Search:

SIYE Time:8:50 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


What Really Matters
By Bluest Witch

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 34
Summary: ¨What matters here is that you and I will get bonded for life, and we´ll get to share the moment with the people we love¨

This is the story of Harry and Ginny´s wedding, a spin-off from my first fic, That Look In Your Eyes. Fun, bantering, surprises and a lot of laughs.
Hitcount: Story Total: 19881; Chapter Total: 2062
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Author’s notes: Big day has come! As always, a big thank you to my wonderful Beta Arnel, who is the best, and to everyone who is leaving reviews. You make my days brighter.
Lola Amaya is an OC from my first fic, That Look In Your Eyes. She’s half Spanish and half Welsh, and I was dying to write more about her.
Check my Tumblr account, bluestwitch, for more info, inspiration, etc!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


“Flowers?”

“Check.”

“Chocolate?”

“By the flowers.”

“Champagne, glasses?”

“They’re ready, over on the table. Sobering vials are on the counter, in case you need them too. I nicked a few more from the shop. George won’t mind, once he knows what they’re for.”

“George would’ve replaced them with puking stuff if he’d known what they’re for. Come to think of it, how can I be sure you haven’t done it?”

“And ruin your honeymoon? Please, I’m a prankster, not a complete moron.”

“Now it’s settled: I’m Sneakproofing this the moment you leave.”

“Which will be now, gentlemen: we have a tight schedule to stick to.”

“You two go first, I have to set the barriers.”

“We can do that in seconds, let’s do it and leave together.”

“Not the one I’m going to try.”




oooOOOooo



“Flowers?”

“Check.”

“Something blue?”

“By the flowers.”

“Something new?”

“The sandals, box by the cabinet.”

“Something borrowed?”

“That’ll be my earrings, I’ve got them.”

“Ok, and the dress is old. Pass me the dressing gown, please. Better not let them see it until I tell them everything.”

“Do you want your hair done now?”

“Yes, please. And then… it will be showtime.”




oooOOOooo




The Burrow was splendid, in Harry’s opinion. A complex meteorological charm had been performed by Bill and Charlie to ensure no rain or wind would spoil the day. The chickens had been cooped up, and the garden had been pruned and de-gnomed, but the occasional gnome still could be spotted, and there were no ornamental bushes, only streamers draped over the trees with gold and purple bunting crisscrossing the space between them and the house. Several tables groaned with the weight of a buffet prepared by Molly, and two more stood empty in anticipation of the food and drinks the guests had been asked to bring instead of gifts. Chairs, benches and recliners were scattered around the tables and a big new shiny wireless presided the setting. Though neither as gleaming nor as neatly tidied as in Bill and Fleur’s wedding, he liked it better that way because it reminded him of other summer gatherings, of which Harry had great memories. He recalled both his and Ginny’s seventeenth birthday parties, and smiled as he remembered the latter, when the two of them had had a hard time keeping a straight face every time they caught each other’s eye, trying –and often failing– to contain the stupid, big grin that threatened to betray what they had been doing just before the party. The main difference was that today, he would have to explain to all the guests the exact reason behind the goofy smile he was sure to be sporting. His cheeks were actually beginning to hurt from grinning too widely, and not even a small but nagging worry about Ginny’s family acceptance could put a damper in his mood.

Anyway, it’s Ginny’s job to deal with Aunt Muriel, he thought chuckling to himself. Friends for him, family for her, that had been the deal. That’s why he was standing with Neville and Ron near the gates, inside the protection of the barriers, waiting to greet the guests that would begin to arrive in five minutes’ time via Portkey. As an additional safety measure, the three of them carried ultra-sensitive, professional branch Sneakoscopes and the gates were charmed to remain shut in the event that anyone suspicious tried to cross them. All those precautions were still necessary not because they feared any Dark attack, but to prevent reporters, specifically Rita Skeeter, from entering inadvertently. Harry and Ginny trusted all the friends that had been invited, but there was no telling what lengths Skeeter would go to to grab hold of an invitation.

Ron, however, was optimistic everything was going to be fine. “I told George that now that things look calm, we should diversify the line of defensive products. We worked out how to apply the magic of a Sneakoscope to the invitations; if they pass the test today and no bloody reporters get inside, we could make a range of sneak-proof products, now that people don’t need to defend themselves against Dark magic, but against good old pranks.”

“But wouldn’t it be like throwing stones to your own roof?” Neville asked. “I mean, if you find a way to detect and avoid pranks, it would ruin your business, wouldn’t it?”

“No, if our products are the only ones that could go undetected by then.”

“But then, the sneak-proof stuff would not really be completely proof–

“Oh, stop it, Nev, it’s only something I’ve thought.”

“Brace yourselves, here they come,” said Harry, when a series of blue lights began to fill the land beyond the gates, at both sides of the lane. Soon a crowd of people, old and new friends, Ginny’s teammates and Harry’s workmates, began to line up in front of the gates, between cries of greetings and excited chatter.

Harry opened the gates and addressed the people queuing in front of them. “Welcome everyone! Sorry for the security inconveniences. Please cross the gates one by one. Tables are on your right, leave the food and drinks on the empty ones and feel free to help yourselves to whatever you like. Jordan! Where are you?”

“Right here, mate! Wouldn’t have missed this for all the gold in the world,” said a voice from the back, and people parted to reveal a familiar dreadlocked, beaming face.

“Wireless is all yours, unless you brought music of your own.”

“You know me so well,” laughed Lee Jordan, showing a big, Muggle-looking suitcase that Harry had seen before filled with vinyl discs and a turntable.

“Lee Jordan? Are you the same from Potterwatch?”, cried a voice from the back.

“The one and only. Who wants to know?” Jordan asked.

“My name is David Buhle, and you knew me by Diva Dave at Hogwarts, and I am your unconditional admirer! Make way, please.” The crowd began to murmur excitedly and parted to make a path for Dave, dressed in black fitted trousers and a sequinned black top. “Hi! Ginny invited me,” he said, offering his hand to Lee and Harry in quick succession. “I’m dying to sing for you! Providing this young man wants to help me, of course,” he said, winking an eye to Lee.

“Wow, of course I remember you, you had the best voice, mate! Can’t wait to help!”, said a delighted Lee.

“What are we waiting for, then? Let’s get this party started!”, roared Harry. The crowd cheered in agreement and one by one, began to cross the gates, clapping backs and shaking hands with the three friends. Ron and Neville showed the way to the tables and the garden was soon filled with music, laughs and the sound of conversations. The last guests to arrive were the group of Hogwarts teachers, who had chosen to Apparate or, in the case of Hagrid, travel on the Knight Bus.

“I am certainly getting old for bumpy Portkey landings,” lamented a relaxed looking Professor McGonagall, who was carrying a plate of Scottish cream buns and a bottle of Firewhisky in a basket. “And anyway, I could not risk dropping these,” said gesturing to it.

Harry chuckled and hugged his former professor. “Well, I hope you don’t feel too old to enjoy a good party, Headmistress. Thanks a lot for coming, all of you, it means a lot to Ginny and me.”

“Harry, my dear boy, there’s no way I would have missed it!”, exclaimed a jubilant Slughorn, Banishing a box full of bottles of what looked like mead to the table. Neville coughed to cover a snort. Pomona Sprout turned to look at him with a twinkle in her eyes. “The Auror Office wearing you down, Longbottom? My offer to come and work at my greenhouses still stands, you know.”

“Each day that passes the temptation to accept it grows, Professor,” replied Neville, bowing his head. “But for today, let’s relax and enjoy the party.”

“Bin’ lookin’ forward to it,” declared Hagrid, crossing over the fence instead of through the gates. None of the three Aurors looked troubled by it, because it was impossible that anybody could be Polyjuiced as a half giant. Harry greeted his old friend and peered into the big bowl he was carrying. “Hagrid, how come you didn’t bring your rock cakes? I’m a little disappointed, you know.”

“Oh, shut up, I know tha’ yeh great lumps hated ‘em,” he guffawed. “‘‘Tis an ol’ punch recipe, yer ears will clap when yeh drin’ it, yeh see.”

“That’ll be a sight, a bunch of people with clapping ears,” said Ron amused. “Come on, Ginny should be ready any moment now, let’s join the party.”

He directed the group to the garden, sparing a meaningful glance to Harry, who nodded. “Go ahead, I’ll be there in a moment.” Neville gave him the thumbs up, and Harry turned to look beyond the gates again. He checked his watch: she should be here by now.

“Come on, Amaya, you said you wouldn’t be late,” he whispered through gritted teeth. He squinted his eyes, scrutinising the yard, but nothing happened until two minutes later, when he heard the faintest of a pop noise followed by the buzz of the Sneakoscope. A disembodied voice chuckled from behind the fence and the figure of Lola Amaya, in black leather trousers and a white shirt, was revealed suddenly in front of them. Immediately, the buzz stopped and Harry let out a breath, relieved.

“Couldn’t resist making an entrance, could you, boss?”

“Wouldn’t be me if I hadn’t checked your security measures, niño,” she said unfazedly. She jumped over the fence and chucked a small parcel to Harry, who caught it in midair. “Your order. Fitting charms included and all. Should’ve arrived sooner, but my Nain and Taid made me stay for lunch.”

“You still had time. What kept you back?”

“Hey, a good tortilla de patatas takes its time cooking it,” she said, gesturing to the covered dish in her hand. “Which reminds me, here’s my gift.” She gave him a purple envelope.

“You needn’t to, but thanks. What is it, by the way?”

“Something that will make that honeymoon of yours a little more tasty and glamorous. You will find enclosed directions to my friend Hamish, who lives in Las Alpujarras, halfway between Granada and Almería. He’ll give you a tour of La Alhambra and you’ll stay a night at the Parador. If you fall in love with my hometown, like my mother did, Hamish can help you to find a house, he’s the oldest of the expat wizards in the area.”

“Kind of an interested gift, isn’t it? You’re trying to lure both of us to stay there,” accused Harry with an expression of amused incredulity. “You know, it would be easier if you just stayed in Britain.”

“I’ve given this country a few years of my busy life, but despite all my grandparents’ efforts to make me remain, the sun calls me, niño,” stated Amaya simply. “Gretchen wants us to try Germany, but I know it won’t work for me either. I’ve told her to go back to Spain together, but I can tell she misses her home, too, so… time to close a nice story, I suppose,” she shrugged.

Despite her offhand comment, Harry knew it was going to be hard for her. “I promise I will try to visit often. And I’m going to miss you a lot. Nobody barks orders like you, that’s for sure,” he smirked.

“Now it’s your turn to be the boss, and I swear to God, I’ve trained you well for that. I won’t repeat this, but I am quite proud of you, and I’ll miss you too, hijo de la Gran Camacha!” She punched Harry in the shoulder, her eyes surprisingly bright. “Now, stop being lazy sentimental sods. I have come to a wedding and I’m hoping to get sloshed, dance all night and have my reputation properly ruined. So let’s go and see your gorgeous bride.”





oooOOOooo





“Ginny, the guests have arrived and I can hear them asking for you. It’s time to go down,” said Hermione, peering through the window in her friend’s bedroom. She turned around and looked at her. “Ready to face them?”

“Am I?” Now that the time to reveal their plans had come, she felt nervous, and could not help but wonder if all the secrecy and deviation from traditions were really a good idea, and if her family was not going to feel let down.

She saw Luna stepping in front of her, raising her hand to fix a loose bud in the flower headband she had arranged to hold the hair off Ginny’s face. “I think both you and the whole idea looks amazing,” she said.

Hermione planted herself in front of her, her hands on her hips, in a businesslike attitude. “Ginny, come on, this is not the time for doubts. Are you a Gryffindor or not?”

“Am I?” Her mind seemed to have stuck at the same sentence.

Hermione huffed, exasperated. “Of course you are! Come on, Ginny. You fought a war. You survived attacks and grief. I’ve seen you winning against players that had twice your size or your experience. Do not tell me that now that you’re going to live one of the happiest moments of your life, you’re regretting it in any way or form. Tell me, whose idea was this?”

“Mine,” she heard herself saying.

“Do you love Harry Potter?”

What kind of idiotic question is that?, snapped a voice in her brain. “Of course I do!”

“That’s more like it! Do you want to spend your life by his side?”

“Hell, yes!” A bubbling excitement began to replace the nerves. She could do it. It was easier than scoring avoiding the Arrows Beaters. Much more pleasant than getting up after a Bludger injury. She refused to bring up anything from the war to compare. The past was in the past, and she wanted to embrace her future.

Hermione looked ecstatic: her eyes gleamed, and she seemed ready to punch the air. “So tell me,” she roared, “ARE YOU A GRYFFINDOR OR NOT?”

“I. Bloody. AM!”, screamed Ginny, and Hermione actually punched the air. She made a sign to Luna, who nodded and picked up the bouquets of wildflowers she had made that morning, and opened the door. Ginny took a deep breath, walked out of the room and began to descend the stairs. She crossed the kitchen without looking around and did not stop until she got to the sitting room.

“Okay, you two, let the boys know we’re ready, and call my parents and brothers–”

“What do you want to call me for, dear?”

Molly Weasley could have not appeared quicker if she had been summoned to the room. She was holding a chicken pie, and she obviously had just changed into nicer robes. Actually, Ginny noted, she did not think she had seen before that mint green dress… nor the peacock feather she was wearing in a matching headset, that was definitely new. She narrowed her eyes, cocking her head, and made a sign with her hand to tell her friends to go out. They quickly exited the room, leaving the two witches alone.

“Mum?”, said Ginny uncertainly.

“Oh, honey, I’m so happy for you!” Ignoring the shock that reflected her daughter’s face, she put down the pie she was holding and engulfed her in a hug. Then she released her and tugged at the belt of the dressing gown. “Let me see what you’ve done to my dress.”

“But… but–” spluttered Ginny. Closing her mouth, she swallowed and took off the gown, revealing her mother’s bridal dress in a shorter, summer version: sleeveless and cut just over the knees. But it was the same embroidered tulle, the loose body she loved, and the closer thing to a bridal gown she was thrilled to wear. Veils and trains were simply not her thing, and she hoped her mother, who was currently appraising her at arms’ distance, would be okay with that.

“I’m sorry I had to cut off some of it, Mum, but I promise I will return it to its original state if you want,” said Ginny nervously. Molly just nodded, speechless, and finally, overcome by emotion, pulled her daughter in a tight hug, tears falling down her cheeks.

“It’s your dress now, honey, you can keep it like that, I’m so happy you chose it to wear in your wedding day! I suspected it, you know–” she said, letting go of her and extracting a handkerchief to dab at her eyes, “from the moment I saw it hidden behind the rest of your hangers in your closet. It’s been eons since the last time you borrowed it to play. Then you announced a big joint birthday party for today and I just knew it was an excuse. Your father didn’t believe me, but even he had to admit that you two seemed entirely too cheerful after the terrible accident Harry and Ron had at work. Because that was the turning point, wasn’t it?”

“It definitely was, I mean… both of us had thought about it before, but we hadn’t discussed it yet. However, the joint birthday plan was mine… Mum, are you really ok with all this? Who else knows?”

“I only told your father, because the more people knew it, the greater the risk someone slipped and yes, we are ok with that. Granted, we would have enjoyed a big glamorous wedding like Bill and Fleur’s, but you two wouldn’t. We’re aware that both of you are very protective of your privacy and don’t like big productions, specially Harry, always in the point of view of the press. To be frank, we’re both relieved that you haven’t simply eloped and be done with it. I’m pleased we get to enjoy this day together… after all, you’re my only daughter, but I realised some time ago that you no longer were my little girl.”

“Oh, my goodness, Mum, I’m going to be married.” Tears of finally unrestrained emotion began to roll down her face, and mother and daughter melted in a hug. Ginny felt so relieved and happy that she did not notice that the room was filling with her family, until George clapped and demanded loudly that someone tell him what was going on and why weren’t all out enjoying the party.

Ginny let out a nervous, shaky giggle. “Oh, well, about that… it’s not really a birthday party.” She locked eyes with her father, who beamed first and went to hug her too, while Molly dried his tears away.

“Oh, fantastic, it’s family hugs day,” said George with sarcasm. “Bill, you do Charlie, I’ll do Percy, Angie and Fleur can do it together, and where’s Ron? Come on, let’s get this over so we can go back to–”

“Your sister and Harry are going to marry today,” said Arthur, letting go of Ginny, who noticed then that her father had also dressed more smartly than he would have for a birthday party.

“WHAT???”

The exclamation had been Bill’s, and the rest, save Luna and Hermione, seemed about to voice their surprise too, when, with a big WHOOSH, the fireplace roared with green flames and out of them stepped Aunt Muriel, dressed in purple robes and a hat with a rather ruffled black feather plume. She stood in the middle of the room, brushing ashes off her clothes, and complaining loudly about how the quality of Floo travel had decreased since her youth, oblivious of the fact that all the family plus Luna, Hermione and Angelina, was reunited in front of her.

“I’m telling you, Arthur: I’m going to the Ministry first thing on Monday, and that old blighter at the head of the Floo Network is going to hear me. Clerebold, his name was, wasn’t it, Arthur?”

Arthur cleared his throat. “Erm, yes, but, Muriel–”

“No buts, Arthur; it’s intolerable the amount of ashes one has to put up with, it’s a miracle nobody has perished by suffocation.”

“Indeed, Muriel. It’s only that we have a much more pleasant matter in hands.” Muriel raised her head and stared quizzically at the assembled group in front of her, until she saw Ginny. “Merlin’s beard, girl. Don’t you think you’re overdressed for a birthday? It’s not like it’s your wedding day, you know.”

Ginny let out a nervous giggle. She heard her mother say, “As a matter of fact, that’s what it is, Aunt Muriel. Ginny’s going to marry Harry Potter today, that’s why I invited you. They wanted a small, discreet celebration and–”

“Have you gone completely and utterly mad?”, snapped Muriel. She pointed an accusatory finger to Molly and Arthur. “That’s not how a respectable family does a wedding, hidden like thieves! I see no ring in the bride’s finger! I haven’t heard any engagement announcement! You know what people are going to think, don’t you, young lady? Nice way to disrespect the family–”

Anger boiled inside of Ginny. How dared that old bat to judge them? She was going to reply, but her mother was first. “Times change, Aunt Muriel, and I assure you they mean no disrespect. As for your fears, let me tell you that they are unfounded.”

“Are they?”, asked Charlie. “Because, let’s be honest, first thing we’ve all thought is “Merlin, my sister’s pregnant!”

“How. Dare. You, Charlie Weasley!”, said an infuriated Ginny. “All of you, too! I’m not getting married because I’d be pregnant, because I’m not!”

“Hey, don’t mix me in this, little sis. It’s impossible you’ve been knocked up, given the amount of booze I saw you drinking last Saturday,” pointed George. “As for me, I think it’s a great idea, and I’m sure Fred would be of the same opinion. So what are we waiting for? Let’s do this wedding!”

“Not so quickly, young man!”, cried Muriel. “I must insist that the honour of the family be respected and upheld! I won’t permit–”

“It is not a question of what you would permit, Muriel,” said Arthur softly, but firmly. “Molly and I are the parents, and we couldn’t be happier with our daughter’s decision, which in no way besmirches or defiles our reputation. She’s of age, and she doesn’t need our permission, anyway. Harry has been considered a part of the family for many years, and we are ecstatic to finally be able to call him our son.”

“I, too, will be honoured to call him my brother-in-law, Aunt Muriel,” intervened Percy. “Harry is a very respected member of our society, and I know for a fact that our esteemed Minister–”

The fireplace roared green again, and out of it came none other than Kingsley Shacklebolt, coughing and shaking his hat, that looked covered with soot.

“I’m having a word with Clerebold, the filth in the Network is getting out of hand,” he murmured. He pulled out his wand, waved it and the soot and ashes vanished from his robes and the floor. Kingsley then looked around and became aware that he had just arrived in the middle of a family reunion. “Good evening to you all. I’m sorry I couldn’t come earlier, there was a last-minute call from the Russian Embassy that I had to attend, but now I’m free. Are we celebrating the ceremony inside? I believe Harry said you wanted me to officiate it in the orchard.”

“Well, this is the last straw, really,” huffed Muriel. “Not one of the members of my family have dared to marry in a civil ceremony! You should be ashamed, girl! Without proper engagement! And I wasn’t born yesterday, you’re with child, that’s for sure–”

Ginny saw red. “For the last time, Aunt Muriel…”





oooOOOooo





Even without Ginny, Luna, Hermione and the rest of the Weasley family, who had been called to the sitting room, the party was already in full swing. Lee Jordan had taken possession of the wireless and music blared from it, and Dave was examining the discs and asking him about them. Hannah Abbot was arranging the food she had brought and charming the bottles of mead to float unsupported, helped by an eager Neville. Dennis Creevey, a camera hanging over his chest, was talking to Professor Flitwick about his NEWTs, while Gabrielle, who was staying the summer at Shell Cottage to help with baby Victoire, eyed him with interest from a nearby bench. Hermione’s parents, who had boldly accepted the invitation in an attempt to get more acquainted with magic, were talking to Minerva McGonagall, who was congratulating them for raising a daughter with such high moral values. Andromeda Tonks, who had arrived in the morning to help with the party, was chasing a boisterous Teddy who, at two years old, naturally found that being quiet and well behaved were unnecessary demands. The toddler spotted Harry in the midst of a group of his first Gryffindor Quidditch teammates and ran to him, crashing against his legs.

“Oomph, what do we have here? If it isn’t Mr. Teddy Lupin! Guys, have you met my godson?”, he said, taking him up.

“Ooh, he’s cute,” said Katie. Oliver and Alicia greeted him, and the latter raised her arms to invite Teddy to be held, but he shook his head and cuddled against his godfather, who clapped him in the back.

Andromeda caught up with them. “Sorry, Harry. He’s been asking for you since he woke up from his nap. I’ll take him to the orchard so you can enjoy the party.”

“It’s all right, Andromeda, I can hold him for a while–” he was interrupted by the sight of Ron, giving him the thumbs up. “On second thought, I need to say something, could you please take him back? Come on, Teddy, go with Grandma…”

But Teddy refused to leave Harry’s arms, and Ron’s gestures were more and more desperate, so in the end he gave up. He perched Teddy on his hip, looked around him and located a bench that seemed convenient for his plan. “Wait here, there’s something I need to say.”

He strode to the bench, got onto it, still holding Teddy, and cleared his throat. “May I have your attention, please? I have something to announce.” The buzz of conversations and laughter slowly died as the crowd noticed him in his high position. Neville, who was nearer to the wireless, made a sign to Lee to turn down the music. People exchanged amused glances. “What is it, Harry? Old Vold hasn’t returned, has he?” said a voice from the back, that Harry identified as belonging to Savage, Ron’s mentor.

“Merlin, no, and in any case, we’re off duty.” All laughed, and Harry kept on. “Erm, there’s more than one reason Ginny and I have invited you all today. Yes, it was my twentieth some days ago and Ginny’s nineteen today, but today we also… we wanted to fulfil a dream and share it with family and friends–”

“Puppet!!!” squealed Teddy, pointing to a gnome that was peeking through the branches of a nearby bush. He fidgeted to release himself from his godfather’s hold, so Harry stepped down off the bench and freed him. The toddler gave a cry of delight and set off to pursue the gnome, who jumped in surprise and began to run, zigzagging between the guests, much to the amusement of them.

Harry got on the bench once more and tried to get the people’s attention again. “Erm, as I was saying, Ginny and I–”

“Where’s Ginny, by the way?” asked Gwenog Jones, who was at the front of the group of Ginny’s teammates. “We still haven’t seen her, is she all right?”

“Yes, she’s fine, dazzling, I dare say–” He was interrupted by an almighty shout coming from the house, that made all the people turn their heads. Even Teddy stopped in his chase of the gnome, who took up the chance and dived into a hole in the floor.

“For the last time, Aunt Muriel, I AM NOT PREGNANT!!!

All of Ginny’s teammates spun their heads to glare at Harry, who opened his palms in a gesture of peace. “Hey, you heard her, she’s not–”

“REASON? DO YOU NEED REASONS? I LOVE HARRY AND THAT’S ENOUGH REASON FOR GETTING MARRIED TODAY!” People gasped and stared incredulously at Harry, who laughed.

“Godric, I love that woman, too. And, well, now that my beautiful bride has broken the news for me, I’m pleased to invite you to join us in the celebration of our marriage, which will take place in a few minutes in the orchard. If you will follow Ronald, Neville and me, please.” Someone whooped and the crowd erupted in applause and cheers. Harry got down off the bench and was immediately engulfed by a group of people congratulating him.

“Thank you, thank you, but please wait until after, I’m still single.” The guests surrounding him cackled. A distressed Andromeda appeared suddenly at his side, thrusting Teddy into his arms. “Look after him, I need to get something from home, you can’t get married without it!” And without further explanation, she ran to the gates and Disapparated just out of the limits of the protective enchantments.

“What the…” But he could say no more, because Grace, who shared a room with Ginny at the team’s residence, clapped him in the back. “So you’re finally joining the Harpies family! Ginny says you’re a decent Seeker, can’t wait to be your opponent in our little fun matches after training.”

“Looking forward to playing against you,” said Harry. Minerva McGonagall chose that moment to congratulate him, and then rounded on Grace. “Miss Stewart, as the one that discovered Mr. Potter’s talent for Quidditch, I grant you that he is being modest. Had he not elected to make a career in the Auror Office, rest assured he would be your opponent in many professional games.”

“That good, huh? I do love a good dare.”

“Harry, yeh daft boy! How could yeh say nuthin’? Would’ve worn mine bes’ suit!” Harry turned around, with Teddy in his arms, and saw a frowning Hagrid, hands in his hips, unmistakably annoyed.

“We don’t care, Hagrid, we only wanted to share the moment without fanfare, look at us, in jeans and shirt–”

“Not now that I am here, no,” said Andromeda reappearing in front of him, a hanger with a covered garment in one hand, and her wand in the other, removing ashes from the item. “Salazar’s sake, the Floo’s a nightmare, should’ve Apparated back. Here you go, I should have given this to you months ago, but it kept slipping my mind.”

Harry left Teddy in the floor and took the hanger. He unzipped the cover to reveal an old, navy blue, striped waistcoat that wouldn’t have looked out of place in the seventies. Puzzled, he looked at Andromeda, who had picked up her grandson again, for an explanation.

“Remus had it in his wardrobe, but it wasn’t his, it was your father’s.” Harry gasped and stared at the item with a new reverence. “He said that he had borrowed it for a job interview, and James told him to keep it as long as he would need it. Then they died and Remus preserved it with the idea of giving it to you someday, when you were older, but after school you went on the run, and then…” Andromeda sniffed, and swept a furtive tear from her eye; it was not like her to show her feelings in public, so she immediately recomposed herself. “I just thought you may want to wear it, so you could have something from your father today.”

“Oh, my goodness, Andromeda, this is…” His voice broke, a lump swelling in his throat. Since the engagement, he had thought often of how much he was going to miss today not only his parents, but also Sirius, Remus, Tonks, Fred and many others. Not a day passed without thinking of them in many moments, but today, their absence was harder to bear. He had dealt so far with the dull, deep ache inside him by telling himself that he knew for a fact that those who had loved him had not truly left him, and that somehow, they could see him now and absolutely approved the big step he was going to take. But being presented with something that, like the letter from Lily he had found at Grimmauld Place, had belonged to his father, was proof that he had existed, he had worn it at any point of his life, was too much for him. His vision blurred and he hugged Andromeda tightly, leaving his gratitude unsaid; he knew she valued the gesture anyway. She hugged him back and patted his back, and Harry perceived that she, too, was putting in the hug the words she would not say aloud.

Hagrid, it transpired, seemed to have no qualms against manifesting her feelings, because at the mention of the dead, he had pulled out a tablecloth-sized handkerchief and was sobbing unabashedly in it, while Teddy stared astonished from his grandmother’s arms.

“Gamma no cry. Haree no cry! Big man no cry! Wanna find puppet!” Teddy’s voice broke the awkwardness and solemnity of the moment, and they split up between chuckles, swiping off tears.

“The boy’s right, enough cryin’ fer t’day. Wanna look fer the gnome, Teddy?” Bending down, he offered him his hand, and the toddler took it after a moment of hesitation. They set off together in the direction of the orchard, leaving Andromeda and Harry free to try the waistcoat. It fitted him perfectly and combined well with the jeans and the white shirt. Andromeda took a step back to admire her work, and stood there twirling her wand and biting her lip. “I’ve had an idea, but you tell me if it’s too much, won’t you?”

She waved her wand, conjured a small red lily, and proceeded to put it in his buttonhole. “A red lily,” he heard her saying, “to remember your mother.” His eyes filled with tears again, and only Ron and Neville calling him to come at the front of the assembled crowd, prevented him from succumbing to them.





oooOOOooo





With a complaining Muriel finally acquiescing to attend the wedding, if still with much reluctance, and Ginny’s brothers not objecting at all –though George joked about defending the honour of her sister in an old fashioned way, until her mother cuffed him on the back of the neck– the family eventually began to head to the orchard, but they had to stop in their tracks to let Andromeda, who had exited the fireplace with a garment in her hands, run back to the garden. Just as she was leaving the room, an excited Dave, followed by Lee, entered.

“Quickly, who can make a call through the Floo– Oh my goodness, Ginny, you’re gorgeous! Harry’s pants will melt the moment he sees you, darling, and wait until you see him, your knickers’ gonna fall! I know because mine nearly did.” Ginny gave a great snort of laughter, and Aunt Muriel harrumphed something about scandals under her breath.

“Thank you, Dave, I’m glad you came today. Only family and close friends can use the Floo to make calls to people out of the family, the rest must be accompanied by one of us.”

“Fine. Please, one of you, call for Donnie at Whistler House. We need him here, to boost this party! You should have given me some warning, darling.”

“We didn’t want to go over the board, Dave, just something small and fun.”

“Well, you just got this thing upgraded, dear, I swear people won’t forget this evening in many years to come. Now please somebody call Donnie!”

“I’ll do it,” said George, but Bill stopped him. “Who’s this Donnie? We can’t let an unknown person come here, might be a reporter, or worse–”

“Donnie is neither, you all know him, he’s Donaghan Tremlett, from the Weird Sisters. He’s Muggleborn too, I helped him to hide, and now he’s going to help us tonight. Call him please: Donnie Tremlett, Whistler House.”

George threw a pinch of powder into the fire, and did as he was told. After a minute waiting, a head with vivid long purple hair appeared floating in the green flames. “What is it? Who’s calling?”

Dave knelt before the fireplace. “Donnie! You lazy sod, call the club, tell them I can’t make it there tonight, say I can’t unstick my arse from the loo, puking too, whatever! They’ll manage with Marine and Sasha. Then grab your magical bass and keyboards and come here! You won’t believe where we’re going to play!”

Donnie just stared nonplussed, opening and closing his mouth like a fish out of water. “But Dave, they’re going to complain, and that bass is not tuned–”

Dave made an impatient noise. “Bullshit, Donnie. This is the Weasley-Potter party we’re talking! Get your ass down here at once!”

“Ok, ok, I’m coming!”

“Dave,” said Luna softly, “we must go on, people are waiting. Keep the fire green, so Donnie can cross without trouble.”

“But of course, go ahead. Lee, you’re in charge of the ceremony, put something classical on the turntable, we’ll join you later. Now, go! You have a wedding to celebrate!”




Notes: Nain/Taid are the names given to grandparents in Welsh.
Niño: kid boy.
Tortilla de patatas: potatoes omelette. Forget paella, guys. This is the real Spanish deal.
Hijo de la Gran Camacha: son of the Great Camacha, one of the witches -Las Camachas- featured in Cervantes’ work ‘The Dialogue of the Dogs’. The three Camachas witches lived in my hometown around Cervantes’ time.
The phrase is not meant as an insult. Although hijo de puta (son of a bitch) usually is, in Spain it can be used as an appreciative term, depending on the context. I’m choosing this last instance. Maternity should not be used as an insult.
Reviews 34
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear