Search:

SIYE Time:20:12 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


HP: Unspeakable
By _kb_

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Ron Weasley
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 65
Summary: The head of the Unspeakables makes Harry an offer to train and help him after Sirius is killed. He finds life isn't quite like he thought it would be.
Hitcount: Story Total: 22398; Chapter Total: 1841
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


[Thu - Jul 4]

Harry was still a little tired as he ate breakfast a little before seven. He felt better than when he’d gone to bed right after dinner last evening, but his present tiredness showed him how much yesterday had taken out of him.

Across the table, Neville looked as tired as Harry felt, which Harry assumed came from getting up much earlier than usual.

“You don’t have to do this now; you’ll learn at school this coming year,” Harry pointed out.

Neville took a drink before replying, “Yeah, but it won’t be until late in the year and this is a dead useful skill to have. I can put up with one early morning for this.”

“Right,” Harry agreed before he finished the meal. “I wished I’d known this sooner, like at the end of fourth year. Hmm, I wonder why Cedric didn’t Apparate back to Hogwarts when he could have.”

“He was probably trying to protect you,” Neville commented.

“Probably,” Harry said with a shrug as Croaker walked in.

“Good, you’re ready,” Croaker told them. “We have an hour before Harry and myself have to go in. If anyone doesn’t get it, we can work more on it over the weekend.”

As the hour ended, Harry managed to Apparate once to the circle a meter in front of him. He thought he should have done better, but Croaker seemed to be pleased. Neville hadn’t made it, but he had managed to phase out then back in, which his uncle congratulated him on, causing the boy to puff up in pride.

Croaker Side-Along Apparated Harry to the Transportation Room in the Department of Mysteries, which Harry recognized as the room he’d been to just before they left last night.

“Don’t ever try to bring anyone in here, you’ll both be stuck until someone lets you out,” Croaker warned him.

“You keyed me into it last evening, didn’t you?” asked Harry.

“I did. Come, I want to have a lesson this morning. You did start reading your book yesterday, right?”

“The first chapter only. Didn’t have time for more because of everything else,” Harry told him. “I took some notes too, like I would have for class.”

“That will do. No essays here,” Croaker told him as they walked into a training room and closed the door. “Either you can do the spells or you can’t, as far as I’m concerned. You can revise for your NEWTs later on your own time. I want you to learn these as fast as you can.”

“I can do that.” Harry looked at him. “Before we start, you mentioned you wanted me on the Action Team in a year. What is that?”

Croaker gave a predatory smile. “Because of your magical power, I’d like you to join that team. It’s the team that does things that needs doing that no one else can do or will do. For example, some idiot brought a Manticore into the country a few weeks ago and the Magical Creatures department up on the fourth floor couldn’t handle it, so we were called in. When the Aurors find a cursed object or something they can’t identify, we definitely get called. Or when a research project needs something done that’s a little more exciting than the others can handle, the Action team steps up.

“It doesn’t happen all that often, maybe once or twice a month. You do get double pay that day; you can think of it like a bonus for putting up with the extra danger.”

Harry blinked at that. “How much extra danger?”

“Don’t worry, we haven’t permanently lost anyone yet,” Croaker said with a grin. “You might get some paid time off or a scar if you’re unlucky, but even that doesn’t happen too often. Let me see your wand, there’s something else we need to take care of.”

Harry handed it over and watched Croaker do a spell on it.

“There, now your wand can’t be traced outside of a magical area,” Croaker gave him a knowing smile. “Be careful with that. Now, let’s go over your spells; I want to see how fast you learn.”

– – –

The last hour of the morning was given to Betty to help him with Occlumency. It was a much less painful experience than it had been with Snape. He also found her mutterings about the man to be amusing and wondered what would happen to Snape if Betty ever caught him alone somewhere.

Croaker was true to his word from the previous day and bought Harry lunch at a pub in Muggle London. He also invited Betty. The three had an enjoyable time getting to know each other and Harry learned a little more about where he was now working. He just had to be careful not to make any references to magic during the conversation.

As they were about to return, Croaker said, “You can tell me no, but I’d like to see the memories of your exciting times at school. I understand from Neville you had some.”

“I suppose,” he said after a thoughtful moment, “but why?”

“Because school isn’t supposed to be that adventurous; therefore, something unusual is going on and I’m wondering if it’s tied into the prophecy,” Croaker told him.

“What prophecy?” Betty demanded.

“I can show you the transcript,” Croaker said.

“I can show you a memory of the event,” Harry said a little boastfully, causing Croaker to blink at him in astonishment.

Betty looked at him and then laughed lightly. “He’s got you beat there. Let’s go.”

Croaker paid for lunch and looked at Harry. “Could I bring Dupree in on this since he already knows who you are?”

Harry took longer to answer and the other two let him as they walked back to the Ministry. “Yes,” he said finally. “I’d like his opinion on a matter; maybe there is an easier way to take care of my problem.”

Betty looked curious but held her comment; Croaker nodded.

Back at the Ministry, Croaker sent a message spell when they arrived at the Ministry. He noticed the look on Harry’s face and said, “Yes, I’ll teach you.”

Dupree was outside Croaker’s office leaning against the wall when they arrived. He didn’t looked surprised at all to see “Mike” there. “What’s so important?” he asked.

Croaked said nothing, just waving them in and then sealing his office and putting up privacy spells. He then pulled out a Pensieve that looked a lot like Dumbledore’s. “Mike is going to show us some events. While I’m sure some of the details will be fascinating, please try to keep the larger picture in mind.”

Harry was pulling out memories and dropping them in. There was two from his first year then one for every year after, except for the last which also had two. The group entered the Pensieve and watched. Harry tried to keep a disinterested disposition and watch as Croaker was doing, but he found it hard as he “relived” the episodes.

When they finished, the prophecy and explanation by Dumbledore being the last one, they exited. Betty conjured a chair for herself while the others took the chairs available.

“Wow,” Dupree said softly as he looked at Harry. “The prophecy explains a lot of the whys. Some of the details though, I’d like to watch the scene in the graveyard again.”

“I’d like you to,” Harry said, “because I’d like to know if there’s an easier way to kill him based on how he made his new body.”

“I haven’t seen or heard of that ritual before,” Dupree looked at Croaker who shook his head, “but I’ll research. Unless I find something really unusual, you’ll have to use the usual methods. Personally, I like cutting heads off; it’s the rare beast that can survive without its head.

“On the other hand, I did recognize the use of Soul Jars here,” Dupree continued. “That diary was one for sure and he must have at least one other.”

“Yes, as we talked about yesterday,” Croaker said thoughtfully as he looked slightly to the side at “nothing” for a moment. “He said to those in the graveyard that he’d gone farther down the road to immortality than anyone.” He seemed to come back to himself and looked at Dupree. “I believe that confirms he was trying for the magical seven parts, or really six parts plus himself as we theorized.”

Dupree hissed “The bastard!” before he got ahold of himself. “Right, I can see that now that you point it out. I don’t fancy a hunt for those things, they could be anywhere, even at the bottom of the ocean.”

“Could be, but probably not,” Croaker mused while Betty continued to look horrified at what was being discussed. “I suspect one can be used to bring him back since we saw that almost happen with the diary, so I think he’d try to keep them somewhat handy.” He picked up a quill. “I think I need to make a comment to Arthur Weasley to have his daughter checked. Mike, how is she doing?”

“Err, reasonably normal now, or so I think,” Harry replied as he thought about Ginny for a moment.

“Still, I probably should mention it just to be safe,” Croaker said as he put the quill back down after making his note. “Let’s watch the graveyard scene again.” He queued up the scene and they re-entered the pensive.

Harry watched Dupree and Croaker walk over to the caldron and look carefully as that part replayed. Betty took great interest in the part where Voldemort gave Pettigrew a new hand. They all paid attention to the Death Eaters that answered the call.

When then came out, Croaker was writing down names, though a few had question marks next to them. “Amelia Bones will appreciate this. Mike, do you mind if I show her this memory?”

“I don’t mind if it will help stop them,” Harry told him. “Why do you call me Mike when everyone here knows who I am?”

“So I will have the habit of calling you Mike and not slip up,” Croaker replied. “I believe I can come up with a plausible way to have retrieved this memory from you so she won’t question that too much.

“I think I’m going to start a new project on Soul Jars. I’d like to know how easy or hard it is to destroy them and if there is any way to detect them with a spell, though that would be a lot easier if I had one to practice with.”

“I’m not running a project now,” Betty said, “so I’d like to look at that silver prosthetic limb. I wonder if I can figure out how to make one.”

Dupree chuckled. “No surprise there. I said I’d research the rebirthing ritual and since that seems important, I’m going to set my current project to the side.”

Croaker nodded. “I think that’s a good idea.” He looked at Harry. “I believe I mentioned that we do projects here. I’ve sort of given you one with your schoolwork, but if you see anything interesting to you, you should do a project on it. Just let me know what you want to do.”

“Err, all right,” Harry said. “Besides the things mentioned, I found the part where he called the other Death Eaters interesting. Does anyone know how the Dark Mark is made or how it works?”

The other three all shook their heads as Croaker said, “No, but you should start in the library and see if there is any previous research. Even if there isn’t anything to answer all of your questions, there may be something to answer a few and give you a good start. In fact, I’ll help you with that start when we’re done here. Does anyone have anything else?”

No one did, so Croaker helped Harry with the copies of the memories, saving only the graveyard scene, which he put in a small jar to give to Bones soon. The group broke up with Croaker coming with Harry to the library.

The search for Dark Mark only turned up one report written back in the 70’s and it only mentioned that Death Eaters had it and was used to call other Death Eaters.

“Nothing I didn’t already know, so I should do this?” asked Harry.

“It’s as good a project as any. You can split your time, maybe one third on this with the rest of your time on your normal work,” Croaker told him.

Harry put the book back and returned to his desk. He started with a list of things he knew about the Dark Mark and then what he suspected. By the time he was ready to return home, he was starting to wonder if he could get his hands on a Death Eater and if that was allowed. He held that question for the time being.

– – –

After a nice dinner by Stolli, Augusta bid Harry to come to the parlor; Neville came along too and looked slightly amused.

They all took a chair with the Lady of the house sitting in the chair nearest the fire. Stolli popped in long enough to put a small glass of a dark drink on the table next to the chair before he left.

At Harry’s questioning look, Augusta Longbottom said, “It is merely a glass of Port; I usually have one on most evenings.

“Now, from what I understand about where and how you were raised, we should discuss the knowledge you are lacking and fix your ignorance. It would be disgraceful if you were kept in the dark since you have the opportunity to fix that.”

Harry risked a glance at his friend and saw the amused look from earlier grow slightly -- apparently his grandmother did too.

“Do not think you’ll be getting off lightly, Neville, for you shall help with the teaching,” his grandmother said, causing the boy to lose his smile. “In fact, I believe I will name the topic and you will teach while I observe to ensure you have learned all you should have.”

Neville looked even less amused.

By the time Augusta Longbottom was ready to retire for the evening, Harry knew much more about the Wizarding world and “his station” then he had ever heard about before. He suspected this was but the tip of the iceberg as Lady Longbottom said there would be many more evenings like this.




[Sat, Jul 6]

The three had barely finished breakfast when Algernon Croaker showed up. “If we can get this finished, then you won’t have to see me again on weekends,” he said in a slight teasing manner as he led them out into the back garden.

“Harry, I remember you being successful once. Let’s see you do it again.” Croaker watched closely.

Harry Apparated a few meters away and grinned.

“Very good. I want you to continue doing that, let’s say ten times. Go all over the garden, including to the front of the house and back at least once since you can’t see it from here,” Croaker told him. “I’ll work with Neville for a few minutes to help him.

Harry started moving around the outside, including going to the front door and out to the large greenhouse Neville enjoyed so much. He returned to the starting area twelve “hops” later to see Neville scrunching his face up and them Apparating successfully a few meters, only to do it again a few seconds later.

“Good job, mate,” Harry congratulated him. Neville looked pleased and moved again.

“I think you have, lad,” Croaker told his great-nephew before looking at Harry. “Have Stolli bring your work cloak and we’ll do a final test.”

Harry called Stolli, who returned with his Unspeakable Cloak from his room a few seconds later. Putting it on and activating it, the change surprising Neville, he left and ended up in the receiving room in the Department of Mysteries.

Croaker arrived a few seconds later. “Very good. Let’s return.”

Arriving next to Neville, Harry turned his cloak’s disguise off.

“Wicked,” Neville said as his great-uncle arrived.

“And secret,” Croaker told him before he pulled out a card and handed it to Harry. “I took the liberty of filling out the forms and filing them. It’s entirely legal, even if the head of the department doesn’t know about it,” he ended with a smile, causing the two boys to chuckle. “I don’t expect you to ever need to show it, but you have it just in case you’re called out.

“Neville, I wanted you to know how to do this in case an emergency came up, but you’ll have to wait and get your official license the normal way -- sorry.”

Neville shrugged and said, “That’s all right,” even though he looked a little down.

Croaker looked down for a moment, obviously understanding the boy’s feelings. “To make it up to you a little, I’ve convinced your Gran to take you shopping for a new wand today and I’ll give you this.” He pulled a small wrapped package out from an inside pocket.

Neville ripped the paper off and opened the box to find a new wand holder. “Thanks, Uncle Algie! This is great!” He gave the man a quick hug.

“Go show your Gran and tell her it’s time to go. I’ll see you later, Neville,” Croaker told him kindly. “I need a few words with Harry before I leave.”

Harry watched Neville leave and then looked at Croaker again. “Now that you can come to work by yourself, you won’t have to see me as much.” He pulled out an unwrapped small box and handed it to Harry. “You need one too, since I noticed you didn’t have one.”

“Thank you,” Harry told the man, understanding why he’d waited until Neville had left. He planned to not tell Neville where his had come from, if his friend ever saw it or asked.

“Enjoy the rest of your weekend, but don’t neglect your meditation exercises,” Croaker told him. “Betty says you’re doing well with Occlumency and she hopes you’ll have the basics mastered in a few weeks.”

That pleased Harry. “Thank you, I’ll practice.”

Croaker nodded and left.

Harry made it inside just in time to give a good-bye to his friend as he and his grandmother left.

With the rest of the morning to himself, Harry went to his room and sat at the writing desk there. He called Stolli for some tea as he pulled out parchment and grabbed a quill. He decided on letters to the other five who went to the Department of Mysteries with him. He included Neville so he’d have a letter he could show as if Harry wasn’t here. He’d give them to Hedwig this evening to deliver.




[Sun, Jul 7]

Hermione wasn’t sure what had awakened her; it wasn’t time to get up yet as she saw out her open window that the sky outside was just starting to lighten. Rolling over to return to sleep, she heard a crinkle. Surprised, she moved over and found a rolled up letter with her name on it and well known writing, even if she could barely see it.

She laid it on her nightstand and flopped back on her bed. Why would Harry be writing her already? They’d only been home about a week. It had to be him; she recognized his writing and Hedwig was the only owl she’d ever encountered who she thought was smart enough to fly through her open window and leave the correct letter and continue on unassisted.

As her room continued to brighten slowly, she considered what to do. Feeling as if she probably wouldn’t get back to sleep and knowing her father would already be up, so it was probable she could get breakfast now, she rose.

A few minutes later, letter in hand, she opened her bedroom door and went downstairs. The smell of coffee confirmed her father was up. He claimed he liked coffee from his days in the army; that was also why he was a habitual early riser.

“Good morning, Hermione. You’re up early,” her father told her as she entered the kitchen.

“It happens sometimes,” she answered sleepily as she grabbed a glass and started her search in the fridge for the orange juice she knew would be there.

“Problems?” he asked, setting the newspaper down.

“Not really,” she answered as she found the juice and poured. “Harry’s owl dropped a letter off and it woke me up.”

“Ahh,” he said with a light quiet laugh, “your curiosity has besieged you.”

Hermione harrumphed as she sat down at the small breakfast table and pulled out the letter.

“Shall I start breakfast?”

“Sure,” she said as she started to read.

Her father had breakfast well underway but he still noticed when she’d finished reading as he asked, “Anything important? You look surprised.”

Hermione drummed her fingers on the table lightly for a moment. “He says he’s doing well and all the usual things, but he’s also done something that’s probably good for him yet probably also very stupid.”

“Those are two phrases that rarely go together,” he commented lightly as he continued cooking breakfast. “What has he done?”

“He says he’s left his relatives’ house,” she said before she snorted lightly. “He says he’s safe, but I don’t see how he could be any safer since Dumbledore said that was the best place for him.”

Her father pulled some plates out as he said, “Honey, I won’t pretend to understand his situation, but it sounds like you and he have a different value of ‘best’. You seem to be trusting this Dumbledore chap -- your Headmaster, right?” At her nod, he continued, “But Harry has a different view of the matter. Does this Dumbledore ever spend any time over there?”

“Of course not, he’s too busy doing other important things,” she answered and then realized the trap she’d fallen into. Here it comes, she thought.

“Well, I only made Sargent in the Army,” her father said as he placed a plate of food in front of her, “and I know that sometimes the officers had extra information they didn’t always share with us, but when it came to a difference of opinion on what was really happening, I learned to trust the man who was really there doing the work. He was far more likely to be the one with the realistic view.”

“Dad, not everything is like it was for you in the army,” she complained tiredly, having been through conversations like this before.

“I’m not saying it’s exactly like it. No, Hermione, I’m saying the concepts are the same. Think about it,” he told her as he sat down with his own plate. “Who going to know, really know, what’s going on? The trooper in the situation who’s goal is staying alive or the general miles away who’s trying to juggle many tasks for many people? Hmm?”

“Fine, I agree that Harry will know better what’s happening exactly, but he’s not keeping the bigger picture in mind, as you like to go on about,” she returned.

He grinned at her as he reached for his coffee. “True enough and my analogy breaks down here. Let me ask you one more question. Is this Dumbledore a relative or guardian for Harry? Does he have any legal authority over him?”

Hermione hesitated before she said, “I don’t think so.”

“Then he’s just a Headmaster and Harry’s not in school; therefore, the man has no right to tell Harry what to do just like he doesn’t have the right to tell you what to do during the summer either,” her father argued.

“But he’s our leader!” Hermione said quickly.

“Did you or Harry vote him into that position? Or did your Ministry make him a commander of some sort?” he asked.

“Well, no, but many look up to him,” she said.

“Ahh, like the leader of a club. Are you a member or is Harry?”

“No, we’re not old enough,” she sighed slightly.

“I’m glad to hear that,” her father told her. “Sounds like Harry can do what he wants if being somewhere else is better for him. I know you don’t like to hear it honey, but not every home is as good as what you have here. Some parents or guardians really shouldn’t be one and their children should have better care.”

“I know, but it’s…” she started but couldn’t finish and looked down at her nearly empty plate.

“But he’s your friend,” her father finished for her. “Is he more than a friend?”

Hermione jerked her head up in surprise to find her father looking at her seriously. “No, Dad, he’s just a friend. Perhaps he’s my best friend there, but more like the brother I never had.”

He patted her hand and smiled lovingly. “I’m sorry we never gave you a brother, Hermione. Your mother and I started that adventure a little late in life. We’re very pleased to have you though.”

“I know and I love you too, Dad.”

– – –

Luna was just sitting up in bed and stretching when she heard soft sound as a white owl landed on her window sill. “You look familiar,” she said as she rose. “You go with Harry, don’t you?”

The owl barked quietly and reached down and pulled off a letter from her bundle with her beak and held it out.

“Why thank you. There are many field mice near our garden if you have time for one and there is water in the top of the fountain below you.”

The white owl barked appreciatively before turning around to jump and glide down to the fountain.

Luna opened the letter and saw it was indeed from Harry. She smiled as she read that he was doing well. She was pleased that he’d written to her.

– – –

Ginny was a bit blurry-eyed as she sat at the table and ate breakfast. So it took a moment for her to realize the sound she was hearing was pecking at the window. Being the only one there, her mother was in the kitchen but probably wasn’t aware of the owl, she rose and went over and opened the window fully. She was well aware of whose owl this was.

“Come in Hedwig. Do you need a drink or a snack?” Ginny removed the letters as the owl stuck out her leg.

Hedwig gave a small bark before turning and flying off.

Ginny noted that one letter was for her and the other for her brother, which she placed on the table in the position he normally sat. Taking her seat, she unrolled the letter and read as she ate a piece of bacon slowly.

Finishing the letter, she put it down beside her place and considered what she’d read. She appreciated that Harry saw her as her own person because he could have written one letter to the two of them, but he’d sent a letter to her and personalized it. While that was nice, the more interesting part was his description of what he’d done this summer. She continued to eat slowly as she thought some more.

By the time she was done, she thought she understood what Harry wanted, but hadn’t said. Knowing her brother as she did, she put her letter in her pocket, took her dishes back to the kitchen, and then headed to her room without a word to her mother about the letter. This would be Ron’s moment and, honestly, after the time at the Department of Mysteries a few weeks ago, she wanted to not attract attention to herself. Her mother’s vocalizations of displeasure after they’d returned home had been epic.

– – –

Ron came down for breakfast not too long after Ginny had returned to her room. As usual, he headed for the kitchen first for a plate while his mother was cleaning up. Going to the table, he sat his plate down then noticed his plate was sitting funny and something was sticky out at the top. Picking up his plate again, he saw a partially smashed rolled-up letter and shook his head at being more asleep than he’d realized. He grabbed the letter and put his plate back down, satisfied it was sitting normally and wouldn’t spill anything.

Taking a few bites to get started, he opened the letter and realized it was from Harry. He continued to eat, though more slowly, as he read the letter. Reaching the end, he was surprised but happy for his friend in having a better place to live.

It wasn’t until he finished his eggs that the full meaning of what Harry had done really sank in -- he’d defied Dumbledore! He thought it through as he used his toast to help eat the last of his beans. Deciding another minute probably wouldn’t matter, he ate the last of his breakfast before he hurried to the kitchen.

Seeing his mother, he thrust the letter at her. “Read this!” Seeing her scowl at him, he didn’t say anything else, but he knew she needed to know and he didn’t really want to be the one to tell her, not after their trip to the Ministry a few weeks ago. He placed his plate in the sink then turned around to watch. He did have enough curiosity to stay, even if it meant getting yelled at a little, though he couldn’t imagine how it’d be his fault.

Ron watched his mother pale and knew she’d reached the important part; then he watched her leave hurriedly and make a Floo call. He took that as the signal to leave, please he’d delivered the message and hadn’t gotten in trouble.

– – –

Albus Dumbledore looked at the one remaining silver instrument in his office as Molly Weasley watched him nervously. The instrument puffed only pale green smoke and did not split nor form a serpent head as he expected. He wished more instruments were working, but Harry had broken them and Albus had yet to repair them, if they could be repaired. This one had survived only because it had been on a different shelf.

As he sat heavily in his chair, Molly asked, “What do you know?”

“He’s very much alive and he’s healthy,” Albus answered slowly, not understanding what the instrument was really indicating.

“But you don’t know where?” Molly continued.

“I’m afraid not. Since we do not have Sirius’s house available to us, do you mind if we have an Order meeting at your house this evening?” he asked.

“Of course not,” Molly replied, “we’ll be happy to host it.”

“Thank you, Molly. I shall see you this evening at seven and I’ll send out a notice shortly after I verify something. Also, thank you for bringing this to my attention.” He gave her a smile and watched her return home via the Floo Network.

Albus pondered this development for several minutes.

The instrument reading showed Riddle’s magic was no longer in Harry, though how that could be he had trouble imagining since he’d checked the day after the fight in the Ministry Riddle’s magic was there. So now, either the instrument was malfunctioning or something had happened to Harry to purge the Horcrux from him in the last week. Albus would have bet his life that would have required Harry dying and that seemed not to be the case now. He was sure Riddle had not hit Harry with a Killing Curse because he was sure he would have heard about that from Severus or Riddle proclaiming it himself.

Coming to no conclusion that made sense, he felt he had one idea left. Rising he went to find his Deputy.

A few minutes later, she opened her door after he’d knocked. “Albus, is something amiss?”

“Possibly. I was wondering if you’d accompany me on a trip to Surrey to verify a report that has reached me.”

Her eyes narrowed slightly. “This has to do with Potter, doesn’t it?” She stepped out and closed her door. “Let’s go,” she said, not waiting for an answer.

Albus smiled as he walked behind her, only slightly surprised at her determination.

They walked in silence until they neared the gates to the school. “What trouble are we investigating?” she asked at last.

“The report given states that Harry has left the Dursleys. The letter said he was safe, but that is the only word we have from him,” he answered.

She looked at him. “I applaud his leaving, so this is find out what drove him out and if he left any clue as to where he is?”

“It is the safest place for him,” Albus countered as they walked through the gates.

McGonagall snorted lightly. “It was the easiest place for you. I’ve seen how he looks when he comes back after every summer. They do not treat him well. You can tell me how safe it is every year, but I’m starting to not believe it anymore. To the park near his house?” She transfigured her attire into a plain black dress that went to the ground.

“Yes,” Albus said with a sigh as he transfigured his clothes into a dark gray suit that had been fashionable 40 years ago.

They Apparated to the park and then walked to #4 Privet Drive and knocked on the door.

“Yes?” Petunia Dursley answered the door.

“Mrs Dursley, we’d like to come in and talk to you about your nephew,” Dumbledore said.

She blinked at him. “I don’t know what you’re trying to do, but neither of us have a nephew. Good day.” Petunia closed the door.

The two professors looked at each other. “That was odd. It appeared she didn’t recognize us.” McGonagall said.

“It was, especially since she seemed to telling the truth, she doesn’t think she has a nephew,” said Dumbledore. “I’m afraid we’re going to have to force our way in to determine what is going on.”

“I don’t believe that to be necessary. It’s obvious that someone has performed magic here; she has no memory of Harry nor us, and I wouldn’t be surprised to find she didn’t know of the magical world at all.”

“I must be sure though.” Albus pulled his wand out and cast an unlocking charm on door before pushing his way in. Minerva had little choice but to follow. They saw Petunia standing not far away talking to her husband in a chair.

Vernon surged to his feet. “I don’t know how you came in through a locked door, but you must leave right now.”

Albus just waved his wand in an arc and both Muggles froze where they were.

“Really, must you treat them like this?” McGonagall protested.

“If they are truly innocent, then I shall leave them innocent when we go.” Albus stepped forward and cast “Legilimens” on Petunia and stared into her eyes for a minute. He then turned and did the same to Vernon.

When he finished, he looked at his colleague. “It is as you say. They have no knowledge of us or Harry or magic. To Petunia, Lily died when she was a young child; Vernon has no memory of her at all. Someone was very thorough.” He did another spell and sighed. “The protective wards here are completely gone.

“You might as well go,” he told his Deputy. “I’ll be right behind you as soon as I remove the memory of our visit and release them.”

Minerva nodded and Apparated from there back to the gates of the school. Albus appeared a half minute behind her and they started walking back towards the castle.

“Now what?” she asked.

“We’ll have an Order meeting tonight,” he replied. “We’ll start a discreet search.”

“Did you not say that Harry said he was safe?” she asked.

“I did, but these are perilous times, especially for him.”

“Do you plan to explain that?” she asked.

“It would be best if I didn’t. It is simply important that we find him to keep him safe,” Albus told her.

“You do know that it’s not hard for those of us who know about the prophecy to guess that the prophecy refers to Mr Potter and that he’ll be the one to kill You-Know-Who,” she commented. “Also, the Daily Prophet said just that as well the other day, so who are you trying to fool?”

“It is one thing to guess, another to know a secret truth,” he stated.

Minerva sighed. “Albus, I still support you in this war; but for all of our sakes, please stop playing these games, especially with Mr Potter.”

“Do you believe this is a game?” he asked her, sounding disappointed.

“Of course not, but I do believe you’ve turned it into a game, whether you consciously think of it that way or not. If you’re serious about the war, then step down as Supreme Mugwump and Headmaster to have more time to deal with the war. I think you can do some good as Chief Warlock if that was your only position.”

Dumbledore replied, “The meeting will be at seven at the Weasleys.” They went their separate ways at the front door.

Minerva McGonagall was not pleased to have her advice dismissed so casually.

– – –

Minerva watched the meeting from the side of the Weasleys’ living room. She was not impressed and was starting to wonder how much good the Order really did.

People were arguing over what to do. A few were questioning looking for Harry at all, which she supported since he said he was all right and school wasn’t in session. Several were demanding to know if the Daily Prophet was correct in that Harry was the Chosen One. Albus was deflecting as much as possible but not really “leading”.

The most amusing part to her was watching Moody berate Fletcher for losing Moody’s extra Invisibility Cloak. On the other hand, once Moody had heard of the incident, he had stated that they now knew when Potter had left; everyone agreed with that, even Albus.

The only other not making a scene tonight was Snape. The only thing he’d said was that the Dark Lord wasn’t looking for Potter when Albus had asked him.

She had been trying to trick Albus this afternoon into saying something useful, which he hadn’t fallen for. Minerva was a little sad that her thought about Albus and the Order not doing much that helped the war was true; it made her wonder if she should continue to be a part of this. She’d stay a part for now, but she was truly starting to wonder.

Reviews 65
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear