Search:

SIYE Time:22:17 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Path Diverged II
By hp_fangal

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Post-HBP
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Romance
Warnings: Disturbing Imagery, Mental Abuse, Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 220
Summary: The Wizarding world finally knows that Lord Voldemort has returned, and the Second War has begun. As Harry prepares to enter his sixth year at Hogwarts, he is forced to deal with the trauma from his last encounter with Voldemort, the upcoming trial of Dolores Umbridge, Sirius's uncomfortable questions about his childhood, his budding relationship with Ginny Weasley, and the unknown shadow of what lies ahead as the "Chosen One" who must defeat Voldemort once and for all. This is an AU take of Half-Blood Prince following my previous story, Path Diverged.
Hitcount: Story Total: 92606; Chapter Total: 2608
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
My muse has been all over the place lately, but I've finally managed to get my focus in the right place. Also, two more weeks, and school is out for the summer! More importantly, next Friday, the 15 of May, marks the day that "Path Diverged" was first published here on SIYE! I'm hoping to have the next chapter ready to go by then in celebration. Fingers crossed!

This chapter includes some content from HBP Chapter 11 "Hermione's Helping Hand". Enjoy!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Tryouts



Ron was nervous. It would have been a lie to say otherwise at this point. He woke earlier than usual and stared at the canopy of his bed until he heard Harry begin to stir, at which point he forced himself to get up and get ready to head down to breakfast.

“You ready, Weasley?” said Seamus brightly as he pulled on his shoes, both of them ignoring Dean’s hasty retreat from the room. “I know you made the team last year, but I hear McLaggen’s trying out this year.”

Harry looked up from tying his own shoes. “What do you know about him, Seamus? I met him on the train, and he seemed a bit of git to me.”

Seamus snorted. “If you ask me, ‘git’ doesn’t even begin to cover it,” he said. “He was going to try for the Keeper spot last year, but he ended up in the hospital wing after eating a pound of doxy eggs for a bet.”

Ron’s nerves increased at the words. He’d been lucky to make the team at all last year. What if this McLaggen guy was better than him? He knew Harry was giving all Keepers trying out exactly five penalty shots to block the Quaffle. Angelina Johnson had done the same last year, and he’d barely managed four of the five. His only saving grace had been that the others who tried out were either worse than him, or had other commitments that clashed with Quidditch in a way that Angelina hadn’t found acceptable.

Harry frowned at Seamus’s words. “Sort of takes ‘stupidity’ to a new level, doesn’t it?”

“I don’t like him much, myself,” said Neville as he returned to the room from brushing his teeth in the bathroom. “Don’t really see him as being much a team player.”

“Too right,” chuckled Seamus. “I guess we’ll just have to see how it all goes. I know you’ll try to keep it as fair as possible, though, right Harry?”

“Of course,” said Harry as he grabbed his Firebolt. “A good team isn’t about favors to friends. It’s about the people who work best.”

“I hope I make the cut,” said Seamus, “though I’ll be surprised if Katie doesn’t make the team again. Ginny’s probably a cert, too.”

Harry shrugged. “It all depends on how the tryouts go.”

“Excellent noncommittal answer, Harry,” grinned Seamus. “Good luck making the call today!”

Harry nodded and headed out with Ron for the Great Hall. “I’m not feeling very hungry,” he mumbled to Harry.

“Ron, you pulled through last year,” said Harry encouragingly as Hermione and Ginny caught up with them at the queue leaving the common room. “I still regret that I wasn’t there to see the final match.”

Ron scowled, recalling that Hagrid had cajoled Harry and Hermione away from the final match last year to share the reason behind why he constantly looked as though he was being beat up: Grawp, Hagrid’s half-brother, who was also a full-blooded giant, was living in the forest and Hagrid had feared for him in his final days before having to flee the castle. “Still can’t believe Hagrid brought a giant back here,” he muttered.

“Speaking of which,” said Hermione, “what do we do about Hagrid? He hasn’t been to any meals since that first day, and I know he’s been ignoring us in the corridors between classes.”

“He’s been pretty weird in my class, too,” said Ginny. “Half the time I feel as though I don’t exist when he’s teaching us.”

“Well that’s not fair to you,” said Hermione crossly. “It’s not your fault we didn’t choose N.E.W.T. level for his class.”

“Maybe he’s been thinking you’ll do the same thing we did,” said Ron with a shrug.

“He’s not even given us the chance to explain,” said Hermione. “We really ought to try.”

“After tryouts,” said Harry decisively.

“But we still have to practice the Aguamenti Charm for Flitwick, and – how are supposed to explain that we hated his stupid subject?” said Ron.

“We didn’t hate it!” said Hermione.

“Speak for yourself,” Ron countered her darkly, “I haven’t forgotten the skrewts.”

Hermione sighed, shoulders slumping. “I just… I hate not talking to Hagrid,” she said quietly.

“I promise we’ll talk to him,” said Harry. “But after Quidditch. I expect that’ll take most of the morning, though, the number of people that have applied.” He suddenly looked nervous. “I dunno know why the team’s so popular this year.”

Ginny snorted. “It isn’t Quidditch that’s popular,” she said.

Hermione nodded at Harry’s confused expression. “Harry, it’s you,” she said impatiently. “You’ve never been more interesting, and regardless of that fact that you’re going out with Ginny, you’ve never been more fanciable.”

Ron stumbled and scowled, unsurprised to see a matching expression on his sister’s face. “It’s complete rubbish,” Ginny stated as they reached the Great Hall and set off to find empty seats. “This whole ‘Chosen One’ campaign by the Daily Prophet on the heels of your growth spurt and the Ministry leaking about how you’re inheriting the Black fortune is just –”

“It’s made you fascinating, Harry,” Hermione cut her off. “That’s why so many people are coming.”

Ron gulped a bit, but said nothing to this as Harry flushed beet red, instead sitting down next to Hermione and doing his best to ensure he ate a good enough breakfast to see him through the tryouts. It was obvious the things Hermione and Ginny were saying had only served to embarrass Harry.

Hedwig landed a few minutes later with a new copy of Advanced Potion-Making for Harry that Sirius had ordered for him. “I don’t suppose you’re going to rethink things and give the old copy back?” said Hermione in a would-be casual voice.

“Are you mad?” said Harry with raised eyebrows. “Dumbledore basically approved of me using the copy I borrowed, remember? Anyway, I’ve already thought it out –” Ron watched as Harry pulled out his wand to magically switch the covers of the books and had to grin at the appalled look on Hermione’s face.

“Sirius said Harry should keep it, too,” he pointed out as Harry shoved the Prince’s book back into his bag. “Though, why are you carrying it everywhere you go these days?”

Harry shrugged and dug into his breakfast. Ginny looked between him and Hermione and smiled a bit, but said nothing. Hermione glared at Harry’s bag before opening the latest issue of the Daily Prophet a brown owl had delivered to her.

“Anyone we know dead?” Ron asked as casually as possible. This had become a habit of his as of late, asking Hermione this same question every morning when the paper was delivered.

“No,” she said quietly, “but there have been more dementor attacks. And an arrest.”

“Someone important, I hope,” said Ginny.

Hermione shook her head. “Stan Shunpike.”

“What?” said Harry in surprise. “Stan Shunpike, a Death Eater?”

Hermione grimaced and started reading aloud: “‘Stanley Shunpike, conductor on the popular Wizarding conveyance the Knight Bus, has been arrested on suspicion of Death Eater activity. Mr. Shunpike, 21, was taken into custody late last night after a raid on his Clapham home…’”

“There’s no way he’s a Death Eater,” said Harry.

“He might have been put under the Imperius Curse,” Ron pointed out. “You can never tell.”

“It doesn’t look like that’s the case here,” said Hermione, still reading the article. “It looks like he was talking about the Death Eaters’s secret plans in a club.”

“Sounds like he was trying to make out that he knew more than he did than it does the Imperius Curse,” said Ginny, and Ron had to concede the point.

“I dunno what the Ministry’s playing at,” said Harry with a scowl, “taking Stan seriously.”

“Didn’t he claim he was going to become Minister for Magic when he was trying to chat up those Veela back at the World Cup?” asked Ron.

Harry nodded. “Yeah, that’s him.”

“I think the Ministry is trying to make it look as though they’re doing something,” said Hermione, frowning. “People are terrified – Parvati says her parents are still trying to convince her and Padma to come home.”

“Hogwarts is safer, though,” said Ron incredulously. “We’ve got all these extra protections, Aurors – Dumbledore!”

“Have you seen Dumbledore at all this week, though?” asked Ginny quietly.

Harry looked up at the staff table, and Ron followed his gaze to see Dumbledore’s empty seat. “I haven’t seen him since our lesson last Saturday,” said Harry, keeping his voice quiet, as well.

“He must be doing something with the Order,” said Hermione in a low voice. “I mean… it’s all looking serious, isn’t it?”

Harry nodded. “You heard about Hannah Abbott?” he asked Ginny.

Ginny nodded, and Ron sighed, recalling the horrible incident in Herbology the day before when Hannah had been taken out of class to be told her mother had been found dead. They hadn’t seen her since.

When they left the Gryffindor table five minutes later, they walked past Parvati and Lavender. Ron wondered briefly what it must be like to have your parents so determined to see you somewhere else than the safest place to be found for miles when Lavender suddenly met his eyes and gave him a wide smile. Ron blinked in surprise and cautiously returned it, recalling a passage from the book he’d been reading about cues that a girl liked you.

For some reason he couldn’t fathom, Lavender was giving him favorable cues. Why had she suddenly noticed him when she had only ever seemed annoyed with him in years past? He allowed this puzzle to fill his mind as he traipsed outside with Harry, Hermione, and Ginny, and hoped to figure it out soon.

The Quidditch pitch was crowded with dozens of hopefuls, some who had brooms of their own, and others who were going to have to use the school brooms. Ron took in the scene with wide eyes, and felt slightly bolstered when he saw that Harry’s expression matched his own.

“Good luck to you all,” said Hermione before she retreated to the stands to watch.

A tall, wiry-haired boy Ron knew to be Cormac McLaggen approached Harry in an annoying friendly and familiar way that made Harry go stiff and made Ron scowl. Apparently McLaggen had been a part of that lunch meeting of Slughorn’s on the train that Harry and Ginny had attended. He was pleased to note how quickly Harry dismissed McLaggen as well as the flicker of annoyance that passed over the other boy’s face at the easy dismissal.

Harry had clearly meant it when he said the trials would be as fair as possible.

The first part consisted of just flying laps, which eliminated a good chunk of the students on the field, including a few Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. Ron watched them sprinting off the field, giggling madly, and prayed things would calm down by the time Harry started Keeper tryouts.

The Chaser trials were first. Ron was pleased to see Katie Bell make the team again, and was unsurprised when Ginny outflew the competition and scored seventeen goals to boot. Harry’s last Chaser pick was a fourth year named Demelza Robins who he noted was very skilled in dodging Bludgers.

Seamus was disappointed that he hadn’t made the cut. “Fair is fair, though,” he told Ron when Harry had made his final decision and took to shouting complainers off the field. “They’re all excellent.”

“They are,” agreed Ron, who was starting to feel as though he might be sick.

He watched Harry move onto the Beaters, and thought he’d made good choices with the two boys he found for the job: Jimmy Peakes, a third year, had managed to hit a Bludger so ferociously that he’d raised a lump the size of an egg on the back of Harry’s head (Hermione had quickly intervened to bring the swelling down), and Ritchie Coote, who looked weedy but aimed well. Neither of them were quite up to the brilliance of Fred and George, but Ron thought they’d do a good job.

The stadium had slowly filled as the trials had gone on, and Ron was now past feeling as though he might be sick. He knew he would be sick at this rate. Harry shot him a worried glance before starting the trials for Keeper.

The first five to try didn’t save more than two goals apiece, which actually bolstered Ron’s nerves a bit. He still had a chance.

Then it was Cormac McLaggen’s turn. He shot a smirk at Ron before taking to the sky on his broom and positioning himself at the goals. Ginny, Demelza, and Katie were all taking turns trying to score so Harry could carefully observe each Keeper. Ron waited on tenterhooks as McLaggen saved one, two, three, four –

On the fifth shot, aimed by Katie, McLaggen shot off in the completely wrong direction, and those sitting in the stands began to laugh and boo as he returned to the ground, grinding his teeth.

Now it was Ron’s turn. You can do this, he told himself as he mounted his broom and rose, heading for the goalposts. He met Ginny’s gaze and saw nothing but confidence and encouragement. “Good luck!” called out a voice from the stands, and Ron looked around to see that it was Lavender who had called out to him. She looked a mixture of pleased and embarrassed and buried her face in her hands.

Hermione’s face was unreadable.

Trying not to think about what had just happened, Ron turned his focus back to the three Chasers. Katie was poised to go first. He’d played with her last year, and he knew her tells, so when she feinted right with that little twist of a smirk on her face, he knew what was coming and went to her left, saving the first penalty shot.

Demelza was next. Ron only had the morning to go off of, but when she threw the ball, he reacted and –

Saved! Two penalty shots down now, Ron knew it was Ginny’s turn. She grinned at him, paused, and then shot off in a flash, throwing the Quaffle with everything she had and he wasn’t going to catch it this time, he was certain of it, but then – yes!

There were cheers from the spectators in the stands. He was three for three!

Two more shots, and Ron had saved all five. He’d done it! The stands exploded with cheers from his fellow Gryffindors, and he flew down to the ground with the three Chasers, the two new Beaters grinning up at him.

That’s when he saw McLaggen get into Harry’s face. “His sister didn’t really try. She gave him an easy one!”

“Rubbish,” said Harry hoarsely. “That was the one he nearly missed.”

“Give me another go.”

“No,” said Harry. “You had your go. You saved four. Ron saved five.”

“You’re playing favoritism, picking your best friend and your girlfriend when there are better players walking away right now, you know that?”

“I picked the best,” said Harry firmly. “It’s not my fault the Weasley family produces better players than most in Gryffindor.”

McLaggen glared at Harry. “Give me another go,” he demanded.

“I already gave you my answer,” said Harry angrily. “Ron’s Keeper, he won it fair and square.”

McLaggen shot Ron a venomous glare. “You think you’re so special, Potter,” he growled, focusing on Harry again. “Famous for something that happened when you were just a baby –”

Ginny had clearly had enough of the seventh year’s attitude. Moments later, McLaggen let out a rather undignified shriek as bat bogeys exploded from his nose. Ron burst out laughing at the sight, turning to face Harry –

“Bugger,” he muttered upon seeing the glassy stare, roughly spinning Harry away from the others and leaning in close. “Snap out of it, mate,” he whispered. “You’re not there. You’re here with me and the Quidditch team.”

Harry sucked in a harsh breath as his eyes cleared and focused. “I’m fine,” he whispered, turning to take in Ginny shouting angrily at McLaggen. “Bat bogeys?”

“It is her specialty,” remarked Ron as McLaggen shot Ginny a scathing glare and stalked off the pitch at last, rubbing his nose sullenly as he went.

“Are you all right?” called out Hermione as she approached. Harry nodded and smiled at her. “Ron, you were brilliant!” she said next, grinning happily. “I knew that extra practice would pay off!”

“I’m glad you were willing to help me get ready,” said Ron, smiling broadly back at her and promptly forgetting all about the bizarre behavior of Lavender Brown. “Anyway, Katie has this little tell when she’s feinting, did you know?” After Harry set up their first practice for the following Thursday evening, Ron carefully described each penalty he saved as Ginny pressed herself against Harry’s side, an arm around his waist as the four of them headed towards Hagrid’s hut.

“And Ginny, that third penalty, you really put me through my paces on that one,” he told his sister enthusiastically. “I thought for sure I wasn’t going to catch it –”

“Well obviously I couldn’t go easy with everyone watching,” Ginny teased him over her shoulder.

“Didn’t stop McLaggen from thinking so, though,” said Ron with a scowl. “Git. Anyway, the arc of the Quaffle as you threw it, Ginny, it took me almost too long to identify exactly where to reach for, but then I got it!”

“And brilliantly, too, I might add,” said Hermione, positively beaming at him.

He grinned back her. “Thanks! I thought I was going to miss that fourth penalty. Tricky shot from Demelza, did you see, had a bit of a spin on it –”

“Yes, yes, you were magnificent,” said Hermione.

Grinning in satisfaction, Ron said, “I was better than McLaggen anyway. Did you see him lumbering off in the wrong direction on his fifth? Looked like he’d been Confunded, the great lout.” He thought Hermione blushed at this, but was too excited to pay attention. “But that last shot from from Katie…” He continued talking about each penalty, feeling as though he could cast the world’s best patronus, and only stopping his descriptions of his saves when they reached Buckbeak, the large grey hippogriff Sirius had escaped from Hogwarts with their third year.

“Oh dear,” said Hermione nervously. “He’s still a bit scary, isn’t he?”

“Come off it,” said Ron, “you’ve ridden him, haven’t you?”

“Yes,” said Hermione as Harry stepped forward and bowed low to the hippogriff, “but I can’t say it was exactly the most pleasant experience.”

“You know he wouldn’t hurt you without a good reason,” said Ginny, following Harry’s motions and approaching Buckbeak after he bowed to them both. “He’s really quite gorgeous, isn’t he?”

“I bet you’re enjoying the chance to be outside again,” said Harry as he stroked the feathery head. “Hagrid taking good care of you, then?”

“Oi!” said a loud voice.

Hagrid had come striding around the corner of his cabin wearing a large flowery apron and carrying a sack of potatoes. His enormous boarhound, Fang, was at his heels; Fang gave a booming bark and bounded forward.

“Git away from him! He’ll have yer fingers – oh. It’s yeh lot.”

Ron was struggling to fend off Fang now, who was jumping up at both him and Hermione, trying to lick their ears. He looked up at Hagrid to see him stare at them all for a split second before turning and striding into his cabin, slamming the door behind him.

“Oh dear!” said Hermione, looking stricken.

“Well, that about sums up my classes with him,” sighed Ginny.

“That isn’t fair of him,” said Harry firmly. He scowled and strode to the door, knocking loudly. “Hagrid! Open up, we want to talk to you!”

There was no sound from within.

“If you don’t open the door, we’ll blast it open!” Harry said, pulling out his wand.

“Harry!” said Hermione, sounding shocked as Ginny approached him, wand already in hand. “You can’t possibly –”

“Yeah, I can!” said Harry.

“We both will,” snarled Ginny.

Before either of them could do anything, though, the door flew open again, and Hagrid was revealed, glaring down at Harry and Ginny in a way that made Ron want to back up rather hastily.

“I’m a teacher!” he roared at the two of them. “A teacher, Potter! How dare yeh come along with Weasley an’ threaten ter break down my door!”

“I’m sorry, sir,” said Harry, emphasizing the last word as he immediately stowed away his wand.

Hagrid looked stunned. “Since when have yeh called me ‘sir’?”

“Since when have you called me ‘Potter’?” Harry retorted almost scathingly.

“Oh, very clever,” growled Hagrid. “Very amusin’. That’s me outsmarted, innit? All righ’, come in then, yeh lot of ungrateful little…”

Mumbling darkly, he stood back to let them pass. Ron watched Hermione scurry past Hagrid, looking rather frightened, but he followed Harry and Ginny’s lead, marching in calmly to sit down around Hagrid’s enormous wooden table.

“Well?” Hagrid said grumpily as Fang immediately approached Harry and dropped his head down onto Harry’s knee, drooling all over his robes. “What’s this? Feelin’ sorry for me? Reckon I’m lonely or summat?”

“We could start with the way you’ve been treating Ginny in class,” said Harry firmly, “but when you get right down to it, we wanted to see you.”

“We’ve missed you!” said Hermione tremulously.

“Missed me, have yeh?” snorted Hagrid. “Yeah. Righ’. An’ it’s me own business ‘ow I treat my students in class, I’ll have yeh know.”

Ginny rolled her eyes with a soft snort, but didn’t respond. Ron and the others watched silently as Hagrid stomped around, brewing up tea and serving large mugs to them with his usual rock cakes. Ron noticed that Harry immediately grabbed one and started eating.

Hagrid dropped into his seat with his potatoes and started to peel them rather roughly. “Hagrid,” said Hermione in a soft, timid voice, “we really wanted to carry on with Care of Magical Creatures you know.”

Hagrid snorted loudly and said nothing. Ron sighed and started drinking his tea, letting Hermione do all the talking.

“We did!” said Hermione. “But none of us could fit it into our schedules!”

“Yeah. Righ’,” said Hagrid again.

Just then, there came a funny squelching noise from a large barrel in the corner. Ron quickly vacated his seat at the sight of the foot-long maggot-looking things inside; they were slimy, white, and writhing. Thankfully, these turned out to only be large maggots that Hagrid was planning to feed to Aragog, the giant talking spider that Ron and Harry had only just managed to escape from their second year at Hogwarts. He was ill, possibly dying, and Hagrid was utterly distraught at the prospect, bursting into tears as he explained what was going on.

Ron knew he ought to be sympathetic to Hagrid’s plight, but given that spiders were his greatest fear, well… Hagrid seemed to cheer up after Hermione and Ginny spoke soothingly to him, Hermione going so far as to ask if there was anything they could do to help.

Like Ron would ever want to help out a spider. The only good spider was a dead spider, as far as he was concerned.

“I knew yeh’d all have a difficult time fittin’ me into yer schedules,” Hagrid finally allowed after he’d calmed down. “I jus thought maybe yeh preferred Professor Grubbly-Plank.”

“Absolutely not,” said Ginny firmly, shooting Ron a look when he let out a disbelieving cough. “Her classes are positively boring compared to yours, especially when you’re on point and enthusiastic!”

She kept up a steady stream of encouragement, Harry and Hermione easily joining in while Ron did so reluctantly, and when they left at dusk, Hagrid cheerily waved them off, looking every bit the cheerful half-giant they’d known for so long now.



Ginny couldn’t help but notice the way Cormac McLaggen had to try two times to get through the doors to the Great Hall. Ron guffawed loudly as this before entering the Great Hall, but Ginny’s eyes narrowed suspiciously. She looked up at Harry, and he nodded at her silent question, catching Hermione by the arm and holding her back.

“What?” she snapped defensively.

“If you ask me,” said Harry quietly, “McLaggen looks like he was Confunded this morning.”

“You were the closest to him in the stands during his trial,” added Ginny softly.

Hermione blushed. “Yes, it was me,” she admitted in a whisper. “But you should have heard the way he was talking about Ron and even you, Ginny!” She scowled. “Anyway, he’s got a nasty temper, hasn’t he, I was only doing you a favor in the long run.”

“Fair enough,” said Harry. “But wasn’t that dishonest, Hermione? I mean, you’re a prefect, aren’t you?”

“Oh, be quiet,” Hermione snapped.

“What are you lot doing?” demanded Ron, reappearing in the doorway.

“Nothing,” said Ginny quickly, grabbing Harry’s hand and pulling him forward. “You’d better eat quickly, Harry, your detention with Snape isn’t too far off now.”

Harry groaned. “Don’t remind me,” he said, stomach audibly growling as they set off for Gryffindor table.

Suddenly, Professor Slughorn appeared, blocking their path.

“Harry, Harry, just the man I was hoping to see!” he boomed genially, twiddling the ends of his mustache and puffing out his enourmous belly. “I was hoping to catch you before dinner! What do you say to a spot of supper tonight in my rooms instead? We’re having a little party, just a few rising stars, I’ve got McLaggen coming and Zabini, the charming Melinda Bobbin – I don’t know whether you know her? Her family owns a large chain of apothecaries – and Miss Granger, Miss Weasley, I do hope you would both do me the favor of coming along, as well!”

He acted as though Ron were invisible, something Ginny knew was likely to put Ron in quite the mood.

“I can’t come, Professor,” said Harry quickly. “I’ve got a detention with Professor Snape.”

“Oh dear!” said Slughorn, his face falling comically. “Dear, dear, I was counting on you, Harry! Well, now, I’ll just have to have a word with Severus and explain the situation. I’m sure I’ll be able to persuade him to postpone your detention. Yes, I’ll see you three later! Eight-thirty on the dot!”

He bustled away out of the Hall.

“He’s got no chance of persuading Snape,” said Harry the moment Slughorn was out of earshot. “I’ve never known him to postpone a detention for anything.”

“You could be dying in the hospital wing and he’d still turn up, demanding your presence,” agreed Ginny with a scowl.

“Sirius was right, though,” said Hermione, “about his interest in you.”

“And I’d do my best to put up with it if I could,” Harry sighed, “but it’s out of my control this time.” He led the way to the table so they eat dinner before returning to their common room, Hermione snagging an abandoned copy of the Evening Prophet when they found a group of chairs to sit down in.

“Anything new?” asked Harry.

“Not really…” Hermione had opened the newspaper and was scanning the inside pages. “Oh, look, Mr. Weasley’s in here – he’s all right!” she quickly added at the alarmed looks on Ron and Ginny’s faces. “It just says he’s been to visit the Malfoys’ house. ‘This second search of the Death Eater’s residence does not seem to have yielded any reults. Arthur Weasley of the Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counerfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects said that his team had been acting upon a confidential tip-off.'”

“He must mean that conversation Harry and I had with him and Sirius the night before we left for school,” mused Ginny. “Sirius said he’d do what he could from outside Hogwarts to figure out what’s going on – maybe we should ask him if he knows more about this.”

“We can ask in the morning,” said Harry. “But if there was nothing at his house, is there any way he could have brought whatever it was he wanted at Borgin and Burkes’ here?”

“I don’t see how,” sighed Hermione. “You saw Filch confiscating that shrunken head from Crabbe the night of the Opening Feast. The Secrecy Sensors do a good job of catching anything that’s dark.”

“Not to mention he said all the owls are being checked, too,” added Ginny.

“I’ll do some more research,” said Hermione, “but I think whatever it is Malfoy’s working on, it must already be here somehow.”

The thought wasn’t pleasant to consider. Hogwarts concealed so much within its walls as it was, after all.

“Harry?” said the new Chaser, Demelza Robbins, appearing suddenly at Harry’s shoulder. “I’ve got a message for you.”

“From Professor Slughorn?” asked Harry, sitting up and looking hopeful.

“No… from Professor Snape,” said Demelza. Ginny barely stopped herself from groaning out loud. “He says you’re to come to his office at half past eight tonight to do your detention – er – no matter how many party invitations you’ve received.”

“Not surprising,” muttered Ginny.

“Thanks, Demelza,” sighed Harry, and Demelza hurried off to her friends as he slumped against his chair again. “Mind playing up how much I regret missing this stupid party so Slughorn keeps trying to get his hands on me?” he said to Hermione and Ginny. “Only it’s for a secret mission I’m not privy to just yet.”

Ginny patted his hand sympathetically. “I’m sure it’ll be plenty boring,” she said honestly. “The train ride wasn’t exactly the most thrilling experience, after all.”

“At this point, just about anything is better than being stuck alone with Snape,” said Harry grimly. “Apart from Monday night, I’ve yet to really be alone with him, especially knowing everything I know now.” Ginny watched as he glanced at Ron, only to realize he was staring absently at Lavender. “All right, Ron?”

“What?” said Ron, starting a bit as he looked around. “Oh er, yeah. Just – tired, I suppose. I’ll just head off to bed early.” He quickly rose and left, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny staring after him.

“What’s gotten into him?” said Ginny, frowning.

“Oh, I think that – that he’s upset Slughorn invited all of us to his party and completely ignored him,” fretted Hermione.

“But there’s usually some kind of outburst when he gets jealous like that,” said Ginny, still frowning at the stairs to the boys’ dormitories. “Maybe he’s finally growing up.”

“This sort of thing usually puts him in more of a foul temperament, though,” said Hermione. “I shudder to think what he’ll be like in the morning.”

Ginny nodded. “He does get rather touchy about this kind of thing,” she agreed. “Famous best friend, brightest witch best friend, annoyingly talented sister…”

“Just – give him some space to work it all out,” Harry quietly offered. “He wants to be better.”

“And how would you know that?” asked Ginny, blinking in surprise.

“We do have actual conversations about things other than Quidditch, you know,” said Harry with a smirk.

“That can’t possibly be true,” laughed Ginny. “When?”

“You and Hermione were helping your mum in the garden, and Ron and I talked about – something else,” he finished lamely, suddenly looking as though he regretted saying anything at all.

Ginny raised her eyebrows and Harry flushed. “I’m going to have to start guessing at what the topic of conversation was,” she told him with a sly smile. “I don’t think it was about me and you, because we already know Ron’s stance on us… was it about Phlegm?”

“Not telling,” said Harry firmly.

“So probably a bit about her,” said Ginny, “especially given the way Ron acted like such a prat in her presence… does he fancy someone?”

“I don’t want to be late to Snape’s detention,” Harry said quickly, rising with a slightly panicked expression. “You know he still likes to take points off me whenever he can, and I don’t want to give him a reason for it again.”

“But there’s still twenty minutes before –” started Hermione.

“He does fancy someone!” said Ginny delightedly. “You’ve got to tell me who it is!”

“Even if there was someone he fancied,” said Harry, “there’s no way I’d betray his confidence on the matter. Besides, you two don’t want to miss out on Slughorn’s little party,” he added, backing toward the portrait hole. “Don’t forget to make it sound like I really regret missing it.”

Ginny rose and quickly caught up to him. “It’s Hermione, isn’t it?” she whispered as she pulled Harry close before kissing him. Harry blinked bemusedly at her when she pulled away, and she knew she was right. “Good luck in detention,” she said in a louder voice. “I love you, Harry.” One last quick kiss, and she was heading back to Hermione with a knowing grin on her face.

“What?” Hermione asked her as Harry paused, blinked, and then left the common room.

“Nothing,” said Ginny airily. Ron secretly fancied Hermione, after all! She knew she was going to have to carefully orchestrate things so they could get together and ease the tension she knew everyone could feel between them. Hermione frowned at Ginny, but then shook her head and buried herself in the Evening Prophet again.

“Ginny?” It was Dean, and he was looking bothered about something. “Can er, can we talk? Privately?”

Ginny crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows. “I’m quite comfortable where I am, Dean,” she said. “Public places are usually the perfect place for uncomfortable conversations, wouldn’t you agree, Hermione?”

“Oh yes, perfect location,” said Hermione absently as she turned a page of the newspaper in her hands.

Dean frowned a bit. “Look, this is really awkward for me –”

“Probably,” Ginny cut him off, “but I’m sure I can think of ways to make it much worse if needed.”

“You’re really not making this any easier,” said Dean in annoyance. “I wanted to apologize!”

Ginny gazed up at Dean and said nothing, waiting to hear what he had to say.

Dean sighed and scratched at the back of his head. “Look,” he finally said, “I thought you were interested in me at the end of the last school year. We were getting on really well, and I thought – but then overnight, you’re suddenly with Harry, right? Only I’d never seen any signs he was interested in you, and I’ve just been so baffled by what changed.”

He paused, almost as though he expected Ginny to speak up now, but she maintained her silence, waiting to see what he’d say next.

“I asked Harry on the train what happened,” Dean told her. “He said he’d always noticed you, but it took a sort of ‘hard knock’ to realize why, but I – well –” He broke off stiffly and glanced around the common room.

“I’ve been a right prat about this,” he admitted quietly. “Harry’s obviously been through some hard things lately, but when he’s with you…” Dean sighed. “Harry told me you are the best thing that’s ever happened to him.”

“He told you that?” said Ginny, surprised and pleased all at once.

Dean nodded. “And it’s obviously true.” He smiled sadly. “Look, I’m probably always going to wonder what might have happened if we’d been together, but it’d be stupid of me to not want Harry or you to be happy. And you are happy with him, and he’s happier than I’ve ever seen him, so… well, I’m really sorry about the way I’ve been acting the last couple of weeks.”

Ginny smiled sadly. “It’s not really me that you need to apologize to, Dean.”

“I know,” said Dean quietly. “First chance I get, I promise I’ll make this right.” He stuck out his hand. “Friends?”

Ginny took his hand and shook it firmly. “Friends,” she replied, then glanced at her watch. “We’d better get going, Hermione, Harry’s counting on us to pass on his remorse about missing Slughorn’s dinner party.” She said farewell to Dean, and then she and Hermione set off, hoping that Harry’s detention wasn’t the complete disaster she feared it might be.
Reviews 220
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear