Search:

SIYE Time:8:08 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Covert Love
By Celtics534

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mental Abuse, Spouse/Adult/Child Abuse, Violence, Violence/Physical Abuse
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 103
Summary: To serve and protect. That’s what Harry was there for. He had been sent undercover to protect Ginny Weasley from a mad man. Not to fall in love with her. But how couldn’t he? She was everything anyone could want, and clearly her stalker agreed.
Hitcount: Story Total: 73646; Chapter Total: 3310
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Hope you guys are ready… ;)

TheDistantDusk‌ was wonderful and edited this chapter for me! So I thank her, and I thank all of you that have been leaving reviews! They make my day. Today’s chapter title is inspired from Bad Decision by Bastille




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Eight O’clock

Harry’s fingers tapped anxiously on the armchair as he looked up the old grandfather clock Sirius had given him. He hated this! It was complete shit, every part of it. Having to sit at home while Ginny was out there risking her life to draw out some mad woman…

Fuck, Harry wasn’t good this! He was a man of action, so this whole waiting at home thing was killing him inside, counting the seconds until Ginny came back to him safe and sound. God, if anything were to happen to her, Harry wouldn’t know. He would be just sitting in his lounge chair, pretending to read his new mystery novel, all the while Ginny would be…

A full-body shiver forced him to his feet. He threw the paperback into his recently vacated seat. Harry’s whole body was full of energy. He started to pace back and forth in front of the fireplace.

Every fiber of his being seemed to be on edge. He could feel the tense muscles in his shoulders and back. Even after a week and half of this, Harry couldn’t sit still. When Ginny wasn’t with him… his mind couldn’t seem but think of every possible horrible situation. Prue charging in and blasting Ginny and Tonks, Prue hiding in the corner of the room using an invisibility spell and waiting for those few minutes Ginny is alone… Maybe it was his years on the force, but Harry’s mind instantly jumped to the worst case. And if…

Nope! Harry had to stay positive. He couldn’t keep letting his mind toy with different horrific possibilities. It was as simple as believing in Bill and Tonks’ abilities to do their jobs and believing in Ginny. Ginny was a tough witch, and Harry had no doubt she would make Prue regret showing her face. Still, the idea of Prue getting anywhere near…

Harry looked back up at the clock. Eight fifteen. How could it have only been fifteen minutes! Harry could have sworn it had been at least an hour since he’d looked at the damn clock. Really, it had felt like six hours!

But eight fifteen meant Ginny would be home any minute. Any minute now, he could have her in his arms, and everything in the world would be right again. As if summoned by his thoughts, Harry’s fireplace burst into green flames as Ginny stepped out of the hearth. Her hair was still damp from the shower she took every night.

The instant his eyes landed on her Harry felt his whole body relax. She’d walked out of the fire just like she had every night. And everytime he thanked his lucky stars that she’d survived another attempt.

“Hey.” Her smile was as bright as the fire she’d walked out from. “What are you doing?”

Harry swallowed the lump that formed every time she got back… every time she came back to him. “Just needed to stretch my legs.” He moved close to her, wrapping his arms around her lean form. “You hungry?”

“Why would you ask such a silly question? Weasleys are always hungry!”

He laughed as he pressed a kiss to the top of her head. “Come on then, I’ve got to make sure and feed my Weasley.”

Ginny gave him a coquettish smirk as they walked towards his kitchen. “I’m certain in your abilities to satisfy all forms of my hunger.”

Harry’s arm, which had slid to rest around her waist as they’d started to walk, tightened. An excited heat spread throughout his gut. “Can I?"

"Uh-hm." Ginny practically purred. "Actually, you're the only one who seems to quench a certain type of my famine. I mean I've tried to take care of it myself, but it just never is as fulfilling."

That warmth that had been centralized in his stomach now coursed to every limb in his body. He looked down at her, the possessive look in her eyes made shivers run down his spine. Before he could press her up against the counter and snog her senseless, which was what every part of his body was telling him to do, Ginny scooted away from his grasp. She moved over to the plate he’d left on the table,the warming charm still strong.

She bent over the plate, stiffing the beef and cabbage pie he made all the while giving him a great view of her arse. The temptation to go and just take off those tight fitting jeans was becoming stronger and stronger every passing second.

Before he could give in to his urge, Ginny stood up and spun to look at him. “This is perfect! Care to sit with me?”

Harry willed his body to calm down; there would be time for that later. Right now he would happily sit with his girlfriend as she ate dinner.

“You know I can’t say no to an offer like that. You sit down and I’ll get us some drinks.”

Her brilliant smile was his favorite response. “Do you have any more of that wine from a couple of nights ago.”

“I went out and got another bottle because you liked it so much.”

That bright smile he adored widened. “Oh, you are so getting lucky tonight.” She sunk into the chair, a satisfied groan escaping her lips.

Harry placed a freshly poured glass of her preferred drink on the table beside her plate. Leaning down, he stole a quick kiss. “I’m always lucky when I’m with you.”

This time when Ginny groaned, it wasn’t in pleasure. “And with that one sentence, your guarantee diminished to unlikely.”

“Is that so?” Harry shifted so his lips fell to her neck. He pressed his mouth to her warm skin. “Can you be persuaded again?”

The hum that resonated in Ginny’s throat was all the encouragement Harry needed. He turned her chair, making it so she was now facing him rather than the table. Before he could bring his lips back to hers, Ginny’s foot was suddenly between them. She pushed him back far enough that he couldn’t reach her.

Ginny’s smirk was as wide as the Cheshire cat’s. She wiggled her sockless toes. “I think a nice foot massage would put you back in my good graces.”

Harry took a couple of deep breaths to calm his rapidly growing ardor, smiling the whole time. “I think that can be arranged.” He took her foot into his hands and started kneading into the heel.

Ginny picked her plate off the table and started eating. They remained in a comfortable silence the whole time Ginny ate (and Harry rubbed her sore feet). Sometimes it amazed Harry that they could sit in absolute silence, and it felt perfect. Everything about their relationship seemed perfect to him. His mind started to drift back to what Jamieson had said the day he’d escaped Prue.

I expect a decent seat at the wedding. At first, Harry hadn’t thought much about his boss’ parting quip, but now that he had some much time to think… the idea kept popping into his mind. The image of him and Ginny married... getting to spend forever with her, having children with her. Nothing had ever felt more right to him. He could see them snuggled up on the bench she had in the garden of her cottage, a girl with red hair –

“Harry?” Ginny’s voice brought him back to reality. He looked up to see she’d placed her now empty plate back onto the table. Her hand came out to caress his cheek. “You alright, love?”

He leaned into her warm palm, loving the feel of soft skin that mixed with rough calluses across her hand. He let out a deep breath through his nose. “Yeah. Yeah, I’m fine.” At least now he was. With her, Harry would always be okay.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“It’s been thirteen days,” Tonks reminded the group around the table, “and we’ve had no sign of Prue.”

Harry looked around at the team Jamieson had brought together. It was a small group, only six members, but there was determination etched on every face. Harry was thankful that Jamieson was allowing him to stay in the loop, even after his entanglement with Prue. A lot of captains would have been removed from the case to prevent a revenge quest. But Jamieson hadn’t even tried to pull Harry back. In full honesty, Harry didn’t think he would have listened to his boss even if he’d been ordered away.

“Do we think she’d given up?” Jamieson asked, his intense eyes locked on Granger. “Or biding her time?”

Hermione tapped her fingers on the table, her nails clicking against the wood in a steady beat. “There is no way of telling. We know Prue is determined, and based on the fact she sent letters for months, we know she is patient.”

“So what, we continue with the plan?” Bill ran a hand through his hair. “Ginny keeps going after hours, and we just hope Prue shows up?”

“Do you have another suggestion?” Jamieson asked calmly. “I don’t like this either, but I can’t think of another way to draw Canon out.”

Harry wanted to groan in frustration. Everything always came back to Ginny going out and being bait. He understood why everyone thought it could work, and yet Harry knew there had to be a better way.

They knew very little about Prue’s motives. Just that she wanted Ginny and Prue was willing to kidnap Harry to keep him away from her… It was like a bolt of lightning suddenly struck him, electrifying his entire body. His fingers tingled as his mind whirled with the possibilities.

Prue didn’t want him with Ginny. If she thought something serious was happening between the two of them… it might be enough to make her snap. But what would be big enough?

He looked over at Ginny, who sat between himself and Bill. She was listening to Tonk’s briefing of the last few nights. Her bottom lip was tucked between her teeth as she focused. Harry knew from experience that she was thinking hard, at that moment. It was a natural reflex of hers when she focused intensely on something. Harry had noticed it over the first time when they were studying a new play their defensive coach had concocted for the match against Puddlemere. Back then, Harry had only been her guard (though he’d wanted way more even back then), but he’d instantly fallen in love with the mannerism. It had been something small he’d allowed himself to acknowledge about her in a more than protector way.

As he looked at her now… he was able to admit to loving every bit of her. From her quirky mannerisms to the way she dressed in simple vests and jeans.

“Potter?” Jamieson’s bark drew Harry’s eyes away from Ginny.

He could feel his cheeks heating as his boss stared him down. “Yes, sir?”

Jamieson’s lips thinned as if he knew exactly what Harry had been thinking about. “I asked if your injuries have healed?”

"Yes, sir. I was checked out by a healer this morning."

"Good." Jamieson nodded his approval. "Though, we need to discuss your involvement in this case. With your personal… connection to Miss Weasley, I think it would be better –"

"Sir," Harry interrupted, "I had a thought on something that might draw Prue out of her foxhole."

Jamieson blinked. "Oh?"

Harry swallowed. Even after working with the intimidating Irish man for years, Harry still felt like a child giving a school report whenever Jamieson watched him with that intense gaze. Taking a deep breath, Harry pushed on. “Prue hates anything to do with Ginny and me together, so what if we made some kind of announcement?”

Bill’s brow furrowed. “Like tell the press you’re dating? Prue already knows that, so do you think it will set her off.”

“Not dating…”Harry’s throat suddenly seemed too tight. He turned his gaze onto Ginny. He couldn’t suggest this idea without seeing her reaction. “Engagement.”

If a pin had dropped, Harry would have been able to hear the moment it connected with the wood floor. Every eye was on him, he could feel it, but Harry refused to look away for the brown that had locked on him. Ginny’s jaw had fallen open. The phrase speechless rarely fit Ginny, but at that moment, Harry was certain his girlfriend couldn’t have said a word even if she wanted to.

“It could work.” Harry didn’t look away from Ginny when Granger spoke, but his attention was split between his girlfriend and the profiler's words. “If Prue thinks Harry has, and this is how she’ll see it not what it truly is, won Ginny by getting her to marry him… Prue is likely to become rash and infuriated.”

“I don’t like it.” Bill’s voice was tight.

Granger let out a sigh. “As we’ve all said a million times, none of us likes any of this, but Harry’s idea has real potential. Prue is a patient person, but Harry triggers her. If she thinks Ginny, Prue’s obsession, is going to marry someone as unworthy as Harry… Prue is likely to act.”

“What do you think she’ll do?” Jamieson’s deep voice seemed to echo in the room.

“I think Prue will lash out. Going after either Harry or Ginny, really whoever she can get first.”

A thunderous thud made Harry’s attention waver from Ginny. Bill’s fist was clenched on the hardwood table as he glared around the room. “Why are we even discussing this. It’s too much of a risk. Canon kidnapped Harry just because he was dating her, so imagine what she’ll do if she thinks Harry and Ginny are engaged.”

Harry knew that look on his boss’ face. Jamieson was weighing his options. After half a minute, Jamieson inhaled a deep breath before turning to look at his old friend. “Bill, I think this might be the only way we’ll get her. She’s not making any moves with our current plan, so we need to adapt.”

“We can adapt, but how about adapting to something that doesn’t make a raving lunatic lose her mind!” Harry had always known Bill to be a level headed guy, but at that moment the redhead was practically pulling out his hair.

“I would love that.” Jamieson's voice didn’t raise or even sharpen; rather he kept a soothing tone as he spoke. “But I think we need the exorbitant temptation for Prue to make a move. Correct me if I’m wrong, Granger, but Prue must be currently planning as we speak.”

“That’s a good assumption.” Granger nodded her approval.

“We don’t want her to have too much time to plot out how she could grab Ginny. If she can take her time, Prue is bound to come up with something elaborate, and we’ll be ill-prepared to stop her. We need to keep on the attack. Our current tactic isn’t working, so we need to change and I think Potter has come up with the most direct line to our enemy.”

Bill’s harsh glare turned onto Harry. It was easy to imagine the man with his teeth bared like a wolf at that moment. “Is that what you were thinking, Potter?” He practically growled the last word.

Not much phased Harry, but an angry Bill sent a shiver down Harry’s spine. He had to swallow a lump that had formed in his throat, but before he could defend his idea, Ginny spoke. “I think it could work.”

“Ginny!” Bill rounded on his sister. “This is more than just going to the field after hours. This would be in the newspapers. Everyone would think that you’d –”

Ginny’s eyes narrowed. Her tone was ice cold. “I know exactly what I’d be doing, Bill.”

“And you’re okay with that? You hate having the press on you and there’s no way they won’t follow you two like white on rice. And think of Mum!” She’ll go ballistic if she thinks you two got engaged without telling her.”

“We can tell her before making a statement,” Harry suggested. His attention had gone back to Ginny as soon as she’d spoken. He was terrified of what was going through her mind. Harry knew he needed to explain how this was more than just a plan B. How the idea of marrying her sounded like the best thing in the world. But of course, Harry’s mouth could never articulate all that… especially in front of everyone. Everyone, including his boss and her brother…

“How about we give everyone a few hours to think it over?” Jamieson suggested, his eyes were locked to his wristwatch. “I have a meeting in five minutes that should last a few hours. Let’s meet back at Potter’s for two?”

There was a general noise of agreement around the room. Harry stood from the stiff back chair. Ginny was right beside him, her brown eyes giving nothing away. “Back to yours then?”

Harry nodded, all the while his entire body tensed. If she was going to yell at him, at least it would be in private.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX

Twenty minutes, and nothing. Ginny hadn’t said a word about it. She hadn’t yelled or burst into fits of angry muttering. Harry had prepared his speech from the conference room to the line of Floo fires that aurors were permitted to use. He’d expected Ginny to round on him the moment they were safely in his flat, but instead, she’d asked if he wanted a cup of tea.

Harry looked down at his now tepid, untouched mug. Ginny had settled in the overstuffed armchair that sat kitty-cornered opposite the sofa. She’s grabbed the novel she’d been reading in her limited free time from the stand and read silently. Harry couldn’t calm his mind enough to take a sip of tea, let alone read a book.

He just needed to come right out and ask her what she honestly thought about the plan. What she really thought about the idea of getting married. Harry knew that he hadn’t been a suave way of suggesting marriage. Hell, Harry couldn’t blame her for missing how serious about it he’d been.

“You know,” Ginny’s voice drew Harry’s eyes from his cooled drink. “Typically, it’s better when you drink it, rather than just stare at it.” She closed her book. “Care to share what’s on your mind?”

It was like everything that had built up inside him over the past few hours -- really days, maybe even months -- came bubbling to the surface and he was powerless to stop it. “What’s on my mind? What isn’t on my mind?!”

If he weren’t so distracted, Harry would have noticed the small smile that spread across Ginny’s lips, but he was so lost in his own rant that he didn’t question smirk.

“Let’s start with the obvious.” He held up one finger. “The woman I love is being stalked by a madwoman.” His middle finger joined the first. “Then there’s the fact that I literally can’t do anything about it. I’ve been stuck on the sidelines, worrying every second you’re gone.” Harry’s ring finger went up. “And finally, I proposed the idea of marriage to you in the worst way and I have no idea if you only think it’s only to draw Prue out or –”

“Or because you want us to get married?” Ginny supplied, stopping Harry’s rant. He finally looked at her, really looked at her. She was positively beaming at him. “Because I took it as a rather poor proposal, and I was going to wait for a better one before asking for the ring.”

Harry felt his jaw drop. “You… you.” He couldn’t get his brain to function. But Ginny didn’t wait for his stumbling mind to catch up. She let out a delighted laugh before rising from her chair to straddle his lap. As her arms wrapped around his neck, Harry’s hands naturally went to the small of her back to support her.

“I don't know why Bill is so worried about Mum." Ginny's tone was light and comfortable, seemingly unaware of Harry's harebrained mind. "I mean, she'll be ecstatic that you'll be making an honest woman out of me." She rolled her eyes, but a fond smile widened her cheeks. "Honestly, the hints she's been making since she found out about us could fill a book."

"Wait!" Harry finally got his mind and mouth to catch up. "You want to marry me?"

Again Ginny rolled her eyes, only this time she pressed that soft smile to his. "I'm pretty sure I said it could work when you suggested it." Now her grin became adorably wicked. "Or did I just make it sound like it was all a part of a plan? Because sometimes it can be–”

Harry cut her sass off with a brutal kiss. Ginny gave back as good as she got, pressing her small but perfect body against his. He lost track of time as he basked in the feeling of her. As he reveled in that knowledge, she wanted him just as much as he wanted her.

“So, we’re doing this?” Harry murmured against her lips.

He loved the feeling of her lips curling into a smile against his. “Is this your proposal?”

“If it’s good enough, then yes.”

She kissed him hard before quickly pulling back to look into his eyes. “Do you already have a ring, or should we go out after our celebratory engagement shag?”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX

“You still good to go see Mum tonight?” Ginny asked as she threw the duffle bag strap over her shoulder. She was going to another night practice. Jamieson had decided that until the news of their engagement spread to the press, Ginny was to keep up her routine, which was why Harry was determined to see all their friends and family as quickly as possible. He’d already told Sirius while Ginny was at the team practice.

His godfather had been ecstatic. Harry couldn’t remember the last time Sirius’ smile had been so wide. Next to tell was Ginny’s family. Molly Weasley would love the fact that they were getting married but hate to find out by a morning paper. They had asked if they could have a late family tea. Molly had happily agreed, saying she would gather the boys.

“Of course.” Harry kissed his fiancée. His fiancée! Every time he thought the word, it made his stomach flutter, and a smile spread to his lips. “I can’t wait to tell them.” He took her left hand, raising it to eye level.

They had gone out the previous day to find her a ring. It had only taken them about an hour to find one. Ginny had instantly fallen in love with the simple Asscher style cut they’d found in the third shop. The moment it slid onto Ginny’s finger, Harry had never wanted to see it off.

He brought her fingers to his lips and pressed a kiss to the knuckle above the ring. “I love you.”

Ginny’s simple, satisfied smile made the butterflies in his stomach intensify in the best way. “I love you too.” She pulled her hand back, but slid into his personal bubble perfectly. The gentle kiss she pressed to his lips got his blood moving as if it had been much more.

Then she was next to the fireplace, floo powder lighting the flames green. With a cheery wave, she was gone.

The jitters that had once been so nice and warming in his gut shifted instantly to something unwelcome. Here was the anxiety that hit him every time. Harry took a deep, calming breath. This would be over soon, or at least his separation from her would be over soon. He just needed to handle it a few more times, then Jamieson would let him be with her everywhere she went.

Looking around the room for any distraction, Harry’s eyes settled on his novel. It would have to do.

He took his usual position in his overstuffed armchair, letting his feet come up to rest on the ottoman. It truly was one of the best spots in his flat. The fire was near enough that you were warm but cool enough that you could still use a blanket if you wanted. Harry loved curling up in this chair with Ginny on their off days. It was always simple. Just chatting, maybe reading a few books, or letting a game quietly play on the wireless, but no matter what they did nothing was better than having Ginny by his side.

How he wished they could be lazing in the chair right at that moment. He could run his fingers over hers, get to feel the ring on her finger that meant so much to him… to them. Maybe they could have a cup of tea and a few biscuits.

Harry jerked suddenly at the loud crashing noise. He blinked rapidly trying to reorientate himself. It took a second for Harry to realize he must have fallen asleep. That would make sense; he hadn’t gotten much sleep the previous night. Just the thought of the previous night brought a smile to his lips. Yesterday had been the best –

The persistent knocking got louder, pulling Harry out of the reverie. He got up out of his chair, tripping slightly on the carpet as he shuffled across the room. Harry pulled the door open wide, and it was as if a bolt of lightning shot through his body, starting at his head and moved to his toes.

Bill was standing on his stoop, completely disheveled. But it was the hysterical distraught clear as day in his eyes that made Harry’s entire body freeze. Bill wouldn’t show up at his house looking like that unless…

“No.” The word was nothing more than a whisper. Harry wasn’t even sure if he’d said it out loud, but it echoed in his head. No! No! NO! His hand to grip the doorjamb as his legs became lead.

“She got her, Harry.” Bill’s voice was rough like he’d swallowed a ton of sand. “Prue got Ginny.”
Reviews 103
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear