Search:

SIYE Time:18:08 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Veil
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Holidays
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 113
Summary: In the fall of 1996 Harry finds a book about the ancient holidays just before Samhain, or what has become Hallowe'en. Tradition says communication with the dead is possible. Harry enlists Ginny to help him find out if its true.
Hitcount: Story Total: 59177; Chapter Total: 1614
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Sorry I'm late...stomach virus. MNF




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 15:
In and Out

Harry and Ginny were in the sitting room with his mum and Eva, just talking. The god and goddess had decided there had been enough comings and goings that everyone needed a few days to adjust before they began their work in earnest.
Julia had taken Anwen upstairs to help convert some of her wardrobes into more fashionable items, as her entire wardrobe was fifteen years out of date. James, Andrew, Remus, and Sirius were smoking cigars in the games room. Harry had gone with them but found the smoke quite disgusting and left. He much more enjoyed the smoke-free company of his mother.

“I can’t believe there are any of those disgusting things still here. Of course, knowing Sirius he could have nipped over to Nottingham this afternoon and bought more,” Lily said with disgust. She looked over and saw little Harry still resting in his swinging chair.

“If you’re going to disparage my fiancé, please make sure you’re doing it accurately,” Anwen said in a mirthful tone. “He nipped nowhere, his ability to Apparate is wonky. Andrew grounded him until we’re sure he won’t splinch himself.” Anwen sat down on the long sofa between Eva and Lily and took each of their hands in hers.

“Where’s Mum?” Lily asked.

“Upstairs letting hems out of my old mini-skirts she found in the closet from when we all lived here,” Anwen said. “I thought they were fine, but I didn’t feel like arguing with her.” The Marauder’s significant others laughed, Harry wasn’t sure why. Lily saw his confused face.

“We’re laughing because Anwen is going to put them right back. She’s got the legs to pull just about anything short off.” Anwen blushed and couldn’t look at Harry. While she was very kind and genuine with him, she was very guarded. Then again, she missed fifteen years of everything because people held her in a spell; he’d be cautious in her place as well.

“Seriously, don’t go all bashful,” Ginny said. “I can tell when a girl spends quality time on her broom. You don’t get calf muscles and that backside by sitting around.” Harry whipped his head around and looked at his friend. “What?”

“I think he’s feeling about as awkward as I am about the change in this conversation,” Anwen replied. The four girls laughed, but Harry avoided looking at them, instead choosing to study the face of his little self, which he decided to think of as a brother rather than a copy of himself.

"Please," Ginny said. "If it weren't that my mum would send a howler that would go on for ages, I'd go raid your closet."

“I suppose you could,” Anwen said thoughtfully. “I’m closer in age to you two than I am Lily and James. Then there is the whole issue of my fiancé, my dear friend, and his fiancé being in their thirties. It’s all mind-boggling," Anwen suggested gently, also moving them away from clothing, as she was sure women’s fashion wasn’t on Harry’s list of things to talk about.

“So, the age thing isn’t bothering you?” Harry asked.

"When I look at Remus and Eva, I feel like I should address them differently, but then I start talking with them, and it's like no time has passed at all," Anwen said, looking at Eva who nodded in agreement. "With Sirius though, he could be green with fish scales, and I would still love him. When I see him, I see how much love he has for me, it's this shimmer about him, and it obscures what ravages these lost years have written on his skin. I would know him regardless of anything else because of his love. And when he touches me, I am at peace. There is nothing in this world that can overcome me, so long as I have him.”

“That’s beautiful,” Ginny said. Harry grabbed her hand and gave it a little squeeze.

“It can be,” Lily said, “but it can also be mighty annoying. Don’t get between them, they’re like magnets and will speed at each other if they’ve been separated for too long.”

“We are not that bad,” Anwen countered.

"Yes, you are. You need to remember, I have been there since the first time you two met. I saw how you put him in his place on that train, and I saw you two the next morning when you arrived at breakfast riding in on his back. The two of you were always like this. If I weren't happy in love myself, I'd be jealous."

“That is so true,” Eva said. “He’s always loved you.”

“Come along, girls, we both know he can also be an arse and stick his boots into it. I won’t mention the innumerable times he hurt me.” But they both did remember. The times when Anwen would be near catatonic from heartbreak. The conversation lagged as the three were lost in their thoughts.

“Can I ask you a personal question,” Harry asked?

“All depends on how personal it is.”

“You said you can see his love, and Dad told me how you see spells and stuff, which is why you do wandless magic. How does that work?” Anwen rubbed her hands on her skirt, something Lily recognized immediately. As much as the world had changed for her in the last few days, she was happy to see something which was utterly familiar.

"That I will attempt to answer, but it's a bit difficult to put into words. Everyone has different colored magic, and I can see their magic. It's like there's an extra lens on my eyes which refracts even more light, I guess. On top of that, spells have shapes to them, and as soon as something is cast, I know what it is and can act accordingly."

“That is very cool, Anwen,” Ginny said.

“Thanks, it’s apparently a family trait. Oh!” she suddenly burst out with, looking at Harry. “I just found out from Mum that you and I are related. Your great-grandmother and my grandmother were sisters, they’re both dead now, but it makes us some kind of cousin. I’m happy that I’m related to Mum and all, but being James’ family…ugh,” she said, sort of sticking her tongue out at Lily. Much to Harry’s surprise, Lily stuck hers right back out at Anwen.

“Really? How did you not know this? I’m sure Sirius would have told me, although he didn’t really talk about you,” Harry uttered, trying to ignore their immature antics.

“He didn’t know. My grandmother hid my father and uncle when they were small. Their magic had been obliged to protect them. She had already lost her husband and daughter to Grindelwald in his attempt to use her skills against other witches and wizards. Dad and Uncle Angus were sent to Wales as Muggles escaping the German bombings in World War II. Grandmother then made it appear she’d been killed. The people who were fostering the boys adopted him, Dad kept the adopted last name, so when Julia and I met there was no reason to think I was actually a Parker.”

Harry was surprised to find this out about his family. He wondered if any of those Parker skills were in his blood too. He couldn't see spells, he was sure of that; but he'd always had outbursts of wandless magic. They seemed to happen when he was in danger. He planned to talk with her about sometimes when they were alone.

Baby Harry began to stir, and Lily started to get up to care for him, but Eva was already up. “Sit, Lil, I haven’t taken care of this little guy in a long time.”

“You’re welcome to him,” Anwen said. “Two weeks of his dirty nappies was enough for me.” Eva stood, picked up baby Harry and went to the area on the far side of the room where is nappies are and changed him quick. She then brought him over and set him in the magical play yard with his toys. Eva returned to her seat with her best friends.

“So, you’re not going to be having a little Padfoot anytime soon?”

“If my child was as much trouble as Padfoot is, I will never be having children. You’d think after all this time he’d remember to wipe the mud off after coming in from his jaunts and that he would not kiss me in dog form. I hate that. His breath is so bad.”

“You always have,” Lily said with a giggle.

“True,” Anwen replied lightly. “Honestly though, it’s going to have a lot to do with Sirius’ status after this spell is over.” The sadness in her voice was palpable. “I know he didn’t really die, that he fell through the curtain, but we don’t know what that means. Is he back for good or will be he be gone again? Can I live without him? He said it nearly drove him mad thinking about me, especially in prison. I don’t know what I’d do.”

“Anwen, you wouldn’t…” Harry was thinking of how to phrase this, “…kill yourself, would you?”

“Sirius has always been the stronger of the two of us. He’s put my pieces back together more times than I can count.” Tears began to roll down her face. “I would hope to stay here and help you through all of this and whatever comes after; I’m still an Auror. That said, just thinking about living without Sirius makes me physically hurt. We aren’t even married yet. My teacher, Perenelle Flamel, called us by some Greek name I can’t recall. It meant divided soul that we are one soul living in two bodies and without the other, we wither. I think that is assured about us. We met, bonded and had to be with each other. First, we were the best of friends, then family and then as lovers. I don’t know where he ends, and I begin anymore.”

“You have always been the best parts of me, luv,” Sirius spoke from the door frame. How long he had been standing there no one knew. At his arrival, Anwen stood and went to him, and was enveloped in his arms. He ran one hand through her tresses, closing his eyes and sighing in contentment.

“See, magnets,” Lily uttered.

"Thank you for doing the smell reducing spell," Anwen said, and the pair walked into the room. Sirius sat on the opposite end of the couch from where the girls were and pulled Anwen into his lap."

“You’d just have complained if I hadn’t,” he said honestly before kissing her forehead. “The rest are coming soon. I just needed to ask you something rather important.” Anwen played with the buttons on his shirt with one hand and stroked along his chin with the other.

“Oh, and what is that?” Ginny noticed a glimmer in her eyes that wasn’t there before.

“Will you marry me tomorrow, here, among our friends and family?” Sirius asked. Lily and Eva had grabbed for each other and Ginny had reached for Harry’s hand. They held their collective breath.

“Er,” Anwen said before stopping and scrunching her brow.

“Anwen,” Sirius said. “Luv?” He was becoming anxious.

“Anwen!” Lily and Eva yelled in unison, which finally broke whatever spell she’d inadvertently put herself in.

“What?” she yelled back.

“You didn’t answer him,” Lily said.

“Oh,” Anwen answered, looking startled. “Yes, of course. I was stuck on what I am going to wear.” Sirius dropped his head onto her shoulder while her friends were cheering and standing to hug the happy couple. Harry hugged Ginny that niggling feeling in his gut making him so glad to have her in his arms. When the revelry was ended, another voice was heard.

“That’s covered,” Remus said. “I knew your dress was at our little house in London and before the spells on the place were terminated because Sirius’ wand was broken, I went and retrieved it. Professor McGonagall has had it at Hogwarts all these years, unable to part with it. She’s going to bring it by later.”

Anwen popped up from Sirius lap and sort of skipped to Remus in a few steps before hugging him warmly. "This is why you are my best friend." Remus released her, and when she turned around, Lily and Eva were looking at her cross. "What?"

“What are we?” Lily asked. Anwen went to them and sat much like she had before.

“You two are my sisters in everything but blood,” Anwen said. The three-way hugging and giggling fest were joyous. “I can have a maid and matron of honor tomorrow. Are you two in?”

“Of course,” Eva said. The bride hugged her.

“If I didn’t get to return the favor from my wedding, I would be put out,” Lily confirmed. When Anwen turned to hug her, there were tears in both women's eyes. Harry knew his aunt had been horrible to her sister, but it was surprising to find out she had not even bothered to show up for the wedding.

“Then sweetheart, we are getting married in the morning!” Anwen cried happily in the general direction of Sirius.

“No, we’re not,” Sirius grumbled. “Afternoon or evening, fine, but let me sleep.” The room burst into uproarious laughter.
Reviews 113
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear