refused when Ginny had tried to come along.

“You’re leaving tomorrow, Ginny,” he’d told her. “You also haven't slept more than four hours a night, for that matter. Pack your trunk and go to bed early.”

Ginny growled. As if she could sleep while they were risking their necks. No, she’d sit here until every one of them was safely back in their dormitories. Someone needed to be watching the parchment in case-

Wren’s name turned red.

Ginny swore violently. Thad’s name changed too, followed closely by Ginger’s. Ginny snatched up the parchment and her wand. Lavender and Seamus were by her side instantly.

“What-” Seamus began.

“My firsties,” Ginny hissed. “Ready?” Lavender flicked her wand at her loose hair, which wove itself into a complicated crown of plaits.

They met Ginger on the first staircase. “The corridor going to the room you saved me from,” she gasped as Ginny snatched her up. “Please help them all, Mummy Gin. They can’t protect them for long.”

“Good girl, Ginger. Stay in the common room now,” she told the small girl, releasing her. Ginger nodded and fled to the common room.

“Help them all?” Lavender asked as they took off to the dungeons. Ginny ignored the query as they charged through several short-cuts Hannah had shown them. Seamus rounded the corner first and stopped abruptly. Lavender flew past them and joined Thad and Wren, who were standing over two huddled students and casting shield charm after shield charm at four Slytherin boys. Seamus covered her with stunners, knocking one of the boys to the floor. The other three were no match for Ginny and Seamus.

Wren ran to Ginny. “I knew you’d come,” she said breathlessly. “I knew you’d help us, even though-”

“What the bloody hell were you thinking?” Seamus bellowed. Wren winced. “You were protecting Slytherins!” Ginny raised her eyes slowly to the two students huddled around Lavender. Lavender was looking down at the two blonde heads, horrified.

“They’re not bad guys,” Thad yelled back. “They can get hurt just the same as us!”

“Snakes, the lot of them!” Seamus roared. Ginny saw a tear on the girl’s face and sprang to her feet.

“Just one minute, Seamus,” Ginny said. She eyed the pair for a moment. “Who are you?” she asked finally.

“Viktor Razin,” the boy said, “and my sister is Vasalisa. We are new here this year.” Viktor’s thick Russian accent confirmed that, at least.

“Papa wishes to be here, but we do not,” Vasalisa added. “We wish to go home.” Viktor placed a hand on his older sister’s shoulder.

“They’re not bad,” Wren said insistently. “Me and Thad kind of like them.”

“Thad and I,” Ginny murmured. “Lav, can you walk them back to their common room? Seamus and I’ll stuff these goons somewhere and wait for you.”

“I’m going with her,” Seamus growled.

“Fine,” Ginny snapped. “Take Wren and Thad, and go straight to the common room then.” Ginny kneeled and looked at her first years.

“Those were marvelous shield charms, you two,” she said. “I’m proud of you for protecting everyone. Now, go with Seamus and Lavender and stay safe.” Wren shyly took Vasalisa’s hand and the six of them hurried from the corridor.

Ginny surveyed the Slytherins lying on the ground around her. She shoved her wand in her back pocket and started dragging the nearest one to the empty classroom.

“Bitch! That’s my brother!”

Ginny dropped the boy and whirled around, fumbling for her wand. There was a flash of light and nothing else.



“Neville! I found her!”

“No, Ginny, no, don’t be-”

“Somebody go get Imogen, now!”

Ginny heard footsteps sprinting down the corridor. Everything was bloody freezing.

“C’mon, Ginny, don’t do this now. You said you were going to make it to Easter without a scratch, and you were so close.” Neville sounded more distraught then Ginny could ever remember him being. Gently he took her hand; Ginny relished the warmth. Slowly she forced her eyes open.

“Ginny!” Neville gasped.

“Cold,” she rasped. Neville cast a warming charm as Ginny heard two sets of feet running back up the corridor.

“Move, Seamus,” Imogen said briskly. Ginny frowned. Seamus was supposed to be taking her firsties back to their common room.

“Seams…firsts?” she ground out as she tried to sit up. A line of fire ran up her abdomen and chest, forcing her to fall back to the floor.

“You’re the only one in danger at the moment, Ginny,” Imogen said sharply. “Neville, get behind her and lift her up so I can give her these without her choking.” Ginny tried not to whimper as Neville lifted her head and shoulders into his lap.

“I’m sorry, Ginny, I’m sorry,” Neville whispered. Ginny was too busy swallowing whatever Imogen was putting at her lips to try to reassure him.

“We need to move, Imogen.”

“I need to have this wound closed up five minutes ago,” Imogen snapped back.

“Would you rather have the Carrows find us?”

“Oh alright. Be careful with her. And hurry.” Arms slid under Ginny’s knees and shoulders, and the flagstones vanished. Ginny turned her head to the shoulder of whoever had lifted her and let her swirling mind fall back into darkness.



Ginny stood in front of the mirror in her dormitory the next morning, studying the shiny red scar that ran from her right collarbone to her left hip. Ginny had recognized Sectumsempra as soon as Imogen said it was a Dark slicing curse. After all, George had lost an ear to it. And it had been almost a year ago Harry cast the same spell at Draco Malfoy, giving him a scar that mirrored Ginny’s.

Imogen had felt awful she couldn’t do anything more for the scar, but by the amount of blood on Terry and Neville, who’d found her, she was lucky to be alive. Seamus was beside himself with guilt. Ginny had never been particularly vain, but it was still strange to see. Ginny turned her back to the mirror, threw on her top, and grabbed her rucksack.

Even though he was staying at Hogwarts for Easter, Neville had woken up early enough to meet her in the common room. He took her rucksack as they walked to the Entrance Hall. Ginny and Neville stood off to the side for a moment, watching Filch line students up by house and year again.

“Don’t do anything stupid while I’m not there,” Neville said.

“Only if you promise to do the same,” Ginny replied.

“Happy Easter, then,” he said finally.

“Happy Easter, Neville.” She took her rucksack fback rom him and walked swiftly away.



Interesting side notes: Tollera panno is Latin for remove cloth (although it’s grammatically incorrect). Cordelia Montmorency and Bertram DeVere are names taken from Anne of Green Gables, which is one of my favorite books of all time. I guess I’m addicted to red-headed heroines, though you couldn’t find two more different than Anne and Ginny.

I wrote this chapter in a slightly different style; ten shorter scenes rather than a few long ones. I’m experimenting a bit, and I’d love thoughts on what worked (or not) and why.
Reviews 43
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear