Search:

SIYE Time:12:26 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Oceans Apart
By Catwoman

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-DH/AB
Characters:All
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance, Tragedy
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Sexual Situations, Rape, Sexual Situations
Rating: R
Reviews: 80
Summary: The war is over, Harry and Ginny are back together but does it mean end of problems for Harry and Ginny?
Hitcount: Story Total: 53043; Chapter Total: 3236





Author's Notes:
There are some changes in some of the chapters I have made this morning. Please read. Thank You for your time and patience. :-)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Oceans Apart Chapter Nine: Promises Broken

PROMISES BROKEN

The Brown House,
Aspen, Colorado,
United States.


Jennifer took her purse and then climbed down the stairs. Alfred was waiting for her at the door with her cloak in his hand. He helped Jennifer into her cloak and asked, “How will you be going to the school Mistress?”

“I will take the Audi with me. It’s better if I drive rather than apparate and scare off the muggles. But before I leave, I need to brief you on some things,”said Jennifer.

“What is it Mistress?” asked Alfred raising his eyes a little.

“I just got off phone with Ted. He has found himself on a rough ground and I need to go to London as soon as possible to clear the situation. I will be gone for sometime and I do not want to stay away from the kids for so long. So I’ve decided that all of us will be going. I need you to book a flight for all of us in the coming week. And let me know the date and time. And also do all the necessary packing. Let Mrs.Hudson know of the recent developments.”

“Alright Mistress. Anything else?” asked Alfred

“No that’s all Alfred.”

Jennifer took the car keys and went to the garage to get the car. As she got into the car her mind drifted to the conversation with Ted. Deep down she knew she was being impulsive. She knew that going to London might invite many more dangerous situations. But taking care of Ted’s case was equally important. By making such a rash decision she was breaking the promise she had made to herself four years ago, after Samar’s death. So much had happened since she came to America. Her life had changed dramatically. When she had first come here ten years ago she had never thought that one day she would be one of the richest and powerful people in the world. Everything about her had changed. She could remember every important moment of her new life vividly, right from the day she had met Samar to the day she had last seen him…

***

She and Samar had started dating towards the end of their final year. And it was simply blissful for her. She never thought she could be happy in a foreign land, with strangers. She evolved. She began loving herself and Samar. She began a new life here. A new life with four great friends anyone could ask for and a best friend who also turned out to be her love of this new life. They had started with Auror training together and continued to see each other. Even after celebrating their first anniversary there was a boundary between them. They had not yet slept with each other. Jennifer just found it hard to cross that line for many reasons one of which was her fear of being with someone. She felt a mixture of feelings like anxiety, fear and anticipation. She could vividly remember the conversation she had had with Penny about this situation.

#####

“So how was your date?” asked Penny from the floo.

“We just had sushi for dinner and then tomorrow Samar is going to take me dancing to some club in the town,” said Jennifer.

“Wow. So far so good then eh?”

“Uh-huh”

“What’s wrong?”

Jennifer spoke after a long moment. “Lately we just have almost crossed the line in getting physical. But haven’t been able to do it. Whenever we kiss it just evolves into a full on snogging session and things get really heated. But I always put a stop to it. We have even reached second base. But not, you know” said Jennifer sheepishly.

“Relax Jen. It will happen when it has to happen. You see him every day at the Auror Training. It’s not like that time doesn’t permit you. And also in your condition your subconscious is not just ready to take such a big step. Even if technically you are not a virgin this is like giving your virginity to Samar. So just take your time. Even if Samar is suffering right now,” said Penny and winked,” You guys have been dating for a year now. I have talked to some of the women who have gone through the same thing as you have. It’s normal to be nervous. You have known Samar for two years now. Do you really think he would hurt you?”

“No.”

“Then Relax. From what I have heard from his past lovers he was always considerate of what they wanted from him. If you want him to go slow then tell him. He will listen to you,” said Penny.

“Okay,” said Jennifer.

“Samar has gone a year without having sex Jennifer. He has never been on a drought this long. And he is doing it because he loves you. And you love him even if you haven’t told him. It’s very obvious. He has told you he loves you. So I think before anything happens you need to tell him about your feelings first.”

***

“You are awfully quiet today,” said Samar looking at Jennifer with a concerned expression.

“Am I usually chatty?” asked Jennifer raising her eyebrows.

“Very,” said Samar.

Jennifer sighed and said,”I am thinking when I will be able to put you out of your misery.”

“I would be lying if I said that the waiting is not miserable,” said Samar with a smirk,”There is only so many cold showers a bloke could have.”

“Samar please, be serious for once,” said Jennifer morosely.

Samar took her hand in his and said,”Jen, I love you. There is a reason why you are not able to take that step. It will happen when it has to happen. And I promise you when that time comes I will make it worthwhile. And I am sure it will be worth the long wait. For now, just have dinner. You have barely touched your chicken.”

Jennifer just looked at him and spoke softly,”I love you.”

Samar suddenly froze, his fork stopped mid air. He blinked several times and said,”What did you just say?”

“I love you.”

“You just made my life,” said Samar, which made Jennifer laugh.

***

The day had come on a surprise weekend holiday. Samar and Jennifer drove to his farm house in Aspen and she had spent the night. For Jennifer it was one of the most surreal experiences. It was gentle, passionate, romantic and filled with love. In that moment she realized that she trusted him more than anyone…

***

When she had graduated from Auror Academy she had decided to go to England immediately. She was the top of her class. She already had two jobs lined up, one in the Auror Department and one as an Infiltrator. The problem was she didn’t have much money on her to go to England. Samar had tried to offer her money but she refused it. Taking up on the job offers meant prolonging her plans for a year or two because as a newcomer she won’t get leave. Seeing no other choice she had to take up the job. She joined the American Ministry of Magic as the new Infiltrator since this was the job that excited her the most. Samar and Ted had joined the Auror office and Penny started work in St. Francis Hospital. She continued dating Samar. At this time Samar had started proposing marriage to her in embarrassing ways. For reasons she couldn’t understand then, she always turned him down. She explained him, that finding her lost family was her priority after her job. Even if she loved Samar and wanted to marry him then and there, there was always something that held her back. But Samar was completely understanding about all her issues. He would go back to normal as if nothing had happened. And this continued to the day she had finally said yes.

Due to some or the other reason she had to postpone her trip every year. After completing a year in her new job she was given a new assignment on muggle baiting and women and child trafficking. She couldn’t get away from this case even if she had wanted to. When she had read the reports of this case she realized how close she had come to facing the fate of these thousands of women and children. She had, once again decided to put her plans on hold to do her foremost duty. Serve the civilian population and keep them safe from dangers. She was sent to Afghanistan as a spy in the lead gang who operated these crimes. After two years of her hard work they had finally caught the whole gang. The court proceedings started in full fledge which was lead by lead Aurors in the investigation, Samar and Ted. In this course of time Jennifer fell pregnant. It was simply the most terrifying experience of her life here…

***

They were having dinner at his house, which he had recently bought. The Brown House. She was washing the dishes after dinner when she spoke suddenly,” Samar, I am pregnant.”

There was a sound of something crashing. She turned around and saw that the glass Samar was drying off with the dish towel now laid on the floor shattered into pieces. His mouth was hanging open and he was looking at her. Several minutes passed by as they stared at each other. Finally it was Samar who broke the silence.

“Don’t worry hon. It’s going to be okay. I am here to support you in whatever decision you take.”

Having said that, he moved forward and took her in his arms.

“Do you want to keep the baby?” asked Samar in a calm voice.

“Do you want me to keep the baby?,” spoke Jennifer softly as she buried her head in his neck.

“Yes. I want the baby. But it’s your choice to decide what’s best for you. If you decide to keep this baby, then you are gonna have to postpone your plan once again. Will you be able to do that?” asked Samar while nuzzling her nose.

It didn’t even take a second to say yes. “This baby is important to me more than anyone Samar. I love our baby. I am sure one day I will get a chance to go to London and find my family. For now I just wanna concentrate on my new family,” said Jennifer with tears of joy in her eyes.

“You are one amazing woman Jen. I am in awe of you. Marry me?”

Jennifer’s lips slowly curved into a smile.

***

To people who didn’t know them well thought that they had gotten married because Jennifer was pregnant. Jennifer didn’t deny it. The pregnancy was part of the reason why she had finally said yes to Samar’s proposal. During the beginning of their relationship Jennifer had envisioned herself of becoming Samar’s wife some day. She loved him and he was the reason why she was alive. If it hadn’t been for him, she would have lost herself all those years ago. She did want to marry him. But there was always something holding her back. She couldn’t put her finger on it. Penny explained to her that it was because she wasn’t ready.She thought it was part of the reason. She was obsessed with finding more about herself. She could have done something to find her family without having to leave America. But her doctor said that though she might find them but there was a chance that she will never remember them if she heard names. In order to get her memories back, they had to be triggered.

When Samar got badly injured in a mission she was frightened. She had never felt so scared since coming to America. When he awake and was talking to her, she realized that how close she had come to lose the one good thing in her life. She was putting a strain in their relationship because of her obsession. Enough is enough thought Jennifer. I am going to say yes to him next time he proposes to me.

They had got married in a private ceremony in a chapel with Penny as her bridesmaid and Ted as Samar’s best man. After that they spent a week in Vermont as a small honeymoon. Samar brought Jennifer to his family mansion and introduced her to Alfred Borden, who was Samar’s godfather but insisted on calling them Master and Mistress. Together both he and Samar made her feel home at this new place and very soon Alfred took the place of a father figure of her life.

***

Everything was great. Her stomach was growing slowly. Samar loved talking to the baby. Every night he would put his hand on her bulge and talk to their baby for hours about everything. He talked about his childhood, his life, his days in Princeton and Quidditch. Everything was pure, utter bliss. She was married to the man she loved and in seven months she was going to have his baby. There was only one thing that was missing in her life…

***

“I just got an owl. Michael has escaped from Blackgate prison,” said Samar morosely.

“What?” yelled Jennifer.

“That’s not all. The guard says that he had been muttering about going to London in his sleep in the last few days. That’s probably where he is right now. I know it’s just a hunch but Greg says since you can’t travel I will have to go to London. England Ministry has said they need our help.”

“Oh Merlin. Can you take me up to the bedroom? I think I need to lay down because I am feeling dizzy all of a sudden,” said Jennifer fanning herself.

Samar took her in his arms, lifted her and took her to their bedroom. He called for Alfred to get some water and pepper-up potion. Once she calmed down she spoke softly,”So I guess you are going to London tomorrow?”

“I don’t want to go. I am telling Greg to send someone else in my place with Ted. I can’t leave you like this.”

“Don’t be stupid Samar. You need to go with Ted. You and him lead this case. If I was not pregnant I would have come too. After All, it was me who collected all the evidence and me who was the primary witness. But I can’t. So you have to go. It’s your job Samar.”

“Fuck the job Jennifer. My mind won’t be in my work. I ‘ll be constantly worried about you. Thinking about you, the baby. With Michael out there you are not safe.”

“I am an Infiltrator Samar and I can take care of myself very well,” said Jennifer angrily her voice slightly raised.

“That’s not what I meant Jen. The situation is completely different because you are carrying our child. You can’t be reckless now. So please drop the subject and stop trying to convince me. I am not leaving you alone. I am sending Greg an owl saying to find someone else.”

“Honey listen to me,” she put her arms around Samar and said,”Samar you need to go to London. I would have if not for my condition. You have to go in my place. You need to present the evidence and catch Michael as soon as possible. And after all this come back home to us. Okay?Please Samar do this for the baby? Our child will never be safe as long as Michael is out there. Please Samar. Do this for Sameer?”

Samar sighed and said,”Alright. You are right. Our child will not be safe as long as he is out there in open,” and then Samar noticed something and asked,”You are okay with naming the baby Sameer if it is a boy?You were a bit hesitant before this.”

“Yaa. It is a beautiful name. Also we can call him Sam for short. But if it turns out to be a girl, I am going to name it,” said Jennifer firmly.

Samar raised his eyes smilingly and asked,”What name do you have in mind for a girl?”

“Emma.”

“That ’s beautiful. So it’s decided then. If it’s a boy Samar and if it’s a girl then Emma,” said Samar.

Jennifer nodded and then hugged Samar tightly. She didn’t want him to see tears in her eyes. She needed to stay strong for him. She really wanted him to stay by her side. Until the end of this pregnancy. She wanted him to stay with her during the delivery. But given the circumstances she doubted that he would be home in time. She tried not to think about what else could happen to him on this mission. She knew his life was at stake he may not come home…

Samar stroked her back in a soothing way and asked,”You know Jen? There is an advantage of me going to London.”

“What is that?” she asked.

“I can find out about your family.”

Jennifer looked up at him and asked trying hard to hide her enthusiasm,”Really? You would do that for me?”

Samar chuckled at her barely hidden enthusiasm at this idea and said,”You know the doctor said that it would be of no use if we obtained information on your family. If they are still alive and meet them it will be like meeting new strangers since you will know already how they and what their names are. For the memories to be triggered you need to meet them without being aware of how they are or what their names are. So if I find them and arrange a meeting then you will be able to see them and not worry about your memories not getting triggered. How does that sound?”

In response Jennifer threw her hands around him and sighed in relief. No one except him knew how much it meant to her to find her family, to find herself. It was the best thing he could do for her. He knew how happy she would be if they found her real family. And to Samar, Jennifer’s happiness was everything for him.

That night they made love slowly yet passionate. To Jennifer it felt like Samar was memorizing every contour of her body, like it was going to be the last he would see her. In the morning Samar left for London. ***

“Hey honey, how’s it going?” asked Samar excitedly.

Samar had bought her mobile phone, a muggle device through which they could stay in touch and talk daily without the disturbances, a long distant floo network has.

“The constant feeling of nausea is gone replaced by constant hunger and weird cravings,” replied Jennifer tiredly.

“That’s good. Anyway, I called you because there is good news and bad news.”

“What’s the bad news?” asked Jennifer warily.

“We are nowhere near solving the case. Even with your evidence. We have a hunch. Harry suggested. We’ll look into it tomorrow. But frankly I am not sure if it will give us a breakthrough.”

“I’ll contact Ryan and get more details. Now what’s the good news?”

“I found them,”spoke Samar softly.

“What?” asked Jennifer, her heart suddenly beating wildly.

Samar laughed and said,”I found your family Jen. You have a big family. It fits. All of them are red-heads like you.”

“Did you tell them about me?How did they react?”

“Well no. I didn’t. I thought it would be a huge shock to them and they might find it unbelievable,” said Samar.

“What do you mean?”

“They are under the impression that you are dead,” said Samar

“What? Why would they think that?” yelled Jennifer.

“Okay Jennifer relax. Calm down, take a deep breath. You need to sit down for what I am about to tell you. Okay? Are you sitting down Jen?”

Jennifer sat down on her bed and said,”Yes I am sitting down.”

“Okay. The person who err- who did ‘that’ to you six years ago was a Death Eater, a supporter of Voldemort. He is in prison now for murdering you. When I read the transcripts of the hearing and also your autopsy report it seemed to me that the convict might have produced a fake body in your place. Because there are some anomalies in your supposed postmortem report and your bio-data. I think the original plan was to murder you but when you escaped they faked your death. Someone very powerful is involved here Jen. Setting up a meeting between you and your is going to be very difficult because first I will have to prove that you are alive. But the good thing is your family is one of the famous wizarding families. They have connections in the Ministry-”

“No Samar don’t tell me the details. You have done more than enough darling. Just finish this case and come back here. Don’t tell them anything for now. We’ll think of something. Don’t worry. Okay?”

“Okay,” He said solemnly. She heard a buzzing sound in the background.

“Baby I gotta go. My colleagues have come over to discuss the case. I’ll inform you of any developments,” he paused and then said,”I haven’t told Ted about finding your family and for now let’s just keep it that way because I have to be cautious. One of your brothers is one of my colleagues now. Bye for now baby. I love you.”

“I love you too.” And then she heard the line disconnect with a click

***

That phone call was the last phone call she ever got from Samar. He disappeared the next day. Two days later, the England Ministry got a tip that Samar was being held captive by Michael Lansky in a disused muggle factory in South of England. But by the time the Aurors reached the place to rescue, it was already too late. Samar was in the warehouse of the factory writhing in pain. Michael Lansky was fleeing from the spot but got caught by some Aurors. By the time they could take Samar to St.Mungo for treating his injury he was already dead. His body was transported back to America for cremation under a tree near his family house. Samar had left everything he owned to Jennifer including his family trust and family home and estates. His wealth was distributed amongst Ted, Penny, Alfred and Jennifer. He had already set up a trust fund for his unborn baby. Jennifer had forbidden any of his colleagues to come to America and pay their respects to the late brave Auror. She was devastated. She needed time. Alone. To think. Think about the past she was leaving behind without knowing any of it. Think about the daunting future where she was all alone in raising her child. Samar’s baby.

It was my fault. I never should have let him go. I knew that if he went to London he would help me to find my family. I was selfish and I lost the only good thing in my life. He is gone and he is never coming back and it’s my fault. None of this would have happened if I wasn’t so obsessed. It was my obsession that killed him. I can’t kill my baby too. He is the only one left for me. No Samar I WILL take care of your baby. I don’t care who is out there waiting for me. I don’t want to lose him too. I WILL not go back to london to my family and put my son in danger of whatever is waiting for me, she thought

***

“You are not alone Mistress,” declared Alfred as he brought a packed lunch for her in a basket. She was sitting under a tree in the lakeside. She was thinking about how she was gonna raise her child all alone. How am I going to do this? Will it be a boy or a girl? Who would the baby resemble? What if the baby doesn’t like me? What if the baby asks about Samar? What if I am not a fit mother for her? These thoughts constantly ran in her mind and haunted her dreams. She dreamed of dropping the baby every time she lifted it. She was mourning. She missed Samar terribly. She looked up and saw Alfred right in front of her. He sat down beside her and started unpacking his basket. He had made a simple lunch of courgette stew which she was currently craving and ham and cheese sandwich. He watched her silently as she finished her lunch and then handed her a glass of pumpkin juice.

“You know Samar’s parents, Ishaan and Amelia had tried for years for Samar. After Samar was born I saw them happier than I had ever seen them. Samar was their first child and the apple of his mother’s eyes. They also wanted to girl but were never able to. They accepted it. I had known Amelia since she was a baby. And of course when you know someone for so long you can’t help but love them and care for them. She came from a pureblood family who supported Lord Voldemort’s views of muggleborns. She was disowned by her family when she married Ishaan since it was well-known that the Anand family did not share the same ideologies as Amelia’s families. I couldn’t live in that house without her. She was like the daughter I never had,” said Alfred shakily and sniffed,” I came here. I began serving Anand family and I loved them. I got the respect that I had never had. I could see why she was so much in love with him. I had never seen her happier than she had been when Samar was born. He was like my grandson. I felt honoured when they asked me to be his godfather. When they took in Penny, it was like their family was complete. When Amelia died, Samar was so sad. He cried to sleep for weeks. Ishan couldn’t live without her for long. I was left to care for two kids. I was scared too. It’s not exactly the same. But I had to do it. Because it was the right thing to do. It’s daunting, yes. But it’s worth every daunting thought. I can’t explain it to you as precisely as a woman would. But the one thing that I want to tell you is you will never love anyone more than your baby. You are here now to be the memories of your baby” and saying that he hugged Jennifer tightly and she broke down. “I’ve never seen Samar as happy as he was with you. I have loved you like my granddaughter the minute you came here, in Samar’s life. And you will not be alone ever.”

***

“Jen I know this might be difficult for you but I need to ask you something?”asked Ted warily.

“What?” replied Jennifer.

“Samar had talked about trying to dig up your past in London you know. He never told me if he had found anyone. He would have told me if something like had happened. But I am just curious. Did he find anything about your past?”

Jennifer had frozen on hearing his question. They were setting the table for dinner at her house. With great difficulty she put the plate on the table with her shaking hands and answered with as much calmness as she could muster at that moment,”He did find my family,” Jennifer took a deep breath and continued,” He said they are dead. They died during Voldemort’s reign. I don’t know the exact details about the members since it was difficult for me-” she stopped, pretending to choke up.

“No, no Jen I understand,” Ted said and hugged her tightly,”Look I understand if you don’t want to talk about it. I am sorry. Okay?”

“Yaa it’s okay. It’s just difficult with everything else that’s been going on.” said Jennifer

“I understand” said Ted and continued,”So tell me about the baby?”

Jennifer sighed in relief softly at the abrupt change of subject

***

Only Ted, Penny and head Auror Greg were one of the very few people who knew about Jennifer’s pregnancy. She still had three months to go. Jennifer decided to concentrate on her pregnancy. She herself began to shop for groceries, dairies to keep up her health. She started decorating the nursery herself. She painted it in a golden shade of yellow. Then drew little golden snitches all over the wall and a quidditch pitch on the ceiling. She covered the wall with book case, trunk that contained his toy broomstick and a wardrobe containing his clothes and and soft toys the baby would need. When she was finished to admire the beauty of the room she wondered if she had done it so the baby would grow up to be just like Samar. Jennifer had decided to shut herself from the world. She stopped buying newspapers and didn’t listen to the radio. Her house, the house that Samar had bought for her was her nest, her womb.

The sadness and grief was still there. But her baby was able to distract her from the constant ache in her heart that had been there ever since Samar died. She was able to move on from the past she didn’t remember, because of the baby. The fierce love had enabled her to start anew and forget the pain.

Penny was going to be her mediwitch. Jennifer went for regular check-ups and watched the progress of her baby.

“Would you look to know the sex of the baby Jen?”

“Yes please, if it is possible,” answered Jennifer earnestly.

“Okay. Then just lay down and try to relax. This will take only a few minutes,” answered the healer.

A few minutes later a blurred black and white motion picture appeared on the screen of the sonogram. There was a throbbing type movement there. Penny pointed with her finger to the belly of the foetus and said,”There just below the region, we can see it. It’s a boy Jennifer, congratulation!”

Jennifer couldn’t speak. She was on cloud nine after so long. This little boy who was sleeping in her now was going to be her world. She couldn’t wait for him to be here. He was Sammer. Her Sameer…

***

She had always been active, and she had thought she would loathe getting heavy and awkward but somehow she did not mind it. There was no reason to hurry anymore. The days became long and dreamy and peaceful. Some diurnal clock within her had slowed it’s tempo. It was as though she was reserving her energy, pouring it into the other body living inside her.

One morning Penny examined her and said,”Another two weeks, Jennifer.”

It was so close now. Jennifer had thought she might be afraid. She had heard all the old wives’ tales of the pain, the accidents, the malformed babies, but she felt no fear, only a longing to see her child, an impatience to get this birth over with so she could hold him in her arms.

Ted and Penny had got married three months before Samar died. They came over every night to her house , bringing with them The Little Engine That Could, Little Red Hen, Pat the Bunny, and a dozen little doctor Seuss books.

“I heard you are likely to be transferred to London. Atleast you are in the list. How do you feel about that?” asked Jennifer.

“I can’t leave you like this Jennifer. I mean you are two weeks away from your due date. I don’t know when they are going to send any of us to London. What’s the use of all this anyway? I thought we were short on staff?” exclaimed Ted

“The Auror Department has always been short on staff. It is not a new thing. What we need is a spy.” said Jennifer.

“According to Hammer, there is someone in the England Ministry, in the highest levels of government, who helped Michael escape from the Blackgate Prison. Michael is not answering anything. We can’t charge him to Veritaserum. The criterias are not fitting. Michael is also an accomplished Occlumens. We tried anyway. But we couldn’t find anything conclusive. There is a chance that whoever was helping him may have not met him or revealed himself to him.But Hammer is under impression that Michael was just a pawn. There is someone else more dangerous who wants to be the king,” explained Ted.

“Yes. And that’s why they want a spy. Michael knew people. He must have had friends somewhere. Who were powerful enough to help him escape Blackgate and then send him to England. He has friends in both places . They wouldn’t have had any authorization to send someone to England. Least of all a person with criminal record. Securities are tight since the end of Voldemort’s reign. It is impossible for a criminal to go overseas without having connections. One thing left to do is catch those people inside the system. We can’t just send anyone there Ted. It has to be one of the best. In the meantime I will be keeping an eye on people working here. Hammer trusts me. He has made me in second in command of this operation. Brand is leading this investigation and he will be coming with you if you agree to this. As soon as I am fit, I will leave the Infiltrator department and join the Ministry as a trainee whilst keeping track of people who might have helped Michael escape. Please Ted? I don’t trust anyone else.” said Jennifer pleadingly.

Ted sighed and said,” You didn't invite me here solely to have dinner, did you?”

“No.” said Jennifer shaking her head.

“I’ll think about it.”

After much contemplation Ted agreed to work as a spy in England Ministry and started working three months later.

***

The first pains came at three in the morning of 31st July. They were so sharp that Jennifer was left breathless. A few moments later they were repeated and Jennifer thought exultantly, Its happening!

She began to count the time between the pains, and when they were ten minutes apart she called out to Alfred and a few minutes later she was standing in the lobby of the local hospital where her mediwitch Penny greeted her and took her to her room. When Penny had finished examining her , she said reassuringly,”Well, this is going to be an easy delivery, Jen. Just relax and we will let nature take it’s course.”

Alfred was kept waiting outside her room and he called Mrs.Hudson Ted to hospital. It was not easy but neither was it unbearable. Jennifer could stand the pain because out of it something wonderful was happening. She was in labour for eight hours, when her body was wracked and contorted with spasms and she thought that it was never going to stop, she felt a quick easing and then a rushing emptiness, and a sudden blessed peace.

She heard a thin squeal and Penny was holding up her baby, saying”Would you like to take a look at your son, Jennifer?”

Jennifer’s smile lit the room.

***

His name was Sameer Anand Neveu and he weighed in at eight pounds, six ounces, a perfectly healthy baby boy. Jennifer knew that babies were supposed to be ugly at birth, wrinkled and red and resembling little apes. Not Sameer though. He was the most beautiful baby ever!. The nurses, Penny, Ted and Alfred kept telling her what a handsome boy Sameer was. Even Mrs.Hudson. Jennifer couldn’t hear it often enough. The resemblance to Samar was striking. He had his father’s eyes and beautifully shaped head. When Jennifer looked at him, she was looking at Samar. It was a strange feeling, a poignant mixture mixture of joy and sadness. How Samar would have loved to see his handsome son!

Sameer was two days old he smiled up at Jennifer and she excitedly told Alfred.

“It’s just gas Mistress,” he said but with a proud smile on his face.

“With other babies it might be gas, my son is smiling,” said Jennifer stubbornly.

Jennifer had wondered how she would feel about her baby, worried whether she would be a good mother. Babies were surely boring to be around. They messed up their diapers all the time, they demanded to be fed constantly, cried and slept. There was no absolute form of communication with them. I won’t really feel anything about him until he is four or five years old, she had thought. How wrong, how wrong. From the moment she had seen the little blip in the sonogram she loved him with a love she had never known existed in her. It was a fierce protective love. Sameer was so small and tiny but the world was so large.

***

Jennifer brought him home with her she was given a long list of instructions. Initially she was not able to cope up with her son’s needs even with the combined help of Penny and Alfred. He was completely dependent on her. He depended on her for nourishment, food and entertainment. She was terrified that she might do something wrong and unintentionally harm the baby. When Penny and Ted left for London, it was only Alfred, Sameer and her.

There were times when Jennifer did not think she would ever be able to do it. At unexpected moments she was overwhelmed with feelings of depression. Alfred kept telling her that it was normal postpartum blues, but that explanation did not make her feel any better. It was then, when Alfred called Mrs.Hudson to handle the situation. She explained to her with patience to be relaxed was good for her and her baby. She began coming over often to help Jennifer take care of Samar since she was constantly exhausted. It seemed to her that she was up all night giving Sam his feedings and when she did finally manage to sleep, Sam’s cries would awaken her and Jennifer would stumble back into his room.

She complained to Mrs.Hudson constantly about Sam’s health. Her healer who specialized in child care, Mr.Clark was constantly floo-called by her to report minor complications.

“Sameer is breathing too fast”...”Sameer is breathing too slow”...”Sameer is coughing”...”He didn't eat his dinner”...”Sameer vomited.”

In self defence the healer came to her home and gave her an hour long lecture.

“Mrs.Neveu, I’ve never seen a healthier boy than your son in my entire career. He may look fragile , but he is as strong as an ox. Stop worrying about him and enjoy him. And remember one more thing- he is going to outlive us both!”

And so Jennifer began to relax. She loved holding Sameer, bathing and diapering him, taking him to airings in his shiny new perambulator. She talked to him constantly and when Sameer was four weeks old, he rewarded her with a smile. Not gas, thought Jennifer happily. A smile!

***

“Gracy? Can I ask you something?” asked Jennifer.

”Sure love. What is it?” replied Mrs.Hudson.

"You once told me that your birthplace was England, that if you ever had the chance to go back you would go back and spend the rest of your days there. Right?”

“Yes I would love to,” sighed Mrs.Hudson,”But I can’t go. At least not now. I have a shop to take care of. Not to mention you. When you will go back to work, someone has to be here to take care of Sameer.”

“What if I told you that I will find you a girl to care of the shop here and you go to England and set up another branch of Beautiful Witch there? I will take care of all the finances you will need. Alfred will see to it that you find a decent place to live. Thalia can come with you too if you like.” said Jennifer while holding her breath to hear Mrs.Hudson’s reply.

“Why are you sending me away Jennifer?” asked Mrs.Hudson stoically.

Jennifer sighed and said,”You have to promise me that what I am about to tell you stays in this room.”

“I promise.” said Mrs.Hudson fervently.

“Before Samar disappeared he had called me. He said that he had found my family, which is big apparently. He said that they are still alive. But they think I am dead because they found a body that was identical to mine. I want you to go to London, befriend my family and keep an eye on them. In case any danger comes up to them. And if anything out of ordinary happens to them you are to tell me immediately. I do not want them to be in danger than they already are. And before you start trying to persuade me to go to England then let me tell you. I am not going back. EVER,” said Jennifer in a tone that said ‘shove-off-I-am-not-gonna-listen-to-you’ . “Look I can’t tell you exact details because it is highly confidential. I haven’t even told Ted and Penny about this because I know they won’t agree with me. I no longer have any wish to find out more about them and myself,Gracy. The fact that they are alive and healthy is enough reassurance,” continued Jennifer.

“What makes you think I will not try to persuade you to go and meet your family? They deserve this. What kind of a mother wouldn't be exuberantly happy to find her daughter coming home after so long?” asked Mrs.Hudson.

"They think I am dead anyway. It does not make that much of a difference. Even if I go back I won't be the same person they used to know me. I have changed now. Everything from my name and personality has changed. I would be just a shade, just a shadow of their daughter. But now I am a mother. The only and most important thing in my life right now is MY SON,"

Mrs.Hudson sighed defeatedly. She knew it was useless trying to dissuade her. She also knew why Jennifer was doing it, without her having to voice it. She had loved Jennifer like her daughter she never had. She hoped one day, she goes to England to reunite with her family.

“Are you sure about this dear?”

“Yes,” said Jennifer with a blazing determination in her face. The same look she had had when she had decided to recover and join the Academy all those years ago.”I know I am asking a lot. I will understand if you refused.”

“How will you make this work?” asked Mrs.Hudson

“Samar had left a file to me in his will containing all the details of every family member and friends of mine. I haven’t laid my eyes on it. It’s in my vault. Alfred will give that file to you. You keep it. You find them and buy a house in the nearby area where my parents are currently living. That’s how you can befriend them without getting suspicious I suppose,” said Jennifer.

“I’ll think about it dear.”

Three weeks later Mrs.Hudson took a portkey to London.

***

Six weeks had passed since Sameer’s birth and it was time to go back to work. Jennifer hated the idea of being away from her son for so long, but the idea of going back to work excited her even if it meant reminiscing and facing lots of memories with Samar. She had completely cut-off herself from everything for so long. It was time to enter her other world.

She looked in the mirror and decided that the first thing to do was to get her body back in shape. She had been dieting and exercising shortly after Sam’s birth, but now she went at it even more strenuously, and soon she began to look like her old self. She had talked to her department head and it was agreed that she would work as trainee from nine to three so she could go home early and take care of her son. Another four weeks later Jennifer returned to work.

###

Jennifer parked her car in the parking place. She could hear noises of children playing in the playground. She got out of her car and walked through the gate towards the school building. She looked for Sam and Murph among the kids running around but couldn’t find them. Finally she found them under a tree. It looked like Murph was trying to teach Sameer to write. She had grasped his left hand in her right, making him hold the pencil right and helping him write something on a notebook.

She went over to them and said brightly,”Hey kids!”

Sam looked up and yelled,”Mommy!” with a big beautiful smile on his face. He ran toward her and leaped and Jennifer deftly caught him. Samar laughed, extremely happy on seeing Jennifer. Murphy came to Jennifer and hugged her abdomen saying,”Hi Mom!”

“What are you guys doing?Shouldn’t you be playing? I thought afternoon was a playtime,” asked Jennifer.

“It is Mum. But Sam asked me to help him with his writing, so here we are,” said Murph.

Murph was Jennifer’s adopted daughter who was now ten years old. She was adopted nearly a year ago. In this short time she had come to call Jennifer her mom and Sameer her brother. Jennifer too loved her like any mother would love her daughter.

“Sam asked you voluntarily to help him write? Since when do you start doing something related to books?Huh?” asked Jennifer sniggering.

But Sam didn’t reply. He just threw his arms around her neck and started crying. Horrified, Jennifer startled. She put him down and bent on her knee to shush him. She rubbed his back and Murph gave him water from her bottle, After a while he calmed down.

“What’s wrong honey?” asked Jennifer.

It was Murph who replied.”His teachers scolded him a lot today. His classmates made fun of him. They were beating him in the corridor. Luckily I found them and told them to leave him alone otherwise he would have been badly bruised.”

Murph rolled up the sleeve of Sam’s jumper and showed Jennifer his arm. There was a spot where a patch of skin was stitched. There were also two small cuts that looked like he was gnawed.

“Oh Merlin!What the hell happened? Who did this to you?” asked Jennifer angrily.

“Mrs.Neveu.”

< p>She turned to see a woman with a round face and hazel eyes. It was the Principal of the school, Miss.Bailey who happened to be a squib. She knew that Sam and Murph were wizards.

“Miss.Bailey. What’s going on here. Who did this to Sam. I want to meet the parents of whoever did this to him,” asked Jennifer impatiently and heatedly.

“Let’s discuss this calmly in my office Mrs.Neveu. If you would like to follow me.” she said gesturing with her hand to follow her.

Jennifer took Sam and Murph's hand and together they set off to the principal's office.

Reviews 80
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear