Search:

SIYE Time:13:42 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Hunter
By Gryffinclaw_31

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/AB
Characters:All, Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: Death, Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 53
Summary: All was well in the Wizarding World. When murders started occurring- seemingly at random, Auror Potter was given the job to solve it. How would he solve it with his new skills and a new life? 
Hitcount: Story Total: 20157; Chapter Total: 1144
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


The cafeteria was buzzing with voices when Harry dropped beside Ron in their private compartment. A stranger with blonde hair and a peculiar scar on the cheek sat beside Hermione. Being aware of how uncomfortable it was when someone stared at his scar, he quickly averted his eyes.

"Harry! You're always late." Hermione admonished him. Harry shrugged and managed to smile. Ron shook his head in exasperation and offered him the food tray he'd kept beside him.

"This is Derek Williams. He's new to our department," Derek smiled politely.

"And Derek, this is- well, nevermind. Harry doesn't need an introduction," Derek let out a low chuckle and extended his hand.

"Nice to meet you. Do forgive me if it takes a while before I stop hero-worshipping you and Ron." Derek beamed.

Harry grinned tiredly, "Yeah, I'm afraid, I'm not nearly as cool."

"Nonsense, from what Hermione has told me, you guys are a bit of a legend," he replied.

"So, I called you both to tell you that," Hermione began, and Harry saw her bounce in excitement.

"The wizengamot is reviewing our proposal!" She burst out.

Harry smiled genuinely, "Congratulations, Hermione!" he exclaimed.

"That's my girl!" Ron said proudly.

"Thanks, Derek helped too," she said, to which Derek blushed.

"Only a bit," he added.

They directed the conversation pleasantly, in which Derek revealed that he was two years older than them and that he lived alone.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but I recently heard about the incident related to Holyhead Harpies. I hope your sister is alright?" Derek asked Ron.

The three seemed to freeze for a minute before recovering. Ron smiled tightly, "Ginny is doing just fine,"

"That's good. I did hope no one else was hurt; the press release wasn't very clear." Derek said.

"Sorry?" Harry asked, pulling himself from his thoughts for a moment.

"Isn't it horrible enough that something like that happened to an acclaimed Beater? I would hate for other players to be hurt." Derek's voice held a note of sadness.

Hermione nudged Derek, "Harry's working on the case."

Derek's eyes widened. "Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it like that-, I was just concerned,"

"No, it's alright," Harry said, "don't worry."

Harry nodded at Ron, who stuffed the last bit of desert in his mouth.

Harry stood up as Ron said "Messhing-bow. Coming?"

Harry smirked at his antics. If Hermione hadn't been so skilled, as displayed by the confusion on Derek's face, she wouldn't have interpreted the "meeting now".

Hermione waved her wand to transport the paper plates into the bin. "Let's go."

The four walked at a normal pace, talking about Hermione's proposal until they reached DMLE.

"Don't stress too much," Hermione whispered in his ears as he hugged her.

Harry hummed, pulling back, "You know I'll try my best."

Hermione just shook her head before accepting a kiss from Ron. Harry looked at his battered watch, and at Ron, who was mumbling something in Hermione's ear. He did not want to know the reason behind that smile.

"Ron, mate?" He called.

"Are they always like that?" Derek asked he was smirking.

"Yeah, pretty much, you should see them on holidays." Harry shook his head. "Oi, lovebirds." He snapped his fingers to get their attention.

"Sorry, Harry," Hermione said blushing. She gave Ron a quick peck before stepping back.

"Shall we leave them now, Derek?" Hermione asked as Ron moved to stand beside Harry.

Harry shook hands with Derek. "Pleasure meeting you, Derek. Bye, Hermione."

"The pleasure was all mine," Derek said, smiling, before leaving for the lift with Hermione. The two Aurors made their way to the meeting room.

OoOo

"Are we getting on anywhere?" Harry asked as soon as he entered.

"This keeps getting more complicated, Harry. Do you want to interview suspects, because I'm getting nowhere," Cassie said, as she rubbed her temples tiredly.

"We know that there is a direct Death-Eater contact going on here, and someone out there is not happy with those who aren't in Azkaban." Sebastian summarised.

"I think we need to look for more people than the Insignificant Death-Eaters. Maybe, our vision has narrowed so much that we're missing other clues." Harry said, staring at the chalk dust under the blackboard.

"Something big is coming; we have to stop it before it does," Proudfoot said, and at that moment, Harry couldn't help but feel dejected.

"I will come with you, Cassie, to try and get something out of those Snatchers. Others- please carry on. We'll meet soon." Harry said. He saw the frustration reflected off the faces of his companions as they murmured goodbyes.

He thought about how it was funny that people expected them to be solving cases more smartly, with the murderer behind bars in an hour- like the muggle films he watched these days.

Harry, Cassie and Ron and headed to the interrogation cells.

OoOo

He saw pointed staring as he exited the office that evening. Sighing and ignoring them, he wondered what the Prophet had said now, or were they all like Derek? Thinking that the Auror's were lost.

"How was your day?" Ginny asked when he, yet again, stumbled out of the Floo, coughing.

"Alright," Harry said, dropping his robes on the armchair.

"Yours?"

"Normal, I went to the Burrow to help mum," Ginny said, giving him a peck.

He flopped on the chair and curled his legs as Ginny went to get the tea.

"Harry. You're making the vase float, and the plates!" Ginny's voice rang from the kitchen, jolting Harry out. He heard a resounding crash come from somewhere behind him.

"Ginny! Are you alright? Oh, Merlin, I'm so sorry, I don't know how," Harry whispered, slapping his palm on his forehead.

"I'm fine," Ginny said soothingly, repairing the objects with a wave of her wand "You don't look like you could say the same about yourself."

His sudden panic calmed somewhat, as he reminded himself that magic could fix broken things. He was not a nine-year-old about to get a punishment.

"I'm sorry, Ginny, I didn't notice," Harry rubbed the back of his neck and crouched to pick the flowers off the ground.

Ginny shushed him and led them back to the sofa. Briefly, Harry remembered a similar scene happening a few days ago; only with switched positions.

"Busy day?" Ginny asked softly, handing him his cup.

He inhaled the warm aroma and shrugged. "I'm just tired," he muttered.

"Harry, there's more to it than that. You don't need to give me details, love. But I'm here to hear you out, okay?" Ginny said, brushing the hair out of his eyes.

He looked at the tea and sighed. "I don't understand why this is happening, we don't know what to do, and people are dying everywhere."

"It's not your fault, Harry," Ginny said, scraping her nails against his head gently.

"I'm responsible for this team, Gin. And this is not a single murder mystery, these are consecutive cases one after the other, and I have no idea which direction I should go in," Harry set his cup on the coffee table and leaned back into the sofa.

"Harry, you're twenty-years-old, you've only begun your career as an Auror, it's okay to be confused. And you have people like Proudfoot, who've been in this since we were children. They're just as stuck, aren't they?" Ginny turned Harry's head towards her.

"You knew that it won't always be easy, that this is different from all those mystery novels. It'll take time, but I know you'll figure it out, it may take you days- months even. But I know the kind of person you are, and I know that you'll be alright." She continued.

Harry lowered his head.

"Harry, listen to me, alright? You're not at fault. You're trying your best. And you'll continue to do so, and that's all that you can give."

"Yeah," Harry said, closing his eyes and leaning into her touch.

"How do you always know what to say?" He murmured into her neck.

"Oh, the walls aren't very thick here, and you talk in your sleep," Ginny said, laughter evident in her voice.

Harry felt some lightness return to his body as he heard Ginny sound better than she had in the past few days. He peeked an eye open to see her staring right at him.

"Then maybe I should place a Silencing Charm before the neighbours hear my fingers bothering you!" Harry said, and began his merciless tickling.

Ginny gasped before trying to twist away as peals of laughter erupted from her mouth. "Harry! You'll pay for this!" She said between breaths that he allowed her.

OoOoOo

Author's note: Here's the next chapter. I have some very important events coming up- I do apologise for how short it is! Coming chapters may start being more intense. I wanted to thank all the reviewers for their lovely reviews; they mean so much to me as they're the only way I know how I'm doing! Until next time, thanks for reading and reviewing! (P.S. here's a random question: do you like one-shots more, or stories or do they hold equal places?)









Reviews 53
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear