Search:

SIYE Time:21:06 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Simply Sunday
By high_lion

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB, First Time for Everything Challenge (2019-2), First Time For Everything Challenge (2019-2)
Characters:All
Genres: Comedy, Fluff
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 10
Summary: Ginny has Sunday lunch at the Burrow without Harry and learns something enlightening,
Hitcount: Story Total: 2944



Disclaimer: Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions in this story are my own and in no way represent the owners of this site. This story subject to copyright law under transformative use. No compensation is made for this work.





ChapterPrinter


Wails echoed through the dark silence in Grimmauld Place. In the bedroom, Ginny got up at once, bleary eyed and trance like, she shuffled across the carpet, grabbed the dressing gown off the back of the ajar bedroom door and continued across the hall into Lily’s room.

On her back, grabbing her feet, Lily gave her lungs a good workout, her dummy lodged against the slats of her crib.

‘Oh little Lily. What’s the matter?’

Ginny reached in and picked her up, instantly quieting LIly’s screams into a mere fuss, and began rocking back and forth. Her humming soothed Lily and soon she felt Lily’s head nestle into her neck.

After a few minutes, Ginny laid Lily down, tucked her under the cover and slipped back out of the room. Down the hall, she checked in on James and Albus in their seperate rooms. Both boys, lay silent, still and peaceful. Almost angelic. Lily snorted at the mere thought, knowing full well in just a few hours they would be riotous at her Mum’s for Sunday dinner.

Ginny crawled back in bed, noticing a sliver of dawn peeking through the curtains. She slammed her eyes shut, hoping the forced darkness would encourage sleep but it was a futile endeavour. The morning light had already banished her sleep for the night.
Sighing she sat up, looking at the empty space on the bed to her left. She slid her hand over the cold pillow.

She wasn’t aware of hot long she spent staring at the bed until down the hall, she heard the click of a door followed by tiny shuffles along her new carpet, until Albus appeared at the doorway holding his blanket. His hair stuck up at angles she dared not really believe were possible, but she smiled at him. She’d always teased Harry by saying that Albus looked more like Harry Potter than Harry actually did.

‘Less the scar,’ Harry would say back to her, smiling contently. Ginny patted the bed beside her, and Albus walked sheepishly up to it and climbed in.

‘Hey, big man,’ whispered Ginny. ‘Can’t sleep?’

Albus shook his head. Ginny wrapped her arm around his shoulders and he relented, easing himself into a cuddle. Ginny kissed his head and leant back, before Albus’ tiny hand found hers resting on her stomach. She let her eyes close for just a moment .....

‘Muuuuuummm,’ came the interruption.

She could feel Albus stirring beside her, and opened her eyes to see his older brother stood at the doorway, arms folded, tapping his feet.

‘Yes, love?’ said Ginny rubbing her eyes.

‘Lily’s pooed,’ said James bluntly. ‘She smells.’

Ginny wiggled out of bed, careful not to disturb Albus, a notoriously light sleeper. She failed, by the time she got to the door he was awake and following her. Ginny stifled a yawn as Albus held on to her gown, and went in to Lily’s room.

‘Lily?’ she shouted, furiously looking around the room for her missing baby.

‘Downstairs, Mum,’ tutted James from the doorway. Ginny could swear he was shaking his head.

‘What’s she doing downstairs?’ replied Ginny, marching out of the room. James and Albus followed her.

‘Built a castle. Needed a princess to rescue,’ shrugged James.

Ginny smiled fondly at her son, before realising something.

‘How did you get her downstairs?’

‘On my horse,’ said James, proudly puffing his chest out. ‘I’m a knight!’

Ginny shook her head in confusion, not knowing which question to ask first, so settling on none at all and began descending the stairs, she turned back at both boys.

‘Careful.’

The boys shared a guilty look before each grabbing the handrail and slowly following their mother downwards. Ginny entered the living room to find a scene of chaos. Lily was nestled atop of a fortress of cushions, pillows and sheets.

James’ toys were strewn in front of the castle, next to what she assumed was James’ horse - which was in fact, Kreacher wearing a cloth for a saddle and some shoelaces around his neck for reins.

James nonchalantly walked over, picked up his shield and sword and jumped on Kreacher’s back.

‘Giggy up!,’ he cried, pointing his sword in the air.

Kreacher sighed exasperatedly. Ginny stifled a laugh, before walking over and picking Lily up. She checked Lily and placed her back down, the baby giggling as she rested back on the cushions.

‘James, Lily is fine.’

‘She smelled.’

‘She doesn’t now.’

‘Good. Princesses don’t smell.’

Ginny looked at Kreacher, who winked back before wincing as James jumped up and down on his back.

‘Giggy up!’

Kreacher began pacing around the room, Ginny let a smile sneak on to her face at the scene.

As Kreacher neared Albus, James drew back his sword.

‘Troll!’ he cried, before softly tapping Albus on the arm.

The younger boy rubbed it, before looking up at his mother for approval. She nodded. He picked up another sword and began charging after James with it, Kreacher being careful to just keep enough inches between the boys. Lily clapped her hands and laughed at her brothers.

Ginny sat down on the couch. She absentmindedly put her hand out on the couch, open palmed waiting for contact that never came. When she realised she withdrew it, stuffing it deep into her dressing gown pocket.

--------------------

Later that day, the fireplace roared into life at the Burrow as Ginny stepped out, Lily on her hip and James and Album holding her tightly. The moment they landed, the boys shot off to the kitchen.

‘Grandma!’ they cried.

Ginny entered seconds later, to see Molly handing out cookies to the boys who shot out into the sunny garden. Molly met her and took Lily off her hands, fussing over the little girl.

‘Do you want a cup of tea, love?’ asked Molly.

‘Ooh, yes please,’ said Ginny, sitting down at the table.

Molly waved her wand at the kettle and looked back at Ginny, a concerned look on her face.

‘Lily still not sleeping through the night?’

Ginny shook her head, yawning.

‘She’ll settle.’

Ginny looked like she believed anything but Molly’s words.

‘Ron and Hermione should be here shortly.’

‘Where’s Dad?’

‘Shed,’ said Molly, shaking her head as Ginny smiled to herself.

James and Albus came running back in, covered in dirt after just a couple of minutes, they charges round the table chanting something about trolls and bridges before running back outside.

Ginny let out a tired sigh, one that Molly recognised.

‘Go and get your head down for an hour love,’ said Molly. ‘I’ll watch the kids.’

‘No, I’m fine,’ said Ginny, stifling a yawn. ‘It’s just, they’re more restless these days.’

‘They’ll be ok, go and lie down for abit.’

‘You sure?’

‘Hurry, before Ron gets here and wakes you up.’

Ginny smiled and headed upstairs to her old room before crashing out on her bed.

--------------------

Her sleep was rudely interrupted by a gentle knock on the door. Hermione’s bushy head peeked around the door.

‘Sorry, Ginny,’ said Hermione quietly. ‘But your mother says food’s ready.’

Ginny frowned, checked the battered watch on her wrist that used to belong to Harry, a present from her parents to him on his coming of age at his 17th birthday. He’d insisted on her keeping it before he left. She’d been asleep for nearly three hours.

She shot up and followed Hermione downstairs.

The kitchen was packed as she entered, Bill and Fleur, Ron and Hermione, Percy and Penelope, Charlie, George and Angelina were crammed around the table. Their combined plethora of kids eating outside under the canopy which was the usual occurrence on a Sunday.

‘Finally, sleeping beauty awakes and we can eat!’ shouted Ron, banging his cutlery on the table.

‘Ronald!’ shouted Molly and Hermione together. Rons ears turned pink and he looked down to avoid their glares. Ginny pulled up a chair and sat.

‘Sorry about that, I’m just so tired at the moment. Lily’s barely sleeping through the night.’

‘I’m sure eet will get better,’ offered Fleur sympathetically.

Molly put out the last of the dishes in front of them and they heartily tucked in to the food.

--------------------

As the meal began to wind down, Hermione leaned over looking down the table at Ginny.

‘Is Lily still teething then?’

Ginny shrugged.

‘I don’t know, we thought she was past it, but she doesn’t seem to settle anymore. She used to sleep straight through.’

Ron made a noise and when everyone turned to him he turned it into a coug, bumping his chest for dramatic effect.

‘Sorry, went down the wrong day.’

Hermione shot him a glare that would stop a thousand Death Eaters then turned back to Ginny.

‘Carry on, Ginny.’

‘She wakes every hour or two at the moment.’

‘Sometimes, when they’re missing a parent, they get restless.’

Ginny shrugged.

‘James and Albus never did though. The odd night maybe yes, but never like this. They always slept straight through.’

Ron made another strange noise, his face going red looking like he was trying to hold a cough in.

‘What’s wrong with you today?’ admonished Hermione.

Ron finally let out the laugh he was holding, and Hermione whacked him on the arm.

‘I’m sorry, ‘Mione,’ said Ron, before looking at Ginny. ‘But honestly, the look on your face is priceless.’

Ginny, Hermione and everyone else looked even more confused.

‘I’m so glad you’re not as clever as you let everyone believe you are.’

Ginny glowered at Ron as he continued smirking.

‘Enlighten us, dear brother,’ she said venomously.

‘It’s just, you really believe James and Albus slept through the night, don’t you?’

Ginny looked innocent when she replied.

‘They did.’

Ron laughed again, heartily.

‘Oh, little Gin Gin,’ said Ron. ‘You never fail to amaze.’

‘You better explain quickly,’ growled Ginny. ‘Or I’ll show how just exactly how much I fail to amaze.’

Ron’s smile dropped.

‘It’s just, well, think of who you married.’
Ginny shrugged.

‘And think of the months after your births. When you had to get up to feed James and then Albus.’

‘I remember them probably a lot more clearly than you do.’

‘Yes, of course, you do,’ said Ron, smugly. ‘The ones Harry had to let you wake up for.’

Ginny’s eyes widened.

‘What?’ she asked.

‘What woke you those times? The baby or Harry?

Ginny furrowed her eyebrows as she remembered.

‘Harry.’

‘Harry used to cast a Muffliato charm on you every night when you went to sleep and only woke you if it was a feed.’

Ginny snorted in disbelief.

‘Yeah, right,’ said Ginny. ‘There’s no way -,’

‘There’s no way, what?’ interrupted Ron. ‘That Harry would do that? Harry, that sacrificed himself when he was eleven, then when he was twelve for you in the chamber and then when he was fourteen and fifteen. Then again when he was seventeen and countless other times since.’

The table was so quiet, even the kids outside couldn’t be heard.

‘Yeah, that Harry wouldn’t do something as selfless as getting up with the kids each night so that his wife could sleep through.’

Ginny bit her lip.

‘It’s Harry, Gin,’ said Ron earnestly. ‘It’s what he does. It’s what I …. did.’

Hermione gasped and reached out to take Ron’s hand.

Ginny sat back shocked. George just shook his head.

‘Nice one. Thank you very much,’ he shouted at Ron, everyone around the table looked at him in shock. ‘Not content with saving the bloody world, you go and have to make us lot look bad too.’

George pointed at himself, Bill and Percy who got the message and looked annoyed. Angelina swatted George.

‘Behave. But seriously, why couldn’t you do something like that?’

‘Hey, we agreed 50/50. Everything down the middle,’ said George seriously, before breaking into a grin. ‘And besides, if I recall, I did a lot of heavy lifting the night Freddie was conceived.’

The table groaned.

‘I’m surprised you remember.’

‘I write them down, everytime we…. you know…..,’ George wiggled his eyebrows to intimate his meaning drawing out more groans from the table.

Angelina covered her face in embarrassment

‘What?’ he cried. ‘They’re for my memoirs. Number 112, Angelina wore the red …..’

Angelina slammed her hand over his mouth to stop him sharing anymore information, Hermione, Percy and Penelope all looked red faced and uncomfortable.

Ron was staring open mouthed before finally spluttering something out.

‘One hundred and twelve?’

‘What can I say?’ said George, smiling and leaning back on his chair. ‘Ladies love a war hero. Ain’t that right, honey?’

He slung his arm around his wife, which was quickly removed.

‘Yeah, well, the war hero can go back to loving himself for the next few weeks. Write that in your diary.'

George pulled a childish face. Molly waved over the coffee and teapots, along with a few scones and biscuits for everyone, who then helped themselves and eventually settled down in a content silence.

Charlie noticed Ginny at the end of the table.

‘What’s up with you?’

Ginny blinked herself out of her daze and looked up.

‘What do you mean?’

‘You’ve just been sat there, smiling to yourself for the last half an hour.’

‘It’s nothing.’

Hermione gave her a pointed look.

‘It’s just, well,’ said Ginny. ‘It’s nice to know that even after all this time, Harry could still surprise me.’

‘I was only away for three weeks,’ said a voice from the door.

Ginny shot up and spun round to see Harry leaning casually on the door frame. She ran over to him and jumped into his arms
before leaning back and kissing him.

‘Mmmmm,’ smiled Harry. ‘I should leave more often if that’s the welcome back I get.’

Ginny slapped him playfully on the chest.

‘I thought you’d be gone another week.’

‘I told you,’ shrugged Harry. ‘The moment I could, I’d leave my team to it.’

‘First time for everything.’

They smiled at each other until Harry looked past her out of the window. She noticed it and let him put her down.

‘Go on.’

Harry flashed a brilliant smile and walked out into the garden which was met with screams of delight by the kids outside.



Reviews 10
ChapterPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear