Search:

SIYE Time:14:43 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Thought or Two
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Mental Abuse
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 87
Summary: Auror Spook Kitty Fawley thought the difficult part of her return to the UK would be getting Sirius out of prison and recovering Harry from his Muggle relatives. Turns out that was the easiest thing she would do. To help them, Kitty will delve into a mystery deeper than any she faced in the field.
Hitcount: Story Total: 134249; Chapter Total: 3534
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
I know, you thought I had abandoned things. I didn't, I had Covid 19 and I was sick for 7 weeks. I have only just been able to sit in a chair and write this week. The chapter is unbetaed, so all mistakes are mine. Thanks for sticking with me.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 9:
Master and Servant

By the time Kitty was ready for the day, the kitchen was a mess. Sirius’ Crazy French Toast wasn’t like conventional Eggy-Bread; nothing at all like the cinnamon laden slices of bread drenched in eggs and fried that she loved. No, Crazy French Bread started out conventionally enough, but it was then overloaded with berries, chocolate chips, treacle, caramel syrup, whipped cream and the newest addition of dinosaur sprinkles. Kitty wasn’t sure what to make of the sight before her.

Cheery was standing on a stool, her arms crossed in front of her, staring at Sirius and giving him a powerful glare. Sirius was trying very hard not to laugh in her face. Harry was covered from head to waist in goop of some sort, the general colour was a light-brownish shade and in places, lumpy. Remus was looking sheepishly at her. She was thankful to see a clean spot that had two plain slices on a tidy plate near the stovetop and a small bowl of berries on the counter close by.

“Crazy bread is so good!” Harry muttered with his mouth half-full. “Uncle Sirius needs to cook more.”

“That is doubtful,” Cheery said under her breath. Kitty did laugh at her.

“Harry, Sirius can cook on special occasions, but for the rest of the time, how about having Cheery doing it?”

“Okay,” he chirped happily. Cheery disappeared, most likely going to complain to Rumple. Kitty dove into her breakfast with gusto, going so far as to cool the coffee enough to drink it straight from the pot.

“Here, darling, have a seat,” Sirius said pulling out a chair that was dolloped with cream and caramel.

“Thanks, but no. Please take it for yourself,” Kitty replied, even as she gently bumped Sirius and he fell into the seat, the cream mixture splatting beneath his bum.

“You are so going to pay for that,” he replied with a wink.

“Not right now, I’m not. I need to get into the Ministry.” Sirius’ happy face softened and then disappeared. “I know you don’t want me to go, but I was called in and I have to go. I am going to use my time to my advantage and speak with Minerva and Arthur Weasley about Thursday. I’m stopping at the Longbottom place on my way home.”

“Excellent idea, Kitty,” Remus said. He had begun cleaning up Harry now that he’d finished breakfast.

“What’s Fursday?” Harry asked with a slight lisp caused by the cleaning charm from Remus’ wand.

“It’s your birthday, Harry. You’re going to be five!” Sirius said, quietly saying the charm to remove the gunk from his pyjama bottoms.

“Oh,” Harry said plainly. “Can we play trains?”

“Of course, Harry,” Remus replied. “Aren’t you excited for your birthday? We’re having a party!”

“I’ve never had a birthday. Whenever Dudley had his party, I was sent to Mrs. Figg’s house. She gave me sandwiches and milk when I went there.” The indifferent way Harry announced this unnerved the adults. Kitty was torn, but she needed to leave. Harry would be fine with Sirius and Remus, she attempted to convince herself.

“Maybe the three of you can discuss this while I’m gone today, and we can discuss your plans over dinner tonight?” Kitty said as the last of her breakfast was swallowed. Sirius rose to walk her to the doorway off the side of the house.

“I don’t like you going into the Ministry. Albus and others are liable to accost you; and there will be press!” Sirius attempted to sway her to not going.

“The press would be foolish to approach me, and even if they do, I have no comment. As for Albus, he will undoubtedly approach me, and I have some fine words for him. I will save my best for your trial. Sirius, you don’t need to protect me; I’m capable of dealing with all of this on my own.I must do this, but I’ll come home. Perhaps I will have news about your hearing. Please, don’t worry. Amelia and Minerva will be there with me. I’m not being roped into working anytime soon.” Sirius stared intently at her before he leaned in to kiss her cheek.

“I’ll be here when you get home. I want to hear everything.”

“Fine, you silly, overprotective man. I am an Auror and a spy. I can take care of myself.”

“I know you can,” Sirius said softly. “But the most precious people in my world are in this room. I can’t lose another one of you.” Kitty put her hand on his cheek.

“You won’t, I promise.”

“Good,” Sirius said, taking her hand from his face and kissing her fingertips. “By the way, you look amazing. Very fierce.”

“I know, that’s the point.” Kitty answered before pulling her hand free and walking out the door to Disapparate.

There were several places fine robes could be purchased within the UK. Kitty didn’t often shop at them. Her regulation work robes — the dark grey monstrosity she wore when the entirety of the Security Department was deployed–had been purchased domestically at Tadfit and Twinnings. The durable uniform robes for drills and mandatory practices with the rest of the Aurors were purchased from Madame Malkin. But when Kitty was dressing for herself, she did not shop domestically. The ruby red robes she was wearing today were from Paris and the cut was modest, but dramatic. Kitty had purchased them with the express intent of making a statement when she walked into a room. She thought she’d be wearing them for Sirius’ trial; she wasn’t expecting to have a performance of her own to deal with. The three-inch, red, peep-toe court shoes she added made her even more impressive.

When she entered the corral of desks in the office, it was apparent whatever was going on had everyone on edge. Moments after her arrival Amelia Bones came to her and laced her arm through Kitty’s.

“What is going on?” Kitty asked, witnessing the almost frenetic movement of her co-workers and the buzz of conversation upon conversation gave the room a beehive like quality.

“Intelligence from somewhere on the eastern continent,” Amelia said. Kitty only hummed in response. Her eyes were set on the man coming to speak with her. With a deep breath she straightened her spine and lifted her head high.

“Miss Fawley, or perhaps you go by the more modern Ms now?” Albus asked in greeting.

“I’m rather traditional in that manner, Albus,” Kitty replied unenthusiastically. “I always have been.”

“How is young Harry and your boyfriend?” Albus asked dourly. He was not happy at how Kitty had physically altered by his presence. Everyone who knew Kitty was aware the icy exterior she wore masked a warm, loving person; Albus had never encountered it directed at him.

“Harry is doing wonderfully,” she replied. “He’s flourishing around his family. Sirius isn’t my boyfriend, but he’s recovering as well. What he endured in Azkaban was inhumane.”

“He’s not? Then why did you —”

“You aren’t really going to pose that question, are you?” Kitty asked incredulously and shook her head. Amelia held her arm tighter, providing her friend emotional strength, Kitty was not in need. “Regardless of our current relationship status, Sirius and I have known each other most of our lives. I freed Sirius and arranged a trial for him because no one in their right mind would have suspected him in the first place. Sirius loved James, Lily and Harry far too much to have ever done anything to hurt them. His devotion was never something he hid. As are his political leanings. That is something I was certain you were aware of.”

“Remus suspected him,” Albus feebly offered.

“Remus was in shock when you spoke with him,” Kitty coldly said back.

“How would you know this? You were away.” Albus addressed her coldly.

“They both gave me their memories of those days. You immediately ran to Remus after Sirius’ arrest and accosted him in his broken-hearted delirium. He lost everyone who had promised to help him survive in the magical world. Our happy little family of friends was gone from his life. So was Harry, who should have rightly stayed with him, but the Wizarding World considers dear, sweet Remus a threat. That man relocates spiders outside rather than kill them; what in the Godesses dear name would he do to a child he considered his blood?”

“Kitty, you must understand that we had to keep Harry safe —” Albus began again.

“Safe? Safe, is that what you called where you left him? Those Muggles starved, beat, tortured and emotionally abused Harry. I don’t even know where to begin unravelling the lies he was told. They had him believing his father was a drunk who killed himself and Lily in an automobile accident. They told him that he was a freak. They told him magic wasn’t real! James Potter will always remain as one of the best men I ever knew, and Lily was a remarkable witch and human being. I can only hope to make Harry understand a bit of who they are.”

“I would like to see Harry,” Dumbledore asked. Kitty stood stock still, her blue eyes turning to ice as he gazed upon her. “Please?”

Kitty pulled her arm free of Amelia’s and took two steps forward, now forehead to forehead with Albus. She tipped her head slightly and leaned in toward his ear. “The next time we meet, you will call me Lady Fawley and you will see Harry when he comes to Hogwarts.”

Albus was stunned. Even former students who were followers of Voldemort did not require him to call them by their formal titles. He supposed it was something that she didn’t ask for Princess Ekaterina. How was she going to keep him away from Harry until Hogwarts? There was so much that Harry needed to know, to learn. He had to be ready to face Tom when he came back, and he would come back. The headmaster went to say something to Kitty, when he realized he was alone; Kitty and Amelia had gone to sit down. They were on either side of Kingsley Shaklebolt. He needed the trio of them on his side for the war that would inevitably come. He sat down not far from where he was standing, wondering how he would right the situation. The Minister for Magic began the meeting shortly thereafter.

When the meeting broke up, Kitty was stunned silent.

“Do you want me to go with you?” Kingsley asked.

“No, I have someone in mind who can move among that circle with greater ease than you,” she said softly. “There aren’t many with skin as deeply hued as yours there.”

“I suppose not,” Kingsley said with a half-smile. “What can I do for you instead?”

“Help me get Sirius’ trial over. He can’t leave the country with me unless he’s cleared.”

“It’s on the calendar for Friday. Anything else?” Kitty looked at the people she worked with and smiled. “Show up for Harry’s party on Thursday, say seven?” The pair agreed. “Apparate into the back garden. Oh, let me go and catch Arthur Weasley. I’m hoping he’ll bring his youngsters over?”

“Be prepared,” Amelia said, “they’re quite the handful.”

“I have Sirius at my house. How much worse can it get?” Amelia and Kingsley looked at each other as Kitty walked away, and then broke out laughing.

Kitty moved through the Ministry mostly ignoring the pointing fingers and whispers directed at her. She more easily ignored the looks from the men ogling her physique in her red robes. Unfortunately for her, Kitty was unaware of the cold stare she received from Cornelius Fudge.

The man had never liked Kitty’s father, thought he was too confident and somewhat arrogant. As a young man, Cornelius wanted to be a diplomat, but Wallace Fawley had thwarted him at every turn. Wallace said the younger man lacked the ability to be impartial, said he was easily influenced by money, power and popularity. Cornelius finally settled for a career in the Magical Law Enforcement. He hated when Fawley’s daughter came along and not only aced her way through Auror training but became an important international spy for the Ministry. Cornelius Fudge watched Kitty from the upper balcony, wishing she’d fall and hurt herself. Of course, she was too graceful for that.

Cornelius had finally gotten himself on the right side of politics. He was finally in the limelight and making important connections. He would not let the Fawley family get in his way.

Later that night, Harry had his shower and Uncle Remus read him his story while Kitty and Sirius sat on the balcony discussing the day’s events.

“You’re sure you want me to be the one to go with you?” Sirius asked, longing to hold Kitty while they talked about this. “Wouldn’t another Auror be better? My magic is wonky still.”

“I don’t anticipate us needing to do much magic,” Kitty replied. “I’m there to greet my family members who still loiter at the Russian court and I need to make nice with the Queen and her consort. I also need to keep my ears open. If I bring you with me, it’s a second set of ears and your uncanny ability to charm women into telling you things their husbands don’t want made public. There will inevitably be at least one ball, and your ability to dance is delightful.”

“I’m going to need suitable clothing.”

“That is what our stop in Paris is for. I need clothing too. I wore my one set of power robes today. I need something for Friday, which means I’ll not only have to shop in the UK, but I will need to buy off the rack.”

“You really are a rich bitch, Lady Katie.”

“Thank you. I take that as a compliment.” For the first time since she’d returned home from the Ministry, Sirius saw Kitty genuinely smile. He returned it ten-fold.




Reviews 87
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear