Search:

SIYE Time:14:28 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Darkness Within
By MollyandArthur

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Draco Malfoy, Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Other, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Severus Snape, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General
Warnings: Dark Fiction, Death, Disturbing Imagery, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use, Rape, Sexual Situations, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 144
Summary: Tom Riddle opened the Chamber of Secrets while he was a student at Hogwarts. He committed another horrific act that same year. Now decades later, the students of Hogwarts continue to be impacted by his crimes. How will Ginny and her friends handle the darkness within?
Hitcount: Story Total: 148765; Chapter Total: 8733





Author's Notes:
Realizing I probably shouldn't be admitting this - but decided to do it anyway. This story really is more of a prequel setting up the bulk of the exciting action of this lengthy tale which is Darkness Within II. While I would love for readers to read this first, as long as you start the second book with an open mind to a few canonical changes and accept Neville's cousin as a character in the story, you can probably jump right in and keep up ;)




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 1 No One Could Hear

Shadows crept around her as Katherine sped nervously through the cloistered halls of Hogwarts. Wisps of honey blonde hair escaped from the bun she had put in that morning as she climbed one staircase after another. With the strange events that had been occurring in the castle lately, it was not wise to be out so late. Yet as Head Girl she had every right to be out past curfew. The corridors seemed deserted and silent. Nonetheless, she felt she was being watched from all angles.

As she walked from the library towards her dorm room in Gryffindor tower, she thought about the Potions NEWT exam that would be given in just a couple of months. Professor Slughorn, her Potions master, had dropped a subtle hint that their next class assignment would surely be covered on the test. For a moment, she let her mind wander. Katherine was determined to earn an ‘outstanding’ on the exam. The sharp young girl was thinking about her future career as a potion master herself when she bumped into a tall boy with jet black hair on the stairwell.

“Oh, I’m sorry!” she exclaimed. The embarrassment was apparent in her voice. Katherine blushed nervously when she recognized the fifth year Slytherin prefect now blocking her path. She clutched her bag closer to her as she made to move around him. “How clumsy of me!”

“No, I am sorry. I should have been paying attention to where I was walking,” he responded. There was a haughty air to Tom’s voice that she couldn’t quite put her finger on. It was as if he harbored some secret and was just dying to let her in on every detail. “I have been so worried about the odd things that have been happening here of late.” With a deliberate pause, Tom clutched his prominent chin.

His eyes shifted towards the vaulted ceiling above them, one hand tugged at his green and silver class scarf as his piercing gaze met Katherine’s. “Could I possibly ask for your advice?”

“Umm…” Katherine averted her gaze to her keenly polished shoes. Tom continued as if he had not only her full attention, but her consent as well.

“I am concerned about something, but I hesitate to go to the Headmaster about it without the advice of someone in a position of authority, or at least more authority than I currently possess,” he explained.

Katherine got the strong impression that it pained him that he was beholden to her position, but he covered his disdain with a wan smile.

“May I have a moment of your time?” Tom pleaded with feigned sincerity, and the subsequent hush between them in the stairwell was unsettling. He took a deep breath and exhaled with a sigh. “I really need your opinion.”

“Uh…of course,” Katherine stammered as she strengthened her resolve. “I will certainly try to help you in any way I can.” She forced a smile and tried to remain calm. Katherine had never felt comfortable around Tom. There was always something rather odd about him. Yet Headmaster Dippet seemed to like the boy, and Professor Slughorn thought well of him. Katherine and Tom were both frequently invited to “Slug Club” events. Despite his creepiness, Tom was popular and well liked in the halls of Hogwarts. As Head Girl it was her responsibility to help the prefects, and that included Tom. Despite her misgivings, Katherine was determined to do her job well.

“Thank you.” Tom’s response seemed stilted and forced as he gestured to a heavy oak door. “Perhaps we could talk in this classroom. I don’t want to be overheard. I greatly appreciate your willingness to assist me.”

He led her into the empty classroom, then spun on one heel to cast a locking and silencing charm on the door with his wand. It had been concealed in the folds of his scarf the entire time. Katherine was clearly alarmed by this, but tried not to show it. “Tom, are such drastic measures really necessary?”

“I told you.” His serpentine voice seethed from behind clenched teeth. “I don’t want to be overheard by anyone.” Tom crossed his arms as he tightened his fingers around the wand. “This is important.”

Katherine thrust her hands on her hips and addressed the prefect with every ounce of courage she could muster. “What did you want to talk about?”

“I want to know why so many of the boys in my house are enthralled by witches.” The young man looked genuinely puzzled. What an odd question, she mused. Katherine struggled to figure him out, but drew a blank as he chattered on, his voice rising into a command. “You will help me learn that and understand what they are talking about. Right here. Tonight!”

She grabbed for her own wand just as Tom sent a disarming spell her way. With uncanny reflexes, he caught her wand and calmly placed it on a table behind him — as if he knew he was in total control of their exchange.

Katherine backed against the wall. She begged for him to leave her alone, but he approached her with undaunted malice. “Tom you will let me go this instant or so help me…”

Emboldened, he continued to walk toward her slowly as he stripped off his clothing, piece by piece. Katherine screamed for help as he neared her, but no one could hear her behind the heavy door.

No help was coming. Tom began to breathe heavily as he reached out a slender hand to grasp for her throat.

**************************************** **************************************** *****

Ginny Weasley cried out as she witnessed the memory of violation that Tom Riddle forced her to watch through the pages of the diary. Although it had happened so many years ago, she felt as if she were standing there in the locked classroom — completely mute and powerless to stop the assault upon the Head Girl.

“No!” Ginny sobbed as she watched the girl scream and try to fight her attacker. The struggling girl was pinned to the wall with magical restraints, and her clothing was vanished with a wave of Tom’s wand.

“Please don’t do this! I’m betrothed! Please let me go!” Her begging fell on deaf ears.

Diabolically, Tom laughed as he struck her across the face. “You should feel privileged,” he hissed as his hand nearly lifted her off the stone floor.

“What?” she rasped and kicked at him.

“My dear, you are my first. I am honoring you of being worthy of me.” He tore away his last article of clothing and pushed himself into her. The girl began to scream again, and Ginny cried out in horror at the lurid sight of it all. Then, the vision dematerialized.

Tom crowed in triumph, sneering, “Silly little girl,” before Ginny collapsed on the ground in the chamber.

**************************************** **************************************** *****

Anna heard the unusual clamor of raised voices disturbing the typical peace of the house. She left her bedroom and stole down the stairs on tiptoes. The house was still decorated for Christmas. Prickly evergreen garland with large red bows wrapped around the smooth wooden railing. She paused near the bottom of the staircase. Once again, her grandmother and father were arguing in the living room. They had rarely ever argued about anything while she was growing up, but recently, something had changed.

“She will not go to England, and she will not attend school at Hogwarts! I forbid it!” The stately voice of the elder Katherine resounded forcefully.

“I’m sorry, but it’s not your decision to make. I am her father, and her mother expressly wished for her to attend Hogwarts. You’ve done a wonderful job raising and teaching Anna since her mother died, but I have to think about her future, and with you being so ill…” He caught himself and quickly moved to redirect the subject. “I’m sorry but sending Anna off to school is the best option we have. Besides, think of her untapped potential! Of the talent she has -- ”

“She will not be safe in England,” her grandmother nearly shouted. “No. There’s nothing at all for her to learn in that…that place! It’s out of the question. There are perfectly good schools for her to attend here. The academy outside of Annapolis would be an excellent choice.”

“Katherine, please be reasonable. I live and work out of London now and will for many years to come. This is an excellent opportunity for Anna,” he argued, running one hand through his hair. “It’s past time for her to be attending school somewhere, and for her to meet the few relatives in England she has left. I’ve already contacted the current Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, and he’s very happy to have Anna join the school in the fall as a third year student. She is going to Hogwarts!” Andrew thrust his fist into his open palm to underscore his position.

“You cannot take her from me.” An air of desperation overcame Katherine’s tone. “The girl is all I have left.”

“I’m not trying to take her from you,” Andrew sighed quietly. “Anna can stay with you for as long as you are able to care for her. I trust you to know when that is no longer possible.”

Katherine sagged into the closest chair and stared into the dying embers in the fireplace. She knew she was dying. The healers had made it clear that the old woman had a few months left to live. There was nothing they could do. Upon Katherine’s demise, Andrew would make all of the decisions regarding Anna’s care and schooling. There was no one else left other than a few relatives in England. Andrew had been a rather absent father due to his career, but there was no doubt that he loved his daughter and would do what he could for her.

Anna’s fated grandmother relented. “I suppose…I mean, I will do what I can to prepare her for Hogwarts.”

“Thank you Katherine. You are a wonderful grandmother to Anna. My daughter is lucky to have you.”

Anna quietly snuck back up to her bedroom. She could still hear her father and grandmother talking, but could no longer hear their words.

It was true.

It was happening.

She had been afraid for months and now she knew that her fears were justified. Her grandmother was dying and her life was about to change. Anna sat on her bed as salt tears slicked her cheeks.

**************************************** **************************************** *****

Remus Lupin checked the name of the pub once more before entering the establishment. It was in muggle London and was a nicer place than the squalid draught houses he usually frequented. Fortunately, it was also rather empty due to the time of day -- too late for lunch, too early for dinner. Remus scanned the interior looking for the man who had sent the letter arranging this meeting. It took only a moment for his eyes to meet those of a tall man with salt-and-pepper hair who had clearly been watching the door.

Remus approached him at his table and said, “Excuse me.” He leaned forward to get a closer look. “Are you Andrew Henry?”

The man stood up and smiled, while extending his hand, “Ah, yes! You must be Remus Lupin. Thank you for meeting me here.” Andrew extended a hand in a gesture of goodwill. “Please have a seat. What can I get you to drink?”

“I’ll have whatever you’re having.” Remus cleared his throat quietly as he situated himself at the table. “Thank you.”

Once the drink was ordered and delivered, Andrew began to explain his situation to Remus. “My daughter Anna is 13 years old and will be starting Hogwarts in the fall as a third year student. I need a tutor to work with her before then.” He waved his hands to emphasize his request. “You know, to catch her up on any deficits in her education.”

“Where has she been studying?” Remus peered into the glass on the table before him.

“She’s been taught at home by her grandmother for the last several years.” Andrew glanced around the pub and continued more quietly. “My mother-in-law is a formidable witch and I have no doubt Anna has been taught well, but there may be gaps in her learning. The last thing I want is for her to start her first year at Hogwarts already behind.”

“May I ask why you have decided to have her attend Hogwarts now?” Remus inquired as he picked up his glass.

“Her grandmother is dying. According to her healers, she has only a few months left to live. Anna has already lost her mother and her other grandparents. Once Katherine dies, she’ll have no relatives left in Virginia, where we are from. My career has brought me to London, so it makes sense for Anna to attend school here. She also has a few relatives here, the last name is Longbottom.” Andrew caught a glimmer in Remus’ stare. “I believe you know them.”

“Yes, I was acquainted with Frank and Alice many years ago.” Remus blinked and set down his glass. “What? Did Augusta Longbottom recommend me as a tutor?”

“Yes, she’s my daughter’s great aunt, and she did recommend you. Anna will actually be living at Longbottom Manor, and she will need to be tutored there. My career keeps me rather busy and I travel constantly, so Anna can’t live with me.” Andrew scratched his head for a moment. “Anyway, I doubt my daughter would be happy in the small flat I have here in London.”

Remus sat back for a moment. He pursed his lips and his brow furrowed as he pondered the situation. Frank and Alice had certainly been aware that he was a werewolf. Whether either of them had ever told Augusta was another matter. Nonetheless, this tutoring job sounded like an excellent opportunity.

“Exactly what type of arrangement are you looking for?”

“I would need you to be teaching Anna full time. Augusta suggested that you live at the Manor and tutor her daily from the time Anna arrives in England until she leaves for school on the first of September. I believe she’d like you to include her grandson Neville in the tutoring lessons as well over the summer.”

Andrew paused to straighten the sleeves of his suit jacket. “You have four or five days off every month, or so I’ve been told. The timing, Augusta mentioned, is of your choosing. Assuming that everyone is satisfied with the arrangement, please understand that I would like it to continue, so that you are Anna’s tutor every holiday and summer until she is of age and ready to graduate from Hogwarts.” Andrew lifted his glass and took a sip as he waited.

Remus exhaled and tapped a finger against the table. “Is there a reason your daughter will need to be tutored for such an extended period of time?”

“Honestly, she probably won’t, but my understanding is that children with licensed tutors are allowed to practice underage magic at home,” Andrew said. “Anna’s grandmother is quite insistent that Anna have a tutor so that she can continually utilize magic. I am inclined to agree, and inclined to give into Katherine’s wishes in any way I’m able.”

Andrew crossed his arms and narrowed his blue eyes at the lycanthrope. “So…are you interested in the job?”

“Very much so,” said Remus. The men hashed out the financial terms of the deal for a few minutes. Before Remus could drain his glass, the tutoring contract was signed.
Reviews 144
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear