Search:

SIYE Time:23:59 on 18th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Hunter
By Gryffinclaw_31

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 53
Summary: All was well in the Wizarding World. When murders started occurring- seemingly at random, Auror Potter was given the job to solve it. How would he solve it with his new skills and a new life? 
Hitcount: Story Total: 20274; Chapter Total: 1206
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


The web of red strings only grew bigger as Harry put different notes on it. The lack of direct sunlight meant that the loose lamp was the only source, making things seem rather gloomy.

"Imperius Curse," Harry said, or rather exclaimed, after pinning the crime scene photographs on the wall.

"Huh?" Ron asked, clearly perplexed as he sat on the edge of Harry's table.

"Remember Hepzibah Smith's elf? Or forgetfulness potions or charms!"

Ron shook his head, "Mate, you're not making much sense here,"

But Harry's gears were already turning, if somebody would've Imperiused Dilly- and then used a Memory Charm.

"No," Ron said, startling him out of his thoughts.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked, annoyed at Ron's stark 'no'.

"I can see where you're going with it, but if anyone used an Unforgivable, we would have detected it," Ron said.

"I suppose," Harry muttered.

"I mean there's no doubt that it's the same person, this 'Hunter'," He said, making quotation marks with his hands.

Ron made a sound of approval, "It's not like he's after money," He said, sounding deep in thought.

"I don't know about family feuds either, as far as I know, Fawley were always peaceful, and then her niece who's the only family left," Harry added.

"So what could it be-" Harry made a big red question mark in the centre of the strings.

"What was the note again?" Ron asked.

"When everything has fallen back- the sides will reverse- they will understand their crimes." Harry read from the note.

"It seems like a riddle- but then, it's pretty straightforward too," Ron said, crossing his arms.

"The sides will reverse- what's that supposed to mean?" Harry asked frowning.

"I don't know mate. It doesn't make sense," Ron answered.

Harry rubbed his face; this was getting ridiculous.

Agatha Fawley was a respected citizen who was adored by everyone. Yet she was murdered, and in the same way as Audalix. Emily's investigations again showed that it was Fawley's wand which had performed the Slicing Charm, and it had no fingerprints except for the lady's.

The glass was the only link, besides the victim, between the two cases.

"We just have to wait for more information," Ron hopped off the table.

"Three deaths, Ron, that's a lot," Harry said gravely.

"I'm going to hold a meeting, soon," Harry added, staring desperately at the jumbled chart with red yarn holding all the pictured together. He sighed and stepped back finally, settling his arms around his waist as he searched for some obvious clue.

"Hermione was calling us for lunch," Ron said, halfway to the door.

"I'll join you guys in a minute," Harry said, nodding.

"See you in a bit,"

The Audalix and the Fawley had nothing in common, no war connections, and funnily enough, Harry couldn't find any family connections except very early marriages.

Harry slapped his head. They were both Purebloods! But as far as Harry knew, the Fawley, though in the Sacred twenty-eight, never boasted or flashed their 'purity'.

Eager to tell Ron, he made a quick note before locking the room.

Hermione and Ron were in a quiet conversation in the booth when he dropped by.

"Harry!" Hermione said as Harry casually put her documents on his chair aside.

"Afternoon Hermione,
What were you guys talking about?" He smiled.

"Nothing, except Ron notifying me of the Cannons," Hermione replied, looking exasperated.

"He does that all the time, you should've gotten used to it by now," He said, smirking.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Ron asked as he took another large bite of sandwich.

"Not hungry," Harry replied, waving his hand. "What have you been up to, Hermione?"

"We're a step closer to presenting the evidence of the usage of using derogatory terms for House-elves, lesser-known species, and even Muggleborns in situations and text, to the Wizengamot. This should make it illegal or at least much tougher for someone to use them." Hermione replied, her passion evident.

"Let us know if you need any help," Harry said, pointing towards Ron who nodded as well.

They talked about mundane topics, weekend plans until the topic settled on their case.

"They're all Purebloods?" Ron asked, immediately furrowing his eyebrows.

"Yeah," Harry replied.

"That's very strange. Purebloods are mostly left alone." Hermione said, glancing at Ron, he shrugged.

"Harry," Ron began.

"Yeah," Harry asked, Ron had a very thoughtful look on his face.

Ron looked around and shook his head, "We need to talk, later,"

Harry shrugged, raising an eyebrow.

"Look at the time! I have a meeting in fifteen minutes," Hermione said hurriedly as she stood up. Harry and Ron offered to drop her to her office, and the three friends walked to the second floor. Two of them calming the third before her meeting.

OoOo

Ron's office was just as untidy as Harry's. Various Quidditch magazines were stacked on the stool beside the bookshelf. Surprisingly enough, Ron's pile of paperwork was much smaller than Harry's, reminding Harry that musing about work was not the same as doing it.

On the desk was an antique chess set, he could tell that the game was halfway through, by judging the board. Ron claimed by playing against the pieces themselves helped him better understand techniques.

"I was thinking," Ron started, gesturing at Harry to take a seat.

"When you mentioned how the only common thing between them is that they're both Purebloods," Ron said, clearing his desk of the bits of parchment. "Could it be something like an act of revenge? From the Insignificant Death-Eaters?"

Harry stroked his chin, Insignificant-Death-Eaters or IDE was a category for those followers of Voldemort who didn't commit crimes necessarily, and thus were not sentenced, but helped Voldemort. That included a few Snatchers and certain Pureblood families.

"Something like Karkaroff!" Harry murmured, jumping from the chair.

"Yes, because Audalix didn't help them the second time, and Fawley.."

Harry continued Ron's chain of thoughts, "Fawley was neutral, she allowed Death-Eaters and Muggleborns to take shelter there, but never to harm each other,"

"She was a remarkable woman, funny they didn't call her a blood traitor," Ron finished sourly.

"They wouldn't have done anything then, because Voldemort needed bases. But now, they could've easily done it- gotten rid of her. They probably didn't do anything on Voldemort's orders, but perhaps they did think she's a blood traitor," Harry said, the thing falling into place.

"Looks like we're going to have to pay a visit to Azkaban," Ron said, sighing.

Harry pinched his nose at the sudden headache that was starting to form, "And to look through files,"

"I'll hold the meeting tomorrow," Harry said, decidedly.

"Who're we involving?" Ron asked, casually popping Honeyduke's Fizzing Whizzbees into his mouth and offering Harry, to which he shook his head distractedly.

"Proudfoot, Cassie, Emily- maybe, Sebastian," Harry said, counting the names on his fingers. Ron nodded.

"Does that make you a target?" Harry murmured, the realisation hitting him. Suddenly the idea of Ginny being all alone at Holyhead didn't sound so good.

Ron had stilled behind him; he thumped Harry's back, "Don't worry mate, it's going to take more than a bunch of amateurs to hurt the Weasleys,"

He forced a smile and shrugged. "I'll send them all a memo, and get working and sign off the last of the files, maybe we can ask a trainee to look at the Snatcher files,"

Ron waved at him as he crossed the lobby and entered his cubicle, opposite to Ron's, and locked the door. The headache was growing more pronounced; he rubbed his temples tiredly as he sat on his chair.

Scolding himself for putting the work off until the last minute, he started to sort the files and try finishing his paperwork. Of course, as all minds do, Harry's mind wandered to the case as he reviewed a bunch of files that were written by second-year trainees, annotating it at places where he thought the information was not enough.

All the three had died without a trace of any external force, curses from their own wands. The only links they had were the social status and the Slicing Charm. He quickly scribbled a memo to the Aurors he wanted on the case and duplicated it for each. Next, he wrote a short note for the timings he wanted to go to Azkaban. The uneven paper-plane zoomed around the room before landing into the 'out' tray and vanishing.

OoOo

Author's note: I promise next one will be longer! Do leave a review letting me know your theories and feedback, they never fail to make my day, and I always reply! I'm not too happy with how this turns out, but better chapters await!
Reviews 53
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear