Search:

SIYE Time:14:02 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Veil
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Holidays
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 113
Summary: In the fall of 1996 Harry finds a book about the ancient holidays just before Samhain, or what has become Hallowe'en. Tradition says communication with the dead is possible. Harry enlists Ginny to help him find out if its true.
Hitcount: Story Total: 59188; Chapter Total: 1433
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Yes, it's another chapter this week! Last chapter of family time before the Horcrux hunt begins, they needed to resolve some of their feelings from the bombshell of the last chapter.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 20:



Throughout the grounds of Potter Manor, each of the couples had time and space to unpack their emotions created by the outpouring of sins by HIM. Not surprisingly, the three Marauder couples were the first to reassemble, using Eva’s small cottage as their meeting place. This wasn’t the first time the six of them had gathered to decide what to do next. The difference this time was they all — save Anwen — had a lifetime of knowledge to share. Their wounds might still be raw, but healing would take place like most things did in their lives, with each other.



“I can’t believe all of it,” Lily said, always the most trusting of the bunch. “HE wanted to sacrifice my children.”



“You consider both of them yours?” Eva asked.



“Well, yes, although the fact that I have two children, one of whom is only a few years younger than me is a rather much to take in. Does anyone else suddenly feel unsettled about the two Harrys?’ They considered it for a moment and then there was agreement that they did feel something which niggled at their guts. “Why didn’t we question it when you brought in baby Harry?” Lily asked of Anwen.



“I think it was a spell,” Anwen said. “I didn’t recognize it as such in the beginning, because we were all under it. But when Big Harry got mad and stalked off, I noticed it beginning to break apart. I was going to say something, but then I figured out the master plan of HIS and it didn’t seem as important. Who knows how many spells he’s put us under over the years?”



Anwen had a remarkable skill of being able to see magical spells. It had to do with her ancient lineage, but it made her very powerful. She had trained with Perenelle Flamel. Julia had explained that her grandmother had the same skill, and Gindelwald had wanted Violet, so he could use her skill. Remus had deduced that if Voldemort knew what Anwen could do, her fate would be similar.



“Well, the arsehole was going to sacrifice you like a hindwickle or something,” Sirius growled. Hindwickles were endangered, but the remaining Black family regularly went to France to hunt them anyway. Sirius was still rumbling with a stormy darkness which worried the other two men. James had decided a midnight sojourn into the woods as animagus’ followed by a bottle of Ogden’s Best might help Sirius excise some of his demons. James had witness all that had happened to his best mate; Sirius would never have to talk about it with him.



“Only after Harry had failed,” Remus reminded them. “What do you mean the spell fractured?” The bookworm in Remus was always interested in Anwen’s explanations, and he hoped to one day write a book based on her observations.


“I didn’t notice it until we sat down, mostly because HE wasn’t covered in it. Then I saw a fissure, like a crack in a glass. Harry’s angry eruption broke through it. Interestingly, Mrs. Potter was the next one to go, not any of us.”



“Mum and HE have known each other for years, since we’re rather distantly related. She’s wondered about his motives before but said nothing because of the close relationship dad had with Dumble–.” Sirius growled again, so James didn’t finish his thoughts.



“Why were we in the spell is a better question,” James asked?



“If it only started when Anwen brought the baby in,” Remus started, “I assume it was to keep us from questioning everything to closely, lest we begin to ask questions and ultimately figure out what we did this morning.”



“I get why our asking would have led us to lose ends, but did he think we’d turn away Anwen and the baby?” Eva queried.



“He needed assurance that we wouldn’t, since the goddess interrupted this plan,” James said.



“But why?” Eva persisted.



“Because HE is very selfish,” Anwen said with a sigh. “The summer my guardianship was signed over, he was livid I went to live in London with Sirius. He wanted me at the school. I don’t think people often told him ‘no’, because he did not react well to my saying it. He’s an amazing wizard with absolute power over the wizarding world. The Muggles have a saying, ‘absolute power corrupts absolutely’.”



“The one thing that really bothers me, is at least Tom Riddle never lied about his plans or motivations. I can’t believe HE was doing the same thing,” Lily said with slowly falling tears.



Anwen took Lily’s hand and gave it a squeeze and Eva excused herself to bring out tea and biscuits. The silence between the friends was comfortable and let some of their unease pass.



“Well, I think we all need to answer this question,” Anwen said softly, “is where do we go from here? I can only speak for me, but I can’t let Big Harry do this alone. He’d never let me do it alone.”



“James and I spoke about it, and we’re in. We are his parents after all,” Lily said. James nodded his head in agreement.



“I’m in,” Eva added. “I’m not as strong of a fighter as the rest of you are, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I’m great at distraction,” she added with a sly smile. Being half siren meant she could lure men astray; not that she did.



“Just warn us before you let lose,” James added. “Only Remus is immune to you.” For some reason the werewolf was not enticed by the sound of Eva’s voice. It was one of the reasons they worked as a couple.



“That is what makes him the perfect fiancé,” Eva replied sweetly before kissing the aforementioned man’s cheek. The rest of the group looked at Sirius.


“Do you honestly think I’d let my Pup go into a dangerous situation without me? I died for him once already.” Sirius cracked a bad, ill-timed joke which no one laughed at. “Too soon?”



“Don’t you ever joke about that again,” Anwen said tearfully.



“Luv, I didn’t mean it, it’s just too heavy in here,” he said with regret before he tightened his hold on his wife.



“Padfoot’s right about something, it is too heavy in here, and I can’t think about this anymore. Come on, I think we need to fly.” Heads nodded and everyone moved from the little house to the yard where they Disapparated to the pitch in the back of the large property. They were surprised to find Harry and Ginny already there, racing each other. The boys’ brooms had always been kept here, as it was the only safe place to fly during the first war. Anwen’s broom was also here, along with Harry’s little broom that his godfather and godmother had given the tot on his first birthday.



“Fwy, Fwy, Mummy. I Fwy!” the toddler yelled joyfully. My brum!”



“Yes, thank you Uncle Paddy and Auntie Anwen. We can get your broom out too, Harry,” Lily said, obviously still nonplused at the gift.



“Don’t lump me in with that gift,” Anwen said. “That was all Uncle Paddy’s doing. I disliked having him on it too.”



“You fwy me, Daddy?”



“I’ll take you up a little later, sport,” Sirius whispered. “When Mommy isn’t so angry. Okay?”



“’K,” the toddler replied, holding his thumb up like Auntie Anwen had taught him.



Eva stayed on the ground with Lily and Baby Harry while the rest of the adults decided on a pick-up game. Big Harry was Seeker, Remus played Keeper while the guys played Beaters and the girls were the Chasers. When the girls had scored four times within ten minutes, the boys knew they were beat and chose to just toss the Quaffle around. Harry dared Anwen to race, and even on her fifteen-year-old broom she outflew him. The race between Anwen and Ginny was closer, and James explained it was due to their similar sizes.


Julia and Andrew came out to watch the antics, and after the morning they’d all endured, it was good to hear laughter and watch the young ones not wallowing; although Julia thought they all have enough reason to.



After about an hour, the flyers landed. James scooped up his son and flew him around with him tightly in his arms and only about six feet off the ground. When he’d landed, they all headed inside to dine on Chinese Take-Away, since she had no desire to deal with food. As they’d all skipped lunch, save Little Harry, there were no leftovers. Julia had found some ice cream in the freezer, thanks to the house elves procuring it as well as all her groceries, and brought it, some toppings intended for the ice cream and bowls and watched as the young ones dug in. Once all their mouths were full, Andrew began speaking.



“I don’t know how many of you noticed, but HIS’ hand was withered. I would ask you to watch this, and then we can discuss it.”



“Why should we?” Lily asked. “There is not one of us that he hasn’t hurt in some way. Why do we need to do anything for him?”



“Because he will die otherwise.”



“It isn’t all that hard to do,” Sirius said menacingly. “Maybe he should find out what happens when you go.” Anwen was tempted to scold him again, but the look on his face convinced her not to. Instead she pulled herself closer hoping to ease some of what haunted her husband.



“We need to watch it,” Big Harry said. “I know what you’re thinking and part of me agrees, Padfoot. I think I know Granddad well enough to be assured that he wouldn’t ask if it weren’t important. Let’s see what it is and if we don’t feel like helping, we won’t.” Most gave a slight nod of their heads, although neither Black did.



Andrew dropped the memory into the pensive and then pulled the memory up and projected it. When it was done, the table was quiet.



“I think I’m going sick,” Anwen said, holding her hand to her mouth, beginning to cry. “I don’t want to help him.” Like everyone else at the table, Anwen had assumed it was her visualization skills Dumbledore needed.



“It isn’t you who needs to help him, Anwen.”



“Who is it then?” James asked.



“Eva, he believes you can sing at the curse. It reacts to voices. Whatever spell Tom Riddle placed on that ring, it interacted with another spell that was already on the ring. He thinks your voice might help him. There is no pressure. Take all the time you need to decide.”



Eva looked to Remus and then looked around the group.



“I’ll do this only if he promises to leave us alone. We have a Horcrux hunt to be starting.”




Reviews 113
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear