Search:

SIYE Time:7:54 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


After
By Senator of Sorcery

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Asylum Challenge (2013-3), Asylum Challenge (2013-3)
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, All, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 105
Summary: *** Winner of Best Overall, Best Drama and the People’s Choice Award in the Asylum Challenge ***
*Nominated for 2014 April/May and November/December DSTA for Best Romance and Best Drama* *Nominated for 2016 January/February DSTA for Best Drama and Best Completed*

Ginny's plans for the weekend were just perfect: a day out in Hogsmeade with her girlfriends. Spend the morning window shopping and wishing, then lunch at the Three Broomsticks, and then to the local theater for a production of the Scottish Play (Macbeth).


Unfortunately, the bad luck of the Scottish Play strikes before it even starts. The village is invaded by Death Eaters, Dementors, and a man she had hoped to never see again in her life.


And in the middle of the battle, Ginny sees something she'd never thought she'd see. Voldemort and one of her greatest friends dueling; Harry Potter and Voldemort fighting so fiercely, she lost focus on her own battle. Harry Potter, crying out, falling, and hitting the ground. Dead.

And then, someone she never expected to help her saves her from Voldemort’s wrath.
Hitcount: Story Total: 167862; Chapter Total: 5096





Author's Notes:
Some dialogue taken from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone, Chapter Two: The Trip To the Zoo, page 28.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Twelve

Harry


Romancer fell over backward with a yelp. Storyteller laughed at him, and the Dreamkeeper smirked. I said nothing, nor did I move. I felt as though in shock. The snake’s forked tongue shot out, tasting the air.

I was frozen in fear. The snake’s eyes gleamed, bathed in yellow light. I felt my heart give a feeble beat.

The Dreamkeeper jostled my shoulder, and I shook myself free of the sudden grip of fear.

“You all right?” she asked softly. I could tell she was trying to keep her voice from carrying to the two hooligans on her other side. I gave a stiff nod and turned my gaze back to the screen, but kept my eyes from the snake’s wide staring eyes.

It hissed, and then, it winked. Harry’s voice came to my ears, from where I could not tell, but suddenly I relaxed. Tension I did not know I was keeping evaporated. My shoulders shrugged and I felt comfortable on my pillow.

“I know,” he said, “it must be really annoying.”

“What’s he talking about?” Romancer said in a loud whisper.

“Hush,” the Dreamkeeper snapped. “He’s talking to the snake.”

Romancer scowled, but turned his attention back to the screen, where the snake was nodding at us.

“Where do you come from, anyway?” Harry asked the snake.

The snake jerked its head to the side, and the view moved, to show a sign bearing the words ‘Boa Constrictor, Brazil’ at the for-front.

Harry looked back to the snake, and so the view changed back. “Was it nice there?”

The snake flicked its tail again, and Harry turned back to the sign. ‘This specimen was bred in the zoo.’

“Oh,” said Harry’s voice, sounding disappointed slightly, “I see. So you’ve never been to Brazil?”

The snake shook its great head sadly, and the screen bobbed from side to side, as though Harry was mimicking the snake.

“DUDLEY! MR. DURSLEY! COME AND LOOK AT THIS SNAKE; YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT IT’S DOING!”

The view turned to see a massive, blonde haired boy- Dudley, I guessed- waddling over as fast as his pudgy little legs could carry him. A slightly skinnier boy stood pointing at what I supposed was the snake, an expression of shock and glee upon his round face.

“Out of the way, you,” Dudley snapped, and he drew back his fist. I clapped my hands over my mouth to prevent a gasp escaping as Dudley sunk his puffy knuckles into Harry, his stomach area, from the brief glance Harry gave to the fist plunging into his ribs. Harry, fell over backward, hitting the floor with a thud and a muffled yelp of pain. Dudley pressed his fat nose to the glass, the other boy leering into the enclosure along beside him. The view narrowed ever so slightly, and then Dudley and the other boy were leaping backwards with girlish shrieks of terror. The glass had vanished. I raised my eyebrows as the snake uncoiled with a hiss of delight; it slid from the enclosure and thudded to the heavy floor. The snake slithered past Harry, who turned his gaze to follow it. As it did, a soft voice hissed “Brazil, here I come… thankssss, amigo.”

And then the screen fuzzed out.

“He vanished the glass?” I asked, impressed.

“That he did,” the Dreamkeeper said, nodding. “The snake unfortunately, did not get to leave for Brazil; they recaptured him and replaced the glass.”

I honestly did not care about the snake. I did not like snakes. I did, however, allow a smile to spread across my face. “Good for Harry,” I whispered.

“Our next highlight is, obviously, his eleventh birthday,” the Dreamkeeper said, and the static faded.

Almost an hour later, we had seen Harry receive his letter, get his wand, cast his first spell, and defeat Quirrell. Then we watched him meet Dobby the house-elf, crash my father’s Ford Anglia, and then the highlight roll skipped to the Chamber. I hung my head in shame as Harry ran to my lifeless figure lying at the foot of the statue. Neither the Dreamkeeper nor Storyteller made any comment, but Romancer gave a smirk and elbowed Storyteller, who elbowed him back, obviously harder because Romancer yelped and shot him a glare. After the Chamber finished, I gratefully looked up. On went the highlights, Harry blew up his aunt, saw Sirius in his dog form for the very first time. We watched Fred and George present him with the Marauder’s Map, and watched him go down the tunnel beneath the Whomping Willow. We watched him try to strangle Sirius, watched him change his mind as Professor Remus told the story of how Wormtail was the one to betray Harry’s parents, and then watched him fend off over a hundred Dementors at once.

His third year finished. The next highlight, Harry was walking out to fight a dragon. Then came the Second Task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament, and then the third.

And then the graveyard. I closed my eyes and buried my face in my arms as Voldemort rose out of the caldron, tortured Harry, and only looked up as the highlight ended. The Dreamkeeper patted my shoulder and gave me a soft smile. I wiped away a tear I had not known had fallen, and watched the next highlight, Harry and the Dementors in Little Whinging. We watched his trial, and watched the first D.A. meeting. Then along came the fiasco at the Ministry. I watched him dodge spells and crashing objects, but the one thing that stuck out in my mind, was before the fight even started.

Bellatrix was taunting him. “Let him watch as we torture the little girl,” she said, with a sick smile of glee, “I’ll do it.”

I knew Harry had stepped in front of me when she said that, but as the highlight showed him stepping in front of me, it played one of his thoughts, something I obviously had not known.

“I won’t watch her get hurt again.” All three of the beings beside me glanced over at me as it played. I pressed my lips together, and sat still. I refused to let the tears gathering in my eyes fall. I blinked them away, and dropped my chin onto my knees.

The highlight ended with Sirius’s death, and Harry chasing after Bellatrix.

I was not prepared for what came next.

The view was of the Gryffindor common room. Centered on the screen, was me, my head bent over a book and a quill held between my teeth.

Romancer let out a laugh. Storyteller nudged him. I felt my jaw drop.

A sigh came from the screen. Harry shook his head, the view shifted side to side, as he stared at me. I watched him watch me, watch me set aside my book with a groan and drop my forehead onto the table. I watched him watch Dean walk over to me, and sit down in the empty chair beside me. I watched him watch Dean put an arm around my shoulders, me look up and smile stiffly at him. I heard Harry let out a huff, and he looked away, down to a textbook, open in his lap.

The highlight ended and on went the next.

Quidditch practice. Harry was sitting still in the air, watching the Chasers. His eyes followed me. Me, as I scored a goal and gave Ron an apologetic smile. Me, as I high-fived Demelza and did a loop in the air. His eyes followed me as we finished practice and touched down, as I walked off with Demelza to the changing rooms. His eyes followed me as I pressed a quick kiss to Dean’s cheek, and then his gaze fell to the ground. He kicked at a pebble, and shoved his hands in his pockets. The highlight ended.

Back in the Gryffindor Common room. Harry was again watching me. This time, I was not doing homework. I was talking with Dean. I shook my head at the screen. I remembered that fight, it stuck out vividly in my mind. It was the last one we had.

“Harry, mate, it’s your turn.”

Harry glanced down around, met eyes with Ron, and looked down at the chess board between them. He moved his bishop, taking a pawn. Ron shook his head and took his bishop with his knight. Harry sighed, moved a pawn, and looked away. Back to me, arguing with Dean. I watched myself set my mouth in a glare and ball my hands into fists. Dean said something, his voice lowered, and the me on the screen gasped, and raised a hand. I slapped him, and said, my voice loud enough to carry to Harry, “I’m sick of the excuses, Dean!”

“What do you want me to do?” Dean asked, rubbing his cheek. “I can’t help it!”

“If you can’t bloody well control yourself then we are done!” I snapped.

Dean squared his shoulders. “Come on, baby, you don’t mean that.”

“I do,” I said, and I mouthed the words as Harry sat up straighter. “I’m sick of your wandering eyes, I’m sick of your flirting with other girls. I can’t trust you anymore, Dean. I’ve told you to get it together; I’ve told you I won’t stand here while you cheat on me, but you haven’t changed. We’re done.”

I watched Dean step back from me. “I- you,” and then he sighed. “Fine.”

I watched myself step away from him, and walk away. Dean’s eyes moved across the room, and locked onto Harry’s. He quickly looked away, down at the chessboard between him and Ron.

“Checkmate,” Ron said.

Harry blinked, staining the screen black for a second, and sighed. “I don’t know why I keep playing you, Ron. You always win.”

“That’s why you got to keep trying,” Ron said, “so you get better. Rematch?”

Harry shook his head. I watched him glance across the room again, to me, mounting the stairs to the girl’s dormitories.

“No, mate,” Harry said. “I’m going to bed.”

And the highlight ended as the me on the screen closed the door.

I had not known he had been watching me. I had not known he had seen me end it with Dean. I felt eyes on me, and turned to face the Dreamkeeper, Romancer, and Storyteller, all watching me with interest in their eyes.

“So, young Harry was already falling for you,” said Romancer. “And you didn’t know it.”

I nodded slowly.

“Typical,” Romancer snorted. “I’ve seen it all the time. The stupid boy doesn’t even realize he’s in love, and you don’t know he likes you. Just typical.”

“Love?” Storyteller said, cocking his head. “I wouldn’t say that at that point he was in love yet.”

“Of course he was,” Romancer said, “I ought to know, remember?”

Storyteller nodded. “I think he was just deeply ‘in like.’”

“Well, by the time he died, he was in love,” Romancer said, “so it doesn’t matter.”

I felt my heart skip a beat. “You think so?” I asked, in a breathless voice. He turned to me, eyebrows raised.

“Think?” he said, scoffing. “I know! Relationships are my specialty, of course. I am the Romancer.”

My eyes strayed back to the screen, which was covered in static. Harry was in love with me? How could I not notice it, how could I not realize he was falling for me? After he and Ron caught Dean and me in that corridor, his attitude towards Dean changed entirely. He treated Dean like an enemy rather than a friend. I had dismissed it then as anger channeled from Ron, but now, I could see it was jealousy. After I broke up with him, he had been an entirely different person, he still was cold to Dean, but he smiled much more easily. How could I not notice it? At every meal after the breakup, Harry sought me out and saved a seat for me at the table. He walked me to my first class each day.

And the weekend he died, he asked me if I wanted to go with him to Hogsmeade. Why had I not realized he was asking me on a date? I had thought he wanted me to go with him and Ron and all. I had said no, because I had already agreed to go with my room-mates on an All-Girl’s day out. Why hadn’t I broken the agreement with them to go with Harry?

I bit my lip, hard. The pain in my lower lip helped distract me from the thoughts whirling through my mind.

The Dreamkeeper cleared her throat beside me. “We’ll start the next highlight. This is his last day in the Mortal World, and we’ll be replaying the last few moments.”

I bit my lip harder. I tasted blood.

The static vanished. The screen showed Hogsmeade High Street, a group of Dementors crowded around:

“Me,” I muttered.
Reviews 105
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear