Search:

SIYE Time:15:40 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


After
By Senator of Sorcery

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Asylum Challenge (2013-3), Asylum Challenge (2013-3)
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, All, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 105
Summary: *** Winner of Best Overall, Best Drama and the People’s Choice Award in the Asylum Challenge ***
*Nominated for 2014 April/May and November/December DSTA for Best Romance and Best Drama* *Nominated for 2016 January/February DSTA for Best Drama and Best Completed*

Ginny's plans for the weekend were just perfect: a day out in Hogsmeade with her girlfriends. Spend the morning window shopping and wishing, then lunch at the Three Broomsticks, and then to the local theater for a production of the Scottish Play (Macbeth).


Unfortunately, the bad luck of the Scottish Play strikes before it even starts. The village is invaded by Death Eaters, Dementors, and a man she had hoped to never see again in her life.


And in the middle of the battle, Ginny sees something she'd never thought she'd see. Voldemort and one of her greatest friends dueling; Harry Potter and Voldemort fighting so fiercely, she lost focus on her own battle. Harry Potter, crying out, falling, and hitting the ground. Dead.

And then, someone she never expected to help her saves her from Voldemort’s wrath.
Hitcount: Story Total: 169254; Chapter Total: 4859





Author's Notes:
Sorry for the wait, guys, but the story has been stubbornly refusing to come to me lately. Don't forget to review!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Twenty

Reunion


I watched in amazement as the fire swirled around us, not burning anything but warming me to the core. Not even the fierce wind chilled my bones now. I reached out to touch the fire. It tickled my fingers.

And then something squeezed my hand. I froze. Slowly, I moved my gaze from the fire to the bed. Harry was no longer deathly pale. His fingers were warm in mine. And his eyes were open.

“H-Harry?” I croaked.

He blinked at me. A smile slowly cracked his face.

“Hey,” he rasped. My wand fell out of my hand. My jaw dropped open. Harry was gripping my hand as hard as I was gripping his.

“I died,” he said, his voice still raspy.

“Y-you did,” I stammered.

“Are you dead too?”

“No,” I forced out. “I... brought you back.”

Harry frowned. “But, I thought-”

I couldn't help it anymore. I fell to my knees beside the bed and pulled him into my arms. A sob escaped my lips. I started crying into his chest, all the pain and grief and worry in my evaporating with each tear. Harry awkwardly patted my back.

“Don't cry,” he said

“I c-couldn't st-stand it!” I sobbed. “You w-were d-dead, and- and it was m-my fault! If y-you did-didn't try to h-help me whe-when T-tom cursed me, you wouldn't have d-died!”

“It wasn't your fault,” Harry said. “I wanted to protect you.”

This only made me cry harder. I had spent so long holding it all in, trying to be strong, the floodgates burst and I couldn't keep the tears back. After a few seconds, I hiccuped away the sobs. I pulled back, wincing inwardly at the wet stain on Harry's shirt. Harry brushed away the tears that still lay on my cheeks. His bright emerald eyes were full of emotion. I knew what it was. Love.

Harry had loved me for a long time. I had pretended I didn't love him anymore, and it must have broken his heart. My chin quivering, I clasped his hands in mine.

“I can't live without you,” I confessed finally. “Harry, I love you.”

His eyes widened with surprise. He gaped a me a second, and then, he pulled me back into his arms. His mouth crashed on mine.

I felt something in me stir. A giddy feeling spread through me. I was so focused on him, his warm lips on mine, I didn't notice the fire storm dying away.

Harry pulled back, one hand still on my cheek. “I love you too,” he said quietly.

The sound of someone clearing their throat interrupted us. Harry let go of me, I fell back onto my butt a little stunned but grinning, to see Bill with his arms crossed and eyebrows raised.

Harry turned bright red.

“I-We- uh- er,” he stammered. Bill rolled his eyes.

“Save it, mate,” Bill said, as a grin broke his face. “I expected as much.”

Lucius had turned around. Bill elbowed him in the back. “They're through,” Bill said. Lucius turned around, obviously trying to hide a smug look.

“My work is done,” Lucius said. “I must find Narcissa.”

“Wait, what's Malfoy doing here?” Harry asked. “Why was Bill expecting me to kiss you?”

“It's a long story,” I said. “Come on, I'll explain on the way to the Hospital Wing.” I pushed myself up, and offered him a hand.

“Hospital Wing?” Harry asked, taking my hand and swinging his legs over the edge of the bed. “Merlin,” he muttered, “I'm stiff as a board.”

I laughed, a pure, free laugh of relief. “You lying there for a few weeks,” I said. “You missed quite a bit.”

Harry took a step forward and stumbled. I grabbed his arm and caught him before he hit the ground. “Here,” I said, wrapping my arm around his waist. “Let me help.”

Harry looked down at my arm around him, and grinned. He draped his arm over my shoulders, grinning like he had just won the lottery.

“I could get used to this,” he said. I smiled. Harry kissed my smile, which made me grin wider.

“Stuff it, lovebirds,” Bill said. “You might have been dead, Harry, but that doesn't give you a free pass to kiss my sister.”

“Being my soul match does, though,” I told Bill. “He may kiss me whenever he wants.”

Harry grinned from ear to ear, even though I could tell he was confused as hell.

“Come on,” I said. “Ron's waiting.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


“So, we're soul mates?” Harry asked as I finished explaining everything that had happened. I had not said anything about the demon yet. There would be time for that later.

“Matches,” I said. “But close enough.”

“I'm liking this,” he said, grinning lopsidedly at me. My heart skipped a beat. I grinned back at him.

But when I turned my gaze to him, he wasn't there. Instead, I saw a rotting corpse, flesh falling off it. I almost screamed, and jumped back.

“Ginny, what's wrong?” the corpse asked, as I pressed against the wall. I shook my head jerkily, and the rotting corpse turned back into Harry. A voice sounded in my ear, “I warned you. Now you will pay.”

Harry's smile was gone. His brow was creased with worry.

“I- It-” I stuttered, and sighed. “Harry, not everything's okay.”

“What do you mean?”

I grabbed his hand. “I paid a price to get you back,” I said. “I don't know when it will happen completely, but I- I'm going insane.”

Harry frowned. “What do you mean?” he repeated, his voice low.

“There's a demon, who's trying to escape his prison and get into our world. He came to me in a vision, and told me if I didn't leave you in the Waiting Realm, he would drive me insane. There's something about you that must throw a wrench in his plans, or-”

Harry cut me off by pulling me into his arms. He held me tight, and I relaxed in his arms.

“I won't let whatever that thing is hurt you,” he said in my ear. I smiled, but I knew that it would happen anyway. It was already happening.

I pulled back. “Come on, Ron will want to see you when he wakes up.”

“How's he dealt with me being dead?” Harry asked as we resumed walking, my arm around him to hold him steady.

“Well, I don't know,” I said. “I was gone most of the time he was out of it, trying to bring you back. I don't even know if he knew you were dead.”

Harry nodded. The rest of the walk was walked in silence. Harry's jaw was tight, and his eyes were focused straight ahead. I wondered what he was thinking about.

I pushed open the hospital wing doors. Madam Pomfrey turned around, and dropped the tray of medicines in her hands. It clattered to the floor, but Madam Pomfrey did not bend to pick it up.

“Potter,” she said. “You- you-”

Harry spread his arms, well, arm, since one of his arms was holding onto me to stay upright. “Back from the dead,” he said, a small smile on his face. I laughed.

A flash of blackness caught my eyes. I turned to see what it was, and I saw a shadow looming over Ron's bed. My breath caught in my throat, but I stayed calm. It was not there. It was not real. I blinked, and it was gone.

A weight seemed to drop onto my shoulders.

“Nothing will be all right,” hissed the voice in my ear. “I will break you.”

I ignored it. I smiled at Harry, and helped him to Ron's bedside. Mum and Hermione were still asleep. I grabbed a chair and helped Harry into it.

“Who know being dead could cause so much stiffness,” Harry grumbled. “I feel like an old man!”

I smiled at him. He held out his arms to me. “Sit down,” he said.

“On your lap?” I said, raising an eyebrow.

Harry stuck out his bottom lip. He looked so ridiculous, I snorted, but sat down on his lap. Harry wrapped his arms around me, and I tucked my head beneath his chin. It was prickly. It felt weird, but I liked it. I closed my eyes, safe in his warm embrace. I had him back. Ron was getting better. I might have had an impossible task ahead of me, but at that moment, nothing could ruin my mood.

I heard rasping breaths behind me. I refused to open my eyes. I felt heat on the back of my neck. I knew the demon had conjured some new horror for me to see, but I refused to play his game. I ignored it. Pain stabbing the back of my neck. I clenched my jaw, but pretended it wasn't there. After a moment, it was gone. I felt warm lips press to my hair.

“It'll be all right,” Harry whispered. I nodded, but did not look up.

“You will never be all right,” hissed the evil voice. I bit my lip, and squeezed my eyes shut.

“Gin...” a voice said groggily.

I looked up. Ron had opened his eyes, and was looking at me blearily.

“Ron!” I squealed, jumping off of Harry's lap and rushing to the bedside.

“Why were you sitting on Harry?” Ron mumbled, one eye still half shut.

I let out a nervous laugh. “It's a long story, Ron,” I said.

“Ginny?”

I looked back to Harry. He had an embarrassed look on his face.

“I can't get up,” he said. I nodded, and went back to help him out of the chair. He leaned on me as he smiled at Ron.

“How are you feeling, mate?” Harry asked.

Ron groaned. “Like an elephant sat on me and took a nap. What's wrong with you?”

“I'm just a little stiff,” Harry said.

“Stiff? What for?”

“I may have been immobile for a few weeks,” Harry answered.

Ron nodded slowly. “You get your insides blasted out too?”

“More like killed.”

“What?”

“I sort of, well, kind of, er, died, mate.”

Ron's eyes widened in panic. “Am I dead too?” he said in a squeaky voice. “Are you dead, Ginny?”

“No, no, no one's dead,” I said. “Harry was dead, but I brought him back.”

Ron went from panic to confusion. “I must be loopy because I thought you said dead and brought back.”

“I did.”

“But-”

“It's complicated,” I said. “Wait until you're better, all right?”

Ron fell back against his pillows. He nodded, looking around the room. Then he frowned.

“Who's on my knees?”

I glanced at the sleeping form of Hermione. Madam Pomfrey had draped a blanket over her, and her hair covered her face.

“Hermione,” I said.

Harry reached over and gently nudged Hermione's shoulder. She stirred, sitting up slowly. First, her eyes found Ron. She squealed, jumped up, and pushed past Harry to grab Ron's hand. Harry stumbled, and I threw an arm around his waist to steady him.

“How are you feeling?” Hermione asked.

“Fine,” Ron said. “You were on my knees.”

Hermione turned beet red. “Oh, I, um,” she glanced around, and her jaw dropped when her eyes locked on Harry.

“Harry!” she gasped. “You were dead!”

Harry raised a hand, “Yes, I'm aware of that.”

Just then Mum woke up. She saw Harry, let out a gasp, and slumped in her chair.

“Mum?” Ron croaked. “You all right?”

“I'm losing my mind,” Mum muttered, her eyes shut.

The situation was just so unbelievable that I smiled. I felt like telling Mum she wasn't losing it, but then I would have to explain all about the demon, and Ron had just woken up. I didn't want to ruin the mood.

The doors opened again, and in streamed Bill, Fred, George, Dad, Percy, and Charlie. They surged towards Ron's bed, and all stopped- all but Bill- in their tracks when they caught sight of Harry.

“Yes, I was dead,” Harry said. “And now I'm not. Focus on Ron.”

Percy slumped. No one made any move to catch him, and he hit the floor. I shook my head at him. Fred and George pinched each other, and both yelped loudly. Dad shut his mouth with a snap, and rubbed at his eyes. Charlie walked over, and poked Harry hard in the shoulder.

“Ow,” Harry said, giving Charlie a bemused look.

“He was dead, right?” Charlie asked the room at large.

“Yes,” Bill said. “And now he's not. Get with the times.”

An uneasy laugh rippled through my brothers and father. Percy still lay flat on his back on the ground. They gathered around Ron's bed, all talking in loud voices.

Harry brought his mouth to my ear. “Could we go somewhere?” he asked. “The lake maybe?”

I glanced up at him. He had a look in his eyes that I had never seen. They were dark with... something.

“All right,” I said. No one noticed us leave the Hospital Wing, but for Bill. He gave me a short nod and turned his attention back to Ron.

Harry and I ended up just wandering through the corridors. He seemed to have worked the stiffness out of his legs, but wouldn't let go of me. I didn't mind, I liked having his arm around me. He didn't talk, so I didn't either.

Somewhere on the sixth floor, Harry stopped. He pulled his arm from around my shoulders and wrapped them around my waist. Then he was kissing me, and I melted in his arms. I didn't know how long we stood there, just that Harry's arms were holding me to him tightly, and that I was clinging to him in the same way.

When we finally came up for air, both of us were panting. His glasses had been knocked askew, and his hair was mussed up worse than normal.

“I've been wanting to do that for a long time,” he said in a low voice. A smile broke my face.

“I've been wanting you to do it,” I said. “Again?” I added hopefully.

To my surprise, Harry shook his head. “I have to talk to you,” he said. “Gin, remember when we broke into the Ministry and- and Sirius was killed? Remember the prophecy they were trying to get?”

I nodded. Harry rushed on. “It got smashed, but Dumbledore was the one who first received the prophecy. He told me what it said. It was about me and Voldemort. It said-”

I interrupted by placing my mouth on his. When I pulled back, there was a glazed look of both confusion and giddiness on his face.

“That was the nicest way I could think of shutting you up,” I said. “I know already, Harry. Dumbledore showed it to me after you died, but I guessed at it before that. You're supposed to kill him.”

Harry clenched his jaw. The glazed expression prompted by my kiss had gone. He nodded slowly.

I laid my head on his shoulder. “We'll do it together,” I said. “I'll help you.”

“No, I won't let you risk yourself.”

I picked my head up and glared at him. He gulped.

“I WILL help,” I said. “And you cannot stop me from saving your arse.”

He let out a chuckle, but then his expression became serious again. “I can't lose you,” he said. “If Voldemort got you- if he killed you-”

“Then you'd bring me back like I brought you back,” I said, ignoring the image of Harry swinging from a rope in the back of my mind. This was my mistake.

Movement caught my eye. I turned my gaze, to see Harry dangling from a rope, slowly revolving in the air, his face paper white. I let out a yelp, and Harry's, the real Harry's, arms around me tightened. I shut my eyes, burying my face in Harry's shirt. It was not real, I told myself. But the sound of the rope creaking as Harry's weight dragged it down and the image seared into my brain did not help me.

“Ginny, whatever you're seeing, it isn't real,” Harry said. I looked up into his face, colored from our snogging, not white with death.

“I know,” I whispered. “It- It just looks real.”

“It will be real,” a voice whispered in my ear. “After I break you, I will take pleasure in seeing him swing.”

“It's not real,” Harry said again. “I'm here, you're safe.”

“You are not safe,” the voice hissed. “And you never will be.”

I pulled Harry's mouth to mine. Fear and doubt and worry clouded my mind, but I pushed it all away, filling my thoughts with him.

The kiss ended too soon. The hallucination of Harry's body hanging from a rope was gone, but the chill brought by the voice was not. Harry's arms were warm around me, but it had settled into my skin for the long haul.

“I'll keep you safe,” Harry whispered into my hair.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*


That night, I lay on my side staring at a flickering candle light in my near empty dorm. I could not sleep. A dull ache had spread through my chest when Harry had kissed me goodnight in the common room and had gotten steadily worse. My eyes fixed on the flame as the demon's minions pranced around my room, each doing their best to scare me. Their worst would have probably been enough to frighten me out of sleeping. I tried my best to keep my mind blank, but the demon seemed to know exactly what I was afraid of.

I shuddered as I heard it again. The low, scraping sound of scales sliding over wood, scales worn by a heavy reptile body. I focused on my candle, afraid to sleep for what the demon could do to me in my dreams.

Something beneath my bed stirred. A hiss reached my ears. Fear gripped me again, its grip getting stronger with each new vision. Against my will, my eyes were pulled to the edge of the bed. A single, long scaled arm reached out, ending in a clawed three fingered hand. I pulled my knees up to my chest, and shut my eyes tightly.

I felt like something was running down my leg. I opened one eye, to see a single claw pressed against my skin and slipping down. I stifled a scream and jumped away from it, off the bed. I grabbed my wand and candle and fled the dormitory. I flew down the stairs, and then up the boys' stairs. I ran down the corridor, passing door after door, shielding my flame from the wind created by my run with my hand. I skidded to a halt outside Harry's door, and raised my hand to bang on it, but before I could it was pulled open. Harry stood there, his hair a mess from sleep but wide awake with his glasses on and wand drawn. He grabbed my arm and pulled me close to him, looking around the hallway.

“What was it?” he asked, his eyes darting down the empty hallway. “What happened?”

I tried to catch my breath, and shook my head at him. He frowned at me.

“I- I saw-” I panted. “It- it touched my leg-”

Harry wrapped an arm around me, pulling me into the room. He took the candle holder from me and led me over to his bed. He pushed me down onto it, and set the candle on the nightstand. He knelt in front of me and covered my hands in his.

“It wasn't real,” he said. “I promise. You're safe now.”

“It felt real,” I whispered. “All of it...”

Harry kissed the back of my hand. “But it wasn't. It's just some idiot demon trying to mess with you. We're going to kick his butt and make him wish he'd never even tried to escape his prison.”

I did not smile. The fear was still too strong.

“I'm losing my mind,” I said softly.

Harry's grip on my hands tightened. “You are not going to go mental on me,” he said. “I died and bloody came back, I'm not letting some thing mess with you.”

His face was full of fierce love, his eyes fixed on mine with a strong determination. I was still afraid, and I knew that I would be until the demon was defeated or I lost it completely, but the fear had lessened just a little bit.

“Can I stay here tonight?” I asked in a small voice.

A muscle jerked in Harry's cheek. His eyes flicked to the bed behind us, Ron's, which was empty; but his eyes returned to mine and he nodded.

Harry stood up, and I lay down on his bed. I remembered the night after he died, when I had fallen asleep here crying. As Harry lay down beside me, my eyes found the photograph album again. I watched my family waving at me, Percy's hair turning violet every five seconds, watched me plant a kiss on Harry's cheek, and my brothers all laughing at his blush. Harry's arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me close to his chest.

“I love you,” he whispered in my ear.

“I love you, too,” I said, and a smile formed on my face. I let my eyes flutter shut, and sleep stole me almost instantly.
Reviews 105
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear