Search:

SIYE Time:0:33 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


HP: Unspeakable
By _kb_

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Ron Weasley
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 65
Summary: The head of the Unspeakables makes Harry an offer to train and help him after Sirius is killed. He finds life isn't quite like he thought it would be.
Hitcount: Story Total: 22400; Chapter Total: 1444
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


=Aftermath Part 2=

[Tue, Dec 24]

Amelia Bones smiled and managed to keep her snort of amusement from coming out, or so she thought until her great-niece who’d come over for the day asked, “What’s so funny in the newspaper, Aunty?”

She looked at Susan and pointed to the headlined article. “DMLE Fails to Find Missing People,” she read before going to the first paragraph. “This doesn’t sound good for you that you can’t find missing leaders of our society,” the girl questioned.

“Ordinarily, you’d be right,” Amelia said, “but what the article is failing to point out, and I guess I need to hold a press conference to emphasize, is that those people are all suspected Death Eaters and have been on our ‘watchlist’ for years. If fact, we know that most of them have the Dark Mark; a few of them are new, but the ones who fought in the last war that ended in 1981 are well known.

“This will blow over,” Amelia told her, “just like that issue with Lucius Malfoy and his son going missing. Once we pointed out they were suspected Death Eaters, the general public stopped caring. The old Traditionalists in the Wizengamot held onto it a little longer because he gave them support, but even they eventually gave it up as there was no proof over what happened. If people want to leave, they leave and that’s not a crime; in addition, there was never any evidence that Lucius Malfoy, his son, nor his friend Goyle Sr were kidnapped.”

Susan was quiet for a moment. “What’s the difference between that and Harry Potter leaving school?”

“For one,” Amelia explained, “that was a natural point where students can leave and he made his decision very clear in a letter -- Professor McGonagall told me. He didn’t just disappear. Second, he’s been seen multiple times since.”

“Oh, right, I did see him once in the Three Broomsticks with his friends,” said Susan as she flipped the paper over and then looked closer. “What’s this about Gringotts not allowing people in their vaults? How can they do that?” she asked a little outraged.

“Ah, yes, that’s amusing and connected to the other topic.”

“How is that amusing?” Susan asked perplexed.

“What’s really happening is the family members of the missing persons are fighting over access and who really controls the vaults in the missing person’s name and the family vault if that person was the head of their family. You can think of it like a money grab. The Goblins are really in the right in this case as the person hasn’t been declared dead and can’t be for some time. I find it amusing to see the other side have their share of troubles for once.”

“I guess I can understand a little,” Susan said thoughtfully.

“It’s rumored, and I personally believe it to be true,” Amelia told her niece, “that the Goblins have a way to determine when the owner an older family vault dies, but there is no requirement that they share that information and it appears they aren’t in these cases. That adds to my amusement.”




[Sat, Dec 28]

Albus Dumbledore watched an owl with a letter tied to his leg just stand there and look at him. It had been a week since he’d last seen Severus and he was officially worried for the man, fearing the worst. That there had been no attacks by Tom or the Death Eaters was not lost on him either. He’d have to write Harry soon to see what the lad knew; perhaps he’d had a vision.

Not wanting to do it because it’d put his spy in jeopardy but having little recourse, he cast his Patronus with a message of “It’s urgent that I speak with you” only to watch the Patronus fly a little ways and then fizzle out.

As he sat heavily into his chair, Albus could only conclude one thing: Something fatal had happened to Severus Snape and now he would have no insight into what Tom Riddle was doing.

Amelia Bones had been no help either when he’d asked her for an update yesterday. She’d told him, “Officially and unofficially, there are no known crimes surrounding these missing people. People are allowed to walk away from their life any time they want and we have no evidence at all of foul play.”

Worse, it was only mid-year and he was going to have to find another teacher for the Defense Against the Dark Arts. He wished he could get Remus Lupin to return, but that wasn’t possible.

– – –

“Harry, I’m going to go pick up pizza for dinner; would you join me?” Dan asked.

“Sure. Do I need to go find Hermione?” Harry returned.

The father chuckled. “I’m sure we can do this on our own and it won’t take long.” He grabbed his car keys and Harry followed him.

As they started driving, Dan asked, “Have you had a good time this week even with Emma and me being around for several days?”

“That’s not a problem at all, I’ve enjoyed talking to all of you. Talking to Hermione especially has been great and I’ve missed that a lot,” he explained.

Dan nodded and snuck a glance over as he asked, “If you wouldn’t mind answering a question for me?”

Harry became a little more guarded. “If I don’t have to break any promises.”

“Fair enough,” Dan allowed. “Considering how well you two get along, why aren’t you two dating?”

Harry went wide-eyed at that as he knew his friend’s parents weren’t enamored with the magical world. They obviously didn’t hate it like the Dursleys did, but they were also obviously not all that happy with it taking their daughter away from them either. This was also her father asking and now he knew why he’d been invited to go for the car ride.

“Truthfully, sir,” Harry decided to be more formal, “that wouldn’t work too well for us. You see, we uh, we feel like we’re brother and sister, or something like that. So dating her and things like that just wouldn’t feel right; I hope you understand.”

Dan sighed. “A little. I’m sorry I asked, but there aren’t too many boys I trust around her right now. In fact, you’re the only one. I’ll also say that when I asked Hermione, I received a similar answer so I was curious if that was true for you as well.”

Harry suspected that when he said “boys” he really meant “magical boys”, but wouldn’t hold that against the man. “I’m sorry, but that’s how we both feel.”

“Now I know and I won’t ask again,” Dan told him. “Look, here’s the pizza place.”

Harry relaxed only a little. He was more relieved when they arrived back at the Granger’s home and no more uncomfortable questions had been asked. He decided he would not mention the conversation to Hermione.




[Thu, Jan 2 1997]

Dan had already shaken his hand and Emma had given him a long hug and told him he was welcome any time. Hermione, though, she was clinging to him and was making his cheek wet.

“Hey, it’ll be all right. We still have the phones and there’s the summer. You can come visit me if you want; I should have the small house built by then,” Harry told her while hoping that was really true. “I already told you that you can help me with the big house if you like. I left a copy of the books for you.”

Hermione let go and looked at him with her patented exasperated look. “I can’t believe you can copy books like that.”

“Remember, it’s a secret,” he told her with a grin, “and you didn’t protest all that much when I made copies of a few of your library books.”

“Prat!” she told him, her humor returning.

“Always,” he returned. “Seriously, I expect you to come this summer even if only for a week or two. I’ll have everyone you want over for a party too.”

“I’ll hold you to that trip,” she said as she fully released him. “I look forward to seeing you again.”

“Take care, Hermione,” he said as he picked up his two bags, slinging his little backpack over his shoulder.

“You too, Harry.”

Sad he had to leave but knowing he must, he left them and walked towards the gate for his plane. As he approached the gate’s waiting area, a familiar looking man walked up to him and walked beside him.

“Good morning, Mr Potter. Did you have a pleasant vacation?” the man in the dark suit asked.

“Agent Davidson?” Harry asked, hoping he remembered the name correctly and he must have for the man nodded. “I did. Are you here to make sure I leave?”

The man sighed. “Mr Potter, we don’t dislike you at all. In fact, if you wanted to move here permanently, I believe you’d be welcome after the standard history check and a few questions. As mentioned before, it was merely your sudden appearance that caused concern. I like to believe I’ve talked them into a calmer position. As for me being here, well, I do have to mark the paperwork. I think you’ll learn over time that there’s always more paperwork,” he ended in a hint of a smile.

“Yes, I have started to notice that,” Harry agreed. “I think this is my gate. Is there anything else?”

“Well, two very small things if you don’t mind.” The agent was already pulling out a piece of paper and a pen. “If you’d sign this indicating your departure, it would make my life a little easier.”

Harry put his larger bag down and looked at the form. It was the one he’d signed when he’d arrived. He signed it at the bottom for his leaving. “And the other?”

The agent put the form away and pulled out a small book which he flipped to a marker and then held it out with the pen again with an embarrassed look. “If it’s not too much trouble, could I get your autograph?”

Harry blinked at him for a moment. “Seriously?”

“This isn’t a glamourous job, but one of the few perks is getting to meet unusual people,” Davidson said with a small shrug.

Harry snorted. “Sure, why not?” He stopped as he held the pen and stared into the man’s eyes. “Do you solemnly swear this won’t be used against me in some magical device that will force me to complete in a Tournament or something else I don’t want?”

Davidson looked taken aback. “Absolutely I can promise that. This is for my personal collection only. I understand your concern as I read about what happened to you a couple of years ago. That will not happen with this signature.”

“If it does, you won’t like what I have to say and perhaps more,” Harry said with a hint of threat and signed it, with a small mark in his name so he’d know if it was used somewhere.

“No worries as you say,” the agent assured him.

Harry just raised an eyebrow dubiously.

“Thank you for your help and have a good flight, Mr Potter.” The agent left him and entered a very plain door nearby.

Harry shook his head before he took a seat to wait the short time before it was time to board the plane. It would be good to be home this evening. He supposed he could write his letter to McGonagall on the plane and have Hedwig deliver it.




[Fri, Jan 3]

He had the day off, but Harry thought he’d drop into work to tell Croaker he was back and to ask a few questions. Afterward, he’d spend the rest of the day with Neville.

With his usual disguise on, he knocked on the doorframe. He could see Croaker was here, fortunately. The man looked up and smiled. “Mike, you’re back. How was your trip?”

Harry closed the door behind himself. “I enjoyed most of it. The reception at the airport didn’t go so well though,” he said blandly.

“Oh? Why?”

“Apparently they object to people with lots of magic just showing up without notice. I believe you were supposed to tell me about that beforehand,” Harry said pointedly.

Croaker actually looked a little embarrassed. “Right, I did say I thought there was something I needed to tell you but kept forgetting. The American Ministry didn’t give you too hard of a time, I hope?”

“Not too bad. I got a lecture then had to fill out some forms. They kept going on about not liking surprises of people with a lot of magic suddenly appearing,” he stated.

Croaker nodded. “Yes, they’re a little paranoid about that and I suppose our little wars over here haven’t helped that much.”

“Why is that?”

“Obviously there was Grindelwald and lately Voldemort over here. Over there, let’s see, what was his name?” Croaker thought for a short moment. “Oh yes, about the time of our first war with Voldemort was starting, they were having a similar issue with a rising Dark Wizard by the name of Manson, if I remember right. Took them on a merry chase with some grizzly results along the way. However, they caught him before he’d done too much damage or his group became very large. They covered it up by making him out to be some sort of extremist cult leader.”

Harry snorted. “Isn’t that really what Dark Wizards and their followers are, a cult?”

“Well, that word is part of our vocabulary, but it’s really not used in Wizarding society; it’s a crossover from Muggle culture.” Croaker held up his hand. “Yes, I know, it’s a fine line in the middle of semantics. That aside, any other issues for you?”

“On the trip, no, but I would like to ask a question now that I’ve had some time off to think about it properly. Would it be possible to change my work hours to Monday through Thursday and be 28 or so hours?”

“Perhaps, it would depend on why.” Croaker looked expectantly at him.

“I’d like to return to Hogwarts to get some tutoring in Arithmancy and Ancient Runes. I think I’m doing well on Charms, Transfiguration, and Defense, but I recognize I’m light on the theory,” Harry said, not really wanting to admit that.

Croaker only smiled. “I wondered how long it would take you to admit that. Tutoring you say, not normal classes?”

“Yes,” Harry agreed. “This is subject to me working the idea out. I’ve already contacted Professor McGonagall and hope to meet with her soon to ask.”

“We been setting some time aside for you to learn, so we could just change it so that becomes your learning time and you don’t need to spend time on that for the rest of the week when you’re here.” Croaker nodded. “Yes, that could would out nicely. Approved if you can get agreement from McGonagall. What is your thoughts on your next research project?”

Harry shifted in his seat, a little uncomfortable. “I’m not sure I’ve settled on anything yet, though I have an idea. Is there a list here somewhere that has topics that need research that I could look through for ideas?”

“Actually, there is a list of things the Ministry would like us to look at, assuming we find the interest,” he said with a grin. “What was your idea though?”

“How to destroy Dementors.”

Croaker looked surprised. “I think a few people have looked at that and came up empty, but I’ll allow two months for you to research and see what you find. If you find a good lead, I’ll let you go further.”

“All right, I’ll get back with you on that,” Harry said as he rose to leave.

“By the way,” Croaker stopped him with a smile, “be glad you’re down here and not upstairs. There’s been a mad rush in some departments to fill the positions vacated by the missing Death Eaters -- mostly political infighting but in a few cases the Aurors are investing charges of assault from spells. There have also been a few people that were released from the Imperious curse and that’s causing merry hell.

“To make it even more fun, when Malfoy and his money left us this summer a few others quietly stepped in to take up those payments so that faction continued to get what they wanted. Now that money is gone too. It’s pure chaos in some ways.” Croaker chuckled. “Yes, we’ve really shaken things up.”

“Thanks,” Harry told him, “I’ll keep an eye open and enjoy the fun.”




[Sat, Jan 4]

Harry had been a little surprised that McGonagall had responded and requested a meeting so quickly. It had been for barely an hour after he’d received the letter. He supposed she had the time now that school wasn’t in session.

He’d told Neville what he was thinking about and Neville had been enthusiastic about it. Since he’d asked at the breakfast table, Lady Longbottom said she’d sign his permission slip before he’d even thought about asking her.

He Apparated to the middle of Hogsmeade looking like himself and walked to the Three Broomsticks. He also reminded himself that he needed to stop by Tate Builders and pick up the blueprints for the small house he’d requested; the house he’d use to learn about building and that he’d live in while he built the big house. He already had the plans for the manor house.

McGonagall was at a back table and looked to be drinking her morning tea. “Good morning, Mr Potter,” she said as he walked up. “Feel free to order breakfast if you haven’t had it yet.”

“I’ve already eaten, but tea and toast sound good,” he responded and watched her wave her hand and Rosemerta came over and took his order.

“While my offer was genuine and I am happy to see you,” she said, “I was surprised to get your letter yesterday. Most former students don’t contact me after they leave.”

He felt a little warm in his face and hoped he wasn’t blushing too much. “I hadn’t really planned on it so soon but something has come up and Hermione said it was a good idea.”

McGonagall brightened. “Oh? I’m glad you’ve stayed in contact with her. How is Miss Granger?”

“She’s doing well, other than missing her friends here,” Harry said and then had to pause as his order was delivered. “Do you mind?” Harry asked as he pulled out his wand.

“My feelings don’t matter but I’d think the Ministry would mind,” she said a little frostily and pulled out her wand and cast a privacy charm around them.

“Actually, they wouldn’t as I’ve found out how the sensors really work,” Harry said with a smirk, not planning on mentioning the monitoring charm on his wand was no longer there.

McGonagall sighed. “Please keep that to yourself, Mr Potter. I dread to think what someone like the next version of the Weasley twins would be like if they knew that.” She looked at him for a moment. “Or someone like your father and his friends.”

Harry had to grin at that. “If you have time later I’ve love to hear a few stories.”

“Perhaps,” she allowed. “Now, I believe you mentioned you had a few questions for me. Business before pleasure, Mr Potter.”

It was so like her, he thought with amusement. “Very well, I’d like to inquire if I might be allowed to spend a little time at Hogwarts and be tutored on a few subjects. Furthermore, maybe have the sessions on Friday as well as Saturday morning; plus I’d like to be able to stay in Gryffindor Tower on Friday and Saturday nights as well as take meals when I’m there.”

“You wish to be a part-time student?” McGonagall asked surprised. “That’s not what I was expecting.”

“What were you expecting?” Harry had to know.

“The usual request is to use our library,” she stated, “and that’s usually from ex-Ravenclaw students. What classes did you need tutoring in? Defense I presume?”

“Oh, no Professor. I hope to take my NEWTS in Defense, Charms, and Transfiguration this June--”

“Excuse me?” she said interrupting him, almost dropping her teacup. “Are you trying to prank me, Mr Potter?”

Harry grinned at her reaction, enjoying it immensely. “No, Professor. I’ve been studying those a lot in the last six months. I have all the spells down. I just need to revise on the theory so I’ll be ready for the written part.”

“I think I’d like to be the judge of that since you’d be taking them a year early,” she sniffed. “Now, what classes did you want to take?”

“I’d like to take Arithmancy and Ancient Runes. I’ve sort of self-taught myself and had some help from some people where I had questions over the third year material, so I think I can skip that, maybe a little more. I’d like to take about three or four hours of tutoring for each class a week if that’s possible.”

“I’ll have to ask the professors if they’re willing to spend the time. Normal tutoring in these cases runs five sickles per hour. Will that be a problem?” she asked.

“No.” He had a job.

“There will also be a charge for the part-time boarding; I’ll have to figure out what that is, but I don’t think it will be too much. I’ll also need a permission slip from your legal guardian as you are not yet seventeen,” she explained.

“Neither of those will be a problem,” he replied.

She looked at him for a moment. “While I will be glad to have you back, I should warn you that Professor Dumbledore will have to approve this.”

“And he’ll want to talk with me,” Harry almost sighed.

“Quite so,” she confirmed. “Considering that it appears you’ve been avoiding him, is that going to be a problem?”

He understood she didn’t want problems in the school. “I’ll allow one meeting to talk about whatever he wants as long as you’re there too.”

She looked a little surprised. “Why do you desire my presence?”

“Because I’ve learned some things in the last six months about him that make me question a few of his motives with me. Your presence,” he told her, “ensures he doesn’t try to surprise me too much and to help him know that if he asks me to do something and I say ‘no’ that I really do mean that, which would hopefully curb any outlandish plans he has for me.”

McGonagall looked at him for a long moment. “That’s very close to an accusation, Mr Potter.”

Harry nodded. “I’m not totally sure what to think about him, if I’m being honest. I know he has good goals, or I think he does, but how he goes about some of them seem to be problematic. Can I ask you a question about me?”

She nodded.

“I know the story I was told, but do you know why Professor Dumbledore really took me to Privet Drive?”

“They were your closest living relatives,” she replied.

“Except my parents wanted my Godfather to take care of me,” he told her.

“Who landed himself in prison the morning of the evening you were taken to Privet Drive,” she returned.

“What about my Godmother? She was very capable of taking care of me at the time,” he threw out innocently.

McGonagall blinked. “You had a Godmother? I didn’t know that. Who?”

“Alice Longbottom. She was capable of watching over me for at least a day or two before she was no longer able to. My presence might also have changed things for them -- or it’s possible,” he admitted. “So instead of being sent to my Godmother, I was sent to a family that hates everything magical and tried to beat the magic out of me -- which is why I left there. Do you now see why I question him?”

She looked a little ill and finally gave him an honest, “Yes.”

“For what it’s worth,” he told her, “I don’t think he’s evil or anything like that that. He just made no effort to find out about what my parents wanted done with me or what my relatives were really like and so came up with his own plan. Or you could say he didn’t bother looking at all the details. I have to believe that because otherwise he’s on that road to evil -- yet I haven’t seen any other evidence of that so I don’t think he bad deep down inside.”

While she thought about that and took several sips of her tea. Harry rewarmed his toast and ate an entire slice. She never admonished him for the magic either.

“I think I understand your view now and why you wanted me to come alone today,” she said finally. “I don’t know if it matters, but I believe this will be Professor Dumbledore’s last year as Headmaster. He has a health issue that probably will not allow him to return next year.”

“As long as he doesn’t badger me while I’m at school, I’m fine with however it works out,” he replied.

“I think I now know the answer to a question that several of us have been asking, but who is your legal guardian now that the Dursleys are no longer with us?” She paused. “I believe Arthur said he told you of their passing?”

“Yes he did, so I’m aware of that,” he said evenly. “Augusta Longbottom is my guardian, as she always should have been after Alice couldn’t take care of me.”

McGonagall nodded. “When you mentioned Alice, Augusta became my first guess. To withstand scrutiny, the appropriate form will need to be on file with the Ministry,” she told him.

“It has been for months, before the Dursleys … left,” he stated with a knowing smile. “So now that business is concluded, do you have at least a little time for some stories about my parents?” he all but pleaded. He was thrilled when she did just that for the next hour.




[Sun, Jan 12]

Neville couldn’t help his grin as he exited the train, he really couldn’t. So when Ron asked for at least the fourth time that day, “Nev, tell us what’s going on?” Neville replied yet again, “You’ll find out soon and you’ll like it.”

He saw Ginny walk up with Dean holding her hand with Seamus tagging along as usual. She also didn’t look happy. Surprisingly, Ron was in such a state that he either didn’t notice or let it pass.

“Ginny, see if you find out why Neville is so happy,” Ron all but ordered via his tone and didn’t notice his sister’s eyes narrow to realize that might not have been his best choice of words.

“Don’t bother asking,” Neville said, “you’ll find out soon. Come on, let’s get a carriage to the castle. Luna do you need a hand up?” he asked as a carriage pulled up in front of them.

Eventually, they passed McGonagall standing at the door and then entered the Great Hall to find a surprise waiting for them there. Ron all but stopped in his tracks and asked to no one in particular, “What’s Percy doing at the Head Table?”

No one had an answer so they took their seats.

– – –

Harry approached the front door as the last carriage was unloading, so he was only a little behind them yet alone as he walked up to his former Head-of-House. “Good evening, Professor.”

“You’re almost late,” she told him. “Why didn’t you take a carriage?”

“I thought I’d enjoy a walk in the cold air and I was right. However, now I’m also cold and it’d be nice to get warm again,” he told her with a smile.

“What are we going to do with you?” she asked rhetorically as she turned to go inside.

“I hope teach me a few things,” he said cheerfully. “As I can’t stay the night, can I assume the big conversation won’t be until the weekend?”

“Saturday afternoon immediately after lunch,” she replied as she held out some parchment. “Your timetable, Mr Potter, and in you go.”

He took the parchment and slipped it into a pocket as he walked through the double doors into the Great Hall. It was a little slow at first, but then he noticed more and more heads turning his way and looks of surprise.

Before any students could say anything or rush to him, Dumbledore spoke up. “As you can see, Mr Potter will be rejoining us for some classes. While he will normally be here only on the weekends, he agreed to join us for the Welcome Feast for the new term.”

Harry walked towards Ron grinning as most of the older Gryffindors shouted and jumped up from their seats. A few at the other tables clapped, even it was done politely. He braced himself as Ron all but ran into him and pulled him into a bear hug.

“It’s good to have you back, mate!” Ron thumped him on the back hard. “Why didn’t you tell us? Wait, Neville knew. How did he know?”

As Ron pulled back, a voice said, “Move it Weasley, others want a piece of him too,” causing laughs as Katie Bell stepped forward and hugged Harry. “It’s good to see you back.”

All of his friends in the former DA either hugged him if she was a girl or pumped his hand and slapped him on the back for the guys, even Ginny hugged him despite Dean standing right there. He was surprised so many wanted him there that he had to push down his almost over-whelming emotions by thinking about where to sit.

Ron solved that problem for him and pulled him down into a seat with the rest of the sixth years, causing a little shuffling. Katie also forced a little shuffling as she squeezed in to be within hearing distance.

“Thank you, everyone, it’s really good to see all of you. I’ve missed you lot a lot,” he said to some chuckles and giggles.

Ron looked at him annoyed. “So how come you told Neville you were coming back and not me?”

Harry had to work hard not to shake his head as Ron’s jealousy showed. “You didn’t know because I only recently decided to come back here, and also because I’ve been living at his house so I couldn’t not tell him, only swear him to secrecy. I also thought my showing up like this would be more fun.” That drew some laughs.

“I do have a few questions though,” Harry said as he finished filling his plate. “While I know who Percy is, why is he at the Head Table and who is the other wizard with the large mustache? Oh wait,” he turned to Neville, “is the large mustache the Potions teacher you told me about?“

“Yeah, that’s Slughorn,” Neville answered. “None of us know why Percy is up there though.”

Harry looked the teachers over and the fact that he knew what’d happened to Snape helped him, but he thought he’d asked it like a question. “Since I don’t see Snape up there and you told me he taught Defense, maybe Snape didn’t last the full year and so Percy is finishing the year in that position?” He almost laughed as various eyes went wide and then heads snapped to the front to gawk at the third Weasley son.

“Oh, this is not going to go well,” Ginny groaned from several seats down. Several more groans joined her with the loudest being from Ron.

Harry fished his timetable out while that was going on to verify his classes before putting it away. “Good thing I don’t have Defense,” he said jovially, earning a few glares from those around him, led by the youngest two Weasleys.

“What classes are you going to take?” Lavender Brown asked. “Defense was always your best so I’m surprised.”

“Arithmancy and Ancient Runes to improve my Magical Theory.” Harry looked at the others. “I know not every person or job needs them, but I think it would help me in a few areas.” He looked at the blonde. “To answer your next question,” he grinned at her and she giggled, “I’ll only be here on the weekends. I’ll come on Friday and leave on Sunday. I won’t say where so don’t ask, but I have a part-time job for the rest of the week.”

Ron got excited. “That means you can play on the Quidditch team again.”

Harry set his knife and fork down and looked at his friend seriously. “I’m sorry, but not only I can’t because I’m actually not in a house even if I’ll be sleeping in Gryffindor Tower, but I wouldn’t want to take the position away from whoever has it now. I don’t think that would be fair. Now, if you like, I can come to the occasional practice and do a little coaching for the Seeker position.”

Ron didn’t argue but he did look down in disappointment. Harry turned the other way and looked at Ginny. “Are you still Seeker this year? Wait, you said you were a Chaser.”

“Yes,” she said brightly. “Teresa Goodknight, a second year, is Seeker and she’d probably appreciate some coaching.”

Other questions were thrown at him about what he’d been doing, but he gave a vague answer when it was something he didn’t want to share.

As the feast ended and they all stood, Neville asked, “Can you come up to Gryffindor Tower for a little while to talk?”

“Sure,” he answered as he watched Dean put a hand on Ginny’s waist and lean down and say something. It was interesting that Ginny’s easy-going mood suddenly changed to stormy. He leaned over to Neville and whispered, “Things aren’t going well for Dean and Ginny?”

Neville shrugged. “I think it was fine before the hols, but I noticed something else earlier tonight. Doesn’t seem like something to ask about though.”

Harry chuckled. “Yeah, I’m not stepping in the middle of issues either.”

As he left the Great Hall, Harry noticed something else. Practically every older girl in the other houses that had been in the DA, plus a few who hadn’t been, waved at him and called out, “Welcome Back!” He waved and answered back as he realized this was the downside of returning that he’d worried about when talking with Hermione.

He did manage to stop Luna before she left and talk with her for a few minutes; he also gave her a letter.

He couldn’t stay too long as he had to be out of the gates before curfew, but Harry enjoyed talking to everyone in Gryffindor. He even promised their new Seeker he’d help her when they could find the time. Before he left, he made sure he handed out the letters from Hermione to other three Gryffindors, as he’d done for Luna.




[Sat, Jan 18]

Harry ate lunch with his friends and enjoyed it, as he had the evening before in their Common Room. So far, he thought this schedule would work very well, as most wanted to relax on Friday nights and Saturdays then they left Sundays for doing homework, but there was still some relaxing involved even then. He could do his homework on the other days he wasn’t here and socialize when he wasn’t in his two classes.

He’d arrived at noon yesterday, had lunch, then spent all afternoon with Professor Vector for Arithmancy. In fact, they’d spent an hour more than planned, although he didn’t mind as they sort of needed that. Most of the time had been talking about what he knew and how far along he was. She’d determined he was into the beginning of the fourth year material and had assigned homework accordingly.

This morning, he’s spent almost all morning with Professor Babbling doing the same sort of testing for Ancient Runes. For this class, he was near the end of the third year material. He asked for a little extra homework to try to get further ahead.

As lunch ended, Professor McGonagall came by and he told his friends he’d find them later as he needed to talk to the Headmaster. They all seemed to understand.

It was a quiet walk to the Headmaster’s office, but Harry didn’t mind as it allowed him to order his thoughts a little and otherwise clear his mind for his Occlumency.

McGonagall gave the password and they went into the office a moment later.

“Ah, Harry, come in and have a seat,” Dumbledore told him. “I’m glad to see that you’ve returned. We have much to discuss.”

“If I may,” Harry jumped in, “this will be our only discussion as agreed to by Professor McGonagall. I don’t feel we have all that much to talk about.”

“Let’s not be too hasty; we can come back to that later,” Dumbledore said in what was normally a sage sounding tone but Harry really didn’t care for that at the moment. “What have you been up to these last few months? Professor McGonagall was rather vague in what she told me.”

“That would be because I was rather vague with her,” Harry replied. “I’m sorry if you don’t like it, but my private life is just that, private. I have a part-time job at a business I won’t name. In addition, I’ve been learning sixth and seventh year material as needed. That has shown me that I need to learn more magical theory so here I am. I could learn that on my own, but I decided to come here to learn as I thought it would go faster this way.”

Dumbledore leaned forward. “Why did you leave the Dursleys’, Harry?”

“Because I got tired of them trying to beat the magic out of me,” he replied calmly, amused at Dumbledore’s raised eyebrows.

“Let’s not exaggerate,” the old man admonished.

“I’m not,” Harry returned. “So when I was presented with the opportunity to leave I took it.”

“By whom?” Dumbledore asked pointedly.

“Let’s say by Augusta Longbottom. She did sigh the form to be my guardian, which my aunt signed too, so it’s all legal.”

“I visited your aunt when I’d learned you’d left,” Dumbledore said, “and I found she had no knowledge of you, magic, and she thought her sister had died when she was eleven. How do you explain that?”

Harry smiled ever so slightly. “Obviously, someone magical took care of it so I never had to go back, but I wouldn’t know who as I never saw it done.”

“Surely you must have some idea who?” Dumbledore asked.

Harry felt a little pressure on his mind and said, “Headmaster, I really don’t know and I’d appreciate it if you stopped using Legilimency on me. A far better teacher than Snape taught me over the summer and said I’m reasonably competent now. I don’t believe you want me to use an active defense.”

He looked at McGonagall who was looking between the two and said, “That is one of the issues I have with the Headmaster. He doesn’t respect my privacy.” She gave him a nod but said nothing.

“Harry, I need to know who’s been changing your life, you have responsibilities,” Dumbledore said firmly.

“No sir, you don’t have any such need or authority and I don’t have -- as you say -- responsibilities to you or the Wizarding world.” Harry held up his hand to stop the man from talking. “I know you believe there is a prophecy about me, but I really don’t care. If there’s meant to be a battle between the Dark Lord and myself, then it’ll happen on its own, but I don’t need you to force me into one.”

“I’m only trying to help you,” Dumbledore admonished him as if Harry was in the wrong. “I also have information for you that we can talk about since you’ve returned. You need this information to defeat Tom Riddle.”

Harry sighed. “Headmaster, if it’s that important, then you need to take care of it. Step down from all of your positions and take care of it. I have no interest.”

“But you must--”

“No Headmaster!” Harry interjected to stop him. “There is no must in this except in your own mind, which makes me wonder if you’re going senile,” Harry told him a little forcefully. “I think I now understand why you didn’t want me to leave the Dursleys because it gave me a view of what the outside world is really like … not the restricted view you wanted me to see.”

“Surely you’ve had visions from Tom since then and you’ve seen the horror that awaits us all,” Dumbledore protested.

“I’ve not had a vision since last June on that terrible night when I lost Sirius. Furthermore, I’ve noticed there have been no Death Eater attacks for almost a month, or at least the Daily Prophet hasn’t reported any and they actually do a good job about that,” Harry told him. “Maybe Tom is only taking a holiday, maybe he’s given up and left to become a hermit, or maybe he got run over by a lorry. It’s not my responsibility to bring him to justice; that’s for the Aurors. As for the prophecy, it seems to me it’s already been fulfilled, probably when I was a baby, and the conflict between Tom and me has been kept alive by the two of you … or that’s a good enough explanation for me.

“Look,” Harry said and leaned forward himself, “I’m not doing any more meetings about Tom, nor anymore adventures about him either unless he shows up in person, then I’ll kill him and resume my life. It’s really as simple as that. But until he shows up, I have things to learn and friends to visit with. Was there anything you felt like we really have to discuss?”

“Harry, you must be reasonable about this at take responsibility for your actions here,” Dumbledore pleaded.

Harry turned to McGonagall, who looked at him in amazement. “I think I mentioned the possibility that I’d say no and he wouldn’t listen. May I leave?”

“Mr Potter, you must see reason,” Dumbledore almost thundered.

“Albus, he has answered you and remained calm and reasonable the entire time. He’s even answered all the important questions and given you suggestions and said he’ll take care of Tom if he comes along,” McGonagall told her superior. “There’s really not anything else he has to do and he has a point that it’s his life and you are not his guardian. You’re coming across as very unreasonable and I’m starting to wonder if he isn’t right that you’re heading towards the Long-Term care ward at St Mungo’s.”

Dumbledore was leaning back in his chair by the end and looking shocked. “But…” he protested lamely before faltering.

“Come, Mr Potter,” McGonagall said as she rose, “I believe you’re done here and Professor Flitwick and I have plans for you for the rest of the afternoon.”

Harry almost did a double-take and stared at her as he rose too. “What?!”

“If you want to take your NEWTS on a few subjects, you need to convince us you’ll be ready,” she said as she walked toward the door with him following.

“Harry! Mr Potter!” Dumbledore called after them as they left the office.

“Is he going to be all right?” Harry asked with concern that he didn’t really feel yet felt he should express.

“I’ll have Madam Pomphrey check on him later. Perhaps the curse on his arm is getting worse,” she said.

“Right,” he said, “I did see his hand; the curse looks to be going up his arm,” he said conversationally now. “Do you know what it is? I have a friend who’s a former Curse Breaker who I could ask.”

McGonagall stopped near the door to her classroom. “Actually, that’s a splendid idea. I don’t think Albus has asked Bill Weasley, but it’s probably more a medical issue now.” She leaned down and whispered, “I believe he said it was a Withering Curse.”

Harry nodded. “I’ll ask and let you know if there’s good news. Err, what was it we’re going to be doing?”

She actually smirked, yes smirked, at him and said simply, “Come, Mr Potter,” as she opened the door to her classroom and he saw Professor Flitwick standing here in a very unusual looking robe.

– – –

“Sorry about that Professor,” he told Flitwick as he leaned over, hands on his knees trying to fully catch his breath while he watched the short man cast a light spray from his wand to put out the smoldering on his arm.

“There is nothing to be sorry for lad,” the man said. “I asked you to step up the spells and hexes and you did a cracking good job of it. It’s also why I was wearing this cloak in case something surprised me.”

Harry had been here for about three hours. First, Flitwick had challenged him with sixth and seventh year charms. Then McGonagall had challenged him with sixth and seventh year Transfiguration. After demonstrating all of those spells, Flitwick had challenged him to duels while using spells from those two years, with each duel allowing for progressively more advanced spells. It wasn’t fighting to win, thankfully.

“So, how did I do?” he asked as he finally had most of his breath back. McGonagall handed him a glass of water from a pitcher she had. “Thanks.”

“Your transfiguration work is Outstanding for a sixth year, Mr Potter,” she told him. “You need a little work on inanimate to vertebrate Transfiguration, but you have plenty of time to come up to speed.” She looked at her colleague.

“Based on spell work alone, I would give you an Outstanding on your Charm work for both years. I do hope you are revising for the question and answer portion,” Flitwick questioned.

“I am,” Harry replied, pleased so far.

“Again for practical only, I would give you an Outstanding for your Defense NEWT,” Flitwick added.

“I would say,” McGonagall told him, “that you rely a little too much on power when you should be using Transfiguration more, but one could say that it’s best to play to your strengths and you have magical power to spare it seems.”

“Yes, yes, that is his style and there’s nothing wrong with it, but you are also correct to point out a little more Transfiguration would help him too,” Flitwick stated. “Speaking for myself, I would like to see you for one hour every month to discuss the theory of Charms, and another hour for Defense. I should like to make sure you are ready for your tests. While I won’t charge you for that, I would appreciate it if you would spend an hour for each class helping me grade papers for the earliest years,” he said with a smile.

“Sounds like a fair trade,” Harry agreed with a slow nod as he thought it through.

“I will make the same offer with the same condition but for Transfiguration,” McGonagall said. “Perhaps the first Sunday morning starting at nine for the work and then the next Sunday at the same time for the grading?”

“And ten to noon for me,” the Charms master chimed in.

“I can do that and I appreciate your help,” Harry said feeling good about how everything was shaping up here at school. Work was going well too.

All in all, with no Voldemort and him being in general control of his own life while around his friends, life was pretty good.

– – –

(A/N: Now that Harry has returned to Hogwarts, he can spend time with redheads.)

Reviews 65
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear