Search:

SIYE Time:1:41 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The First Year, An Almost Happily Ever After Story
By JetLaBarge

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 103
Summary: Fairy tales end “And They Lived Happily Ever After,” but wars end with Post Traumatic Stress Disorders. Someone is taking hostages and wants to kill Harry and everyone close to him. Follow our favorite characters as they rebuild their lives the first year after the war, Harry as he becomes an Auror and finds out that life as a hero has its own challenges, Ginny as she finds out that having all your dreams come true does not solve all your problems, and the rest of the Weasley clan as they start to rebuild their lives.
Hitcount: Story Total: 96945; Chapter Total: 2608
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
“I will love you and stand by your side through anything,” Ginny said as she squeezed his hand hard. “I thought we were through with prophesies about you, though.”

“Stupid Prophesies!” Harry exclaimed.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Thursday morning Harry, Bill and Al, accompanied to Harry’s great surprise by Grabhook and Kreacher, went to the Ministry, and took a dedicated floo to Switzerland. The arrived in the familiar large room with more fireplaces than Harry had ever seen in any other room, along with magic carpets and doors that let to other types of passageways in other countries. This seemed to be a key transit point, because over half of the people came in one way and almost immediately left by another way.

Anyone trying to leave or enter the country was subject to inspection. The Swiss were expecting Harry, and once he showed his identification pulled him aside and rushed the five through what could have been a more intensive questioning.

Nothing could have prepared Harry for the size and magnificence of the Swiss valley. About 25% of the entire face of the mountains as far as Harry could see was developed, house or castle like structures, some buildings that could have been factories. There were roads with vehicles on them, and many passageways that seemed to lead into the mountains. They took a series of moving walkways that led to the entry of the enormous Swiss headquarters of Gringotts. Each of the 5 had a personal escort, and Harry could notice at least twice that number making a perimeter around them.

Harry watched in amazement as Bill and Al, Grabhook and even Kreacher, talked to a group of about 10 wizards and witches, 8 goblins and a very frightened and concerned looking house elf. There seemed to be a lot of discussion about what the laws were, and if the proper paperwork was in order, and if the proper omens had been read and spells had been done or were going to be done. The Swiss had parchment after parchment of documentation, and Bill, Al and Grabhook had their own documents. Harry had to answer a few questions. He tried to understand what was being said, catching maybe 25% to 35% of what was going on.

After about 2 hours of this a Goblin dressed in the richest robes Harry had ever seen spoke. “As Chief Goblin of the worldwide Gringotts and Affiliated Banks it seems that all the paperwork is in order, prophesies have been fulfilled, omens read by the prophets are in order, and other requirements are in order, and that Harry and Ginny Potter are the heirs of the Rothchilds through Tom Riddle who called himself Lord Voldemort.”

A wizard dressed as richly as the Goblin said, “Based on all the available evidence it looks to us like Harry and Ginny Potter are the entitled to and fated to be Regents of the Valley of the International Confederations of Wizards.”

Al said, “Harry, no one has been anything but the Regent in over 3,000 years. The ruling couple has to be so unusual that some doubt if there will ever be another one. The acting head of the valley has also not been either the Regent or the chief Mugwump. The acting head of the valley, Gerhardt Richter in this case, works for the Regent, but by tradition comes up through the valley government.” He then introduced them to the head of the bank, Goblin Zefenslot, and to the acting head of the family estate and chief executive officer of the Swiss Wizards, Gerhardt Richter.

Gerhardt left with the group and they took a shortcut to another part of the valley. Harry was to learn that the valley was full of shortcuts, most available to all, some closely guarded and available only to a few. The shortcut led to what seemed to be a large castle like structure with modern offices in medieval spaces and other offices that looked like they could have come right out of the Middle Ages. They were led to an office with the most magnificent view of the valley. Gerhardt had them all sit down in comfortable chairs and began to speak.

“Harry, you probably wonder what a Regent does. The first thing to know is that the Regent is head of the family that owns the valley, but there are prophesies that predict that there will come a wizard the will take the place of the Regent. The predictions are that he will be the offspring of the Regent, but will possess certain magical objects of such power that he will become the Chief Mugwump as well, not displacing his father but holding a position of influence over him and over all the Wizarding Community.

“The Regent really can have influence in the affairs of the International Confederations of Witches and Wizards. There are both laws and relationships that are being changed and have changed, partly because of the passage of time and different circumstances and partly because of some of the things you and others have done. There is a good reason why Kreacher is here. You are going to meet several more house elves. What you have done, not only you but you seem to be the one getting the most attention, is challenging all the magic and tradition that enslaved the house elves.

“The goblins view you as someone worthy not of grudging respect but friendship. To have the friendship of a goblin is rare indeed, and I say this knowing Grabhook is sitting here in this room.”

Grabhook said, “All the goblins in the world know how you cried over Dobby and the respect you showed the elves of Hogwarts. They also know you gave the sword of Gryffindor back to us, despite the strong magic that allows a true son of Gryffindor to use it when necessary. Goblins all over the world are frankly shocked that you are trying to make sure not that you do not get cheated but that no one cheats us. Goblins serve wizards, but we do not always trust wizards, and for good reason. Is that not so, Gerhardt, Bill?”

Gerhardt said, “There is no reason to go over the long and sometimes troubled history of wizard and goblin relations. Enough to say that we are looking forward to putting in place both laws and traditions to make the relationship better.”

Bill said, “Harry, most wizards who have been in your position have either sought great wealth and power or once they had it liked it and abused it. This includes abusing Goblins and house elves. Be careful. Try to make things better for everybody, all the intelligent creatures of this earth, and history will remember you with gratitude. You need no more wealth, and if you use your power carefully you will do much good.”

Everybody in the room looked at Harry. Harry had no idea what to say. Finally he said, “I thought I’d die fighting Tom Riddle. All I ever wanted was a chance to live my life, marry, have a family, do some good. I never wanted all of this.” At this he sort of spread his arms around to take in the office and the entire valley. “What do I need to do to make the world a better place? What do I do now?”

Gerhardt said, “We could not have asked for a better response.”

Harry and Gerhardt spent a couple of hours touring the caverns that held the treasures of the Wizarding world. Eventually it was 1:00 PM. Gerhardt said they were going to be going over to the prophets and prophesy section for lunch. Harry kind of rolled his eyes at this announcement. As far as he knew prophets were usually some of the flakiest people around, and their pronouncements could be as obscure as mud. Trelawney kept predicting his death. (Wait, he did die when Riddle…she was right. Stupid prophets.)

The hosts of the lunch were Steven and Valerie Bushman, heads of the Prophesy Interpretation Department and managers of the Prophesy division. Steven told Harry that both he and Valerie did have a gift of prophesy, and had made a couple of minor verified prophesies, but that their expertise and gift was in discernment of prophesy, and they had several other people in their department. There were prophesies and omens of a change in the ruling family coming for the last half of the 20th century, and not only did Tom Riddle not qualify for being the heir to the Rothchilds and the headship of the ICW but no one else came close either. It was not until Harry defeated Tom Riddle in the duel that it began to look like they had a new ruling family. Some of the signs and prophesies were going to be discussed in private with just Harry. Meanwhile they talked about family and other things.

They finally got to the office the two shared, Gerhardt excused himself saying he would be back in about an hour, and the doors were closed. Both Steven and Valerie did some privacy spells. They then went over a prophesy about him. Steven spoke. “Master of the deadly hallows, you are the master of the Elder wand but you do not have it on you. Why?”

“That wand has done too much damage over the years. I like my own wand better,” said Harry.

“Curious,” said Steven. “You know you still own the Elder Wand. You are not wearing the
resurrection stone either, but you are carrying the invisibility cloak.”

“Did Al VanLente tell you about these?” asked Harry.

“No,” said Steven, “but we could see from the expression on his face when we mentioned them that we were not wrong. These are powerful objects, and most wizards would lust after them.”

“Well, I don’t,” Harry explained. “The …” Harry stopped. He though he was going to say too much. “I think that if some of these objects, that have been associated with evil, pass out of human history that is best.”

“Well, you are a decedent of the Peverells, and have as much right to these objects as anyone,” Stephen then explained. “Albus Dumbledore used the Elder Wand for good and not evil.”

“Is it a problem that I don’t want these things?” asked Harry.

“No, not really,” Stephen remarked. “Some prophesy is hard to understand, but we have enough to confirm that you are the next heir.”

“This is really silly,” said Harry. “To think that until I was eleven I was living in a closet under the stairs at my Aunt’s house, not even knowing I was a wizard. This is all so unreal.”

“You were living in a closet under the stairs? Harry, that is the part of the prophesy we could not understand!

Under the stairs and over he who cannot die
Master of the Hallows but they not mastering him
Able to come to us over the water or under the water
With wife but not yet with child
Desires mastery but not to master
The last Regent comes


We figure under the water is the English Channel rail tunnel. Your wife is not pregnant?”

Harry answered, “She has been taking a contraceptive potion. We are not ready for children yet.”

“No rush to have a child,” said Steven. “That prophesy and others project that you will have children. Everything made sense except the first part, under the stairs. We were trying to make sense of that, and nothing was working. We were going to ask you about that and here you come with a simple explanation.”

“The last Regent, what does that mean?” asked Harry.

“There are prophesies about a new head witch and wizard, an unusual couple that will be able to usher in many frankly needed changes. The wizard will probably be one of your children or grandchildren, but he will not in any way defeat you or try to take your position away from you,” said Steven.

“So I may not be stuck with this job?” asked Harry.

Steven looked at Harry quizzically, and said, “That is an unusual sentiment, Harry. Most wizards would look at the power and influence that this position offers and leap at the opportunity. You seem to be very ambitious to do good but not at all eager to lord it over people.”

“I guess I’ll do the politics, because I have to, but I’m not thrilled having to be a political figure,” said Harry. “I’d be glad if someone more qualified could take over eventually.”
Steven, Valerie and Harry spent about another half hour talking about his life and how some of the things he had done fit with several prophesies. When they were done Gerhardt was waiting for him.

“He passes all our tests,” Valerie said.

“There are things that have been waiting for the new Regent, Harry,” Gerhardt then explained. This afternoon we are going to be going over them. Sorry, some of it may be boring.”

It WAS boring until they got to house elf rights. Gerhardt said, “Some people would like to allow house elves to wear uniforms, and others are very opposed. The compromise was to allow the new Regent to decide.”

Harry replied, “I think you know what I will decide, considering that Kreacher is wearing one of the Potter/Weasley family uniforms. Of course I want to allow them to wear the rented uniforms. If I own or control any house elves I want them to be clothed as soon as possible!”

Finally they came on a subject that would end up haunting the Potter family for years, Dementors. “By longstanding law and tradition only the Regent or Chief Wizard can enforce the death penalty or the Dementors kiss,” Gerhardt said. “We have four cases waiting for your judgments.”

Harry promptly said, “I don’t care what they did, I am not going agree to have someone put to death, and I do not believe anyone should ever be given the Dementors kiss.”

“The Dementors are not going to be happy,” Gerhardt said.

“The Dementors are never happy. They take all the happiness out of anything they touch. I’d like to banish them from the earth.”

“You did banish them from Azkaban.”

“Yes. If I had my way they would be banished from all Wizard prisons.”

Gerhardt held a brief consultation with the group of witches and wizards that constituted the government of the Valley. He finally said, “If you wanted to you could tell the Dementors guarding the Swiss prison to stay outside.”

After some additional discussion it was agreed that Harry could tell the Dementors that afternoon that they would have to stay 300 meters away from the boundaries of the prison.
Harry arrived at the prison late in the afternoon, and took his place at the stand where Wizards talked to the Dementors.

“Harry James Potter, the new Swiss Regent, here to talk to the Swiss Dementors,” Harry said.

“News of your ego and arrogance has reached us,” a Dementor said. “You act like you are god’s chosen, because you have risen from the dead.”

“I order you to stay 300 meters away from the prison, and not go into the prison ever again,” Harry ordered.

“Change your mind, you arrogant wizard, or you will regret it,” the Dementor said.

“No,” Harry replied.

“You make yourself not just son-of-god but a god, ordering us around. Well you can be like god, seeing your son killed before your eyes, and for NOTHING, nothing. If you keep ordering us around I predict that you will live to see many decedents die, including your beloved son die for NOTHING.”

“You are evil beings. I will do what I think is right,” Harry said, although there was a real bad feeling in the pit of his stomach when he said it. What if the Dementor was right? It was one thing to die, to be willing to die, to do the right thing. How could you ever offer or even risk your children? But isn’t that what Molly and Arthur had done, sort of, raised their children to fight for the right. And Fred had died, and their baby too, because they were fighting for the right.

Harry left the Swiss prison shaken, thinking about having children but mostly worried that he was not going to be able to keep all his children, when he had them, safe.

“What is this son-of-god stuff?” Harry asked Gerhardt. “Just because I died and came back to life I’m a god or son-of-god?”

“The Christian Jesus is supposed to have died and risen,” Gerhardt said. “You are something of a Christ figure having defeated evil and died and rose.”

“Jesus died and rose?” Harry asked.

“What do you know about Christianity, or any religion for that matter?” Gerhardt asked.

“Uncle Vernon Dursley hated all religions, and Christianity especially,” Harry replied. “We really never talked much about it at school, except about Christians killing witches and wizards. What do witches and wizards believe in?”

“I don’t have an answer for you, Harry,” said Gerhardt. “There is an association of Christian Wizards; you can ask them. There is also an association of Muslim Wizards, of Jewish Wizards, of Buddhist Wizards, and several other such. They are strictly forbidden to mention to non-Wizard friends or associates the existence of magic, and since especially in the monotheist religions there is a history of persecution of witches and wizards the laws forbidding anyone in these religious associations of talking about our existence is very strictly enforced.”

“What do you believe in?” asked Harry.

Gerhardt looked a little exasperated, and said, “I don’t know. Good and Evil. That you need to do good in this life, and that you will probably be better off in the next world if you are good in this one. That you and I could talk all day about this and never get done what we came to do.”

That night there was a big dinner. Al and Gerhardt introduced Harry to a number of prominent witches and wizards from around the world, and Harry did his best to try and remember who the people were and where they were from.

Eventually Harry was let to the private quarters of the Head Wizard and Regent and their families.

There was way too much magic in the valley to use mobiles, but Harry did send Ginny a text message with the magic communicator on his mobile, and she even sent back a very brief one. The prophesy of the Dementor still bothered him, and he had a hard time getting to sleep.

Friday morning Harry woke up and found his small case with clothes. He dressed in robes identical to the ones he wore yesterday. One of the doors led to a modest sized eating area, and Harry had breakfast with Bill and Al. Al told Harry that Kreacher was meeting with a group of house elves, and each house elf had at least one and sometimes two witches or wizards that accompanied them to this meeting. Harry was also told that this was the first meeting like this that anyone could remember.

Al and Gerhardt accompanied Harry to the meeting; Bill was busy with financial matters. There were 30 house elves, including Kreacher and Aristotle, and about 45 accompanying witches or wizards. As they were introduced Harry noticed except for Kreacher they were all from Schools or other large institutions. Harry asked why and it was explained that only where there were a large concentrations of house elves did one or more of them have the time and freedom to go back into their history and try and understand who they were, how they came to be enslaved, what if anything they could do about it, and how to better their position.

It was explained that some house elves really did lead very good lives. Rural house elves living on a family farm could end up working almost as hired hands, with a lot of personal freedom. There were two house elves there from very large farms, and although they wanted better conditions in general and better medical care for themselves and their families they would not want to be forced off the farm or to work under significantly different conditions. Both of the farm elves were accompanied by farmer-owners who explained that ideally more freedom for house elves would make them better farmers, able to do more things, and could if done the right way help the farmers-owners as well as the farmer-house elves.

Harry asked about clothing. All of the house elves seemed to agree that the American Compromise (that is what it had become known as) to allow rented uniforms seemed to be working very well, that none of the house elves were really concerned about owning clothing as long as they could wear appropriate clothing.

The house elves appreciated that clothing could easily be made to identify a master or owner, since most of them at least were very proud of the people or institutions that owned them. Harry pointed out that only “good” masters would allow their house elves to even come to a meeting like this, and maybe some house elves would not like to brag about their owners. When Harry asked what the house elves wanted to do about bad owners the entire room got totally silent, and Aristotle asked, “What do you mean by a bad owner, Harry?’

“One that treats you badly?” asked Harry.

“What do you mean badly?” asked Aristotle.

“That hurts you,” said Harry.

“House elves is used to hurt. Is part of being a house elf,” said Aristotle.

“That makes you do things that you do not want to do,” said Harry.

Aristotle retorted, “We are charmed to obey the master’s orders.”

“Whose orders were you obeying when you led the house elves in fighting Tom Riddle, Lord Voldemort?” asked Harry.

“Didn’t you want us to fight?” asked Kreacher.

“Did you ask me before you led the house elves?” asked Harry of Kreacher.

“Did you ask Minerva McGonagall?” asked Harry of Aristotle, who was sitting right next to the Headmistress of Hogwarts.

The two house elves looked uncomfortably at each other.

“Just exactly what does this document say about house elves having to obey their masters?” asked Harry. “When was it written, and how have different groups interpreted it? Do you have any stories of house elves choosing to do good instead of bad?”

There was a long period of silence, as house elves looked at each other, with some whispering in elfish between some of the house elves.

Finally Harry asked again, “Where is the document that says that house elves have to obey their masters, even if their master gives them an order to do something bad.”

“We cannot find any such document,” said Aristotle.

“Are there any stories about house elves choosing to do good instead of evil?” asked Harry.

“We have stories, not so common, about choosing to follow a good master instead of a wicked one,” said Aristotle.

Kreacher spoke up. “House elves would much rather talk about clothing and health care and not breaking up families and living quarters than to talk about good and evil.”

Al VanLente had been very quiet, but he finally spoke. “I think what Harry and I imagine is house elves as partners, maybe servants but willing ones if that is what you want, and your own masters if that is what you want. With freedom comes responsibility. Maybe only a little freedom at first, but even that will come with responsibility. Are you ready for the responsibility?”

There was a lot of discussion in elfish, and it lasted almost 15 minutes. Occasionally one of the house elves would talk to the witch or wizard that came with them. Finally Aristotle said, “We do not know.”

“What were you before you were enslaved?” asked Harry.

“Written records in elfish only date back 3,000 years, and they are not very good until about 1,500 years ago. We do not know our own history,” said Aristotle.

“Can you change your history, change the rules for the future?” asked Harry.

After some more discussion in elfish Aristotle said, “We do not know. We need to think about these things more.”

There was much more discussion about practical matters, clothing and health care and not breaking up families and living quarters, and a resolve to make changes on a regional level with enabling legislation introduced at the ICW next month. Harry said he wanted to meet with the house elves at least once a year, and they agreed.

As they left the meeting Gerhardt said, “Some of the house elves were willing to come unaccompanied, but others refused to come unless their owner or a representative of the institution that owns them came along. Some are willing to express their own views, but others feel they have to clear everything with a witch or wizard. Some of their traditions have little to do with the magical obligations they are under and more to do with not wanting to accept responsibility for their own actions. When you own a house elf and just live in one country it is easy to think that all house elves are alike. They are not. I have a couple of house elves prominent in what is just becoming an international group of house elves. They did not speak up during this session with you because they are charged by me not with influencing the outcome of the meeting but with making sure these meetings continue. They are as frank with me as Kreacher is with you, I think, that is honest and on our side, but sometimes very opaque.

“One other thing. We almost lost the whole meeting when the photograph of Dobedo was published. House Elves with Meat Cleavers?! I understand why you have Dobedo defending himself and you, but do not allow him to go on the attack unless absolutely necessary.”

Harry said, “We were outnumbered more than two to one, but after that photograph and headline Hermione Granger said we may have set the cause of modernizing house elves back 100 years.”

“She was not far off the mark,” said Gerhardt. “There were a few groups that we thought we were going to be able to come to meetings like this, and some of them did not come. I am not saying the photograph and headline was the only reason, but it did not help.”

“My friend Hermione Grainger is very interested in house elf rights, and she has written or influenced the legislation in Great Britain,” Harry said. “Would it be a good idea to get her to write laws or, do you make laws?” Harry said, ending with the question.

“We make some laws for this valley that become examples, and some laws for the entire Wizarding Community, although that is rare,” Gerhardt said. “Sometimes just stating that something is done in one place and it is acceptable makes it easier to do in another place. I have heard of Hermione, and it would be good to get her involved.”

Harry could not remember a lot happening the rest of the day. He met with the same people he had met the night before for dinner, and learned more about the valley, but there were no surprises. He and Bill were back in time for dinner with their wives.

Harry got back to Hogwarts just in time to meet Ginny and Hermione as they were going into the Great Hall for dinner.

When Harry sat down Ginny asked, “Well, what happened?”

Harry answered, “It looks like we’re the Regents of the Valley.”

Hermione looked at Harry in amazement. “You’re the Regents?”

Harry replied, “Well it’s not like we own the place or anything.”

Hermione insisted, “But Harry, you DO own the place, the whole valley. At least until some fabled chief witch and wizard appear, and that hasn’t happened in three thousand years. There seem to be Last Regents every 500 years or so, but something always happens.”

“We own the place?” Harry asked again. “That’s crazy. We don’t have to live there, just be at the ICWW every year.”

“I doubt if it’s that simple,” Hermione said.

“Oh, they want you to help rewrite the laws and traditions covering house elves,” Harry said. “Someone from the ICWW will be contacting you.”

“After N.E.W.T.S.” Hermione said. “I do have some time after the end of school. I’m not going to start at the Ministry until after Ron and I get back from our Honeymoon.”
Harry, Ginny and Hermione talked more about the valley and what had happened, about everything but the prophesy by the Dementor. That prophesy was still bothering Harry, but he didn’t know how to share it.

That night, before they went to bed, Ginny said to Harry “What happened that you are not talking about?”

“What?” said Harry. “Why do you say that?”

“Because I know you, Harry James Potter,” Ginny said, hands on her hips and that determined look that Harry both loved and respected on her face. “Something happened that is bothering you, and you’re brooding but not talking about it!”

Harry sat down on the bed and motioned Ginny to sit down beside him. “I told the Swiss Dementors to stay out of the Swiss prison, just like I did to the English Dementors. I was given a prophesy that I would see my son killed before me, and for nothing. I don’t know how to take it.”

Ginny took a deep breath. She looked at Harry in horror. “Is that true?”

“I don’t know,” Harry said. “Dementors are liars, and you can’t live your life in fear that something bad is going to happen. What if your parents knew that they would lose two sons to the battle against Riddle? If they hadn’t done what they did do maybe Riddle would still be here but you wouldn’t be.”

“What do you want to do, Harry?” a concerned Ginny asked.

“Dumbledore said ‘do what is right, not what is easy.’” Harry said. “I guess we have a family and I keep telling the Dementors stuff, and … and … and whatever happens, happens.”

“I will love you and stand by your side through anything,” Ginny said as she squeezed his hand hard. “I thought we were through with prophesies about you, though.”

“Stupid Prophesies!” Harry exclaimed.

Neither Harry nor Ginny slept all that well that nigh.
Reviews 103
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear