Search:

SIYE Time:7:52 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Leap of Faith
By st122

- Text Size +

Category: Ginny's Accomplishment Challenge (2012-2), Ginny's Accomplishment Challenge (2012-2)
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Humor
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 29
Summary: *** Winner of On the Dangerous Side in the Ginny’s Accomplishment Challenge ***
*** Winner of The People’s Choice Award, a tie, in the Ginny’s Accomplishment Challenge ***
Ginny, tired of how things are going with the war, decides to begin a club to help. First, she needs to obtain the services of certain boy.
Hitcount: Story Total: 10453; Chapter Total: 2263





Author's Notes:
Hi, I really hope this comes out right and I hope you enjoy it.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Ripples formed inside the half empty goblet before me as another explosion shook the school. Voldemort and his Death Eaters were getting too close. Apart from the approaching horde of men trying to kill all the students, parents and professors huddled inside the Great Hall there was one problem; Harry, Hermione and Ron had not returned from their year long Horcrux hunt. The fact that I communicated with Hermione and coordinated the entire search for all the Horcruxes was a closely guarded secret, not even Ron knew. Harry would probably throw a fit when he finds out what I’d been up to the entire year.

I glanced at the charmed coin lying on the palm of my open hand. Frustratingly, Hermione’s last message still remained unchanged. I read it once more, ‘Entering Gringotts’. They’d gone after the cup, the last Horcrux remaining apart from Nagini. My fist clenched around the coin, I tried not to think about Harry. I pursed my lips, trying hard to forget my fears.

Harry had been gone from my life for almost an entire year. Bill’s wedding had been the last time I’d been able to see him. To hold his hand. To feel his lips against mine. I longed to be held again. Another loud boom reverberated through the school. Time was beginning to run out.

My parents were talking with McGonagall as they tried to organise a layered defence within the Hall. Bill and Charlie were trying to place protective runes before students. Fred and George seemed to be placing the finishing touches on some defences, rather pranks without the laugh. Percy skulked about, still ashamed, but at least he had come.

Neville glanced nervously at me and then the coin. It forced me to stop dwelling on things I could not change. “They’ve not said anything more.” I watched helplessly as another small piece of hope faded from his gaze. I desperately wanted the coin to grow warm. But it remained cold, the old message unmoving.

“Best get ready for the attack.” Neville slid off the bench. The group of Gryffindors beside us did the same. I followed and together we flipped the heavy table onto its side. The thick wood would hopefully form a good barrier.

All the while I wandered if Harry had made it out of Gringotts alive. My thoughts were not allowed to dwell on him as the large doors to the Great Hall exploded inwards. I ducked behind our table. Splintered wood and shattered stones flew overhead. A few muted thuds told of debris digging into the table. All around students dove for cover behind their own makeshift defences. A few were caught in the open. I watched in horror as their bodies were thrown backwards. Only a few managed to crawl to safety. Most remained motionless. There was little time to come to terms with what I’d seen as spells started to fly across the hall; red, orange and even sickly green.

I glanced around the edge of our wooden wall. My wand came round and I found a target, the first of many. I could not hear my own shouts as spell after spell screeched from the tip of my wand towards the chest of some foul Death Eater after another. A lump, however, formed in my throat when Voldemort strode into the room, but hope blossomed. Nagini slithered into the hall behind the man.

Beside me, Neville’s eyes grew wide. I had to act. “You know what to do.”

He nodded and I chanced a glance across the hall to Luna, who fought beside my brothers. I pointed at the snake. They nodded. “Moving onto plan S3,” I shouted over the din of battle at Neville. His expression grew sombre, but he nodded. I dug into my pocket, grabbed another coin and visualised S3. I hoped the other trusted students in the hall who still lived would be able to help.

“Shall we get on with this?” Neville said firmly. He winced as a powerful spell thudded against our table. “We might only get one chance at this, Ginny.”

“Let’s make it count.” I glanced around the table again and located Voldemort or more importantly the snake.

“You got the sword?” I nodded in reply to Neville’s question. I dug into a small pouch that Hermione had charmed. The sword helped me relax as my fingers encircled the handle. Neville took a few deep breaths. His wand held ready to cast the purple signal. “Ready?”

I tried to steady my nerves, but just as I was about to nod the table behind which we hid disintegrated. A piece of wood sliced a deep cut along my cheek and the world grew oddly quiet except for the incessant ringing in my ears. Through the smoke and falling debris I watched as Neville tried to crawl away. He barely moved. Death Eaters were turning their wands on him.

Fighting my own disorientation, blurred vision and other pains, I pushed myself up onto my feet. I reached for Neville’s hand and began to pull him towards the safety of another defensive line of desks and runes. Fellow Gryffindors helped to distract those trying to kill us.

I propped Neville up against the wall. His lips moved, but I could not make out the words. I shook my head and tried to show that I was temporarily deaf. I doubt he understood. There was nothing to done about my problem. What we had to do was finish what needed doing. I grabbed his shirt to get his attention and proceeded to point at the bag containing the sword. Neville understood. Every member of my society did. The ultimate goal was to kill Voldemort, even if it meant sacrificing ourselves.

His mouth moved. It looked like he asked if I was ready. I nodded, my legs were fine. His wand slowly lifted in the air and a purple light flared brightly throughout the hall. For a brief moment people appeared stunned, but not me. I was up and running as fast as my legs could carry my small form across the hall. The world around me blossomed into a multi-coloured light display. All about me Death Eaters dissolved under the concentrated barrage of plan S3.

Everyone knew someone would be charging the snake. Everyone knew the person running would probably be on a one way mission. Everyone knew the runner would be their only hope of killing the snake — the Horcrux. But no one knew, except Neville, that I would be the one doing the sprinting. It was my plan, so I would be the one taking the risk.

The lack of hearing proved a blessing as the blasts barely hindered my movements. Stone blasted fragments cut into my arms and legs, but I kept my head down, covered my face with my left arm, and ran. The thick body of Nagini moved lethargically about behind Voldemort. The man himself was preoccupied duelling McGonagall, Snape and Flitwick. The three Professors were doing a fine job, so good in fact that Voldemort did not see me coming towards his snake.

The bag in my hand fell to the floor. The Sword of Gryffindor emerged gleaming brightly from the hundreds of candles burning in the hall. I think I was yelling, my throat was sore enough for me to be, but I was overcome by rage. The sword held high above my head came crashing down and I felt the satisfying friction of sword passing through snake.

I did not look back. The blood smear halfway up the blade was sign enough that I’d sliced Nagini in two. With the Horcrux destroyed I only had one mission left. Stay alive long enough to see Harry one more time. We had unfinished business, something I alone knew about.

The stone floor beside me absorbed spell after spell as I ran, but my petite and nimble body evaded everything cast in my direction. Boosted by my heroics, the staff and students began to turn the tide of the battle. No matter how hard the Death Eaters tried, I remained safe, and eventually I dove behind the cover of a group of seventh year Huffelpuffs who were part of the DA and my society. Their shields and spells kept me safe and within minutes the school was clear of Death Eaters and Voldemort.

Our lines had not only held, but repelled the attack as well. I felt my spirits lifting. People congratulated me or so I think. My hearing only returned after Madame Pomfrey checked on me.

“That was foolish, young lady,” the nurse scowled. Her tone, however, hinted at pride.

I shrugged. “It needed to be done, Madame Pomfrey.”

She shook her head. “Seems like a foolish charge to kill a snake.”

“It was more than a snake. The snake’s death is key to winning.”

Madame Pomfrey frowned, but there were too many wounded for her to pursue the line of questioning.

“You look like hell.” I glanced up at the familiar voice.

“Harry!” I leapt into his arms. His face looked pale and various cuts lined each cheek. He looked almost as bad as I felt. “You don’t look your best either.”

He almost smiled. It faded into concern as he wiped some blood off my cheek with a sleeve. “I saw what you did. I never thought I would see the day that Ginny Weasley with the Sword of Gryffindor in hand would slice a snake in half.” This time he did laugh. “Remind me to never make you angry.” The smile vanished from my face and I looked away. I only noticed the tears after Harry’s hand brushed them aside. “I missed you all year and I’ve been waiting months to say something.” How dare he look so amazing after all he’d been through? “I love you, Ginny.”

“Harry, don’t.” I clung to him as he spoke the last words I had wanted to hear. Yet they were the same ones I had yearned for. “Don’t say that.”

“Why not?” He questioned. “Don’t you love me?” I sensed the hurt in his voice.

“More than you or anyone can ever know.” I replied.

“So what’s the problem then?”

My mind drifted back to a conversation I’d had with Dumbledore a few days before his death.



“Miss Weasley,” Dumbledore said as he sat behind his desk. The blackened hand looked worse than ever. “It’s come to my attention that you have formed a society of sorts.”

I tried to lie, but the man obviously knew. “Yes, we…”

“No need to explain. I dare say I enjoy the flare you’ve brought to the dark corridors of Hogwarts with your jumping, but it’s not that club I was referring to.” He chuckled. “I’m more interested in The Society of Saving My Bloody Boyfriend.”

“I see,” I replied slowly.

“I find it quite remarkable what you and Hermione have accomplished. I dare say my observations of your sessions have taught me a thing or two.”

“You’ve been watching us?” I said in surprise.

He smiled knowingly. “Few things escape my knowing within these walls.”

I tried to remain calm. “So what is it that you would like to talk to me about, Professor?”

His expression grew sombre. “I need to ask a very personal question.” He paused for a moment. “Do you love Harry?”

“Of course,” I said fiercely.

Dumbledore nodded knowingly. “Does he love you in return?”

“He’s not said so in words, but I believe he does… What is this about Professor?”

The man aged before my eyes. “I’m afraid that my news is not for the faint of heart.”

“Good thing I’m a Gryffindor then,” I retorted.

“You do have spirit, Miss Weasley.” He smiled in fatherly manner. “You’ll need all the bravery and courage you can muster for what lies ahead.”

“Why do I get the feeling that I won’t like where this is going.”

“Because you most definitely will not.”

“Great,” I sighed and collapsed against the backrest of my chair.

“You know all about the Horcruxes and that Harry is himself one.” I nodded and waited for him to continue. “I’m sure you understand that this puts Harry in a very precarious position.”

“Understatement,” I muttered.

“So we have an understanding. Harry is in grave danger and there are only two options available for him to survive.”

“Only two?” I asked in a voice suddenly wary.

“Only two I’m afraid.” Again I waited for the Headmaster to elaborate. “The first is for Voldemort himself to kill Harry. It must be the Avada Kedavra and it must be from his own lips.” I opened my mouth to protest. “This will kill only Voldemort’s soul, leaving Harry’s intact.”

“Kind of risky, what if he decided to go for a cutting hex?”

“Then Harry’s body will die along with both pieces of soul trapped within him. That’s why it must be the killing curse as it targets the soul directly.”

“The other option?”

“He must be killed in the same manner by someone he loves and who loves him.”

The blood drained from my face. “You mean… you want me to… I can’t!”

“I told you that you will need to be brave and courageous. It will take a real leap of faith, Miss Weasley.”

“And if someone else kills him.”

“Then both souls will die. If Voldemort performs the spell then his magic will seek out itself in Harry’s body, thus the spell will focus on intruding soul killing only it. If Harry is killed by a person he loves who also loves him in return then his own soul will be protected from the spell as it will seek out the malevolence within and destroy it.”

“Why not just let Voldemort do it? He is bound to use the Avada Kedavra.”

“Yes, but want happens thereafter. If Harry is isolated then a second spell would kill him, perhaps one of the Death Eaters could finish the job.”

“I see. How sure are you?”

Dumbledore glanced away. “Nothing is certain, Miss Weasley.”



“Do you trust me, Harry?” I whispered.

“With my life,” Harry replied. I nodded.

I pulled his face down to mine. The kiss long and passionate. Eventually I managed to get myself free. “Remember the night you asked if I would be your girlfriend?”

“How could I forget that night? The blindfold, your hand touching my back, the blind leap off the Astronomy Tower.” He laughed. “The most terrifying and yet amazing experience of my life.”

“It was quiet the leap wasn’t it?”

“You might have leapt, but I only remember stumbling with nothing underfoot to stop my fall.”

“Ginny!” Ron shouted. “Leave Harry for a moment.”

I did not let go. Hermione walked alongside my brother, her hand in his. “I’m afraid I can’t let Harry go.”

“Come on, Ginny. We need to talk about things.”

“That can wait, Ron.” I sent a look towards Hermione. I imagined a message and sent it to her coin. Her hand flinched and I knew her coin had grown warm.

She took it out and read, “’Trust me.’ Why would you send me that?”

“Because I’m about to take the biggest bloody blindfolded leap I’ve ever made.”

“Stop this nonsense. What could be worse than running across the hall to chop a snake to bits?”

I looked away from Ron and up at Harry as he gazed down lovingly at me. Behind his back, my hand clenched my wand. I took a deep breath and my wand came round and was pressed against his stomach.

“Avada Kedavra!”

I shouted the spell as it needed to be cast with conviction. I wanted that piece of Voldemort dead. All the while I never looked away from Harry. I watched as the bright green dimmed and the life vanished as he slumped against me.

I held him even as I cried. All around people stared with shock and even hatred. Hermione had her hand before her mouth, too stunned to do anything. Ron stood mouth agape, staring at me. I could not stop the tears. “I needed to, Harry. I had to do it, you have to believe I had to!”

Hands grabbed my arms. People pulled me away. It was all a blur, but one thing was clear. Harry lay lifeless on the floor. “I’m sorry, Harry!” I shouted even as I kicked and flailed about, but strong arms held me.

The people holding me said nothing. They did not have to. I had just killed the saviour of the wizarding world. The only man who could free us from Voldemort.

“I love you, Harry!”

“By quiet!” I flinched at the tone of my father’s voice. “You’ve done enough.”

It hurt to hear my father sound so disappointed in me. “I had to, father. I had to,” I pleaded. “Please you have to understand. It needed to be done. I had to be the one to do it.”

“Please,” my father said through clenched teeth. “Please, Ginny, don’t say anything.”

I looked up to find him fighting his emotions. “I…”

He let go of my arm and began to walk away. I turned to the other person holding me. “Bill.” My eldest brother ignored me. “Listen.”

“No,” he said angrily. “I worked all year to solve those stupid riddles you sent me. I risked my wife, our unborn child, and this is what you repay my sacrifice with?”

I broke down. “Please, listen. I needed to; I had to do what I did.”

Fred and George looked away. Percy ignored me. Charlie sat slumped against the wall, his head bowed in defeat. I collapsed to the floor, my hands covering my face. All the looks of hate were too much. I would not need Dementors to suck the life out of me.

At first I did not hear, but something tingled at my consciousness. I sensed it again. I dared to look up. The name was called out again. “Ginny!”

The familiar voice made the shock of the killing curse seem like a mild disturbance. My tears stopped flowing. “Harry!” I called back and people parted between us.

I jumped to my feet. He stood, eyes wide in awe, on his own, people edged away, staring at him in awe. Not once, but twice he’d survived the killing curse. And this time hundreds had been witness.

I ran only to leap into his welcoming arms. “It’s gone,” he whispered.

I laughed even as I tried to control the new torrent of joyful tears. “I know, Harry. I know.”



And so ends my entry for the challenge. I hope it was enjoyable. Perhaps it did not expand enough on the Society, but Ginny was the mastermind behind everything.

I wish I could’ve made this longer, but I do not have the time do so. But I really wanted to enter this for the challenge.

Thank you for reading. Please leave a comment to let me know what you thought.






Reviews 29
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear