Search:

SIYE Time:10:54 on 16th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Foolproof Plan
By Awakening5

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Fluff, General, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 78
Summary: Ginny is fed up with boys and just wants to be left alone for a while. A plan is hatched--Ginny needs a fake boyfriend. But who will it be?
Hitcount: Story Total: 29834; Chapter Total: 6506
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
The penultimate chapter...the hardest one to write, in my opinion. Originally, this chapter wasn't going to exist. But, as I wrote what I thought was going to be the last chapter, and Harry and Ginny had a chat, one on one, I had to ask myself what these two characters would actually do in that situation. This lead to a little more drama (and fun) than expected, and extended the story by a chapter (which I'm not complaining about). Hope you enjoy!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 4: Something Isn’t Right

Quidditch practice had always been one of Harry’s favorite times of the week. There really was no comparison, in Harry’s mind, to how he felt on a broom. ‘Free’ was the best word he could use to describe it. Free from worries of school and evil-doing Dark Lords wanting his blood. Free from the restrictions gravity generally put on him. Free from everything, really.

But on this frigid, mid-December practice, he loved it for a different reason. When on a broom, hundreds of feet in the air, Harry and Ginny were Harry and Ginny again.

Harry blew his whistle into the cold air. The sun was out and shining, its radiation providing a nice contrast to the biting cold. Fifty feet below him, Harry’s teammates began soaring up to meet their captain. He liked to hold their strategy training time high above the goalposts, so that he could merely point down below to make different plays clear in the minds of his team.

Soon, the team members were all hovering around Harry in a circle. He began instructing and complimenting them in turn.

“Nice maneuvering down there, Dean.”

“Have you been practicing with a bludger on your own time, Jimmy? You’re looking great out there.”

“Ritchie, I need you to fly closer to the chasers. Slytherin won’t be as soft with their hits as Hufflepuff was.”

“Ron, you’ve never looked better.”

Harry turned to face Ginny. He found it relieving that his words began flowing effortlessly. He hardly even thought about their recent struggles over the last week. “You’re starting to come along down there, Ginny,” Harry said, pointing down to where the rings stood.

“Phrasing,” Harry heard Ron mutter, but didn’t think much of it.

Harry, of course, was referring to a new play they had been working on for a while. “Thanks,” Ginny replied. “It’s a lot harder than it initially looked, and it was hard to swallow, but it’s starting to feel really good!”

“Phrasing,” Ron repeated, a little louder this time. Harry still didn’t pay him and heed.

“That’s good to hear,” Harry responded to Ginny. “I’ve noticed you’re still not shifting from side to side quickly enough.” (“Phrasing…”) It was key that she zig-zag at sharper angles to throw off her defenders, so Harry flew closer to her to comment on how to fix it. “Make sure you move your hands to the end of the stick and handle it much tighter.”

“Phrasing,” he heard Ron say loudly, but he and Ginny were now so engrossed in the practicalities of flying that they didn’t process what he was saying.

Ginny began to be excited about this new tip and offered her own thoughts on the play call. “That’s a great idea! I was thinking about it, and I think you should come down if you’re not finding the snitch at that moment.”

Harry began nodding. “You mean as an additional distraction?”

Ginny mirrored his nodding, and pointed excitedly toward the goal posts where this particular play would be implemented. She made motions with her hands to gesture where Harry should fly, as she said, “Just slide in there hard and fast, then pull out. If you think you can manage, come right back in afterwards…”

“Phrasing!” Ron all but yelled.

Harry looked exasperatedly at Ron, who was red-faced with his mouth slightly open. Harry gave him a quizzical look before turning back to Ginny. “I’m all for trying new things…you don’t think it would be too crowded with three of us in there together?”

Ginny was about to respond when the entire team shouted together, “Phrasing!”

Harry and Ginny both turned to look at everyone. “What are you saying?” Harry asked, upset at being interrupted.

Ron finally found a few more words in his vocabulary and said, “Would you just watch the way you’re phrasing everything? It’s awfully inappropriate.”

Harry didn’t realize, of course, all of the double entendres that he had spoken. Instead, he thought Ron was questioning the excitement and passion with which he discussed this new play with Ginny. The team had been taking it easy as of late, and maybe they wanted him to relax.

“Look,” Harry said, glancing at each of his team members. “We beat Hufflepuff handily, okay? I admit it, we looked great out there. But I don’t like the relaxed attitude we’ve had lately at practices. This is not a sure thing that we beat these other teams. They’ve both got some secret weapons, and a lot more talent than Hufflepuff had.”

Harry sighed, and began speaking before Ron could interrupt to clarify his previous complaint. “I guess what I’m saying is that I don’t want us prematurely ringing our victory bells, and ending up with a mess on our hands!”

Silence followed for a long moment, and Harry was glad that his team got the message, judging off of their wide-eyed expressions. But then they–including Ginny this time–collectively shouted, “Phrasing!”

The team was able to move past this incident and continue their practice. Harry was very pleased with his team’s effort, and he and Ginny even stayed late working on her sharp cuts and feints.

Half an hour after everyone else had left, Harry and Ginny finally made their way towards the changing rooms together. They enjoyed a great conversation about the game they would have right after Christmas break.

“No, I saw that, too, Gin. Ravenclaw didn’t beat Slytherin with speed, but by taking the game slow and not making mistakes.”

Ginny nodded. “And they just waited for Slytherin to get frustrated and turn over the quaffle. It’s tough, because we can’t play their game, but we need to adjust our own so they don’t exploit our weaknesses like Slytherin. Dean has been known to make stupid decisions with the quaffle when given too much time to think.”

Harry groaned. “If only I had three of you to play chaser for the team!”

Ginny laughed and swatted Harry on the arm. “Oh the other two are great! Besides, you couldn’t handle three of me.”

Harry smirked at her. “That may be the case, but I could think of a few things to do with three of you…”

Ginny blushed slightly, and glared at Harry. She calmly retorted, “Again…you couldn’t handle three of me.”

The new implications made Harry’s heart beat a bit faster as his imagination tried to come up with the reasons why he wouldn’t be able to handle her. “No,” he said, trying to keep his voice even. “I have it hard to believe I could handle even one of you.”

They finally made it to the changing rooms, where two doors stood to separate the boys from the girls. Harry looked at the doors and fear suddenly gripped him. What would happen once they changed out of their quidditch robes? Would things return to the awkwardness they had been experiencing recently? Harry didn’t like that idea. He much preferred the long discussion and banter he was having with Ginny right here and now.

“Don’t sell yourself too short, Potter. I’m sure you’ve got a couple of tricks up your sleeve,” Ginny commented as she opened the door to the girls’ changing area.

“Wait,” Harry said impulsively. Ginny turned around, curious. “Ginny, I…miss this,” Harry said, his own words sounding unsure to him.

Ginny closed her eyes and stepped out from the doorway, letting it shut behind her. She gave a soft sigh and replied in a patient tone. “What do you miss, Harry?”

Wishing he had thought this through, Harry was forced to speak. If only he had prepared a statement, some sure way to get their friendship back without endangering her or his mission to vanquish Voldemort. “I miss…well…I miss our friendship. I miss having fun with you and joking around…and…”

Ginny groaned loudly before turning on him, her voice raised and her patience lost. “No, Harry. I’ll tell you what you miss. You miss our relationship.” Harry made to interrupt her to say that that’s exactly what he said, but Ginny quickly clarified, in very loud and upset voice. “No, Harry. Not our friendship. Not even our fake relationship, though we both may have enjoyed that as well. I refuse to believe you are so stupid or so blind not to have seen what’s been going on between us.

“I didn’t realize it, in my own denial and stupidity, until you did become my fake boyfriend. But what I found, and surely you did too, is that we were always boyfriend and girlfriend! In everything but physicality and the title. Didn’t you find it odd that almost nothing changed when we starting ‘dating?’”

Harry didn’t respond, but admitted to himself that he had noticed as much.

“What you miss is being able to be completely open and honest with someone,” Ginny said, her voice a little softer and her words a little slower now. “You miss being told you’re great, and telling someone that she is, too, whenever you want. You miss…loving and feeling loved.”

Ginny stopped for a moment, trying to compose herself. Harry didn’t know what to say, or even what to think. Ginny spoke again. “What we were doing for these last two months…it almost worked. It almost worked because we weren’t playing a part, really. We were finally putting the title onto what we had, even if it was a fake title. But something isn’t right about the way it happened. And until we fix that, it can’t keep happening.”

Silence followed. A pensive, yet nervous, silence. Harry tried his hardest to wrap his mind around what Ginny had said. Surely she had admitted to having feelings for him. And a knowledge that he had feelings for her as well. On paper, it would seem so simple. But in Harry’s mind, it was more complicated than ever. Neither can live while the other survives, Harry thought.

“Ginny…”

At his tone, Ginny’s eyes closed in expected pain. “Harry,” she interrupted quickly. “Tell me I’m wrong.”

He looked at the hard, blazing look she occasionally got. Even without makeup on, looking slightly dehydrated from practice, and certainly emotionally worn out from their conversation, she was beautiful. And Harry never wanted to hurt her again. But he knew his duty to the prophecy, to the wizarding world, and to her future–and he needed to give it his full attention. If he couldn’t limit their relationship to the degree necessary to fulfill his duty while simultaneously not hurting her, then we would just have to cut it off completely. Harry’s resolve hardened to do what was necessary.

“You’re not wrong, Ginny.” Ginny’s eyes opened. She looked validated, but not hopeful. “But you know me and my situation well enough to know what I’ve got to do.”

Ginny laughed bitterly. “Yes, Harry. I know you well enough to know that this is what you think you have to do. And I know that no arguing on my part will change that. Hopefully before long you’ll discover that you’re wrong.” She leaned forward and grabbed Harry by the shoulders. “Don’t make it too long, though.” She kissed him gently on the cheek, smiled sadly at him, and turned and disappeared behind the door to the changing room.

“Phrasing,” Harry said softly to himself as he struggled to push the pain from his heart.

-0-0-0-

Another week passed, and Harry found himself trying to avoid her. He supposed it was because of the sick feeling in his stomach every time he saw her and heard her voice. He was grateful and horrified that she was not seeking his company out either. He felt Hermione’s prediction of losing their entire friendship coming true, but hoped that their feelings for each other were deep enough to outlast the war. Although, Harry realized with great fear that the war could last many years yet. For all he knew, he’d be an old man when Voldemort finally bit the dust and Ginny would be happily married with ten children. A vision played in his mind in which Ginny happily attended to her children when her faceless husband came home from work and kissed her sweetly.

This thought terrified him, of course, but Harry was determined to at least give her that future (along with the whole wizarding world of course) and knew what it would take from him to take down Voldemort. So he tried to distract his aching heart by throwing himself into training and the war effort. In reality, it was his training and the war effort that was distracted. Harry found it increasingly difficult to master new spells and dueling techniques when he practiced with Dumbledore and other teachers. He didn’t make the connection between his newfound struggles and his personal life, however. If anything, he blamed himself for not committing to the duty more diligently sooner. Therefore, he concluded to close himself off even more so.

It got to the point where Harry was appreciative that Dumbledore didn’t want him going to the Burrow again for Christmas. Something about making the train and Burrow a target and also having a mission to accomplish. Harry didn’t really listen all that intently.

Before everyone left for break, Ron and Hermione briefly talked to Harry. They were more candid than they had been since before the ‘break-up.’ Harry supposed they hadn’t wanted to provoke him to anger or tears. But apparently two weeks were long enough to get one’s emotions under control, because they really let him have it before boarding Hogwarts Express.

Harry had rode down to the station with them. As they exited the threstral-pulled carriages and walked to the waiting train, Harry had noticed Ginny speaking amiably with some okay-looking sixth-year boy from Hufflepuff. Ron must have noticed the sour expression on Harry’s face, because he asked, “What are you doing, mate?”

Harry felt that their friendship was far past the point where he could play stupid to delay the inevitable discussion. So instead of responding, ‘what do you mean,’ he instead shook his head and said, “I’ve really botched this one up, haven’t I?”

Ron nodded when Hermione jumped in. “Look, Harry, we know your intentions are noble. But all you are doing is hurting each other! This won’t help the fight against Voldemort!”

Harry’s eyes darted back and forth between Hermione speaking and Ginny lightly hitting the boy’s arm, flirtatiously. It made Harry want to attach one of Fred and George’s new high-flying fireworks to the boy’s robes, ignite it, and see what happened.

Harry shook his head. “Look, guys. I can’t expect you to understand. You’re not out there every other week like I am. I need to be focused. I need to know that everyone here is safe. Otherwise, I won’t be able to do what needs doing!”

Ron just scoffed. “Ever the hero, Harry. Ever think that you need saving some times?”

Harry didn’t think he needed saving so much as the Hufflepuff who now put his hand on the small of Ginny’s back and guided her towards the train. Harry’s hand slowly went to his pocket and fingered his wand. He was trying to decide whether turning the kid into a pygmy puff or a mermaid would be more emasculating when he was saved by Ginny glancing back sadly in his direction. They made eye contact briefly and Harry saw in her eyes that she was not happy with who was at her side.

When Harry didn’t respond to Ron’s question, Hermione spoke up instead. “I don’t mean to toot our own horns here, Harry...” Harry stifled a laugh at the thought of Hermione tooting Ron’s horn. Boy, was he immature. Hermione seemed to notice his reaction and pressed on with a slight blush. “…But I think Ron and I have saved you emotionally more than a couple of times. And you’ve let us, despite it putting us in danger. Let Ginny do the same!”

Having sobered at her comments, Harry made his final statement. “I know. You two have been more to me than I could have ever thought possible just six years ago. And I can’t ever thank you enough for it. But I can’t do it again, not to her.”

They boarded the train soon after, being the only two people that he gave a goodbye to.

-0-0-0-

They weren’t even Death Eaters. That made it even more embarrassing, Harry supposed.

Dumbledore lay unconscious at his feet. He had fainted while removing the wards at Azkaban. Now Harry was left to his own devices to fend off several (Death) Snackers (dubbed proudly so by Harry)–witches and wizards aspiring to be Death Eaters–while trying to avoid grabbing the attention of the Death Eaters and Dementors at the prison not half a mile away.

The prison no longer held the guilty. Instead, with the Dementors having switched sides and fighting for Voldemort, the prison was used for Order and Ministry members who could not be controlled with the Imperius curse, but who might be useful to Voldemort later on in his war. They were kept alive, but only just.

Harry and Dumbledore had planned a rescue mission, but they did not know that Voldemort had put Snackers to work guarding the perimeter of the prison. Their timing was impeccable, arriving just as Dumbledore had fainted. It was the price of bringing down the wards, which Harry and Dumbledore had factored into their plans as being a possibility. But now, Harry was fighting four wizards and a witch all on his own, trying to defend Dumbledore, all while trying not to make noise and attract actual dangers.

Harry quickly became frustrated with himself. He had fought Snackers on a few occasions already, and had never struggled with them as he did now. His spells did not carry the power that they normally did, and his mind was not as quick to react to the battle. Something isn’t right, he thought angrily to himself.

Curse after curse struck their shields, causing no apparent damage or deterioration. It was odd. Meanwhile, his own shield was slowly beginning to cave under the constant bombardment of magic. He had to stay stationary to keep his shield in front of Dumbledore as well, and that certainly decreased his dueling ability. The two things Harry had going for him was that he had his back to a cliff edge, so the Snackers he faced would not be able to surround him, and second, they were relatively stupid enemies.

Even so, he felt his own power waning, and had only taken out one of his aggressors. Knowing he wouldn’t be able to win this battle, he thought quickly and came up with a plan.

He waved his wand at Dumbledore and his wand, casting two spells. He studied the spells being hurled towards him, deciding which spells to shield against. He waited patiently for the right moment. Just as a low-powered stunner came at him, he waved his wand to cast one final charm.

The stunner hit him square in the chest, and Harry’s vision faded to black.
Reviews 78
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear