Search:

SIYE Time:7:46 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Hunter
By Gryffinclaw_31

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 53
Summary: All was well in the Wizarding World. When murders started occurring- seemingly at random, Auror Potter was given the job to solve it. How would he solve it with his new skills and a new life? 
Hitcount: Story Total: 20155; Chapter Total: 1555
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


It had been a week since the two Audalixes died. After many interviews, with the heir to properties and associates, it was clear that Audalix's wife who'd been at a month-long visit to her family in France had nothing to do with the man's death. All properties and wealth were bequeathed to her.

"Potter!"

He took a step back to look at his freshly made mind map.

"Proudfoot?" He tied the red ribbon around another pin he'd stuck on his board.

"There's been another death," Proudfoot said in an urgent tone.

A cold feeling washed over Harry. He turned around to look at Proudfoot, whose eyes were wide in alarm, and his tie was only half-way done.

"Another death?" said Harry, voice barely above a whisper.

They had handed the case to Harry. Mainly because he was the only one, backed by Ron, Cassandra and a few others, who argued that it was a murder.

Shaking himself out of the reverie, he flicked his hand to Summon the scarlet robe, "Let's go,"

Proudfoot nodded sharply and locked his hand with Harry's. They mostly ignored the familiar sense of getting squeezed as scenarios ran through their heads.

It was a beautiful street, lamps adorned the place, and local stones radiated their importance readily. No attention was paid to the two Aurors, just as they wanted.

The magnificent Fawley Mansion loomed into the view. The windows were much like vacant eyes, and though the place looked well-kept, it radiated gloom and solitude. Harry looked at Proudfoot as if to signal 'shall we go in?' Proudfoot shrugged and half-nodded.

"Mr Potter!" A wail stopped him; he looked to the corridor on the right to see a small house-elf running towards him, he crouched down to its level.

"Hello," He said politely. The elf burst into a fresh wave of tears.

"Please don't cry. We need your help, please," Harry awkwardly patted the elf on the back.

It shook its head and wiped its nose on the cloth; Harry noted that it was much more beautiful than Dobby's old pillowcase.

"I is Dilly, Harry Potter, sir, I is taking care of mistress with the young mistress, I found mistress lying on the bed. Mistress never sleeps late, sir, so I go and check, she was not responding." Dilly's tears did not seem to stop pouring as she tried to wipe them.

Harry stood up, frowning, "Dilly, can you please take us to the other mistress?" He asked kindly.

Dilly tried to fix herself and nodded and quietly lead the way, an occasional sniff echoed loudly in the silent corridors.

The room was too dark, an old gramophone's voice floated gently. Harry had to squint very hard to make out things which barely reflected the soft light coming from the window painted with purple flowers, lush green bushes, and intricate golden threads.

"Mistress, the Aurors," Dilly said, sniffing. The classical music which was both sweet and it that setting, somewhat eerie stopped abruptly.

"Tell them to give me some time," A raspy voice answered from one of the corners of the room.

"This way," Dilly said, bowing. He nodded and stepped out into the ancient corridor.

"This place gives me the chills, where is the damn body?" Proudfoot said, leaning against the wall.

His pallid nature made him look much older, the subtle wrinkles and the grey hair on the side of his head stood out.

Harry sighed and rubbed his eyes from under his glasses.

"Have patience, Proudfoot," He said, though he mostly agreed with Proudfoot.

A lady in a black velvet dress stepped out of the room; a black veil artfully covered her face.

"This way, gentlemen," She said, and her voice, though sounding extremely sophisticated, gave the impression of great suffering and burden.

They silently followed her. Harry raised an eyebrow at Proudfoot and tilted his head in the lady's direction, Proudfoot shook his head and shrugged.

"My aunt is in this room," She said, pointing a gloved hand at a wooden door which Harry assumed was the crime scene, preparing himself, he turned the knob.

The room was pitch black, worse than the previous one.

Harry and Proudfoot lit their wands, illuminating the room softly.

"Is there any light in here?" Harry asked, ignoring the smell.

"Yes," said the lady, and she lit multiple small lamps in an instant.

A sob escaped the lady, but when she spoke, her voice wavered only slightly, "I will be waiting in the drawing-room, please do what you must."

Harry nodded sympathetically and shut the door behind him. The room showed no signs of violence, but the white sheets seemed to have been painted red.

"Merlin," Proudfoot whispered. Merlin indeed, all the glass in the chamber were broken, the bed's curtains were pierced.

It was chilling, and Harry cautiously walked to the body as Proudfoot did the same. He had to keep the bile inside as he looked at the pale body, her face was peaceful, as if killed in sleep.

"We need to get the blood checked, it can tell us how long she survived before dying," Proudfoot said, gruffly.

Harry backed away slowly and pinched his nose.

He flinched violently when a hand landed on his shoulder.

"Alright?" Proudfoot asked, not unkindly.

Harry nodded, "Sorry,"

He put on the gloves to avoid tampering with evidence and picked up the wand that once belonged to Madam Fowley.

"Prior Incantento."

"A slicing charm," He told Proudfoot, confirming his suspicions.

"There's nothing else here, I've cut out a piece of the sheets for analysis," Proudfoot said, shaking his head.

Harry nodded and turned away from the body, "Maybe 'mistress' could tell us what happened, I'm calling Emily to send her team," He said, turning to his wristband-communicator beside Fabian Prewett's watch.

He was just about to leave the room when he noticed something sparkling in his peripheral vision. He walked over cautiously and sighed when he saw it was just another mirror- until he noticed a ripped parchment buried below it.

He put on his gloves once again to pick and read it,

When everything has fallen back- the sides will reverse- they will understand their crimes.

"Strange," He murmured, flipping it over to see anything on the back. The neat cursive seemed to mock him.

"Coming?" Proudfoot asked from the hallway, he pocketed the note (sealed of course) and followed Dilly.

OoOo

She sat in an armchair in the great drawing-room, the thick curtains were drawn, and the fire was almost out.

"When did you find out?" Harry asked. "Miss," He added.

"Please be seated," The lady said gesturing to the sofa parallel to her.

"Bring tea for the guests, please, Dilly," Dilly bobbled her neck and exited the room.

"I am Amelie Fawley. I came here to visit Tante from Germany; I am her only family. I have only been here for two weeks, and I found Tante in the pool of blood this morning. Nobody can enter or exit the house.

I do not know how she died, but you must find out, please,"

"We're so sorry for your loss, miss Fawley, but did you see anything irregular in your aunt's behaviour in the past days? Has anyone visited you?" He asked.

"Nee, she was perfect yesterday, we were going to visit the park today, then Dilly woke me up and told me what had happened-" She stopped abruptly as if to gain her composure.

"I have to handle her papers and properties. And arrange for a funeral, but you must find out who did this to her. She has never done anything bad for anyone!" She spoke in a frantic tone.

He flinched as Proudfoot nudged him, breaking his chain of thoughts.

"Please calm yourself, miss, we will find out what happened to your aunt," Proudfoot said in his low, in this case, calming, voice.

The lady gripped the head of the armchair and nodded, "Be sure that you do,"

"We'll send a team shortly, please answer all their questions and let them examine your aunt's body, we will take your leave now," Harry said, nodding sharply.

"When can I expect them?" She said bravely.

"Soon," Proudfoot said, already walking towards the door.

She turned away from them, signalling that the conversation was over.

He followed Proudfoot out of the mansion.

"This just got a whole lot complicated, didn't it?" Proudfoot said gruffly, kicking the pebble.

Harry nodded and turned around, "This would be the room, right?" He said, pointing at the farthest room on the second floor, the curtains reminded Harry of some Muggle horror show he had, accidentally, seen his uncle watch.

Proudfoot scratched his chin, "I think so, it should be,"

"How do you think someone could've gotten up there? A ladder?" Harry asked, hoping that something would make sense.

"We're going to have to come back, I've got a feeling that this is far from over," Proudfoot replied. His tone had a peculiar heaviness to it.

With that said, the two men apparated away.


OoOoOoOo

Author's note: Let me know if you liked it, things are going to happen faster now! Your reviews allow me to connect with you and to understand your views, and your latest theories. You all motivate me to give my best, and I always reply!
Reviews 53
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear