Search:

SIYE Time:17:23 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Hunter
By Gryffinclaw_31

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 53
Summary: All was well in the Wizarding World. When murders started occurring- seemingly at random, Auror Potter was given the job to solve it. How would he solve it with his new skills and a new life? 
Hitcount: Story Total: 20152; Chapter Total: 1048
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


He sharpened his dagger and chuckled. 'Hunter' they'd labelled him; it was amusing, very amusing. The scratchy sound echoed in the circular room, as the grey walls reflected it importantly.

"Sir, our scouts are back," a cloaked man said, nodding at him.

"Can you send Richard in, please?" He asked, sheathing the knife. He hummed a tune his mother had sung when she was alive.

"You called, Hunter?" asked a man in entire black; his face was pale, and occasionally, it contorted in pain.

"Sorry, Richard, you can get yourself treated after a brief report," Hunter asked.

"The Aurors showed up, but we got the prized possessions," Richard said, scorn laced his voice as he named the victims. "Potter was there as well, and I was disappointed by his reaction. He's turned to the other side; I'm telling you, Hunter."

Hunter tsked, "Pity. But I hear you did him damage?" His voice was dangerously low.

Richard paled even further. "I- I did, but he's still alive."

He shook his head, "Richard, if you were not so dear to me, you would have joined Potter in the hospital. We do not harm those who have not harmed us, and Potter, whatever he is doing, has helped us before."

Richard's jaw tightened, but he said nothing and nodded.

"Could you please ask John if the letters for sending to recruits ready? I do want to send them before our next meeting," he asked, sheathing the dagger.

Richard nodded, "I'll send you a Patronus."

He smiled, "Yes, please, go tend to yourself now."

Richard got up and scrunched his face for a split-second before sighing and walking out, not before saluting him. He brought out his pistol and polished it.

"Foolish, you foolish, foolish man." He muttered, wiping his brow.

"Why are you doing this?" A voice spoke from behind him. He turned around and sighed at the lady who stood there. She had a soft glow that made her skin look translucent, and her simple jeans and T-shirt only made her look more beautiful.

"Why am I doing what?" He murmured, his voice gentle for the first time in the evening.

"Polishing your gun, teaching innocent people how to kill, why?" She asked, stepping forward.

"Because you deserve it, and they deserve death- worse than death. They must feel that fear of being hunted, of death slowly walking towards them." He said sharply. He put his pistol in the case and took a different gun out.

"You don't mean to do this, love," she said, placing a hand on his shoulder. He shrugged her off.

"In fact, I do." He said.

"Hey, listen. It's okay. You're not thinking straight. Please, just listen to yourself for once."

"I hear myself every day; it's probably the only thing I hear." He was starting to get annoyed; they'd had this conversation many times.

She sat on his chair and whispered, "Where have you hidden the boy that was so noble, so brave, so kind?"

His hands shook as he tested the quality. "He's dead, okay? He died when he found out what happened." He said, feeling empty and alone. So alone.

"He's dead, and there is no one but me. Me, the Hunter. The Revenger. The Helper. And I will make sure the Hunted will know that," he laughed, a disconcerting sound he'd never heard. It took him time to realise it was his mouth making that sound. The laughter turned to moans, and the gun fell to the floor.

He gripped his head and shook it violently, "Stop messing with me. I know what to do, I know where to go, before I come to you, go. Please, go."

But when he opened his eyes, he found the chair empty, and the vision of his lover was gone, wasted on argument rather than love. He picked himself up as the emptiness returned and robotically loaded the gun. And with her, was gone the little boy who had hoped to help people in his future, who had been awarded his community's badge of honour, wasted.


OoOo

Few days after Arthur Weasley's birthday.

The Auror conference room was once again filled with various occupants.

"I want the exact details. The letter is to arrive soon," Harry said on his first day back at the office. His injuries were mostly healed, and save for more frequent headaches and a few dizzy spells, he was almost back to normal.

"The bomb is local, not imported. But it's been designed on order; you cannot find such manufactured unless you're a part of the army." Cassandra said.

"And where was it designed?" Ron asked, leaning forward on the table.

"A small town in the north, not designed there, but the materials were brought from a local shop. I went with Proudfoot to conduct a check, but I don't think the shopkeeper or anyone locally had any idea. Legillimency didn't give any different results." She said, Proudfoot, nodding in confirmation.

"Emily? Sebastian? Any news of this society?" Harry asked next.

"Yes, so this committee has existed for a long time, ever since the First Wizarding War. But recently, they got a new leader, although we could not find the name of this individual. The people only know him as 'The Helper', and most are very happy with him." Emily said.

Harry sighed, "At least we have some news. I have an inkling that 'The Helper and 'The Hunter' are not two different people. Why would a committee head hide their name?" He mused.

"Right, and helper of what? It's been three years since the war, and the Ministry has worked tirelessly under Kings-Shaklebolt to atone for the damage caused by the previous Minister." Ron said.

"Whatever it is, I think we should go in. But under disguise," Sebastian said. Harry nodded.

"Sebastian, you're a Muggleborn. Did you ever hear anything about this? And Harry, you're pacing again, sit down." Cassandra said, leaning back in her chair.

Harry looked at all of them sheepishly before taking his seat. The constant drumming on the table which followed did not stop. Sebastian shook his head.

"I didn't even know this existed. I think there're certain criteria you need to meet to join this committee." Sebastian said, shrugging.

"Then why did Hermione get selected?" Ron said, bitting the end of a quill.

"It says in the letter, Ron. For her work towards destigmatising the Muggleborns." Harry said.

There was a knock on the door. Sebastian, being the closest to the door, opened it.

Hermione walked in with a letter clutched in her hand.

"Harry," She faltered and handed him the letter. He did a quick Jinx-scan before opening it and reading it out loud.

Dear Miss Granger,

Since you did not respond to our previous letter stating a 'no', we assume that you are interested in joining us. Our next meeting is very soon, in a day or two, and this letter is a Portkey which will activate in due time. We do not have a fixed base, as we believe in accomodating the needs of all our members.
We once again advise you to not bring anyone who has not been invited, since we do not want disturbances in our working. Attached are also some documents you would need to sign to become a member. However, we give you the special case of signing them 'at' our meeting rather than before.

If you do not wish to join, you may still say so. Please send a letter back if you cannot come to the meeting. Otherwise, we sincerely hope to see you there.

Hoping you're well,
MWS


He looked up to see everyone's faces, either pale or concentrated. At some point, he had stood up again.

Proudfoot grunted in annoyance. "They couldn't even come up with a convincing letter."

"We should go," Harry said, and Hermione stood there confused. "Hermione..." Harry began, but Ron completed his sentence.

"She should stay. After all, we cannot go without her. And she's directly involved." Ron said.

Harry raised his hands in defence, "If everyone else is fine with it?"

"You're the boss, Harry. What you say goes," Cassandra said, a small smile on her lips.

Harry sighed, "Fine, you can stay, Hermione." he said, smiling at his old friend, who nodded and sat on the chair Ron had conjured.

Harry rubbed his hands, "So, we have to form teams. This served as the last evidence, there is something off. Who knows how many innocent Muggleborns or otherwise are there, we have to act fast."

"I suggest Ron, Cassandra, and I take the fieldwork. Sebastian as backup, and Emily and Proudfoot as controls. And I want constant monitoring of this letter. Is that okay with everyone?" Harry said. A general round of nods met him, Hermione looked somewhat confused but determined.

"Alright, let's crack this case." Harry said, clapping his hands.


OoOoOo
Author's note: I know I promised a longer chapter, and I'm so sorry I couldn't deliver it, but we're nearly at the end, so please keep a lookout for the next one! Only a few chapters remain for this story. A huge thank you to everyone who's been here since the start, or joined in, and supported me in my first ever long fanfic. Your constructive criticism and support really mean a lot, and it helps me stay consistent and devoted to writing. I hope that you'll be here till the end of this story and future ones, and once again, don't forget to leave a review!















Reviews 53
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear