Search:

SIYE Time:4:53 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Since That Day
By GinervaMollyWeasley

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 6
Summary: "I don't," he said slowly, "understand. I thought it would be easier. I thought there would be some sort of weight lifted off my shoulders." He gave a wry chuckle. " I thought I could come sweep you off your feet and be your hero, just like everyone thinks I am. But I couldn't."
Hitcount: Story Total: 4868



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.



Author's Notes:
A sort of missing moment between the days after the war and 'nineteen years later'. Please review and let me know your opinion, it would be greatly appreciated!

~GMW




ChapterPrinter


A quietly somber witch, glittering with snow, sat underneath the tree. Her emotionless face told of the inner turmoil she felt and the peace she was longing to feel. Her eyelids fluttered closed as she took in the muffled noise of the first snowfall. She thought that it was gorgeous and despite herself, smiled at the feeling of the moonlight on her pale skin. The more numb her fingers became, the more numb her pain seemed and the more she appreciated the harsh wind on her face.

The war had softened her mischievous aura and replaced it with a melancholy silence. It had done the same for her family. Her mother had made the decision to invite family and friends together for Christmas and it was not a joyful experience. Many said they had to work late or conjured other excuses to avoid facing the memories. They were not ready to face life the way it was before. Ginny had carefully chosen to place herself underneath her favorite old tree away from the unenthusiastic celebration. She was not upset - just longing for the distraction of an inconspicuous absence.

She was not expecting to hear the sudden crunch of snow and opened her eyes, alert and reaching for her wand. When her vision focused in the low light, she stood up but lowered her wand. The young man that stood before her was solemn. His jet black hair was messed from the wind, his face flustered form the cold and his demeanor was shielded.

"Hi Gin." Harry said simply.

"...Hello." Ginny replied, slightly shaken. "I wasn't expecting to see anyone."

He shifted his eyes to the ground and shuffled his snow covered boots.

"I figured. I wondered where you wandered off to. You left very quietly."

She studied him for a moment and replied, "I suppose. Won't they notice you've left?".

Harry shrugged. Ginny noted that he had put up his walls again.

"Do you want to sit?" she asked.

He just smiled and sat down as she slid into the spot next to him.

Turning to look at him, she asked, "How've you been, Harry? How's it been as an Auror?"

"Mostly paperwork and long hours. It's sort of a lonely job actually. But I've bought a flat near the office and Ron visits a lot."

He seemed to avert the subject by pointing out, "Your hands must be freezing. I know mine are."

Suddenly, he took her hands in his, bringing them close to his face and blowing on them for warmth. Severe shivers ran up Ginny's spine and raced all the way back down again. Her breath hitched in her throat. Suppressing this intensity, she took her hands back and looked at Harry. He looked back at her with a kind of wild innocence in his eyes, seeming to forget himself for the moment.

She felt a small amount of anger start to grow inside her. He had not said a word to her since the battle ended. She wondered what he was playing at, blowing on her hands and calling her 'Gin' after all this time.

"Harry?" Ginny began.

"Hmm?"

She sighed. "Harry, I've waited. I've waited to say this just like I waited for you. I did what you asked. I stayed behind. I wondered and worried over you three for months on end. I did nothing irrational. I sat like a good girl, playing the role of the youngest once again. Then, when the time came, I fought. We won. But in winning, I lost Fred and Colin. Schoolmates, members of the Order and countless friends. I still waited. I'm still waiting now and I'm tired of it."

She paused to take a breath.

"What's the real reason you came here tonight? Was it for me? Or did that mean nothing to you?"

When she finished, her chest was heaving and her eyes were watery. She gave Harry a calculating look and then the blazing stare she had given so many times before.

Harry looked at her. He seemed unable to tear his eyes from hers and they held so much emotion.

"It's been over a year since that day." He looked down and his lap and paused.

Ginny was perplexed.

"Yes, it has." she said slowly, willing him to go on.

Suddenly, he stood. He brushed the snow off his jeans and plunged his hands deep into his pockets.

"It's been over a year since then. The day I defeated him. Murdered him." He paused then and clearly had trouble with this statement.

"I don't," he said slowly, "understand. I thought it would be easier. I thought there would be some sort of weight lifted off my shoulders." He gave a wry chuckle. " I thought I could come sweep you off your feet and be your hero, just like everyone thinks I am. But I couldn't."

Ginny bit her lip and listened quietly.

Harry turned to her, his bright green eyes shining and muttered, "I've lost myself, Gin."

She got to her feet, inhibitions fading, and spoke to him in a soft voice.

"Harry," grabbing his frigid hands, she whispered, "you haven't lost yourself. You will always be Harry. Just Harry."

Slowly, she backed away and locked her brown eyes to his.

"There are awful things that happened to pay for the good things. People lost and families broken," at this, she glanced at the fuzzy shape of her home, full of moving shadows and lights. "But, Harry...Fred, Lupin, Tonks - they all knew what the price was. They all understood. And now you have to understand. You have a life to live for all those who aren't living here anymore."

Ginny smiled at him, a small smile filled with a maturity years beyond her age.

Gently, Harry grabbed her by the waist and pulled her into a strong embrace. He kissed her hair softly and whispered, "I think I love you."


The butterflies in her stomach intensified and she grinned broadly into Harry's chest. "I know I love you," she said.

In one fluid motion, he knocked her off her feet, caught her in his arms, and kissed her, slow and sure. When the kiss was broken, he returned her upright and said, "that was for every moment I should have been there to kiss you."

Ginny could feel the blush creeping across her face and it caused Harry to smile. Just as abruptly, his expression changed to one of sincerity.

"I'm sorry," he said.

For what, Ginny didn't know - Fred, his absence or her broken heart, but she simply replied, "I know."

She took his hand in hers and began to lead him way from the tree and toward the Burrow.

"I believe it's time to rejoin the party, don't you?" she asked, looking up into Harry's face with a calm expression.

He studied her features and leaned down to plant a small kiss on her forehead. She wrinkled her nose and he chuckled.

"Yes," Harry answered, "I do."

Together, they walked out of the quiet, twinkling snowfall and into the muted chatter of the house.
Reviews 6
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear