Search:

SIYE Time:8:18 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


I Saw Her Standing There
By Gin110881

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:None
Genres: Fluff, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG
Reviews: 29
Summary: A lonely man wants to spend the evening of his birthday with a few pints in his favourite pub when ...
** Harry never went to Hogwarts ** Inspired by the Harry/Ginny Birthday Challenge of the Harry and Ginny Discord. **
Hitcount: Story Total: 14920; Chapter Total: 1421
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
My thanks go to Gryffindorhealer for his kind help in making the chapter better readable.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Wednesday, August 11th 2004

One year later…

The sun was high over the Burrow when Harry walked up the path from Apparition Point with bouncing steps. He looked up at the fleecy clouds that sailed across the blue sky, providing some shade every now and then. He was early, and a roguish smile was plastered on his lips as he imagined Ginny's surprised face when he turned up.

It was her birthday, and they had both a day off. After sleeping in, Harry had taken the opportunity to thoroughly congratulate Ginny before she left to help her mother prepare her birthday dinner. What Ginny didn't know, however, was that her mother and Harry had planned a party for the afternoon and that it was Harry's job to keep Ginny away from the Burrow until her guests arrived. Because of this, Harry was a bit early, and Ginny wasn't expecting him until dinner.

He snuck through the back door into the kitchen, where Molly was standing at the kitchen table, kneading a dough. She gave Harry a friendly smile and nodded toward the stairwell. "She's up in her room."

Harry nodded in return and thanked her softly. He walked up the stairs to Ginny's room, carefully avoiding the creaking steps. The door to Ginny's room was open, and Harry cautiously glanced inside. Ginny stood on a chair, stretching out to the top of her wardrobe, rummaging with boxes.

"Can I help?" Harry asked, a bit louder than necessary.

"Merlin," Ginny gasped, "you scared me to death."

" No," Harry grinned mischievously." Wrong guess. I'm Harry. "

"Git!" replied Ginny, still trembling a bit in shock. She hopped off the chair and pushed it back to her desk. "Why are you sneaking up on me? And what are you doing here? You said you'd come later."

"I never said that," Harry replied with an innocent look. "You thought I'd be here later. And, being a good boyfriend, I never disagree." Harry chuckled. "I'm here to invite you on a birthday walk."

"I would like to," said Ginny, sighing. "But I must help mum with dinner."

"And your mother said that you should enjoy your birthday and that it is my job to make sure you do."

"Really?" Ginny eyed him sceptically.

"Yes. Really. She asked me during dinner last Sunday." Harry hesitated briefly and then shrugged. "Okay, okay. I admit it was me who asked her if it was okay to drag you away today." When Ginny arched her eyebrows, he raised his hand. "And your mother loved the idea. She even insisted that we do something together."

"Oh, Harry," Ginny shook her head. "What should I do with you?"

"That's easy," grinned Harry. "Just love me."

"That I already do." Ginny snorted, throwing her arms around Harry's neck. "And since you obviously still doubt it after what we did this morning, I'll make sure to prove it again tonight."

"I would never doubt you," Harry said with a soft voice, pulled Ginny closer and kissed her on the lips. "But tonight, it's my turn to please you."

Ginny's eyes lit up. "Why don't we just skip the birthday dinner and you start right away?"

Harry laughed. "No chance, your mother would kill us."

"We could be back for dinner," Ginny pouted.

"Sorry, luv. I've already planned something else. Let's walk to the bench on the hill. You told me about it and the beautiful view from there, but I've never been there."

Ginny bit her lower lip as if contemplating the idea and slowly nodded. "Yeah, sounds like a good idea." With a mischievous smile, she added. "Well, it's only the second-best idea. But a poor girl has to take what she gets."

"Oh, I'm hurt," Harry tried to joke. He had been working towards this day for weeks, hoping a walk with Ginny would be the right idea. And now, he suddenly felt a bit - anxious. "But it's good to know that you think taking a walk with me is not a bad idea."

*** Ginny & Harry ***


"What's going on? You're so nervous?" Ginny asked, eyeing Harry suspiciously as they slowly walked up the path behind the orchard to the small hill, enjoying the coolness in the shade of the trees.

"Nervous? Me?" Harry replied, secretly acknowledging that Ginny was right. He was nervous. Has been for days.

"I just want to make sure you have a nice birthday," he said, giving her a charming smile.

Ginny snorted with a look that clearly told him that she wasn't to be fooled. "It's okay if you can't tell."

"Oh, you'll find out soon," said Harry with a crooked smile as he paused briefly to take in the beautiful view when they emerged from the trees. He led Ginny the few yards to a bench that stood on the top of the knoll.

"You were right, it's a beautiful piece of earth. I love it," he said, looking about while Ginny made herself comfortable on the bench, snuggling closer to him.

"When we were kids, we've often been up here. Every Sunday afternoon, Mum and Dad went for a walk, which usually led up here. And of course, we kids had to go, too. Well, usually just Ron and me, and, when they were still younger, Fred and George. Dad built the bench here because he loves the view of the Burrow from here."

"Yeah, I can imagine that it must feel good to see the Burrow without hearing all the rumpus," Harry chuckled.

"And here I thought you liked the rumpus," replied Ginny, giving him a nudge in the rips.

"Oh, I do," said Harry, leaning his head against hers, breathing in the scent of her hair. "But I can imagine that your parents would love to spend a few moments without all the hassle."

Harry let his gaze wander from the Burrow along the river down in the valley and over to the village of Ottery St Catchpole. His eyes paused at the slightly higher mountain at the other end of the village. "What's the name of this mountain over there?"

"That's Stoatshead Hill. In a side valley at the foot of the mountain is the Lovegood House, where Luna lives. By the way, we travelled from Stoatshead Hill to the Quidditch World Cup 10 years ago. Our portkey was deposited there. We had to leave early, at five in the morning, to be there on time." Ginny giggled, obviously remembering something funny from back then.

"You've been to the World Cup? You never told me about it? I was there too. Somehow, Sirius managed to get tickets for Remus and me; he went as Snuffles." Harry said, laughing, relieved that his initial nervousness was gone. He pulled Ginny closer to him and inhaled the floral scent of her hair. He loved that fragrance. He loved this woman.

"Ginny?" He said softly.

"Harry?" he heard her soft giggle.

"What do you want to do when you’ve finished your apprenticeship in December?" Harry asked. He gently stroked her cheek and looked into her eyes.

"I hope to get a job at St Mungo's," she replied. "Healer Weasley. That's what I dreamed of for years. Why do you ask?"

"I've been thinking a lot lately." Harry gave her a shy smile. "And I think Healer Potter would sound good, too. What do you think?"

Ginny raised an eyebrow and looked at him, confused. "I thought you were happy with your job? You are independent and have no set working schedule. As a Healer, you have to work in shifts."

"It's not about me," said Harry quietly.

Ginny gave him a confused look. "How can I...?"

Harry reached into his pocket to check if the small box was still there. He slid off the bench and knelt in front of her.

"How about you become Healer Potter for me?"

Harry held his breath when he saw her confused look.

"Please marry me?" he blurted out. His heart pounded in his chest as so many different emotions seem to flash over her face - confusion, disbelief, understanding and finally - a smile and tears shot into her eyes.

"Healer Potter doesn't sound too bad, does it?" Harry muttered. "Maybe not as good as Healer Weasley, but ..." He nervously pulled the small box out of his pocket and opened the lid, revealing a gold ring that's curved half bezel setting was wrapped around a beautifully cut emerald diamond.

"Oh, Harry. That's beautiful," Ginny gasped, wrapping her arms around his neck. "I've been yours from the moment I set my eyes on you for the first time."

"I take that as a yes," Harry grinned sheepishly. "Let me put the ring on your finger before I drop it and it gets lost somewhere in the grass."

Giggling, Ginny took her arm from Harry's shoulder and held out her hand. "It's beautiful," she whispered, admiring the ring on her finger.

"With the Potters, it's a family tradition for the mother's engagement ring to be passed on. But my grandma has already worn it, and probably her mother too," Harry said embarrassed. "I thought you should have something new and stylish, and not such an old-fashioned rock."

"Oh, Harry. It's really beautiful. But for you, I'd also wear a barbed-wire ring." Ginny blurted and pulled him into a passionate kiss. Harry, relieved that the doubts of the past weeks were finally gone, simply surrendered to her kiss.

A blissful eternity later, when the lack of breath forced them to break apart, Harry grinned crookedly and asked, still breathing heavily, "Do you want to tell your family right away, or wait for someone to notice?"

Ginny laughed. "As much as I want to show off this beautiful ring, I think waiting is more fun." She looked in his eyes. "Though, I don't think it'll be a surprise."

"Why not?" Harry asked, perplexed.

"Ever since Christmas, the first thing my mother does when I come home is looking at my hands. Very subtle, of course." Ginny laughed. "And ever since Ron and Hermione got engaged, she asks me at least once a month if we already talked about marriage - since we practically already live together, as she always, not so subtly, points out."

"Oh," Harry said with sagging shoulders. "I'm sorry I made you all wait."

"Nah, it's perfect. I love you even without the ring." She laughed, glancing at the glittering piece of jewellery on her finger. "Of course, it is much better with the ring. Now I finally can call you mine."

Harry took a deep breath and gave her a smile, shrugging. "I thought today would be the perfect day. It was exactly one year ago that we met for the first time."

"The first time we met was on your birthday," Ginny reminded him.

"That doesn't count. We didn't kiss on my birthday," Harry replied. "I only ogled you when I saw you standing there."

"Oh. I almost forgot," Ginny said with a mischievous grin. "Since we're talking about anniversaries. How do you plan to celebrate next Sunday?"

Harry raised an eyebrow. "Sunday?"

"On Sunday it will be exactly one year since I seduced you and had you starkers in my bed for the first time."

"Oh, yes. I remember." Harry chuckled. "But it was my bed."

"Doesn't matter," Ginny replied. "It's our bed now. And I insist that we celebrate this anniversary. In our bed. Starkers."

"No Sunday Weasley Dinner?"

"Nope."

"What do we give as an excuse?" Harry asked.

"Oh, I'm sure you'll come up with something," said Ginny.

"Why..." Harry started

"That's your duty as my fiancé." Ginny raised her hands apologetically with an innocent look.

"Okay," replied Harry. "And what is your duty as my fiancée?"

"I'll show you next Sunday." Ginny wiggled her eyebrows ambiguously.

"You're a little minx," laughed Harry.

"And here I thought you knew that before you asked me to marry you," Ginny grinned.

Harry glanced at his watch and was surprised that it was already late. "I think we better go back before they send out a search party."

"Yeah," Ginny agreed, raising her hand to admire her ring. "I'm curious who will be the first to notice."

*** Ginny & Harry ***


As they stepped out of the orchard into the backyard of the Burrow, a crowd of people was already waiting for them, bustling around a long table set up in the shadow of the house. Besides her brothers and their families, Ginny recognized the Lupins, deep in conversation with her father and her brother Bill. Hermione, who sat next to Luna and Demelza, noticed them first and called something across the table obviously to announce their arrival.

Teddy let out a cry of joy and ran towards them with Victoire in tow. "Auntie Giiinie! Happy Birthday."

Ginny knelt down and hugged the boy. "Thank you, Teddy. I'm glad you came to visit me for my birthday. "

"Happy birthday, Aunt Ginny," Victoire called enthusiastically.

"Thank you, darling," replied Ginny, taking the girl in her other arm and hugged both kids firmly.

Ginny glanced at Harry beseechingly as the crowd of her nieces and nephews ran towards them. "It is your duty to help me."

"Oh," laughed Harry. "Just like you did last week for my birthday when you almost laughed your head off when the kids nearly crushed me."

"Last week, we weren't engaged yet," huffed Ginny softly, making sure no one could hear her.

"Okay, okay. I don't want to be like that. "Harry laughed. "Listen, children. I have a box of chocolate candies for each of you. Everyone's following me. But there is no pushing. There is a box for each one of you."

Ginny laughed and shook her head as the kids all ran to Harry. "Come on, I'll go with you," she said to Teddy and Victoire and took the children by the hand - just to look up in surprise when the guests began to sing.

"Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday dear Ginny, Happy Birthday to you!"

With a deep red blush, Ginny looked Harry in the eye. "Is this your doing? My brothers have never sung a song to me."

"Oh," Harry grinned confidently. "I have my ways."

"How did you...," Ginny began but was distracted as her guests lined up to congratulate her.

Luna, one of the first well-wishers, smiled at her. "I'm happy for you, Ginny."

Hermione followed Luna's eyes and squeaked, "Ginny, why didn't you tell us..."

"Hermione, slow down," Ginny laughed. "How should I? It's only been half an hour ago.”

"What was half an hour ago," asked her mother, who just walked out of the back door, hovering half a dozen pots with the birthday dinner in front of her. She placed the pots on the table and gave Ginny a questioning look.

With a big grin, she held up her hand and showed the ring around for everyone to see. "I got a fiancé for my birthday."

"Ginny, dear. This is wonderful," Molly exclaimed, rushing over to hug her. "Oh, my dear. This is wonderful news." She let go of Ginny and eyed her from head to toe.

"Hey, mum. I'm not pregnant," Ginny exclaimed.

"I didn't say anything," her mother raised her hand defensively.

With a brief glance at Harry, Ginny said, "Don't expect grandchildren from us. At least not in the near future."

When her mother turned to Harry to hug him and welcome him to the family, Ginny proudly showed her engagement ring to the other guests. Her birthday seemed forgotten - and Ginny didn't regret it for a moment.

Fred and George approached her, their eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Did Ginny ever mention her childhood crush, Harry?" George asked with a wicked grin.

"When we were little, and you insisted that you would marry the famous Harry Potter, we only laughed and never thought it would happen," exclaimed Fred. Shaking his head, he gave Harry, who had just stepped beside Ginny, an approving look.


Harry raised his eyebrows and looked at Ginny.

She cocked her head and asked in a teasing voice, "I thought you were the one with the childhood crush?"

Harry looked at her in confusion, "Me?"

Ginny giggled. "Someone I absolutely trust told me that he always pestered Dumbledore with questions about a particular girl."

Harry laughed. "Ah, you mean this fiery red-headed girl who later became the Gryffindor Quidditch captain?" Looking at George, he nodded. "Yeah, she's right. Though I wouldn't call it childhood crush. I admired her. I'd just learned about the things that were waiting for me and started training when Dumbledore told me about her. She gave me hope that Voldemort can be defeated."

George looked confused. "So, you knew each other?"

"No," Harry sighed. "But it makes me wish that I'd attended Hogwarts and maybe met her." He looked at Ginny, grinning. " Maybe I would've been the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain."

Ginny raised her chin. "Dream on, Potter. You don't get that position only for your good looks, you have to fight for it."

"Oh, I can be very persuasive if I want to," Harry replied.

"Yeah, right." chuckled Ginny. "I almost forgot. You still wanted to tell me how you made these people serenade me?"

Harry laughed. "Do you remember Friday night when I went to the pub with your brothers? I won the wizarding darts tournament and had one wish free," Harry revealed.

"And you thought my brothers singing Happy Birthday for their sister was an embarrassing enough price?" Ginny snorted, shaking her head.

"It could have been worse," interjected George.

"Yeah," Harry confirmed with a smug grin. "But they refused to perform a dance dressed as ballerinas. Singing happy birthday was the compromise."

Ginny shook herself with laughter as her mother clapped her hands and called everyone to order. "Sit down, everyone, the birthday dinner is ready."

*** Ginny & Harry ***


Ginny sat down at the head of the table next to her father. Glancing at Harry, she tapped the chair next to her. Harry, taking the hint, sat down, and reached for her hand.

When everyone was seated, and the chatter slowly quieted, Ginny got up and cleared her throat. "I would like to thank you all for coming to my birthday party." With a brief glance at Ron, she continued, "I don't want to bore you with a long speech, as you are certainly all hungry. So, just tuck in!"

"Ginny. Is it true that you're engaged?" someone called from the other end of the table. Harry leaned forward and recognized Percy's wife, Penelope.

"Oh, yeah. Harry asked me if I want to marry him," Ginny replied, raising the hand with the ring, a broad smile on her face. "And as you can see, he gave me an engagement ring, which means that I said yes."

Grabbing Harry's arm to pull him up from his chair, she kissed him hard, ignoring the whistles and catcalls of her brothers.

"Good luck, Potter," one of the twins called, probably Fred, as Harry noticed out of the corner of his eye. "You've got your hands full now."

Ignoring the comment, Harry sat down and glanced over the table at his soon-to-be mother-in-law who gave him a warm smile. "Have you already talked about the wedding date?"

"No, mum. We haven't ..." Ginny began but was interrupted by Harry.

"Not before December," he said, glancing at Ginny who gave him a puzzled gaze. "Becoming healer Weasley has been your dream for so long. I just can't deny that. I think we should get married after you finished your apprenticeship."

"Oh, Harry. That was before I met you," Ginny said, reaching for Harry's hand. "I would marry you on the spot."

"That would be a bit early," interjected Molly. "There are still things to prepare."

"How about September?" Ginny replied, squeezing Harry's hand. "The weather would still nice, and we could celebrate here at the Burrow." Looking at her mother, she asked, "Is that too early?"

"That seems a bit early, too. But since you're obviously in a hurry, we could manage," said Molly with a face as if someone was trying to pull her teeth. "But let's eat now. Otherwise, everything will get cold. And I'm sure you want to open your birthday gifts too, my dear. Unfortunately, we don't have an engagement gift today as we weren't prepared for that."

"That's fine," Ginny replied with a playful grin at Harry. "I already have an engagement gift that I'm going to unwrap tonight."

** The End **


Reviews 29
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear