Search:

SIYE Time:19:13 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Twelve Hours
By Gin110881

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 21
Summary: Their first meeting literally knocked them off...and it took them twelve hours to finally kiss. **Harry never went to Hogwarts-AU**
Hitcount: Story Total: 8248; Chapter Total: 1622
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
My thanks go to Tina for her kind support in writing this story.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


With a broad grin, Ginny knocked on the back door to her old home. She opened the door and peered into the kitchen, where her mother was standing by the stove, preparing dinner while humming along to a Celestina Warbeck melody on the wireless.

The squeak of the door made her mother look up. "Ginny," she exclaimed. "What are you doing here? We didn't expect you before tomorrow."

"Surprise!" Ginny called and threw herself into her mother's arms. "How are you, Mum? I hope you are all doing well. I look forward to seeing everyone tonight."

"Aw, Ginny. I'm so sorry. We didn't expect you..." her mother grimaced. "We've planned a welcome home party for the next weekend. But I'm afraid, today it's only you, your Dad, and me. Bill is still in France with Fleur and the children, visiting the Delacour's. Charlie is coming from Romania for a few days at the end of the week. Percy and Penelope are in London watching a play, I think it was something by Shakespeare. Fred and George went to Montrose to watch a Quidditch match this morning, and Ron was invited to dinner at Hermione's today. Her parents were complaining they haven't seen their grandchild in two weeks." Molly rolled her eyes.

"Aw, I haven't seen little Rose either. How old is she now? Four weeks?" Ginny cooed.

"Yesterday, she was six weeks old." Her mother smiled dreamily. "You ought to visit Ron and Hermione soon. Hermione is still at home, and Ron usually comes back from work at five if you want to see your brother as well."

"Can't wait to see that big oaf again," Ginny grinned. Sighing, she added, "It's a pity. I was hoping the whole family would be here for dinner." Biting her lower lip, she slowly nodded. "But it's a good idea. I'll ask Hermione if we can meet tomorrow."

"You look a little tired, dear." Her mother gave her a worried look.

"Nah, everything is okay, Mum. I didn't have much sleep last night, but it's okay," Ginny said. "Besides, I only got up four hours ago. It is still morning in Peru."

"Oh, that's all a bit confusing, isn't it?" her mother said while fishing a spoon out of the drawer to taste the gravy.

"You get used to it," replied Ginny. "Plus, I have a few days to rest now."

"If you say so, my dear," her mother muttered, far from being reassured.

A soft squeak made Ginny look over to the cupboard, where a fluffy, purple ball was bouncing up and down.

"Arnold, how are you?" Ginny squealed and hurried over to the cupboard to pick up her pygmy puff. She put it on her palm and watched with amusement how the little creature stared at her, delighted to see her again. She nuzzled the ball and grinned. "Yes, I'm also happy to see you again. You look a little muddled. Did you sleep all day again? Look, Mum. He's cute, isn't he? I didn't think he would remember me."

Her mother laughed, "Maybe he's just staring at you because you're a new face for him."

When Arnold jumped up into her hair, Ginny giggled, "Ah, the little terrorist remembers my hair." She slowly removed the pygmy puff from her hair, placed it on the table and caressed the fluffy ball.

"What are your plans for the next days, dear?" Her mother asked.

"I need to report back to Gringott’s tomorrow morning, and then I have two weeks off," Ginny said. "I want to meet Luna if she's not abroad, and maybe visit Hannah at the Leaky. With a bit of luck, Neville has an evening off from Hogwarts. Maybe I can even meet Demelza. I need to check when she has her next home game. Merlin, I haven't seen a Quidditch game in months."

Her mother sat on the chair next to her. "Are you planning a birthday party, my dear?"

"Oh," Ginny said. "I didn't even think about that. But I'd love to see everyone again."

"At your house, or here at the Burrow?" Her mother asked.

"Good question," Ginny mused. "It would be nice to have everyone over at Seal Cottage. They've only been there once; two years ago, for the house-warming party."

"Come on, my dear, help me set the table," her mother said. "Dinner is almost ready."

"Of course." Ginny walked over to the cupboard and took out plates and cutlery to put them on the table. "Mum, I hope you'll help me cook for my birthday party. While I think my cooking isn't that bad, I've never done it for so many people."

"Of course, my dear," her mother smiled at her. "Don't worry!" Giving her a concerned look, she added, "How does it feel to live all alone in your cottage so far out there."

"It's fantastic, I love the view and everything," said Ginny.

"But I don't know, my dear, I always have such an uneasy feeling that you live so isolated." Her mother gave her a worried look. "It's a wonderful place, but I wish you weren't alone out there."

A brief smile crossed Ginny face, as the image of a man with green eyes and black hair crossed her mind. Bewildered, she shook her head and raised her hands in defence, laughing. "Oh, Mum. Not that again. I just haven't found the right one yet, and sometimes I have my doubts that he even exists."

"Just wait, Ginny, dear. There is a matching lid for every pot. You just need to look somewhere else. I doubt you'll find a decent man in your pyramids and tombs. How about a nice job in the Ministry? You could go out with friends in the evening, and you'd find the right one in no time."

"Oh Mum, I would end up being an old grumpy looking woman if I had to sit at a desk every day," laughed Ginny.

"Trust me, dear." Her mother gave her a knowing look. "And now go and find your father. Tell him dinner is ready. He'll be surprised to see you."

"I take it, he's in his shed, tinkering?" asked Ginny, nodding her head in the direction of her father's favourite place.

"Where else?" snorted her mother. "There are things that never change."

As Ginny got up to find her father, her mother called after her, "Ginny, dear. Please have a look in the chicken coop to see if the hens have laid eggs."

"Of course, Mum," replied Ginny.

"I hope you remember where the chicken coop is." Her mother grinned.

"Mum," Ginny rolled her eyes. "I was only gone for 3 months."

With bouncing steps, she walked through the door to look for her father.

*** Ginny & Harry ***


"Do you like some more from the roast, Ginny? Or some pudding? You must be hungry after your long journey." Her mother gave Ginny a concerned look when she put down her knife and fork.

"Mum, I had a second helping of everything," Ginny shook her head. "And besides, the portkey journey had only taken a few minutes. I had a late breakfast, and it's now 1 p.m. in Peru, barely time for a snack for lunch."

She peered over at her father and giggled. "Dad, how come you're not twice as fat as you are? This woman must feed you big and round."

Her father chuckled, "If you don't tell your mother, I'll tell you a secret."

Ginny raised her eyebrows. "You know your secrets are safe with me." Smirking, she glanced over at her mother, who stared at her father with interest.

"I don't have lunch when I am at work. Instead, I take a nice, long walk."

"Oh, Arthur. How can you." Molly gave him an offended look. "And what are you doing with the sandwiches I make for lunch?"

"On the way to the lunch break, I pass the sports department. Ron never refuses an extra bite."

Ginny laughed out loud. "Dad, you are impossible."

Her mother stood up, shaking her head. Mumbling something about men, she sent the dishes to the sink with a flick of her wand.

"Thanks for the fabulous dinner, Mum. I’ve really missed your cooking." Ginny stood up and hugged her mother. After giving her father a farewell hug, she went over to the chair, where Arnold snored comfortably on a pillow. She put him on her shoulder and turned to the door. "I'll head back home. I want to sit a bit behind the house and enjoy the beautiful evening."

"We'll be in contact for your birthday party, Ginny," her mother gave her a firm look. "And don't forget to have a look in your kitchen, I left you some food there."

"Yes, of course, Mum. And thank you. I'll drop by tomorrow afternoon. I want to fly a bit. Unfortunately, I can't do that at my house because of Muggles." She waved goodbye to her parents and made her way home.

*** Ginny & Harry ***


With a soft pop noise, Harry appeared on the edge of the cliff and almost toppled down the steep slope to the shore. Startled, he took a step back. Only a few feet forward, and he would have landed in the middle of the slope and probably broken a few bones during the fall. Squinting his eyes against the wind, he looked about and the view almost took his breath away. The houses that looked down onto the sea from the edge of the cliff looked idyllic. The ruins clinging to the slope, mostly torn away by the sea, were proof that the forces of nature had no mercy. A little further away, a lighthouse pointed into the blue sky like a white index finger, apparently unimpressed by the wind and the waves breaking against the nearby shore.

What a beautiful place, Harry thought to himself. When he finally broke away from the sight and turned, he noticed a cottage only a few dozen yards away. It was the only building nearby, and probably the place he'd find his trunk.

Turning his head out of the wind, he took a deep breath and headed up the footpath towards the house. Surrounded by a low stone wall, the yellow building with the green shutters shone in the evening sun. A couple of seagulls were resting on the ridge of the reed roof, watching the newcomer suspiciously. Harry walked up to the garden gate and pushed the handle. When the gate opened with a slight squeak, he walked through and looked about. He admired the well-tended flower beds and the red roses that grew to the right and left of the front door. His heart started pounding faster when he realized that this pretty red-haired woman he'd met less than half an hour ago could walk around the corner of the house at any moment.

But she didn't.

He walked up to the front door, knocked and listened for any noises in the house. But there was nothing but the sound of the wind. When no one answered, he knocked again, a bit louder this time, and slowly walked around the house.

He rounded the corner to the backyard, only to find it deserted, too. The piece of lawn with a few bushes on it led to the cliff and was looking as if it had just been mowed. A small shed stood right next to the low stone wall that surrounded the property. Next to the backdoor a garden bench with a table invited to rest - but there was not a single human soul in sight. Disappointed, he ran his hands through the hair, which was even more tousled by the sea breeze than usual. Huffing in frustration, he looked about and paused when he noticed a window with the shutter open.

Harry hesitantly walked over to the window, not sure if he should try to get a peek inside. In the end, the wish to get his trunk back won. With a sigh, he went on tiptoe and pressed his forehead against the glass - and flinched away.

The low hum he'd heard was a sure sign that the house was protected by strong wards. Harry pulled out his wand to check if anyone was home. He muttered 'Homenum revelio' and cursed when the spell failed. The wards were obviously too strong.

Ah, right, he remembered. She's a curse breaker.

Pondering his options, he threw a pensive glance at the trunk he'd set on the ground when he'd tried to have a peek into the house. Damn, he thought. According to the tracking charm, his trunk ought to be here, probably inside the house. Suddenly he grimaced, remembering that she'd mentioned that she'd be expected for dinner - and obviously, the dinner didn't take place here.

Considering that he needed to come back later, dinner seemed to be a charming idea. Harry just hoped, the woman wouldn’t spend the night wherever she was now. Resisting the temptation to rest a bit on the garden bench to enjoy the view, Harry Apparated away.

*** Ginny & Harry ***


When Ginny got back home, the sun was already setting. She was looking forward to sitting outside on her bench with a good book, something she had hardly found time during her stay in Peru. The life with her colleagues in the camp, as much as she'd loved it, had offered little peace and privacy.

She pulled her wand to take down the wards - and hesitated. Someone had been here and triggered the wards. She made some complicated movements with her wand to check them. Apparently, nothing serious had happened. The wards were still up. Frowning, she noticed the open shutter. Had anyone tried to break in through her window? On the other hand, maybe it was just a nosy Muggle who'd tried to get a peek inside. She took the wards down and walked through the door into the living room. After having a brief look about, she continued to the kitchen, but she couldn't find anything suspicious.

Arnold, who had latched onto her hair again, slid down her arm. Crawling over the kitchen table, he made himself comfortable in the windowsill.

Ginny opened the shutter so Arnold could enjoy the last rays of the sun and to let some light into the kitchen.

She went back to the living room to get her trunk and put it on the kitchen table. When she tapped the lock with her wand, she froze. Why didn't the lock open? She repeated the wand movement and murmured 'Alohomora'. A click confirmed that the lock had opened. She shook her head and opened the lid to take out her book when her jaw dropped.

Instead of her clothes, the trunk was full of strange things. A whole stack of Muggle ID cards, mostly from young women, lots of glass tubes with hair, filled out entry forms for visiting the UK, shipping notes for potion ingredients...

Ginny started.

This was not her trunk.

But where was her trunk? And what was this strange trunk doing in her house?

Startled, she gasped for air. Her eyes widened when the realization hit her. This trunk had to belong to the man she'd met when she'd arrived from Peru.

But what did he need all these strange things for? What was this handsome man up to? Could she have been so wrong about him?

Suddenly, a thought crossed her mind. The window! Did the person who'd peeked through her window have a mop of black hair and green eyes?

She walked back to the living room and gave the window a closer inspection. She opened and closed the window but couldn't find any signs of a security breach. Absent-mindedly, she walked back to the kitchen.

How did he find her so quickly?

She gave the trunk a suspicious glance and hesitated. With a flick of her wand, she checked it for any charms and swore when the trunk briefly glowed blue - a sure sign that a tracking charm had been applied. She removed the charm and headed to the back door to lock it.

She'd never thought that someone could fool her so thoroughly. The man had made such a trustworthy impression on her; she'd have said yes without a second thought if he'd invited her for a drink. Disappointed, she shook her head.

What should she do now?

'Seamus,' a thought crossed her mind. Seamus, one of her schoolmates from Hogwarts she occasionally met at the annual class reunions. He was an Auror, and he would know what to do with the stuff in the trunk.

She could floo call him but, unfortunately, her home was not connected to the Floo network. She could Apparate, but as far as she knew, he didn't live in his old flat in Hogsmeade anymore.

Taking a brief glance at her watch, she hesitated. It was 9 p.m. on Sunday evening. Was it really so important to ruin Seamus' Sunday evening? Maybe she'd better wait until Monday morning and contact him at the Ministry.

Pondering her options, she reached for the trunk and dragged it to the box room. Looking about, she decided it was best to keep the trunk out of sight. She opened the large storage closet and hid the trunk behind piles of tablecloths and towels. Carefully eyeing the outcome, she shrugged. That would do. Ginny was just about to shut the closet door when she paused - listening to the excited noises Arnold made in the kitchen. Worried, she hurried back to the kitchen, where Arnold sat on the windowsill, hopping up and down excitedly. When she glanced out the window to find out what Arnold was so agitated about, she froze.

A man walked up the footpath from the cliffs and headed straight for her garden gate, a man with a mop of black hair who certainly had green eyes - she knew he had green eyes, even if she couldn't see his eyes yet.

When the man stepped through the gate, Ginny quietly scurried through the living room and slipped through the back door.

*** Ginny & Harry ***


Harry wandered up the path to the cottage where, as far as he knew, that beautiful redheaded woman he met earlier lived. The sun was already low on the western horizon and the house cast a long shadow. As he walked through the gate, he noticed that the shutters of one of the windows were open now. His heart started to beat faster when he thought he'd noticed movement behind the window. The thought of seeing the woman again planted a goofy grin on his face.

He was about to knock at the door when he noticed a movement out of the corner of his eye. As he turned, he saw her glowing red hair fluttering in the sea breeze. He smiled and called, "Hello, nice to meet you again."

Almost too late he noticed a beam of red light flying towards him. In the last moment, he ducked and jumped to the side to avoid the stunner. Irritated, he reached for his wand to erect a shield, but was a fraction of a second late and couldn't avoid the second stunner that hit him in the squarely in the chest — and everything went black.


Reviews 21
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear