Search:

SIYE Time:8:36 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Thought or Two
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Mental Abuse
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 87
Summary: Auror Spook Kitty Fawley thought the difficult part of her return to the UK would be getting Sirius out of prison and recovering Harry from his Muggle relatives. Turns out that was the easiest thing she would do. To help them, Kitty will delve into a mystery deeper than any she faced in the field.
Hitcount: Story Total: 134232; Chapter Total: 3581
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone who voted for this story in the recent Silver Trinkets. That it was nominated was exciting, getting honorable mention was great. Thanks to my wonderful beta, Arnel.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 34:
Pleasure, Little Treasure

August 30, 1986

“It’s hardly like the same house,” Narcissa said as she walked through Grimmauld Place with her sister and cousin. “You’ve even managed to get rid of the smell.” Most folks who visited in their childhood were too polite to mention the musty-cloying perfume odor that permeated everything in the house. It was like old gym socks wrapped around roses, or at least that is how James described it the one time he'd come over before Sirius ultimately left his home. The three of them had endured it from birth because living in a house with your extended family wasn't strange enough. Dromy said she was six when she realized everywhere didn't smell foul, just the place they had all grown up in.

“Other than the walls, floors, and stairwells, it really isn’t the same house,” Sirius said. “We took everything down to the framing and started over. It was the only way to get rid of the portrait of mother and the horrid wallpaper.” All three Black children had dealt with the screeching and screaming of Walburga Black at various times over the last six months. At first, Walburga had been kind to Cissy, until she realized that Cissy had left Lucius. The portrait and the wall which held it had been destroyed with a goblin made dagger Sirius found in the junk around the house.

“What happened to the formal parlor,” Cissy asked as she walked into what had formerly been the receiving room.

“I doubted you really wanted the room which had so much dark energy remaining,” Sirius explained. “I thought you’d rather have a solarium for your plants and a potions brewing area. I know you love your plants. Remus had the gardeners at the estate give you cuttings of all the magical and non-magical plants that could survive here.”

"What about the lethal ones? None of this is high enough for Draco to stay out of?"

“They aren’t here, but you know you can Floo call us if you need them,” he answered.

“This is amazing,” Cissy said as she walked about the room. Andromeda and Sirius smiled, happy to see her relaxed and in a place she loved. After a quick turn through the foliage, she came back to her family. “Let me see the rest of it.”

The trio climbed to the first floor, finding the library changed only slightly. The thick, green velvet curtains with the silver stitching had been removed, leaving in their place a royal blue set made of silk damask with flowers on it. The grime had been banished from the windows, and soft light filtered through the creamy sheers. The doxy infestation had gone with the drapes, thankfully.

“I took the Dark magic books out,” Sirius explained. “If we need them, they’re in the Black family vault.”

“No one needs those books,” Dromy stated. They next came to what used to be the ballroom.

“Wait, where is the ballroom?” Cissy asked.

"No one needs a ballroom anymore," Sirius stated. "We don't know enough people to invite to a ball, and the house is too well hidden. I divided it up, I hope you don't mind. If we need to have a ball, we can use Kitty's house, like she does for the Sacred Twenty-Eight Christmas disaster, excuse me, party each year.”

The door they went through had led them to a soft, feminine sitting room. “I thought you might like somewhere you can —” Sirius was interrupted.

“Padfoot, your wife is in labor and has been for hours. I think you should meet us at St. Mungo’s,” the wolf-shaped Patronus announced. Sirius’ cousins watched him pale.

“What do they mean she has been for hours?” he mumbled.

"Sirius, labor is a process," Dromy said with a chuckle. "When it first starts, it's slow and unpredictable. I'm guessing she didn't want you to make a fuss."

“Not make a fuss! She’s having the baby!” Sirius was now hyperventilating.

“Okay, Sirius, come here and sit down,” Cissy said, directing him to a chair. “Dromy, I don’t think he’s in any condition to Apparate to the hospital. I'll Floo back to Fawley House and take care of the boys if you take him to his wife."

"Sounds like a plan," Dromy said. It had been an adjustment to them both, having their sister back, but it made them both happy. Working together like this was exceedingly pleasant. It was like when they were small. Cissy left to go to the fireplace in the lower hall while Dromy helped her cousin to his feet. "Do you need a potion, or are you going to be alright, Siri?”

“My wife is going to have a baby,” he said numbly.

“You’ve known this for a while,” she replied with another chuckle. “Come on, I’ll give you a Draught of Peace on our way out. It should help you to feel more like yourself. Kitty is going to need you."

“Right, she needs me to help her breathe.”

"You're right, she does." She was glad Remus was ready to jump in if needed since Sirius appeared utterly overwhelmed.

*********

Early the next morning, Remus walked down the hall with a bouquet of flowers from the gardens around the property in one hand, and his other held onto Harry's little hand.

"I really like my tee-shirt, Uncle Remus," Harry said proudly. Remus had bought Harry an I’m the Big Brother shirt at a children’s store a few weeks ago. Harry was holding onto the one which stated the little sibling status in a bag he had decorated yesterday. The flowers he and Ginny had picked out together when he’d Floo called to tell her his mummy had gone to the hospital to have the baby. Draco didn’t want to pick flowers, which is why he called Ginny. Sometimes Draco acted like he was too important to do fun stuff. It made Harry feel sorry for him.

“I’m glad you like your shirt,” Remus said. “Which one do you think I put into the bag you decorated?”

"I don't know," Harry answered thoughtfully. "I think I'd like a little sister because Ginny is my best friend, and a little sister would be a bit like Ginny. But, if I had a little brother, he might like the same things I do, like flying and reading. Of course, Ginny flies—even though her mummy doesn't know she flies–and she really likes books."

"Harry, no matter if you have a sister or brother, I think they will love to fly and read. Your daddy is a great flier, and your mummy reads a lot. Children are often like their parents." Remus enjoyed talking with his nephew quite a bit. For only six, he had some astute insights.

"Then, the baby is going to have black hair, because both mummy and daddy have black hair."

"Yes, I think it is fair to make that assumption. Although Mrs. Cissy has blonde hair, and she's Sirius' cousin. Your first mummy had red hair."

"Yes, but I have the same eyes as my first mummy and messy dark hair like my first daddy. I think I'd like the baby to have dark hair, then we will all look like we belong together.”

“Harry, I don’t think anyone who saw you with your mummy and daddy wouldn’t know you were family, because you love each other so much. I think you’ll all love the baby that way too.”

“I know I will,” Harry said confidently. “I’m the big brother. What color do you think the baby's eyes will be? Daddy has grey eyes, and Mummy has blue eyes."

"Babies with pale skin, like Kitty and Sirius have usually are born with blue eyes. The neat thing is that they can change before the baby is one. We will just have to wait to see what color they really are. Okay?"

“Okay,” Harry agreed. “It’ll be like a project for us.”

“Yes, it will be, Harry.”

They came into the room and saw that the single bed had been stretched magically, so it was now a double. Sirius was sitting on the bed next to Kitty. She had dozed off, and Sirius had a little bundle of blankets in his arm. Kitty roused at the noise Harry made, smiling at him when she realized that her little boy was there.

“Hi,” she said a little drowsy still. “I was wondering when my best guy was going to arrive.”

“Isn’t daddy your best guy?” Harry asked, indignant for his father, even if said man wasn’t upset.

“No, he’s my husband,” Kitty explained. “You’re my best guy.”

“So, what do you think? Is the baby a girl or a boy?” Sirius asked as he was unwrapping the baby. When Harry saw the hair, he was excited.

“I told you the baby would have black hair,” Harry said to Remus. When Sirius had the baby completely unwrapped, Harry saw the blue onesie and jumped up and down. "It's a boy! I have a brother! Wait, we have a shirt for him." Harry thrust his little bag at his mother, and she withdrew the matching shirt to Harry's from the bag, proudly stating he was the little brother.

“Are those from our gardens?” Kitty asked, seeing that Remus was arranging the flowers in the provided vase.

“They are,” Harry said proudly. “Ginny helped me pick them out.”

“They’re beautiful, Harry. You’re lucky to have such a good friend.”

"I know I am," he answered. "Can I come to give you a hug?"

"Of course, you can," Kitty answered. "Remus, a hand?" Remus nodded and lifted Harry carefully to sit next to his mummy and look at his little brother.

“What’s the baby’s name? We can’t just call him baby.”

“We thought about naming him John, what do you think?”

“John, like Uncle Remus’ Remus John?” Harry asked.

“Just like Uncle Remus’ John,” Sirius said. “John Antares Fawley-Black.”

“Antares is one of the stars in the sky. I remember learning about that.”

“You’re right, Harry, and there isn’t a single Black family member named Antares, so your brother isn’t named after an awful person,” Sirius said happily. “It took a while to find a star name that we could use.”

“I would have thought you’d want to name him after James,” Remus said softly.

“I have a son named after James,” Sirius answered. “Harry James Fawley-Black. We wanted this son named after you.”

“We couldn’t have done any of this without you, Remus,” Kitty added. “Will you be his godfather?”

“Yes, of course.”

“We have the best family,” Harry said happily as he leaned his head down on his mother’s shoulder.

“You’re right, sweetheart,” Kitty said while stroking his head. “We do.”



Reviews 87
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear