Search:

SIYE Time:20:44 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Memories & The Secret of Hogwarts
By Ruth Ann

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: G
Reviews: 21
Summary: Harry Potter begins his second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The dreams continue for Harry this time with his newest friend lying cold on the stone floor and the iniquitous voice saying "Speak to me Slytherin, greatest of the Hogwarts four."




Hitcount: Story Total: 10895; Chapter Total: 1134





Author's Notes:
I thought about making this chapter longer but decided against it so hopefully, I will be able to rock out another chapter soon.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Memories & the Secrets of Hogwarts Chapter 5 — First Day Back at Hogwarts
September 1st, 1992

Harry watched as Professor McGonagall led the first years into the Great Hall. Harry saw Ginny looking around the room and he smiled and waved at her. She seen him and smiled back. Their attention was brought back to the front of the room when McGonagall placed the sorting hat onto a stool. Every student and teacher looked at the hat waiting.

The hat opened its ‘mouth’ and began to sing.

“Oh, I may not look so pretty, But do not show me pity I have a purpose here. To sort students every year. Put me on So, I may see Where you ought to be. If you’re brave within your heart, Gryffindor will help set you apart. If you value loyalty beyond anything Hufflepuff will help you spread your wing If what leads you is your wit Ravenclaw will be a good fit If cunningness is what you employ Slytherin will help you achieve your ploy Don’t be afraid Put me on And I will grade What Hogwarts’ house you belong to!”

When the sorting hat finished its song every clapped.

“That was a different song than last year,” Harry said.

Fred laughed, “He changes it every year.”

Harry and Neville quietly watched the sorting begin. They watched as Colin Creevy became the first Gryffindor and some boy by the name of Harper was sorted into Slytherin.

When Professor McGonagall said, “Luna Lovegood.” Harry sat up a bit straighter and looked at the girl who sat down on the stool. Harry could swear he had never met this girl but something about her stood out. He could picture her sitting in a compartment with Neville, Ginny, and himself laughing as Neville’s Mimbulus mimbletonia squirted pus all over them when poked.

Her sorting only took a few minutes before the Hat shouted, “Gryfindor” out for the hall to hear. Harry was surprised that the hat placed her in Gryffindor he thought she would have been going to Ravenclaw. Her being in Gryfindor was not something Harry imagined. He clapped with the rest of the Gryffindor table as Luna came over to join the table.

“Here,” Neville said motioning to the spot between him and Ron. Ron looked like he was about to object but swallowed his objection when everyone sent him a glare.

Luna smiled dreamily at Neville as she said, “Thank you. I appreciate the gesture. My name is Luna. Luna Lovegood.”

They missed a lot of the sorting as they chatted with Luna cause the next thing, they know Ginny’s name is being called and she is sitting on the stool with the hat firmly placed on her head. Ginny sat there for almost a whole six minutes and everyone was starting to get nervous when the hat finally shouted, “Gryffindor.”

Harry imminently made room for Ginny between Neville and himself. Ginny sat down between them and smiled as everyone welcomed her to Gryffindor's house.

September 2nd, 1992

Harry and Neville came down to breakfast early the first morning back. They were filling their plates with eggs, bacon, and sausages when the twins showed up with Ginny between them. Neville and Harry scooted apart to make room between them for Ginny. Ginny looked at the two confused before Fred and George pushed her into the seat.

Ginny blushed as she looked at the two. When she didn’t move to fill her plate, Harry started to fill it for her.

“Aww,” Fred said. “Look at the cute couple.”

“Wittle Harry his filling ickle Gin Gin’s plate for her.” George continued.

Neville snorted into his glass of pumpkin juice and Ginny’s face turned a new shade of red. Harry looked up from Ginny’s plate and gave the twins a look that clearly said to shut their mouths or pay the price.

“Ginny you should really eat,” Harry said turning to look at her. “You have a full day ahead of you.”

Ginny nodded her head at Harry and grabbed a piece of bacon.

“Did you guys talk to McGonagall about switching your classes?” Harry asked the twins to lead the conversation away from Ginny and himself.

“Why would we do that?” They asked together looking at Harry confused.

Harry smirked at the twins. “You guys did say over the summer that Divination was a complete and utter waste of time.”

The twins were about to say something when Professor McGonagall appeared behind them. She smiled at Harry, Ginny, and Neville and said, “I’m sorry to hear that Divination is not providing the challenge you boys are expecting from your courses. I would be more than happy to find you two a more appropriate course to help keep your attention. Perhaps Arithmancy or Ancient Runes?”

Fred and George’s face paled as McGonagall pulled out the boy’s schedule and looked it over. “What is it you boys want to do after Hogwarts?” McGonagall asked surprising the two boys. “We would usually have this conversation sometime next year after Christmas to decide what classes to continue to best suit where you want to be in life but you saying you don’t like one of your elective courses makes me think maybe these conversations would benefit you in your second year before you choose any electives.”

The twins looked at McGonagall for a few moments before turning to each other. They were quiet for a few moments, seeming to have a silent conversation before they turned back to McGonagall.

“Honest, Professor,” Fred started.

“We’re not sure.” George continued.

“We’d like to do something…”

“Where we can work together.”

“Something, we’re good at.”

McGonagall was quiet as she thought over what the boys said.

Harry’s not sure where the thought came from or why he said it but it was out of his mouth before he could even process it. “Maybe you guys should start your own joke shop.”

Ginny’s eyes widened in surprise and she gave out a squeal of excitement and said, “that’s perfect!”

The twins looked at each other and leaned in and started to whisper together. They were like that a few minutes before they both nodded and turned back to Professor McGonagall.

“We’ve decided that if there is room in the third year Ancient Runes and Arithmancy we would like to take those instead of Divination.” McGonagall looked surprised at the two assuming they would have chosen muggle studies instead of one of the really hard classes.

McGonagall switched the schedules and handed them to the boys. She handed continued to hand out the schedules to those already there.

Neville looked at the schedule and said, “It doesn’t look like it’s going to be a bad day. “Herbology should be good and Transfiguration shouldn’t be too bad.”

Harry nodded in agreement; Herbology and Transfiguration some of their better classes. Neville was great at Herbology and had been able to help Harry get an O last year. Harry had also been able to help Neville in Transfiguration. Harry had gotten an O while Neville got an E. After breakfast, Harry and his friends were almost down to the greenhouses for Herbology when they saw Lockhart coming towards them. Harry tried to duck behind a tree but wasn’t fast enough.

“Harry, my boy,” Lockhart said with a smile.

Harry grimaced before responding. “Professor,” Harry said. “How may I help you?”

“I was just helping Professor Sport prepare her lessons.” Lockhart said, “I am better at Herbology than she is, and as I have come across a wide variety of exotic plants over the course of my travels.”

Hermione seemed to be in awe at the man and the boys could tell that she was hanging onto every word out of Lockhart’s mouth. Harry was about to ask how he could help him when an angel called out to them.

Well, it wasn’t truly an angel, it was Professor Sport calling out to the students and letting them know that they would be in greenhouse three as she unlocked the door.

“I’m glad I ran into you today, Harry,” Lockhart said grabbing Harry’s arm to keep him from moving to follow his classmates into the greenhouse. “You of course don’t mind madam.” Lockhart continued addressing Professor Sprout.

Harry shot Professor Sprout a pleading look which she seemed to ignore and shot Lockhart a glare that told Harry that she did in fact mind him holding Harry back from class. Before Professor Sprout could say anything, Lockhart dragged Harry away from the greenhouses.

“Harry, Harry, Harry,” Lockhart said shaking his head. “I understand the need for attention. I wish you would have talked to me first. I could have helped you out.”

Harry was so confused about what Lockhart was talking about. Harry could recall doing anything that would have made him want attention.

“Making your little red-headed friend argue with the sorting hat to get it to put in the same house as you.”

Harry wanted to argue with Professor Lockhart but something told him the man wasn’t going to listen to anything Harry had to say because before he could say anything Lockhart continued. “Telling your little red-headed friend to argue with the sorting hat to draw attention to your house and thus yourself.”

He failed to see the connection between Ginny being a hat stall and Harry. “It’s my fault really,” Lockhart continued. “Gave you a taste of the spotlight and now you can’t get enough. Don’t worry though, it’s natural.”

With that said, Lockhart strode off towards the castle.

Harry couldn’t figure out what had just happened. It didn’t make any sense. Shaking his head, he quickly made his way into the greenhouse.

Entering the greenhouse Harry grabbed a pair of earmuffs and quickly took his place beside Neville. He gave Neville a tense smile indicating he would explain later.

The lesson gave Harry a severe case of deja vu. The mandrakes made Harry uneasy. It had nothing to do with the power the mandrake had in the adult form or that the young could knock someone out with their shrill shriek. Harry fought the feelings the rest of class.

At the end of class, Harry was both mentally and physically exhausted. As much as the saplings didn’t want to leave the earth, they didn’t want to go back in either. Neville and Harry both listened as Ron complained about how that lesson was too hard for the first day back as they made their way to Transfiguration.

Lucky for Harry Transfiguration was one of the subjects Harry excelled at. They spent the hour turning beetles into buttons. Harry managed to perform the spell without too much difficulty and was able to help Neville get a few of his beetles into buttons. From what Harry could see of Ron he seemed to be struggling with the spell. Hermione who was next to him didn’t seem to be having any trouble but she wasn’t like Harry in that even though she had gotten the spell down she wasn’t offering Ron or anyone else help.

This fact became even more concerning when she proceeded to show off her buttons to them on the way to lunch. Harry wasn’t sure if she knew what she was doing and how hurtful her actions could be. She was basically bragging that she was better than Ron and was proud of it. He wished she would want to help Ron understand the work as much as he wished Ron wanted to understand it.

All in all the day wasn’t the best first day back and it was only half over because after lunch they had Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Reviews 21
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear