Search:

SIYE Time:19:33 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Do Over
By Jeograph

- Text Size +

Category: Time-Turner Challenge (2014-2), Buried Gems, Time Turner Challenge (2014-2)
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Oliver Wood, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 34
Summary: Harry plods toward his death, toward the Dark Lord to give himself up, to make the greatest sacrifice of his life. Literally, his life. He goes to meet Death... But Death finds him first, and wants to make a deal. The question is Harry, do you think you can make things better? If you could make it all different. Would it all be better?
Hitcount: Story Total: 15149; Chapter Total: 2999





Author's Notes:
This story came to me during a writer's block regarding other projects, when I read about the Time Turner challenge. It dropped into my head nearly complete and begged me to write it down. I hope you will enjoy my humble efforts. Many thanks to my quick Beta, SeekersDestiny for his fast work.

Update: This chapter has now been re-worked with a new opening, rather than the extended quote from DH. Also it has been re-edited by the wonderful Arnel, who is graciously agreed to Beta for me. (Thanks so much Arnel!) I hope you enjoy it!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter One
May 2, 1998

"T hey always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."
― Andy Warhol.


Harry plodded on methodically. He knew what he must do at last. He knew it must be done. How he felt about it did not matter.

He regretted for a moment that he had passed Ginny without a word. He should have stopped... he should have said... what? That he loved her? As true as that was, what good would saying so be now, now that he was going to his death? She would only have tried top stop him, and he knew she alone might have been able to. Damn, he thought. It was better he had not stopped, better she did not even know he was there.

He approached the woods and he could sense the Dementors there, the air was chill and he was certain he did not have the strength for a Patronus. He took a deep breath; the smell of the grass, the leaves, the distant scent of Ginny, it was all so precious now so close to the end. It would soon be finished.

Thoughts of his best moments filled his mind, his friends' smiles, Ginny's kisses, flying, catching the Snitch in a fast paced game of Quidditch...

The Snitch... he had nearly forgotten the Snitch.

He reached for the pouch at his neck and carefully fished out the golden ball with trembling fingers. He couldn't stop his trembling.

The silver wings extended and began to flutter, he could see the small engraving there.

I open at the close.

How could he have forgotten Dumbledore's final gift? He had reached the end of his journey, this was the close. He pulled the Snitch close and pressed his lips to the cool metal. "I am about to die," he whispered.

The Snitch opened and inside was the stone from Marvolo Gaunt's ring, the Resurrection Stone. But why?

He raised Draco's wand and lit the tip to see more clearly. The stone was cracked, a jagged line running right along the center. The triangle and the circle were still visible, the sign of the Hallows. Harry dropped the stone into his palm and released the Snitch, which hung in the air for a moment before flitting away into the forest.

With the stone, he could bring back those who meant the most to him, he parents, Sirius, Remus... his family.

What would it matter now? it would not be bringing them back, it would be them coming for him, coming to see him to his end so that he could finally join them.

He closed his eyes and turned the stone three times in his hand. He would get to see them, and then he would be able to face Voldemort. He would die, and then he would be able to join them.

Harry's trembling stopped, the chill of the Dementors ceased and the smell of the grass disappeared. All about him was an eerie stillness.

He opened his eyes and looked around. It was, in fact, a perfect stillness, as though time itself had stopped. A few paces before him a single leaf, which should have been fluttering to the ground, was suspended, still, in mid-air. Harry moved the few paces and reached out toward the suspended leaf.

"Curious, isn't it?" came a smooth deep disembodied voice.

Startled, Harry pulled back his out stretched hand and spinning around, wand raised, shouted "Who's there?"

"Oh, you won't be needing that, my boy," the voiced said with a chuckle. "Who would you wish me to be?"

Harry lowered Draco's wand. "I don't understand."

"I suppose you don't. No matter," the voice responded. "Suffice to say, you were on your way to meet me, but, I wanted to meet you first."

Realization dawned on Harry with sudden clarity. "Death?" he asked.

"At your service," the voice stated. In front of Harry a darkness seemed to gather, in wisps spiraling toward a center and in a moment a hooded figure stood in the spot. Before Harry could react, the figure reached up and pushed back its hood revealing, to Harry's surprise, the handsome face of a dark haired young man.

"I dare say, you are not exactly as I'd have expected," Harry said. "Come to collect me then?"

"Well, no actually," Death said, his voice now softened to fit his visage. "I have come to strike a bargain." There was a pause. "You see, Harry, you have some objects that belong to me, and I would rather like them back."

Harry thought for a moment. "The Hallows?" he asked. Death nodded. "But, I only have two of them," he said, as he opened his palm and looked at the cracked stone in his hand.

"Ah... yes, well, you have two of them with you," Death replied. "But, you are the first mortal, since the day I foolishly bestowed these artifacts upon the Peverell brothers, to be the rightful master of all three."

"How can that be?" Harry protested. "I have never touched the Elder Wand."

"Touched it, no," Death pressed forward, "But you are nevertheless it's true master." There was a pause as Death seemed to be waiting for Harry to understand. Harry just shook his head. "Think, Harry," Death continued. "The wand's allegiance always goes to he who defeats its present master."

"But..." Harry groped for an explanation. "Dumbledore was the Elder Wand's master, and he was killed by Snape."

"Ah, yes, now you begin to understand," Death said. "Killed by Snape, but never defeated... You were there, Harry, you know the answer."

Harry's eyes widened as realization struck him. "It was Draco, Draco defeated Dumbledore on the Astronomy tower," he blurted out.

"Therefore?" Death encouraged.

It suddenly all made sense. "Therefore," Harry reasoned aloud, "the wand's allegiance passed to Draco, and when I defeated Draco and took his wand," Harry held up his hand showing Draco's wand. "The Elder Wand's allegiance came to me."

"Bravo, Harry," Death clapped his hands congenially. "And so, you are the master of all three of the Deathly Hallows. Artifacts of mine which I would very much like returned."

Harry's mind was racing. Just a minute ago he was ready to face Voldemort, ready to sacrifice himself so that the Dark Lord could be defeated. Now he was at the edge of the Forbidden Forest, casually conversing with Death who... "You said you were here to strike a bargain?" Harry asked.

"So I did," Death replied.

"Can you kill Voldemort for me?" Harry asked hopefully.

"Alas, that I cannot do. That is a job which the fates have assigned to you, Harry. It is not in my nature to determine the hour of a mortal's demise. I merely collect them upon that hour. To do otherwise is a lesson I have learned with grave difficulty, carries profound consequences."

"Then what can you possibly offer that would entice me to strike a deal?" Harry asked.

"If defeating Voldemort is your ultimate goal. You have in your possession all the knowledge you could possibly require to do so. What you lack, at this late hour, is time to do so on your own terms." Death paused, casually pulling his hood forward to obscure his features. "What I offer you, in return for the Hallows, is a one time use of this." Death raised his hand. As he did so, all of the flesh disintegrated away. From his decrepit boney fingers, suspended on a shimmering golden chain, hung a beautiful pocket watch.

"A watch?" Harry questioned.

"More than a watch," Death said ominously, his voice returned to the low, slithering smooth tones which Harry had first heard. "To me this device measures the beats of every mortal heart, from first to last. To you, it can act as the most powerful of Time-Turners, delivering you to the very moment of any of your individual beats."

"So, I could go back in time," Harry began, "with all the knowledge and memories of this very moment, to some earlier time?"

"That is my offer," Death confirmed.

"But, Hermione says there can be terrible consequences for any wizard that meddles with time."

"And so there can," Death acknowledged.

"I am guessing you will not tell me what those consequences may be," Harry asked.

"I cannot say what has not yet happened," Death said with a chuckle. "For better or for worse is yet to be determined. The question is, do you think you could make things better?"

Harry tried to imagine a plan of action, but the possibilities overwhelmed him. On impulse, following his gut alone, he reached out and grasped Death's watch. "You have a deal," he said.

At once Harry found himself spinning. He closed his eyes against the violent blur that engulfed him, and he found his stomach rising up toward his throat. Before he passed out, he thought he could hear Death's self satisfied chuckle.

And then, nothing.

____________________________ ___________
Please review - Thanks

NEXT

Chapter Two
May 2, 1998, Again

Reviews 34
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear