Search:

SIYE Time:13:57 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Veil
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Holidays
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 113
Summary: In the fall of 1996 Harry finds a book about the ancient holidays just before Samhain, or what has become Hallowe'en. Tradition says communication with the dead is possible. Harry enlists Ginny to help him find out if its true.
Hitcount: Story Total: 59029; Chapter Total: 2887
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Here's a new chapter. My awesome beta, Arnel, has a remarkable turn around time. I know, there are more questions than answers. They will come, I promise. Thanks for the kind notes at my return, I'm happy to be back writing HP Fan Fiction.
MNF




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 2:
The Awakening

My eyes open, surprised by the light. I can’t begin to imagine how long I’ve been asleep. Memories rush back to me, and I look around the room shocked at the state of it. Shouts from below. Light through the door. My son.

Oh, goddess, where is my son?

I stand, sprinkling bits of books, toys and the rocking chair which used to be in the corner about the room as I do. I feel strange, lighter somehow but remarkably grounded. How in the world did I survive him? Where was he now?

Please, goddess, don’t let him have succeeded with my boy.

Making my way down the back stairs, I see where curses collided with the walls of my house. Sunlight streams through the area which used to be the dining room and reception room; it’s then I notice our bedroom and the roof are partially gone. The curse marks and burns are everywhere. Slashes in the wretched fruit wallpaper of the kitchen leave the paper hanging like ribbons as I step onto the hardwood floors. A hole blasted through to the root cellar shows me the provisions we stocked there have rotted and disappeared.

How long was I gone? How old is my little boy?

Turning toward the lounge, the room where our family spent most of the time, is like turning into a day I now understand is long past. Dust covers the everything — the beer bottle Remus left on the hutch, a book I was reading and was placed with the text side down as to not lose my place, a seven-piece puzzle of a motorbike by son was working on before bed.

I picked up his favourite toy, a stuffed griffin Sirius had given him when he came to see us in hospital when he was born. I put it to my nose and inhale. It might have been my imagination, but I could still smell him — the combination of baby shampoo and the pervasive scents of willow, lavender, and elderberries I associated with my child. Peace washed over me as I inhaled it. Did my child still smell this way? My husband had always teased me about how people smelled like potions ingredients to me. I thought everyone had this power, but it was something rare, I learned, while at Hogwarts.

Keeping the toy with me, I doubled back, heading to the hall. There on the deacon bench was Sirius’ riding jacket, as was his cloak. He was wearing them when he’d left earlier that night.

We were sitting down to dinner, Sirius was here as usual, and we were surprised when Remus came through the front door. The two had been at each other’s throats for weeks, and predictably, they picked their row up. I told them they couldn’t fight in front of our son and Sirius went for his jacket and cloak and said he’d leave. He said he’d be flying around, keeping an eye on the place. He nearly took the hook off the wall by the garden door in his haste. Why were they now in here?

The door to the garage, on the left side of the hallway, hung precariously on only one hinge. It had been blown through, and the all-evils-trap we’d carved into the floor was burned away. Sirius had been the one to put the traps down, using magic he hated but knew would work — apparently, one set of grandparents had used it against the other during a feud in his childhood. It wasn’t enough to stop him though. Was anything or anyone capable of stopping him?

I stepped backward, feeling repelled by the remnants of the magic there. One step, then two…my body froze as every cell in me awakened.

James.

Looking down, the most massive scorch mark I’d seen so far was underfoot. My husband had died here. A sound wound its way up through me, starting at my soles and gaining power and volume as it rose. I screamed to the heavens in anguish, longing, grief, and love.

I don’t know how long I sobbed, but as my emotions and tears abated, I heard a voice.

“Are you ready to hear your tale?”

Turning my head, I saw her. Her face was lined where smiles and laughs had changed the shape of her mouth and cheeks. Her eyes danced with delight even though they were surrounded with deep crows-feet and low-slung lids. The hair glistened in the sunlight, original yellow-blonde strands glinting through the white. She had a phosphorescent radiance about her and a strong odour of monkshood and myrrh.

“What?”

“Are you ready to hear your tale? You are neither here nor there, for your story needs to be finished. Do you want to hear it?”

“Who are you?”

“Child, you already know.”


Elsewhere

“Lily?” James stood, turning away from his parents and friend. It was the most he’d felt of her in fifteen years.

“James, dear, what did you say?” Elizabeth asked, rising to put a hand on his shoulder.

“Lily. I feel her, she’s awake or alive, or I don’t know; I just know I feel her.”

“Are you certain, son?” his father asked.

“Absolutely,” he said reverently, closing his eyes, and swaying with the part of him that was in her awakened, too. This was the most he’d felt like living since that horrid night in Godric’s Hollow.

“Shite, James, you’re changing!” Sirius yelled out.

“Sirius, language.”

“Son, how do you feel?”

“Oh, goddess what are you doing?”

“What do you mean?”

“Uh, give yourself a peek, mate. You’re a bit more here than the rest of us.”

James looked at his skin, and it was less translucent and more substantial than the rest of his family. Shocked, he sat back down.

“Shite.”

“James Ashley, if I won’t let him swear, I am certainly not going to let you.”

“Lizzy, dear, let him go this time,” Mr. Potter said gently. “If he were alive I’d say he was in shock.”

“Prongs, what’s happening?”

“I’m not sure, but it feels wonderful. I can feel my Lilylove again.”

“I bet you want to feel her again,” Sirius said under his breath.

“Sirius!” three voices said in unison.

“Reginald, what do you think?” Elizabeth asked, concerned and wringing her hands.

“There is a theory, I read about it once, but the theory was ancient, it couldn’t possibly be?”

“Dad, what are you rambling on about?”

“The ancients believed that some people, those with important missions in life, didn’t leave this plane in life, but instead lingered to ensure the work was done. We have been left here, just behind the veil, so close to the living we can hear them and watch them; just not interact. Perhaps the time has come for you and Lily to finish your greatest purpose.”

“We didn’t get to raise Harry, which I thought was our greatest purpose. Parents should be with their children,” James said ruefully.

“Yes, I agree, and it must feel that was of utmost importance, but there is more to your story, and you are well aware of it,” Reginald reminded his son. He didn’t want to postulate that whatever was happening to James might happen to them all, why else would they have been left here for so long?

“Prongs, if Petal is around somewhere, then you need to go find her.” Sirius was excited, so much so that he used his unique nickname for her. He’d not used it since the night he found them and had attempted to rescue Harry.

“You’re not suggesting I attempt to go back through the veil, are you? Because the last time we tried it we got burned badly. I don’t want to do that again.”

“Yeah, but things are different now,” Sirius persisted.

“He is right, James. Something is different; however, I don’t think we should be testing your passing through until we know more.”

“You are certainly wise, Reginald Potter,” a voice said, and a body materialized, topped with a leaf covered face. “One of the reasons you are here, too. Come, all of you, sit, and I will tell you why you remain and what has changed.”


Hogwarts Castle


Harry awoke from his strange dream, struggling to get his bearings. It had been years since he’d dreamed of his parents, and certainly not like this. He was standing with them, looking just like they did in his photo book. Sirius and Remus were with them, as were Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. An older couple was there too. Who were they? What did it mean? Why did they all have their wands raised?

The feel of lips brushing against his brow surprised and comforted him. He swore he could see her, holding some manky stuffed thing in her arms.

“Mum?”
Reviews 113
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear