Search:

SIYE Time:14:14 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


After
By Senator of Sorcery

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Asylum Challenge (2013-3), Asylum Challenge (2013-3)
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, All, Draco Malfoy, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Lily Potter, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 105
Summary: *** Winner of Best Overall, Best Drama and the People’s Choice Award in the Asylum Challenge ***
*Nominated for 2014 April/May and November/December DSTA for Best Romance and Best Drama* *Nominated for 2016 January/February DSTA for Best Drama and Best Completed*

Ginny's plans for the weekend were just perfect: a day out in Hogsmeade with her girlfriends. Spend the morning window shopping and wishing, then lunch at the Three Broomsticks, and then to the local theater for a production of the Scottish Play (Macbeth).


Unfortunately, the bad luck of the Scottish Play strikes before it even starts. The village is invaded by Death Eaters, Dementors, and a man she had hoped to never see again in her life.


And in the middle of the battle, Ginny sees something she'd never thought she'd see. Voldemort and one of her greatest friends dueling; Harry Potter and Voldemort fighting so fiercely, she lost focus on her own battle. Harry Potter, crying out, falling, and hitting the ground. Dead.

And then, someone she never expected to help her saves her from Voldemort’s wrath.
Hitcount: Story Total: 169271; Chapter Total: 4137







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Thirty-Four
The Battle Begun


Once they left Gringotts, Romancer took the Three Graces back to the Realm of Dreamers. He promised to be back quickly, though the Dreamkeeper looked skeptical. Harry wanted to ask why Romancer took such an interest in the legion, but before he could Storyteller gave him a warning look.

They returned to Hogwarts via one of Dreamkeeper's portals. It was very late, and the sky outside was black without any stars. Instantly, Kingsley and Moody pounced on him, giving him battle plans and any new information they had. More and more people pressed in on all sides, battering him with questions. Had his mission gone well? What were the giants going to do to help them? Was it true that Voldemort had demons to help him?

"Please, let me through," Harry shouted finally over the din of over-lapping voices. "The Death Eaters will be here very soon and I need to get to the other giants!"

"Is it true you died?" someone shouted.

"Those giant fairies are going to turn us, I know it!"

“How can we trust them?”

"We're doomed!"

"Quiet!" Harry shouted. "We are not doomed. The giants are our friends, they will help us. We have a better chance with them on our side."

The crowd pressed closer; Ginny gripped his hand tightly, her eyes darting over the crowd. Harry grumbled a curse then started pushing and shoving his way through the crowd, pulling Ginny along behind him with Moody, Kingsley, Ron, Hermione and Bill following close behind. Harry got out and into the Great Hall, where there was still a large group of people but they were huddled in the center of the hall, leaving a clear path to the top table where the giants were all standing. Harry hurried towards them. They stood around a table with what looked like a three dimensional map of Hogwarts and the Forbidden Forest. Professors McGonagall, Flitwick, Sprout, and Slughorn were with them, along with Remus, the Weasley parents, two men that Harry couldn't remember, and Luna. Luna spotted them and waved them over.

"What's she doing up there?" Ron asked in a mumble.

"She's a Storm demon," Harry answered. "Next in line for the throne of the Storm Kingdom to be exact."

Ron opened his mouth, and then closed it again. "Right," he said.

"Potter," McGonagall said. "Good. You were successful?"

Harry nodded. "We have to remember that we need Voldemort and Tom alive."

"Why is that?" Professor Slughorn asked.

Harry glanced at Ginny. "We made a deal with the Judges. They're going to give us something if we deliver both Tom and Voldemort at the same time."

Slughorn opened his mouth again, but Dreamkeeper cut him off. "Harry, we have to rally the troops soon. My dream spirits report that the Night-felled in Voldemort's army are experiencing difficulties with their dream influences, so you don't have to worry about them as much."

Harry furrowed his eyebrows. "Difficulties with their what?"

"In their full state, Night-felled produce an energy that will knock out even other demons and cause a state of sleep terror," Dreamkeeper explained. "At the moment, however, their energies are scrambled and they couldn't lull a baby to sleep."

"Oh. That's good. What's stopping them again?"

Dreamkeeper smiled. "I'm not the Lord of Dreams for nothing."

"Good. Very good. What about the other demons in his army?"

Storyteller spoke up. "There aren't that many real demons, mostly just shadow spirits and what you might call poltergeists. Though not the nice kind, like your Peeves. The evil kind that likes to behead people then set fire to their entrails."

Harry blinked, trying not to imagine watching Peeves rip out his guts and set them on fire. "That was a weird detail. Thanks. I really needed that image."

Storyteller nodded. "I know you're being sarcastic, but you're welcome. The shadow spirits are easy enough for us to deal with, though you mortals might get totally paralyzed by fear once you see them."

"Oh, wonderful. Why don't we add a couple of atomic bombs to Voldemort's ranks while we're at it?"

"Sarcasm is still not appreciated, kid. Dreamkeeper's got a spell to prevent your people from being paralyzed."

"Okay, that's actually good."

Storyteller clapped Harry on the shoulder; Harry’s knees trembled and threatened to buckle beneath him. He steadied himself then picked up a small piece off the map; a tiny figure holding out an even smaller wand. “These represent the fighters?”

The Storm King nodded. She took the figure from him and placed it back on the edge of the forest, where three other figures were standing. “Each figure represents a regiment of your troops. We divided them into regiments, by the way,” she added. “You had about seventy mortals at Hogwarts, and more than fifty more came to your aid. So now, you have under your command ten regiments of fifteen mortals, three regiments of ten Storm Demons, and three regiments of ten Fire Demons. The Dreamkeeper has twenty Night-felled and silent all willing to help, and seven of the Night-felled who were working with Voldemort obeyed the call to come to the Dreamkeeper’s aid.”

“That’s quite a lot,” Harry said, his hopes perking up.

“However, our initial estimate for the spirits and folk allying with Voldemort was off. The actual number is closer to three hundred.”

And his hopes deflated. “Three hundred?”

“More like three fifty,” said one of the Fire demons. Harry groaned.

“When will the Death Eaters arrive at the Forest’s edge?” he asked, dreading the answer.

“Within the half hour,” said Fraya grimly.

“Why is it taking them so long?” Ron asked.

“That is an excellent question!” replied Storyteller. “The wards around this estate are very strong, and there are some that were put up ages past, tuned to a specific frequency that has kept them from fading, and these are slowing the advance of the Death Eaters. They must first blast through each layer, and each layer gets stronger as it lies closer to the heart of Hogwarts.”

“Then of course, they must fight the living thorns,” added Dreamkeeper. Harry frowned.

“Living thorns?”

“Yes,” she said. “When you grew those vines yesterday, you put in more than their fair share of magic. They used the excess to come alive and attack any who might do you harm.”

Harry blinked. Living thorns. He’d done that. “Right,” he said, not sure what else he could say.

The Storm King touched his shoulder. “There is a great deal of power in you, my boy. I could sense it the moment my daughter was named your blood sister. I could sense it even before then, when I myself was made blood sister to your father. This battle is only the beginning of your destiny.”

Harry nodded because that was the only thing he could think of to do. “Uh, thanks, I think, ma’am.” It then occurred to him that he didn’t actually know her name. “Er, what’s your name?”

“Mine? Oh, of course, I haven’t actually told you yet,” the Storm King smiled apologetically, “it is Janu, after my grandmother.”

The trees on the map suddenly shuddered. Harry glanced down and saw miniature centaurs galloping out of the woods towards the castle. He looked up, his brow furrowed in confusion.

“The map comes to life as well,” said Frost. “It is a trick we use in our own wars.”

“A herd of centaurs approaches!” someone shouted from behind them.

Harry turned, then hurried off the raised platform and started towards the doors, followed by Ginny, Janu, Fraya, and the Dreamkeeper. The crowd in the room parted before them; Harry ran from the castle and onto the grounds. He stopped at the base of the wide steps, and so did the lead centaur.

He recognized him as Ronan, the chestnut haired centaur he’d met almost five years ago in the Forbidden Forest while serving detention. He stared up at the centaur, and he stared back. There was a very long moment of uneasy silence, then the centaur took off his bow and held it out before him. He bent his front legs, and lowered his head.

“I recognize Hogwarts King,” Ronan rumbled. “I pledge my service to him in his hour of need.”

Harry’s mouth fell open. “Wh — what?”

Ronan looked up, fixing his gaze on Harry’s befuddled face. “I recognize you as the heir to Hogwarts, owner and king over this land, and I offer my help in the upcoming battle.”

“I — I’m no king,” Harry spluttered. “I don’t own Hogwarts!”

Ronan straightened up, and pawed at the ground with a hoof. “But you do. Now, you do.”

“No, you must be mistaken,” Harry insisted.

“The stars have declared it,” said another of the centaurs, a gray haired and bearded male with dark eyes. “You are the heir that was foretold.”

“What makes you think this boy is now Hogwarts King?” asked Janu as she stepped forward.

“It was written in the days of old,” said the gray centaur, stepping forward as well, “that the line of the king would be dry and empty, that none of his descendants could claim his legacy until one great battle between mortals and demons and spirits, until the Lords of Farther Realms came to our world to defend it. On that day, a boy would rise up as leader of them and could finally claim the king’s legacy.”

“And what king is that?” Janu asked.

“The last king over this land,” Ronan said. “Surely you know him.”

“I might, but I doubt Harry does. Who is this king?”

The gray centaur took from a belt slung across his flank a notched dagger, which he held out to Harry. “The grandson of the great Arthur, however illegitimate, Hadrian Gryffindor.”

“Also called Godric, am I correct?” Janu asked.

“Yes, Godric the Scholar. Hadrian’s second name was Godric.”

Harry blinked. “What?”

The gray centaur gestured for Harry to take the dagger. “There is the weapon that Hadrian Godric favored, forged by the goblins for him. Take it, and we shall see if you truly are his heir.”

Harry took a step back. “Okay, I am getting very very confused. I can’t be a descendant of King Arthur because he didn’t actually exist.”

“Yes, he did,” Ginny said. “He was a wizard, who lead the fight against the Romans during the ninth or tenth century. The Ministry erased most historical data supporting his existence because a lot of it mentioned wizarding history as well.”

Harry looked between them, trying to form words. After words failed him, he shut his mouth and simply stared at the centaurs.

“Take the dagger,” the gray centaur said again.

Harry held out his hand; the man-horse placed the hilt of the blade in his palm. Harry held it up, examining it. The handle was set with rubies, and the blade was engraved with the letters ‘GRYFF’. He frowned a moment, wondering why the full name wasn’t there, when the metal shimmered. His eyes widened in shock as the blade lengthened, the rest of the name appearing on the blade. In a few seconds, he held the full sword of Gryffindor in his palm.

“Wow,” Harry said.

“That settles it,” said the gray centaur. “You are the heir of Gryffindor.”

Harry looked at the sword, then at the centaur, then up at the sky. He was going to just have to accept that life would never ever be fair and nice and normal for him. He would just have to be the heir of Gryffindor, contain part of Ginny’s soul in his, end a twenty or so year war, and act as the only heir to Albus Dumbledore too. He would have to expect more and more totally weird things to happen to him.

“Fine,” Harry mumbled. “You can give me your proof and explain all this later.”

“Very well,” said the centaur. “It would take much too long anyway. The Death Eaters now are fighting their way through the last of your barrier of thorns. We ourselves had to struggle through it, even though we wish you no ill will.”

Harry’s eyes snapped to the black-haired Bane, who he suspected didn’t really like him. The thorns had probably thought that as well. “Right. So, all of you are willing to act in my service until the battle’s over?”

“Until it is won,” Ronan said, stamping a hoof again. “We will not accept any defeat.”

“Great!” Harry said. “Any help is a great help. Right, so you guys want to, er, find a good position to kill Death Eaters then?” He glanced at Janu, who smiled at him encouragingly.

“I will show Master Ronan where his men and women should stand,” she said, waving for him to follow her back inside. The centaur clambered up the steps awkwardly; Harry and the others followed the Storm King back inside the castle. They moved back into the Great Hall and to the three-d map of the grounds. Janu quickly gave Ronan the placements, then asked that he allow the Dreamkeeper to cast a spell over all the centaurs, to protect them from the dark energy being given off by the dark spirits. Dreamkeeper took the cue and followed Ronan out.

“We have placed several regiments already,” Janu explained to Harry as Ronan and the Dreamkeeper left the hall, “and Dreamkeeper has cast her protection spell over them as well. The remaining men and women will wait within the castle as second and third waves against the Death Eaters. Our first goal will be to take out the Night-felled and the shadow spirits, which is what my Storm demons and Fraya’s Fire demons will do. The mortals should do their best to defend themselves against the spirits but focus on the Death Eaters.” Harry nodded, listening as carefully as he could. “This has already been given to those outside of course, but those inside will need to be instructed before the Death Eaters arrive.”

“Why don’t we call them now?” Harry asked.

Janu nodded. “Yes, that would be good. Storyteller, if you would.”

The giant nodded; he turned to the edge of the platform and sucked in a deep breath. Then he opened his mouth and his voice came booming out, echoing violently off the walls. “COME TO THE GREAT HALL IMMEDIATELY FOR BATTLE INSTRUCTIONS.”

Janu nodded gratefully to him as he stepped back. “Thank you, Storyteller.” Harry repeated this, sticking a finger into his ear to make sure that nothing was broken. A moment later, the Great Hall was rapidly filling, and soon everyone was gathered in the hall. Janu stepped to the front of the group of giants and addressed the group. Dreamkeeper cast her spell. They listened to the Storm King with hushed tongues and wide eyes. Harry knew that the silence was outside even, and that it was only the calm before the storm.

Harry’s eyes fell to the map. The four figures representing the sixty or so wizards waiting outside began to move back, away from the forest. He leaned in closer, watching. The trees shuddered again, and a clump at the very edge was suddenly blasted apart. New figures appeared on the edge, none of which looked friendly.

“They’re here!” he shouted.

Harry ran off the platform and began pushing through the crowd, shoving his way out into the Entrance Hall. He ran through the oak doors, and stopped on the steps. Flashes of light came from the edge of the forest; he saw arrows and could hear shouts of spells and curses already. There were creatures circling above the fight, diving down occasionally and causing someone to shout in pain. Janu and Ginny were suddenly beside him, looking out as well.

“Remember the plan, Harry,” Janu said. “Let our demons fight theirs first.”

Harry nodded. “Where are they?”

Janu pointed, and Harry followed her finger to the edge of the fight where a sudden vortex had appeared. From it came several ten foot tall men and women, some on fire and others wielding lightning or water. They stormed the clashing groups, and began to attack the tallest of the fighters on Voldemort’s side as well as the flying creatures. Harry drew both his wand and Dumbledore’s wand.

“I’m going to fight,” he said. He glanced at Ginny, who had drawn her wand as well. “Any chance I can get you to stay here?”

“None,” she replied. “I’m ready to kick ass.”
Reviews 105
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear