Search:

SIYE Time:10:37 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Lazy Summer Days
By Senator of Sorcery

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Other, Ron Weasley
Genres: Fluff, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 18
Summary: Nominated for Nov. 2013 Best Romance, Best Comedy and Best New Story.


Summer is the best time of the year, no matter what those Christmas carols say. Because during summer, you can wear cut-off jeans, run around barefoot and cause a general ruckus. Summertime is the time of care-free fun, and summer nights elicit sudden feelings of warmth and romance. During summer the days are long and lazy, and the in a particular little village in Devon England, love is in the air. Summer is when my good friend Cupid runs rapid, not Valentine’s Day, ‘cause that’s just one day while summer has weeks and weeks of warm air and sweet kisses. Good ole Cupid enjoys a good summer fling, and he knows just who needs a good fling, with a kick in the pants to get there. Let’s just say that Harry and Ginny become fast friends, given Ron and Hermione’s peculiar behavior, and if I know Cupid, they’ll become fast more-than-friends too.
Hitcount: Story Total: 10141; Chapter Total: 2968







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Lazy Summer Days
Two: Kissing in the Rain

“Cupid!” Valentina shouted over the sound of eggs frying and the coffee pot bubbling. “Sweetheart, you’re going to be late! It’s already about seven o’clock in Devon!”

A grumbling Cupid descended the stairs to his kitchen, fully dressed with his hair a rat’s nest and his eyes glued together with sleep.

“It’s three in the morning,” he mumbled. “Why can’t I go later?”

Valentina shoved a cup of coffee into his hand and patted his cheek sympathetically.
“I’m sorry, honey, but that Ginny Weasley’s up early, and Potter’s going to be following her any minute now. It’s the perfect time to hit him with an arrow!”

“I tried last night,” Cupid moaned. “I missed again! And I never miss!”

“Don’t be like that,” Valentina scolded. “Negativity never got anyone anywhere.”

Cupid sipped his coffee moodily. Valentina scooped eggs onto a plate and handed it to her husband with a fork.

“Eat quickly, darling, and don’t be late for dinner,” she said. Cupid did as he was told, and ate the eggs with haste.

“Have a nice trip!” Valentina said as he swung his bow and quiver onto his back.

“I’ll see you tonight,” he said, giving her a quick kiss. “Love you.”

“I love you, too,” she purred, smiling widely up at him. Cupid stepped out the door, and Disapparated.

He reappeared on a hill top in the gathering light of a summer morning. Yawning, Cupid made his way down the hill to a crookedly built house. He scanned the house’s yard, and the surrounding land. Soon, he spotted a young girl with long red hair walking back from a shed with a basket full of brown eggs.

“There’s Ginny,” he muttered, “so where’s Harry?”

He spotted the boy on the other side of the shed, spreading what looked like corn kernels over the ground.

“Aha,” Cupid said, smiling. “I’ve got you now.”

He pulled an arrow from his quiver and notched it to his bowstring. He drew it back, and let out his breath as he aimed. Looking down the barrel of his arrow with one eye closed, Cupid aimed right for Potter’s heart.

He let go of the arrow. It shot through the air, flying straight towards Harry Potter.

Cupid smirked as he watched Potter look up as the arrow whizzed towards him. He wouldn’t know what hit him.

Harry bent down to pick something off the ground, and the arrow flew straight past him to impale the side of the shed.

Cupid’s mouth dropped open to form a perfect ‘o’.

He let out a string of Grecian curse words that would make a sailor blush.

“How in the name of my dratted uncle Hades did you not get hit?!” Cupid shouted once he ran out of foul words.

At the bottom of the hill, Harry looked around with his brow furrowed.

Still swearing in Greek under his breath, Cupid drew another arrow. He raised his bow to shoot Potter, but the boy was walking away from the shed towards the house. Muttering a particularly foul word, Cupid readjusted his aim, and let the arrow fly. Potter opened the door to the house and stepped inside. The arrow struck the door as Harry closed it.

Cupid narrowed his eyes.

“All right,” he said. “If you want to play hard to get, fine. I’ll get you eventually. I always do.”

The phone in his pocket buzzed, and the ‘Don’t Let Me Be Lonely’ ringtone sounded. He took it out, and answered the phone with a curt, “Yes?”

“Hey, honey, could you pick up some cucumbers and pinot noir when you head home? My mother’s coming for dinner tonight.”

Cupid groaned. “Can my day get any worse?”

“Hey, did you see on the news that Taylor Swift and Hunter Hayes have started dating? Did you have anything to do with that?”

Cupid let out a chuckle. “Yes, that’s my work.”

“Oh, that’s just wonderful, sweetheart!” Valentina giggled. “The media loves it!”

“Well, remind me to throw a kink or two in their relationship by the end of the week. Taylor Swift can’t break her streak.”

“Yes, of course, but have you got Harry Potter yet?” Valentina asked anxiously.

Cupid spared the rickety house a glance. “I’m just waiting for the right moment,” he said, watching the arrow in the door of the house fade.

“Okay, just remember: Pinot noir not chardonnay. Last time you mixed it up Mother had a fit.”

“And I wouldn’t want to upset my dear mother-in-law,” Cupid grumbled. “What else did you need?”

“Just that and cucumbers. The grocery store has the rest.”

“Why can’t you get cucumbers there?” Cupid asked, as he started down the hill to the house.

“They were out, and grocery stores don’t sell alcohol in store in Maryland. I always said we should have decided to live in North Carolina instead. Much more pretty and they have wonderful wine selections in the grocery store.”

“You said you wanted to live near your mother; which I was strongly against,” Cupid said, “and can we discuss this later? I’m a little busy.”

“All right, darling, but if you’re late again Mother will have a cow, so don’t be late!”

“I was not late last time she came,” Cupid protested, stopping in front of a hedge some twenty feet from the house.

“But you were the time before. And the time before that. And before that.”

“All right, all right, you’ve made your point,” Cupid sighed. “I’ve got to go, okay? I’ll talk to you later.”

“’Kay, bye baby.”

“Bye, sweetheart,” Cupid said, and he hung up. He pulled a pair of binoculars from his pocket, and looked through them to the house. Running a finger over a dial on the top, he zoomed in, the magic binoculars seeing through the walls into a kitchen dining room area. He saw Ginny and Harry sitting at the scrubbed wooden table, eating eggs and toast and laughing. He saw an older, plump red haired woman standing by a stove, idly stirring a pot of oatmeal as she watched the two teenagers.

Cupid drew another arrow, notched it to his bow, and waited.

*~*~*~*~*~*


“I’m going outside,” Ginny said, setting her dishes in the kitchen sink. “I’m going to do my homework by the pond.”

“I'll go with you,” Harry said.

“Thanks,” Ginny said, smiling at him. “I could use the company.”

“Just make sure that you’re back in time for lunch,” Mrs. Weasley said.

Ginny and Harry agreed, and they headed off to gather their school supplies. Once they were out the door, Harry glanced over at her.

“Where are we going?” he asked. Ginny laughed.

“To the pond,” she said, pointing off to the west. She grabbed his hand, and pulled him away, in the direction she had pointed.

Harry let her tug him along, staring at their intertwined fingers. Her hand was smaller than his, and the skin was soft and warm. Her hand fit perfectly in his. A warm sensation went through him that had nothing to do with the sun beating down on their backs.

But then they were standing in front of a pond, she had dropped his hand, and the moment was over. Without her holding it, his hand felt oddly cold.

“Do you want to sit on the pier or on the bank?” Ginny asked him.

He glanced around, and said, “Let’s sit on the bank.”

She stepped to the edge of the pond and dropped her bag onto the ground, then sat down herself. Harry sat down beside her, and pulled his Transfiguration book from his bag.

Ginny bent her head over one of her textbooks, her red hair swinging forward to block her face. With the sun shining down on them, her hair gleamed as a river of copper and gold, and, if he looked closely enough, he could almost see a halo.

Suddenly, he couldn’t concentrate on his work. He’d look down at his book and moments later his gaze would wander away from Transfiguration to the girl at his side. She had tucked her hair behind her ear, showing her pretty face.

Ginny’s eyes flicked up to him.

“What?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“What?” Harry repeated, blinking at her stupidly. Ginny smiled.

“You’re staring at me,” she said, a hint of laughter entering her voice.

Harry’s cheeks warmed. “Sorry,” he muttered, dropping his gaze.

“Why?”

“Why what?” he asked, looking up.

“Why were you staring at me?” she asked, tilting her head.

“Oh, um,” Harry bit his lip as his cheeks turned a brighter red. “I was just… thinking.”

“About what?” she said, smiling.

“Uh, that it’s too nice a day to be doing school work,” he said.

Ginny laughed. “Well, how about we take a swim then?”

Harry’s heart did a double take. “Um, no, let’s go flying.”

“We went flying yesterday, Harry, come on, what’s wrong with swimming?”

Only that they’d be in swimming costumes. Ginny, with her long legs bare and maybe even her stomach too… his mind trailed off, thinking about Ginny in a bikini.

“Harry?”

“Huh?” Harry started, blinking rapidly to clear his vision of this new, most startling image of Ginny.

“Is there something wrong? You were staring off into space with a weird look on your face.”

Harry couldn’t help the blush that rose to his cheeks. “Sorry, what were we talking about?”

“Did you take a forgetfulness potion, Harry?” Ginny mock-scolded, putting her hands on her hips and forming such a Molly-like expression, that Harry felt a grin crack his face.

“No, I’m just being brain dead,” he said, smiling. Ginny’s chiding expression vanished with a look of mirth.

“Then let’s go swimming,” she said, standing. Harry scrambled to his feet as well.

“Um, maybe that’s not such a great idea,” he said.

Ginny clasped her hands just beneath her chin and stuck out her bottom lip. Her brown eyes sparkled, although with the gem of mischief in her eyes there was just a glimmer of something else. Hope, perhaps?

“Pretty please?” she said.

Her big brown eyes danced and she blinked rapidly, her mouth curved downward in a pout. Harry caved. “Fine,” he said, “but I’m not responsible for any anger we cause on your mother’s part.”

Ginny grinned, and raised her wand. “Accio one pair of Ron’s swimming trunks! Accio Ginny’s black swimsuit!”

“Gin, we’re not supposed to use magic outside school,” Harry protested, but he couldn’t help but scan the horizon for flying bathing suits.

“Nobody will be able to tell it it’s me or Mum or one of the twins doing magic,” Ginny said, shrugging one shoulder nonchalantly. Harry glanced around, and found the suits flying through the air towards them. Ginny stretched out her arms and snatched them out of the air.

“For you,” she said, handing him the pair of blaringly orange swimming trunks. She balled her suit up in her hand. “You stay here while I go change, okay?”

Harry nodded, and tried not to think what that would involve as Ginny walked past him and ducked behind a wide oak tree. He resolutely faced the other direction and recited the steps for making a forgetfulness potion in an attempt to not think about what was going on behind the tree. He jumped when Ginny came up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder. His eyebrows made an appearance at his past his hairline and his jaw dropped to say hello to the ground. His eyes fixed on the bathing suit. It was not a bikini, but it wasn’t a one-piece either. Her top had straps that went around her neck, but that was all that covered her shoulders. The top fit snugly, and the neckline dropped down into forbidden waters. The bottom hem rested just above her naval, showing off her firm stomach. The bottom part did not help either. It was tiny and snug and her legs seemed a mile long. Ginny brought him back to earth by touching a finger to his chin and closing his mouth.

“Are you okay, Harry?” she asked.

“Yes,” he said, and winced slightly at the squeak that came out instead of his voice. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Then you can go change,” Ginny said, a smirk curling her lips. Harry blinked for a moment, and stepped past Ginny. She sat down on the grass to wait for him. He glanced back at her, and she gave a tiny wave. Harry nodded, muttered, “Right,” and ducked behind the wide oak tree. As he did, he heard a faint whizzing noise and a slight but sudden breeze shot past him. This had happened quite a bit lately. Harry chose to ignore it, and hastily tugged off his tee shirt and- with a bright red flush going up his neck- his jeans and underpants, swapping them for the swimming trunks Ginny had summoned for him. They were just a little loose, but there was a drawstring in the front and he pulled it tight. He glanced down at his tee shirt lying innocently in the grass, then around the tree at Ginny. Harry balled up his clothes and walked out. If Ginny could be uncovered so much, so could he. Ginny glanced up at his approach, and she raised her eyebrows at him. He felt the flush creep back up his neck as her eyes drifted over his exposed chest.

“Not too bad,” she said, standing. Harry felt his heart skip a beat. “I was worried Ron’s trunks would fall off you.”

Harry’s heart sunk. He glanced down at his feet. Ginny walked over to him and pulled the bundle of clothes out of his hands. He looked up, and saw the warm smile lighting up her face.

“Just don’t tell Ron we stole his swimming trunks,” she said. Harry laughed. Ginny grabbed his arm, grinning, and tugged him towards the dock extending over the water.

“So what do we do first?” he asked as she stopped at the end. She turned to him, and he raised his eyebrows at the smirk curling his lips.


“We get in silly,” she said, reaching out and tapping a finger to his chest. Harry wondered if it would be more efficient for the flush that kept creeping up and down his neck to just stay put as it crept back up. Ginny grinned at him, and laid a hand on his shoulder.

“You first,” she whispered, stepping closer. Harry’s heart sped up. She slid her hand from his shoulder, to his chest, then she gave him great shove, and Harry toppled backward into the water with a yell of surprise. He resurfaced, spluttering, to see Ginny standing on the dock roaring with laughter.

“That’s it,” he growled, and he grabbed one of her ankles. Ginny’s laughter ceased, and Harry pulled hard. Ginny shrieked, half laughter and half shock, as she tumbled forward and hit the water with a splash.

Harry felt something pass through the water near him. He glanced around; Ginny had not come back up.

“Ginny?” he called. He glanced around, as dread and fear slipped through his chest. “Ginny, where are you?”

He felt hands on his back, and twisted around to see what it was. The hands grew into arms, which wrapped themselves around his middle. He felt the water ripple behind him as something popped up behind him.

“You’re just too easy,” Ginny whispered in his ear. Harry twisted around to see her chin on his shoulder and a smile curling her lips. His heart skipped another beat.

“You scared me for a minute there,” he said. Ginny let go of him, and drifted away. He immediately missed the warmth her touch had brought, and turned as best he could in the water to face her.

“That was my intention,” she said, still smiling. “Race to the other bank!”

Ginny was off and past the end of the dock before Harry had processed her words.

“Hey!” he shouted, and tore off after her, kicking and pushing his arms through the water towards her. Ginny stood up in the shallow water, and waded out until it was only knee-deep. Harry stood shakily in the water, and waded out to meet her.

“You cheated,” he said.

“In case you hadn’t noticed, Potter,” she said smugly, “I was not on your broom this time. You’re just jealous.”

Harry snorted. “Of what?”

Ginny shrugged. “Maybe of my speed.”

“So, you’re lighter. Smaller.”

“And I am faster than you. Admit it,” she said, smirking.

Harry scowled. Ginny gave him a dazzling smile, showing her bright white teeth. Why was it that all she had to do was give him a look and he did whatever it was she wanted? “Fine, you’re faster. But I’m stronger,” he said, jabbing a finger into her shoulder, avoiding the forbidden territory.

“Yeah, prove it,” Ginny said, crossing her arms over her chest.

Harry mocked a sigh. “Well, since you asked…” He lunged towards her, and wrapped his arms around her knees. She let out another shriek of surprise as he lifted her off her feet, and draped her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Harry ran back out into the water and tossed her in. Ginny hit the water laughing and Harry grinned at her. She stood up as best she could with only her head sticking out of the water, and raised both arms in the air with her thumbs’ up.

“Okay, you’re stronger, I’m faster,” she said, wading back out to him. “But if you can’t catch me, you can’t throw me in.”

“Wanna bet?” Harry said.

“Sure, five galleons says you can’t catch me,” she said, poking his chest.

“Done,” he said, grabbing her hand and pumping it once. Ginny grinned, and then she turned, and took off running, out of the water and down the bank. Harry tore off after her, a big grin on his face as he chased her. She glanced back at him, a wide smile brightening her face and her water drenched hair bouncing as she ran. The sun shone bright down on her, and Harry found himself slowing down, as the sun stained her red hair with streaks of gold, giving her an almost halo-like effect. Ginny stopped as well, standing twenty feet from him, a confused but amused smile curling her lips. She put her hands on her hips, her bikini bottom slipping down a half inch, and cocked her head at him.

“What are you standing there for?” she called.

Harry blinked. “Nothing,” he said innocently. Ginny shook her head at him, letting her eyes flutter shut. The second her lashes touched her cheeks, Harry shot forward, straight towards her, one arm stretched out to catch her. Ginny opened her eyes just in time and gasped in shock. She jumped away from him, sprinting forwards, as Harry fingered the hem of her bathing suit top.

“You’ll have to try harder than that!” Ginny called, laughing. Harry let out a growl and pushed himself harder, and chased her back into the shallows. Ginny laughed at him, turned back to stick her tongue out at him, and Harry lunged forward and wrapped his arms around her thin frame. She gasped; their momentum hurled them forward and they landed in the water, Harry pinning Ginny beneath him.

Ginny blinked up at him, a surprised look on her face. Harry blinked down at her, trying to figure out why his heart was suddenly going 180 miles per hour and why his stomach was doing the conga.

“You owe me five galleons,” he said. Ginny smiled.

“Here’s where you luck out,” she said, smirking. “I haven’t got five galleons.”

“You mean you lied to me?” Harry said, mockingly.

“Yep,” she said. “And you’re on top of me.”

Harry glanced down, at his body pressing hers into the water, and felt that flush start to creep up his neck. He looked Ginny right in the eye, and said, while doing his best to keep his voice from squeaking, “So I am.”

“Are you going to get off?” she asked.

Harry furrowed his brow, thinking it over. “Maybe. It depends.”

Ginny laughed. “On what?”

“If I can’t get five galleons,” he said, while his heart did a violent tattoo in his ears, “then I want different payment.”

Ginny’s grin softened, and her eyes sparkled up at him. “What kind?”

Harry took a deep breath and said, “Five kisses.”

Ginny’s eyebrows rose high on her forehead. “Oh?” she said softly, but Harry saw the pulse in her neck speed up.

“Five kisses,” he said. “And then we’re even.”

“You’re sure it has to be five?” she said. Harry nodded. “Well, if you insist.” Ginny put a hand on the back of his head, and pulled him down to meet her. He closed his eyes. Soft lips pressed to his cheek.

“One,” she whispered in his ear. She kissed his other cheek. “Two.” Harry left his eyes shut tight. Her lips touched the tip of his nose. “Three.” She gently pressed her lips to the space between his eyebrows. “Four.” Her breath fell on his face, and her soft mouth touched his ever so briefly, ever so softly, ever so intoxicatingly. But all too soon, they were gone. “Five,” she said softly, and Harry picked up the breathless note in her voice. He opened his eyes.

“Are you going to get off me now?” she said.

“Do I have to?”

Ginny grinned up at him. “I’m afraid so. You’re squishing me.”

Harry reluctantly stood up, and pulled her to her feet. Ginny tapped the end of his nose gently.

“That stays here, right?” she said.

“If you want it to,” he said. Ginny smiled.

A large drop of water collided with the top of his head. He looked up, and squinted as another drop of water splashed onto his face. During the five kisses, they had not noticed the rain clouds brewing above them. The newfound rain came down on them thick and fast, drenching them even further than the pond had done. Harry shook his head like a dog, splattering Ginny with water. She gasped, holding her hands in front of her face to deflect the droplets.

“Harry!” she said scoldingly, but her tone was light and full of laughter. Ginny gently pushed his shoulder, but she was smiling.

“Sorry,” he said. He couldn’t help the grin stretching his face. “Besides, you’re already wet.”

Ginny scowled at him, but her eyes still sparkled with laughter. “Well, since you’re still wet,” she said, and she shook her own head, and her long hair flew out, smacking him in the chest. Harry laughed and caught her arms as the rain came down on them.

She looked up at him, then her arms were around his neck, her lips were pressed against his again, and Harry lifted her off her feet as the kiss deadened his brain.

She drew back, still in his arms.

“Can we go over five?” she murmured.

“You know we will,” he said, and kissed her again.

The rain kept coming down. Harry and Ginny kept kissing. Back at the house, Molly looked out the window worriedly, wondering where her daughter and almost son had gone. On the hill overlooking the couple, Cupid’s bottom jaw currently rested in the wet grass and his bow sat in his hands with the arrow drooping down towards the ground. He hadn’t even pricked Potter with an arrow.
Reviews 18
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear