Search:

SIYE Time:6:16 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Contagion
By melindaleo

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts
Characters:None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Mild Language, Mild Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 207
Summary: Muggle and magical illnesses are separate. Until they’re not. Harry has always had a discernable enemy. This time, he’s fighting an invisible and indiscriminate threat. Part of the Cuts universe.
Hitcount: Story Total: 112535; Chapter Total: 1845
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
Author’s Note: First off, thanks so very much to my beta team, Sherylyn, Arnel and Sue for all their help and encouragement.

I’d also like to thank you, the readers – and particularly the reviewers – for welcoming this story so warmly! I originally started it as a way to keep myself occupied during the lockdown. I can’t believe I’m going to finish up before our own pandemic is over. I worried that no one would want to read something like this while we were going through something so similar. You all proved me wrong – and I’m very thankful for that.

Lastly, I’d like to wish you all very Merry Christmas, and a happy, healthy 2021. Let’s give 2020 a kick on its way out the door!!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter Twenty-Five
It’s My Party



The first post-outbreak gathering of the entire Weasley family was held on a Sunday, the final day of September. Even Charlie was able to attend as the travel restrictions had finally been lifted. There was a lot to celebrate, not the least of which was Ginny and Ron’s return to good health. Percy and Audrey were married; Harry and Ginny were engaged; and George and Angelina were back together.

Ron had given his notice to the Ministry, and as of the next day, he was going to work with George at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes full time. The students across Britain would be travelling on the Hogwarts Express back to Hogwarts the next day, and it finally felt as if some normalcy was returning to the world.

The sky was dotted with puffy white clouds, and despite the autumn crispness in the air, a table had been set up in the back garden to accommodate the overflowing crowd. Molly had spent the days leading up to the event baking up a storm, and there were several hovering trays around the table containing an assortment of tasty treats.

Teddy had insisted on bringing his new broom, so naturally, Harry, Ginny, Ron and George had all pulled theirs out of the shed and were currently having mock races in the orchard. Harry had let the others know in no uncertain terms that Teddy was supposed to win. Sometimes, the Weasley competitive nature overrode their good sense.

Teddy’s squeals as he zoomed around the orchard at knee-level echoed throughout the garden, buoying everyone’s good mood. Victoire sat on Fleur’s lap watching the races, waving her arms in the air and shrieking with delight every time the riders flew anywhere near her.

“Come on, Teddy. I’m going to get you this time,” George said, hunkering low over his broom handle and squinting his eyes in mock determination.

“Can’t beat me,” Teddy laughed, delighted. “I ride like the wind. Unca Harry told me so.”

“Well, you’re fairly stiff competition, but I think I can do it. I want to prove your Uncle Harry wrong,” George said, smirking at Harry.

Teddy laughed. “Unca Harry is never wrong. You should know that, George,” Teddy said, looking at George as if he were ridiculous.

Harry beamed at George over Teddy’s head.

George went to move his hand in a rude gesture, but stopped when he noticed Teddy staring at him avidly. Narrowing his eyes at Harry, he said, “Your godfather has a big head there, mate.”

“I know,” Teddy said, nodding happily. “He has a big everything, and I’m going to be big like him someday, too.”

Harry’s grin widened even further. “Hear that, George? I have a big everything. Are you two going to race, or sit around chatting all day? Shall I get you some tea?”

“Yeah! Come on, George — stop stalling. It’s time to lose — to me,” Teddy said, taking off before George had even acknowledged him.

Ginny roared with laughter as George, startled, had to catch up. “Go, Teddy! You’ve got this,” Ginny called.

Harry followed the two racers, keeping a close watch on Teddy, who wobbled quite a bit as he put all his effort into trying to beat George. As Teddy reached the finish line, and Harry declared him the winner, he felt a thump on the back of his head, pushing it forward. He reached up to find a clump of earth stuck in his hair on the back of his head. Bewildered, he looked behind him to find George grinning smugly.

“George Weasley!” Fleur yelled, incensed, before Harry had time to respond.

They all turned to see a furious Fleur standing over Victoire, who was gleefully throwing fistfuls of dirt at all of them.

“I ‘ave been telling her for weeks not to throw ze dirt, and her oncle does it right in front of her! Mon dieu! You fool,” Fleur raged, ducking away from the falling dirt. Using her wand, she levitated Victoire into the air, brushing off her hands before placing her on her hip. “You need to set a better example for les enfants!”

George stared at them both blankly for a moment before adopting an over-the-top contrite expression. “Sorry, Fleur, Victoire. Uncle George was wrong to throw dirt at Uncle Harry.”

Ron and Ginny were doing their best not to laugh. Ron had to put his hand over his face to hide his grin, and Ginny bit down on her knuckle.

“Honestly, George. You ought to know better. Mum raised you better than that. You’re not a child anymore, no matter how much you act like one,” Ginny said.

Fleur let out an angry huff of air, agreeing with Ginny’s words, despite the mirth in Ginny’s eyes.

Teddy walked between George and Fleur, looking up at George with wide eyes and dragging his broom behind him. “Did you throw dirt at Unca Harry because you lost to me? Grandmum says that’s being a poor sport.”

Ron snorted. “Hear that, George. You’re a poor sport,” he said, sniggering.

“Out of the mouths of babes,” Ginny said, reaching over to brush some of the dirt from Harry’s hair.

“What’s going on over here?” Mrs. Weasley asked, arms akimbo and looking around at the gathered group suspiciously.

“Nothing, Mum,” all the Weasleys chorused innocently, even Harry and Fleur kept silent.

“Well, dinner is ready, so you lot need to go inside and wash up before we eat,” Mrs. Weasley said, but Harry didn’t think she believed them.

Once they’d all gathered at the overflowing table, Harry and Ginny were seated at one end, with Mr. Weasley on the very end, while Ron, Hermione, George and Angelina were at the other end, near Mrs. Weasley. Percy and Audrey were seated across from Harry and Ginny, and they all shared mutual congratulations.

“Good for you getting to start your married life without any interference. No practical jokes on your honeymoon had to be a plus,” Ginny said, raising her glass in a toast.

Percy chuckled, clinking his glass to hers. “It would’ve been, had we actually gone on our honeymoon. Alas, it wasn’t meant to be this year. We’re still hoping to have some sort of a celebration on our one-year anniversary next summer.”

“My mother was really disappointed we didn’t get to do the wedding properly with all the bells and whistles,” Audrey said, sighing. “I’m so sorry you all purchased new dress robes for nothing.”

“I know, such a shame,” Ginny said with a perfectly straight face. “There was nothing you could’ve done to change it, though, so don’t feel bad.”

Harry, knowing how much Ginny hated her pink dress robes, snorted into his glass. Bubbles went up his nose, causing him to choke and cough. Ginny absently clapped him on the back as he spluttered.

“Yes, Molly was quite upset not to have it here, as you’ll recall, but in the end, what matters is you were able to get married,” Mr. Weasley said, and Harry was impressed with the casual, seemingly offhand way he reminded the newlyweds that neither mother had had her way.

“I suppose,” Audrey said, shrugging. “Certainly, it was a let-down after so much planning, but we felt strongly that although a large gathering was out of the question, we didn’t want to cancel altogether.”

“Exactly,” Percy said pompously. “We felt, as representatives of the Ministry, it was our duty to shoulder the responsibility of following all safety protocols and set a good example. I think the Minister was quite appreciative of our initiative.”

“I’m certain he was,” Mr. Weasley said, and this time it was his turn to hide his smile behind his glass.

Percy nodded obliviously. “Those of us in positions of authority have a moral obligation to lead responsibly.”

“So, I hear you’ve decided on two separate celebrations,” Audrey said, smiling at Percy adoringly. “That’s ambitious. Just planning one event was making me want to tear my hair out with all the little conflicting details.”

“Yes, about that,” Percy said, a crease forming in between his eyebrows. “The Minister asked me to connect you with an Event and Conference Coordinator to handle the Ministry party. I have to say, I think you’d be better off using this person to help with all the details of your wedding and simply have one large affair. Two separate events really are unnecessary, and since there is a publicity aspect involved, it will only benefit you to have aid of someone who understands the intricacies and expectations of protocol.”

Harry felt a pit of dread forming in his belly, feeling Percy sounded incredibly similar to past Ministers who’d tried to bully him into playing on a Ministry team. Before he could respond, however, Ginny intervened.

“No,” she said flatly, staring at Percy as if daring him to disagree.

“Ginevra, I realize a wedding is most significant to the couple involved, but owing to the circumstances of who you’re marrying, there are other factors to consider,” Percy said, glancing at Harry with what couldn’t be mistaken as anything but resentment.

“Sitting right here, Percy,” Harry said lightly, deciding to let Ginny handle her pompous brother, as she seemed itching to do.

“No,” Ginny repeated, taking another bite of her chicken and chewing it calmly. Harry could see the pinching around her eyes and mouth, and knew it wouldn’t take a lot for her to pull out her wand.

Upon further consideration, Harry decided a united front was called for. “With all due respect to the Ministry, Percy, we’ve agreed to the post-wedding celebration to appease those expectations, but the wedding itself will be private,” he said firmly.

Percy pressed his lips together. “I’m not certain you understand the expectations of your position. There will be members of the Wizengamot, and certain high-ranking officials who’ll expect, even consider it part of their duty, to share in this occasion,” Percy said, persevering.

“Well, that’s just too damn bad. Our wedding has nothing to do with the Ministry, Percy, nor are we going to allow it to be,” Ginny said, the air around her seeming to crackle. “I’m willing to let this Event and Conference Coordinator arrange the details of the Ministry function, but there needs to be an understanding that this person will have absolutely no say whatsoever in the actual wedding ceremony. I believe the Minister has already agreed to this stipulation.”

Percy didn’t look pleased, and his expression left no doubt he wasn’t in agreement with the Minister on this topic.

“Well, the details can be discussed once a Coordinator has been assigned,” he said hastily. “My personal recommendation is a delightful young witch whom you might already know. I believe she attended Hogwarts with both of you. Her name is Cho Chang, and she’s a rising star at the Ministry.”

“Absolutely not,” Ginny said flatly, eyes widening.

Percy adopted his most condescending expression “Ginny, I’m certain once you’ve met and—”

“We’ve met, and I can’t imagine a bride anywhere who’d agree to hire her fiancé’s former girlfriend as a party planner,” Ginny said.

Percy’s face fell. “Former girlfriend?” he repeated faintly.

Harry wanted to laugh, but didn’t think Ginny would appreciate it. He thought it was a bit of a stretch to call his failed date with Cho as anything more than that, but since he knew how irritating he found having to work with Michael Corner could be, he was going to back her up on this one.

“I think you’ll need to suggest someone else, Percy,” Audrey said, frowning, and Harry was surprised to see the flash of solidarity between the two women.

Ginny nodded her appreciation to her sister-in-law.

“Mais oui,” Fleur said. She was sitting on Ginny’s other side, and she’d obviously heard part of the conversation. “Zis eez unacceptable. How could you suggest such a thing?”

Percy spluttered, his head rotating at the three angry witches surrounding him. Harry really couldn’t blame him. He wouldn’t want to have any of them looking at him that way, either. He was surprised to feel sympathy for Percy after being so annoyed with him only moments before.

“There must be other Coordinators at ze Ministry who can handle the arrangements, no?” Fleur asked, swelling with righteous indignation.

“Of course, there are. I’d suggest choosing one of the younger ones who may make selections that are closer to your own tastes, but most certainly not a past girlfriend,” Audrey said, glaring at her husband.

“Of course not! I didn’t mean— I didn’t know,” Percy wailed, eyes wide. “I’ll get you a list of names, and you can look them over yourself,” Percy said, looking as if he wanted out of the entire conversation.

“Don’t worry, Ginny. We will ‘elp with whatever you need. With all ze Weasleys, there are plenty of hands to get things done,” Fleur said reassuringly.

Audrey nodded. “Yes. One of the Ministry Coordinators recently arranged a conference I attended for a legal matter. I believe the Coordinator’s name was Marietta Edgecombe. Very quiet and unobtrusive, but she really pulled off a very tasteful affair. Do you know her?” Audrey asked.

“You haven’t dated her, too, ‘ave you?” Fleur asked, turning to Harry, eyes narrowed.

“No!” Harry yelped, feeling his neck grow very warm. Merlin, did they forget he’d been rather busy dodging a madman during his Hogwarts years? It wasn’t as if dating opportunities had been jumping out at him, anyway. He’d been lucky enough to find Ginny when he was still young — she’d found him, truth be told — and after everything that had gone so wrong in the other areas of his life, he felt as if he deserved this one thing to go so right.

“She did betray the DA once, though,” he said, feeling as if he ought to contribute something.

“I think we should meet with her and see what we think. She might’ve changed since school. What do you think?” Ginny asked, tilting her head to the side.

Harry shrugged. Honestly, the whole mess with Marietta seemed to have happened a lifetime ago. “All right.”

“As I remember, she joined the DA because she was friends with Cho. Funny they ended up working together, too,” Ginny said thoughtfully.

“Well, to be honest, since they’re in the same department, they’re all fairly friendly,” Audrey said. “I think no matter which Coordinator you chose, they’ll likely be friendly with her, so don’t let that be your deciding factor.”

Percy straightened up and adjusted his glasses, apparently ready to re-enter the fray now that he wasn’t being scolded. “I know you’ll do what you want, but I really hope you’ll heed my suggestions as I only have your best interests at heart. Listen to whichever Coordinator you choose, and consider her input on the wedding, as well. You need to consider your future prospects,” he said, staring at Harry specifically. “You’re a rising star at the Ministry, everyone knows it. Owen isn’t polished enough to ever be placed in a position of authority. Your name is already being tossed about as a successor to Gawain Robards, but you need to be careful of your penchant of flouting authority. Careful grooming of the people who matter will serve you well.”

Percy managed to get that all out with only a hint of resentment betrayed in his voice. Harry, however, thought Percy was up a tree. He’d only been with the Ministry for a few years.

“I’ll keep that in mind, Percy,” he said offhandedly.

“Are you going to wear ze same outfit for both occasions, or a different one for each?” Fleur asked eagerly.

“Different, I think. What if I spill something? Then, I’d look ridiculous,” Ginny replied.

“Does that mean I have to get two, as well?” Harry asked.

“Of course, it does. There will be loads of photographers, and it’ll just be silly eef Ginny is looking gorgeous, and you’re just looking rumpled,” Fleur said, looking at Harry as if he had three heads.

“That’s going to happen anyway,” Harry said, feeling Ginny always looked gorgeous no matter what she was wearing.

“No, it isn’t, but we don’t need to give Rita Skeeter and the rest of those hags easy fodder. Let them work to find something to criticize us about,” Ginny said firmly, taking Harry’s hand in her own and giving it a squeeze.

Harry privately thought the press would do that no matter what they did, but he wasn’t about to say that to these witches who already looked ready to pounce on someone. He’d never appreciated how much thought went into planning a wedding.

“Speaking of that, are you going to make a statement to the press?” Mr. Weasley asked. He’d managed to remain out of the conversation so far, but now he was looking at the young couple with concern.

“Statement?” Harry asked blankly.

“Yeah, the Quidditch League sent me a letter asking about that, as well. They want to be involved, but I’d like to get ahead of it on our own,” Ginny replied.

“How are things going with the team?” Mr. Weasley asked.

Ginny frowned, choosing her words thoughtfully. “It’s odd. We had the Memorial for Theresa, and the Magpies did the same for their Chaser, but getting a new player ready to go in a few short weeks is no easy task. It just all feels so awkward. It’ll be such a short season before winter break, then we’re adding a few more matches in the spring to try and balance it out.”

“It’ll be strange to go to a match and be around that many people. Even just shopping in Diagon Alley makes me uncomfortable,” Audrey said.

“I know. I felt that way the first day I walked on the street. It faded quickly, though, and now I barely noticed it,” Harry said, recalling that first day back to work.

“Did you get some decorations for your flat?” Fleur asked.

Audrey nodded happily. “I did! Thankfully, Percy had already had his own flat, so we had some furniture, at least. Everything was closed, so the walls remained bare until now.”

“That’s one less thing we have to worry about,” Ginny said, winking.

“Aren’t you going to get your own place to start your married life?” Audrey asked, eyes wide.

Harry and Ginny looked at each other, stunned. Neither of them had even considered leaving Grimmauld Place.

Ginny shook her head. “We hadn’t planned on it. We’re happy where we are.”

“Yes, but you want to build your own life once you make such a monumental commitment,” Percy said.

“I think eventually, Ron and Hermione will settle down, and George and Angelina seem on the same track. I’d like us all to stay together for a bit longer while we can,” Harry said. He enjoyed living with the others. It felt like having a family, and he didn’t think the fact that he and Ginny would share a name needed to change that. He couldn’t be any more committed to her than he already was.

Fleur nodded. “Zis is true. Once les enfants begin to appear, you’ll all need more space. Might as well enjoy your time now.”

As the dinner was consumed and the pudding served, Bill had been quietly multiplying the supply of wine bottles when his mother wasn’t watching. They were all in good spirits as Ron and George readied the Whiz-bangs for a display. Harry quickly disappeared into The Burrow to use the toilet before the show. When he came downstairs, he found Mrs. Weasley in the kitchen, stowing away what little food remained.

“Can I help you with anything, Mrs. Weasley?” he asked, looking around for somewhere he could simply pitch in.

“Not to worry, Harry. I’m just putting the food away. You know,” she said suddenly, spinning around and placing her hands on her hips, “we’re going to have to come up with something else for you to call me.”

“Pardon?” he asked, perplexed.

“Well, if we’re going to be related, you can’t keep up using Mrs. Weasley. I realize ‘Mum’ might be awkward for you, although you’re more than welcome to try if you like. How about we try just Molly?” she asked kindly.

“Molly,” he said, testing it. It seemed very odd indeed to call her by her first name, and she seemed to know it.

“Well, it is my name, after all. You work on calling us Molly and Arthur, and I’ll let you know if anything else occurs to me. How does that sound?” she asked briskly.

Harry knew she was being very business-like for his own comfort, and he loved her all the more for it. He swallowed heavily.

“I really don’t think I could pull off Mu— er… what Ginny calls you, but not because I don’t appreciate all you’ve both done for me. This watch you gave me when I came of age is still one of my most cherished possessions,” he said, feeling rather stupid.

Molly’s eyes filled as she looked at her brother’s watch strapped to Harry’s wrist. “It needed to remain in the family,” she said, smiling through her watery eyes.

“About that,” Harry said, taking a deep breath. “When Ginny and I were talking about our wedding plans, we talked about her dancing with her father.”

“Arthur has always looked forward to that,” Molly said.

“Er… I was wondering… if it’s not too much trouble… er, ifyou’dwanttodancewithme?” he asked, the words rushing out in a gasp at the end.

Mrs. Weasley frowned, trying to decipher his garble. “What’s that, dear?” she asked absently, turning back to putting the food away.

Harry took another deep, calming breath. He could do this. “I was wondering if you’d want to dance with me when Ginny and her dad do?” he said, proud that he’d kept his voice fairly steady.

Molly’s back was to him, but he saw her go ramrod stiff before slowly turning around, looking stunned.

“Er… you don’t have to,” he said, alarmed by her expression.

She promptly burst into tears, dropped her food containers on the floor and flung her arms around him, attempting to squeeze the life out of him. He patted her on the back awkwardly.

“Mrs— Molly, it’s all right, really. There’s no need to fuss,” he stammered, uncertain if she was upset because she was overcome with emotion that he’d asked her, or if she hated the idea and didn’t want to say no.

“Harry James Potter,” she said, pressing his cheeks between her hands so his face scrunched up. “I would be honored to dance with you during the parental dance at your wedding. I’m beyond touched that you thought of me.”

Harry pulled his face from her hands and hugged her again. “Of course, it should be you,” he said, his own throat rather tight. “I’m well aware who’s been darning my socks since I was twelve years old, and who sent me my first Christmas present before even being properly introduced.”

It took quite some time to calm Molly down enough for her and Harry to rejoin the celebration and watch the Whiz-bangs.

/* /* /* /*


Ginny used the Visitor’s Entrance when she arrived at the Ministry. Harry had planned to meet her in the Atrium, but she’d received a Patronus that he was running late because he was questioning a suspect, and that he’d meet her there. They had an appointment in the Department of International Magical Cooperation with several Event and Conference Coordinators. Percy had sent her a list of all of them, including some photographs of parties they’d planned.

Most of the Coordinators were closer to her mum’s age than her own, so Ginny had focused on the four closest to her own age. She’d already ruled out Cho, so that left Marietta, a witch called Cressida Kane who Ginny remembered as once dating Bill, and another witch called Fiona Mason, who’d once dated Charlie. Ginny had entirely too many brothers.

She didn’t remember Fiona at all, but the way Charlie winced when she’d asked him about her led Ginny to believe the break-up hadn’t been mutual.

Although Bill and Cressida had separated on friendly terms, her style was very frilly and girlish — something that made both her and Harry cringe. That left Marietta. Ginny had to admit, her photographs were lovely, and she seemed to adapt well to all different sorts of requests, and everything seemed elegant and tasteful. They’d agreed to meet with Marietta today, and apparently, her department head was going to sit in.

She and Harry had discussed Marietta and her betrayal of the DA at length. Harry was more wary than Ginny was, but he’d always been cautious with his trust, and once it was broken, that was a huge hurdle to overcome. While Ginny wasn’t pleased with Marietta’s actions at Hogwarts, she was more generous with second chances — at least for things other than becoming a Death Eater. She’d certainly needed people to give her a second chance after her disastrous first year. She hated to think what would’ve happened if her roommates hadn’t done so.

Marietta had been young and under a lot of pressure from her mother. Perhaps she’d learned a lot about herself after the collapse of the DA and Umbridge’s takeover of Hogwarts. Ginny was willing to talk with her and listen to her ideas about their party. If either her own or Harry’s gut said Marietta wasn’t the right person, they’d simply have to choose one of the older witches.

Ginny curled in on herself as she pressed the button for the lift. It felt odd to be surrounded by so many strangers. Ginny’s memories had all returned, though she still couldn’t stop herself listing things in her head to be certain. Those odd lapses that had been frequent when she’d first come out of her coma were few and far between now, and the Healers told her they thought they’d eventually disappear completely.

When the lift stopped on the fifth floor, she stepped off, allowing the push of strangers — who all knew exactly where they were going and appeared in such a rush to get there — past her. This was the floor where her father worked, so she’d been here before, but she wasn’t certain where the conference room was where she was supposed to meet Marietta. When the bell from another lift sounded, she felt relief seeping through her as Harry hurriedly stepped off, his whole countenance brightening when he saw her.

“You’re here! I was afraid I’d be late,” he said, leaning down to kiss her check. Ginny felt her confidence rising simply because of his presence. He looked very handsome in his scarlet Auror robes.

“I just arrived,” she said, shaking her head. “D’you know where this conference room is?”

Harry nodded, and put his arm around her waist to steer her in the right direction. “I have to admit, I’m glad Percy isn’t sitting in on this one,” he said. “Hopefully, it’ll be less stuffy.”

Ginny grinned. “My dad let slip that he wanted to come, but Kingsley assigned him somewhere else.”

“I’ll have to remember to send my appreciation to the Minister, then,” Harry quipped.

“It’s rather disheartening that the Minister for Magic is more on our side than my own brother,” Ginny said, frowning. She hadn’t let go of her irritation with Percy from trying to insist she should turn her wedding plans over to the Ministry Coordinator.

Harry shrugged. “I can sort of understand how he feels. I mean, he had to give up his own wedding because of the contagion, so it’s natural to be envious of all the attention ours is generating,” he said, his cheeks growing pink.

Ginny felt a surge of affection. Harry still hated having to admit anything to do with him was special. It was quite adorable, actually. She, however, felt she could see her brother’s actions more clearly and without the rose-tinted hue.

“He tried to use his own wedding as a stepping-stone for prestige. Don’t pretend anything different. He’s annoyed that you’re being handed everything he wants, and you don’t even care,” Ginny said sagely.

“It’s not that I don’t care. I’m not ungrateful or anything. It’s just… my role is over. I wish they’d stop all the fuss,” he said, his cheeks nearly glowing.

“I know,” Ginny said consolingly, patting his arm.

“This is it,” Harry said, indicating an unobtrusive door. He rapped his knuckles a few times, but when there was no response, he pushed it open. The room was empty.

“Looks like we’re the first ones here. I don’t think that’s ever happened to me before,” Ginny said, giggling. She was notoriously running late for everything. Sometimes, her team captain made her fly extra laps depending upon how late she was.

It didn’t take long for the door to open again, and two witches joined them. Ginny recognized the younger as Marietta. Her curly hair was restrained on each side of her head by two barrettes. She wore a lot of heavy make-up, but Ginny could no longer detect the word “sneak” written across her face. She did have more acne than Ginny remembered, but perhaps that was due to the amount of make-up she wore.

The other woman was an older, formidable witch with shiny black hair that she wore tied back. She wasn’t heavy, but had a stocky, square-shouldered build, and she was dressed impeccably. Her bright red lips were the only bit of color she displayed.

“Mr. Potter, Miss Weasley, I’m Gladys Flint, Head Event and Conference Coordinator,” she said, reaching out to shake each of their hands firmly.

“Any relation to Marcus Flint?” Harry asked.

Gladys Flint’s cold dark eyes perused Harry warily. “He was my son,” she said, at last, the lines around her mouth tightening.

“I’m sorry for your loss,” Harry said quietly.

Ginny had only vague memories of the Slytherin team captain. She thought Fred and George might’ve had some sort of altercation with him, but she couldn’t recall all the details. She’d have to ask George later. She knew Marcus had joined the Death Eaters after leaving Hogwarts.

Gladys nodded. “I understand we’re here to plan a party to celebrate your nuptials. May I ask why the actual wedding isn’t being included in the event?” she asked briskly.

“Because we prefer to keep that private,” Ginny said, striving to keep her voice calm. Something told her that she was in for a similar battle to the one they’d avoided by Percy not being there. She couldn’t help but wonder if her brother had recruited Gladys to take up his role. Percy took the Ministry’s image very seriously.

Gladys’ smile didn’t quite reach her eyes, and Ginny felt as if both she and Harry were being sized up. Gladys Flint was sorely mistaken if she thought their age would allow her to push them around.

“Well, Marietta here has come up with some lovely ideas she wants to show you for a large gathering. However, I really think you ought to reconsider the idea of two separate events. Despite the fact the Ministry function is larger, it’ll be obvious that the smaller, more intimate gathering is the more significant of the two,” Gladys said.

Ginny found her incredibly condescending, and she struggled to keep from rolling her eyes. “Naturally. That’s where we’ll speak our vows,” she replied flippantly.

Gladys ignored the sarcasm. “Exactly. The wizarding world wants to be included in your joy after being so much a part of your tragedy. Leaving out certain high-ranking officials will only create turmoil and resentment in the new regime we’ve fought so hard to create,” Gladys said with syrupy sweetness.

“I highly doubt the lack of an invitation to our wedding will destabilize the government,” Harry said sarcastically.

Ginny, who’d been holding his hand since the meeting began, squeezed it in solidarity.

Glady pursed her lips, narrowing her eyes. “Perhaps not, but I assume the Minister will be in attendance?” she asked pointedly.

Ginny fired up. “The difference is, the Minister would be invited whether he was Minister or not. We’ve known each other since both Harry and I were teenagers, and he’s regularly a dinner guest of my parents.”

“Those who will be invited to the actual wedding will only be close friends and family — those people close enough to us who are willing to give up a whole weekend of their time just for us,” Harry said, his expression leaving no doubt he thought anyone would be mental for doing it.

Gladys smiled stiffly, perhaps deciding to try a different tact. “I see. Perhaps I could suggest moving the two parties further apart, to give more significance to the second, then.”

“No, we’ve told you the dates we’re available. If you’re unable to accommodate our wishes, we’re wasting our time,” Harry said, the tone of his voice making it clear he wasn’t going to compromise on this.

A knock at the door interrupted them. Arthur Weasley poked his head inside the room. As the Head of International Magical Cooperation, he was technically both Gladys and Marietta’s supervisor. It was obvious from their surprised expressions that neither of them had expected Arthur to make an appearance at the meeting.

“Arthur! What a pleasant surprise. Can I do something for you?” Gladys asked, looking derailed. It was obvious that she thought Arthur’s appearance was anything but pleasant.

Ginny didn’t know if it had been Percy’s idea to get Gladys involved in the planning, but she was certain that someone had tried to derail her plans. She suspected her father might be aware of it, as well. Why else would he have turned up here?

“I just thought I’d sit in to see how my daughter’s gala plans were coming along. Quite exciting,” Arthur said, sitting down on the same side of the table as Harry and Ginny, leaving no doubt where his loyalties lay.

“Yes, it is. We were just broaching the idea of including the wedding itself in those plans,” Gladys said, pulling herself together and attempting to draw Arthur’s parental influence to her aid.

“Oh, no. I think Ginny is quite firm on wanting to plan the wedding herself. An intimate, family affair,” Arthur said jovially.

Glady’s lips thinned, but she ploughed on undeterred. “Yes, but every bride could always use a bit of help.”

Arthur smiled easily. “True, true, but that’s Molly’s role. As a mother yourself, I’m certain you can appreciate the tight bond between a mother and daughter in preparing a wedding. I understand Harry and Ginny have selected Marietta as their planner. Why don’t we hear what she has in mind?”

Marietta looked as if she was trapped in a very bright light. Her eyes flicked back and forth uneasily between Arthur and Gladys. “Well…” she said, a slight tremor in her voice. She pulled out a handsome, leather-bound case from the chair beside her. “I’ve brought a few photographs of some ideas on decorations and table settings. I also have a suggested menu. You didn’t give me colors for your attendants, so it can all be accommodated for that.”

“We each have two attendants, and they’re wearing a deep, royal blue for the wedding, and a softer, icy blue for the gala. I thought both of those colors could be used,” Ginny answered promptly, thankful to Fleur, Audrey and Hermione who’d conferred with her on color ideas.

“Only two attendants? Usually the wedding party is larger for such a large crowd. I know you have a number of brothers,” Gladys said, simpering.

Ginny nodded. “Two of them — Ron and George — are Harry’s groomsmen, and my closest friends, Luna Lovegood and Hermione Granger are to be my bridesmaids. That’s all I need,” she said firmly.

Marietta’s face lost all its coloring, despite her heavy make-up, at the sound of Hermione’s name. Ginny made a mental note to watch how that unfolded and if Marietta could work with Hermione, however limited that contact might be.

“I see. So, you won’t be following traditional wizarding customs then. And you mentioned different robes for each occasion?” Gladys asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Yes,” Ginny said firmly. She’d already met with the Patil twins, who were designing outfits for both events.

“So, this means that the Ministry attendees won’t see you in your actual wedding attire?” Marietta asked, jotting down notes as they spoke.

“No. I plan to wear a dress for the wedding, and robes for the Ministry function,” Ginny said firmly. She and Harry had discussed it, and they’d decided robes would be more appropriate for the Ministry party.

“I see. And are the robes going to be white?” Gladys asked coldly.

“Excuse me?” Ginny asked, feeling color flooding her face. Her wand sparked of its own accord.

“I’m really not certain where you’re going with this, Gladys, but the question is inappropriate,” Arthur said sternly.

“Begging your pardon, no offense intended,” Gladys said, nodding. “We’re working on the color scheme, and most brides dress in white. Since you’re being so unconventional about it all, I thought it best to check.”

“My robes for the gala are white, with silver threading to catch the light,” Ginny said through clenched teeth.

“Pardon me, but why are you here?” Harry asked bluntly. “I thought this meeting was set up with the Coordinator we’d selected. That would be Marietta.”

“Yes, well, as Marietta’s supervisor, I thought I’d keep an eye on the proceedings. This is a large and important affair, after all. We wouldn’t want anything to slip through the cracks,” Gladys replied.

Marietta cleared her throat. “We can arrange for a wedding photograph to be displayed at the gala. That way everyone can still see you in your wedding dress. Will you be supplying me with a guest list, so I can add them to the Ministry list?” she asked, her voice a higher pitch than it had been previously.

“You can prepare the Ministry list, and we’ll add anyone that’s inadvertently missed. We’re leaving the politics of it all up to you, with one stipulation. There are to be no members of Voldemort’s inner circle in attendance,” Harry said, his green eyes flashing.

Marietta shrieked, and a violent shudder rocked Gladys when Harry said the name. Ginny couldn’t stop herself rolling her eyes this time.

Once she’d recovered, Gladys said, “There are a few old, respected Wizarding families—”

“No members of Voldemort’s inner circle will be in attendance. That is not negotiable,” Harry interrupted firmly.

“I don’t think that’s an unreasonable request,” Arthur said quietly, but there was a distinguishable edge to his voice.

“No, of course not,” Gladys backtracked. “The true inner circle is all locked away in Azkaban, as they should be, but for those family members who have served their time and are trying to reintegrate themselves into society — the Malfoys, for instance. Lucius has paid his debt, and he’s been a significant donor to worthy causes in the past.”

“Yes, we’re all aware of his penchant for bribing certain high-ranking officials. I’d hoped that sort of activity is being discouraged nowadays. Besides, if you’re looking to get him to donate to something, you’re wasting your time. The vast majority of his fortune and his holdings went to recompense the war,” Harry said coldly.

This time, color did suffuse Gladys’ face. “I wasn’t attempting any such thing,” she said quickly, glancing at Arthur nervously. “It was just an example of a prestigious old family.”

“A prestigious family with antiquated ideas on blood supremacy. From what the Minister has told me, he’s working hard to sweep out that sort of thinking and build a new Ministry. In fact, I’m going to ask that a copy of the guest list be supplied to him, as well,” Harry said. The anger that had laced his words since Gladys Flint had inquired about the color of Ginny’s dress robes flashing in his eyes now. Harry definitely wasn’t a fan of Marietta’s boss.

Marietta seemed to have come to the same conclusion. “Why don’t you take a look at my suggestions? You can send an owl with any changes or additional thoughts. We can each work on compiling lists for the two events, and that’ll give you plenty of time to make any changes you feel necessary. Does that sound all right to you?” she asked.

“Yes, that sounds perfect. Our next meeting can be more informal, perhaps just the three of us,” Ginny said pointedly. She wanted it to be clear that she’d work with Marietta, not Gladys. She was certain the elder witch would have her nose in everything behind the scenes, but they’d let Marietta deal with her.

“I’ll walk you out. Your mother was hoping I could convince the both of you to return to The Burrow for dinner,” Arthur said, his eyes sparkling.

Ginny bet her mum was dying for an update on how the gala plans went, and she wanted to ask her dad about the Head Coordinator. She could just imagine Molly’s reaction to Gladys Flint.

“We’d love to,” she said, smiling.



Reviews 207
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear