Search:

SIYE Time:8:48 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry's Second Christmas
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe, Holidays
Characters:Sirius Black
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 32
Summary: Sirius doesn't go after Peter, but instead takes Harry and goes into hiding in the Potter ancestral estate Linfred Hall. Can Sirius keep Harry safe when both sides of the recent war want him? Can Harry's godparents reconcile enough to care him without hexing each other? Can it possibly be a Happy Christmas?
Hitcount: Story Total: 12087; Chapter Total: 1493
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
I think this story is going to end at 7 chapters, but there will be a sequel. Thanks, MNF




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 4:
Mud Pies

2 November 1981

It was late afternoon before Anwen returned from her numerous errands. Wilken was behind her, magically carrying two large crates filled to the brim and managing to pull a suitcase behind him. For her part, Anwen had several large shopping bags in each hand, and her brief bag was slung over her shoulder. When they passed through the gates, Anwen was surprised to find Sirius and Harry outside, playing in the courtyard. Wilken took one look at the pair and popped away; he was back shortly to take Anwen's packages and bag too. He shook his head at the man and boy before he was gone again.

The courtyard was all muddy, and they were covered; head to wellies, there wasn't an inch of Harry that wasn't caked in layers of wet and drying muck. Anwen stood on the stone walkway and had to suppress her laughter.

"What exactly are you doing?" she asked through her chortling.

"I's a baker, Winnie," Harry proudly announced as he heaped more brownish-grey sludge into a small pie plate.

"I'm a baker, not I's a baker, and I see that," she announced happily. Harry was smiling brightly and clapping his hands proudly.

"Hindsa was baking pies for dinner, and Harry wanted to help, but… well, he's one; so, I thought I'd bring him out here to make some pies of his own. It was a bit sloppier than I had expected."

"I should say so," Anwen said brightly. "I never thought I'd see the day when you willingly let your hair be caked with so much detritus."

"It's for Harry," Sirius answered, and Anwen knew it was true; he'd only do something like this for him. Sirius looked genuinely happy and stress-free as he sat on the ground and let the little boy cover him with guck.

"Well, Mister Harry, I have been to your old house and brought back some of your toys and clothes, and then I went to the shops and bought you some new winter things and a new anorak."

"What's a antrack?" Harry asked.

"It's a new warm coat for the winter."

"I have a coat!" Harry protested. "It's great." Anwen looked at it and then looked at Sirius.

"What is that he's wearing?"

"It's an old woolly sweater of Peng's. I did a little sizing charm work on it, and then thickened it up," he explained.

"Well, yes, that certainly is a fine little coat, and we can save that for mud pie days, but this new anorak is red, and it has a little green dragon on it."

"Like MY dragon?" Harry asked.

"Exactly like your dragon from Auntie Mini. Now, if we get some of that gook off you, we can go in the house and have a nice warm bath before we have pie for dinner," Anwen suggested. Minerva McGonagall had taken on the role of honorary grandmother since Harry had none. He was also the only person who could call her Mini; even Lily and James called her Minerva.

"I have bubbles?"

"Of course, you can have bubbles," Anwen said with a gentle smile. "Okay, arms out, chin up," Harry did as she asked. "A swish to the right," her right hand made a grand motion away from his body, and the mud followed, dropping to the ground in a crashing wave. "And a swoosh to the left," she repeated the action with the other hand. "Now, a wiggle over your head, and you're clean enough for the mudroom. Those wellies are staying on the steps tonight." Anwen hoped she could get him upstairs without leaving muck everywhere. She couldn't Apparate him, as the Anti-Apparation charm was on the entirety of the property.

"Can you help me too?" Sirius asked, and Anwen wiggled her fingers, and the mud flew off him. She then looked down at his feet. "Are those my wellies?" She knew they were; she'd worn them over the previous morning, and they were purple with pink stripes. "How did you get your feet into them?"

"I excel at Charms, dearest."

"They're never going to fit me right," she mumbled sadly. Anwen's feet were half the size of his. They paraded to the Hall's side entrance, and then Sirius pulled Harry up and out of his boots. His socks were caked in mud, too, so they stayed behind with the damp, dirty sweater-jacket Harry had worn. They went quickly through the kitchen, to the stairs, and up to the loo where Peng had already drawn Harry's bath. Wilken was on top of everything they needed, often without their asking. Sirius excused himself to go shower in another loo.

Anwen and Harry played games in the bubbles while finally removing the mud from the most interesting and unexpected places. Once she was sure it was gone from his hair and ears (yes, in his ears), she cuddled him in a warm towel and took him to the nursery where the bags from her shopping trip were. Harry picked out a blue sweater with a red railroad engine on the front and a pair of tan trousers to put on before carrying his dragon down to dinner.

Later that night, Anwen was singing Harry to sleep in the large bed they'd all slept in the night before. He was nearly out when Sirius came in to check on them. Harry had snuggled himself right up against Anwen as she sat upright in the bed and was rubbing her hair between his fingers. It was a habit he'd developed early and loved the feel of anyone's hair. Anwen made the shushing motion before her lips, and Sirius understood as he climbed onto the bed with him. A few more minutes of gentle lullabies and Harry was out cold.

"Is he going to be in here with us again tonight?" Sirius asked.

"I think it's best. He needs to know he's not alone, at least for a little while longer. In a few weeks, we can move his bed here and get him used to sleeping in it. Then we can move him into the nursery, eventually."

"Shouldn't he be in a cot, like he was at the … the other place?"

"I don't think so," Anwen said thoughtfully. "I spoke with my mind healer today, and she said that since we don't know how long Harry was in that cot, screaming for his mother to wake up and looking at her through the slats; it would be better if we didn't trigger that memory by putting him in a cot. He's old enough for a bed, and we can put Cushioning Charms on the floor in case he falls out. We'll need to baby-proof the room, but with magic, it won't be too hard. My sister Liddy was in a trundle bed at seventeen months, which isn't all that much older than Harry."

"Did you need to talk with Healer Weston?" Sirius asked, thinking of Anwen's mind healer.

"I made the appointment to talk about Harry, that's all," Anwen said, and an awkwardness grew between them. "We're sharing the bed again?"

"Winnie, I…I didn't have any nightmares last night. First night in," he paused to think, "I couldn't tell you when I last slept well. Plus, we should be here for Harry."

"True, it just feels–"

"Like it used to?"

"Yes," she agreed. "I'm not quite ready yet. I need to sort out my feelings about us. We are doing this for Harry." Another silence fell on them, but it wasn't as oppressive. "I know it's early, but I'm exhausted. Not sleeping for two nights in a row and then dealing with everything today has me knackered."

"Just one thing, and then we can talk tomorrow; are the Aurors still after me?" Sirius inquired.

"Officially, yes but, no. The Aurors’ focus is on the former Death Eaters and Peter. Moody is coming over in a few days to take a copy of your memories of the Secret Keeper spell so he can officially close the file on you and, as he put it, get Dumbledore's head out of his arse, so we have a plan going forward. Minerva would like to come to see Harry too. I told her she was welcome, but she needed to tell us when she was coming, so one of us could meet her at the gates. Moody will be the same way."

"That's good to know. I sent Peng to my flat to get me some clothing and stuff, but I'd rather go there myself. Plus, Christmas is coming, I need to shop." Anwen shook her head; if last year was any indication, he'd buy much too much.

The weeks passed, and the trio built a life that allowed them to heal and move forward. Remus showed up the day before the full moon, having heard through the Order of the Phoenix rumour mill that Sirius wasn't guilty, and Peter was being sought. He and Sirius ran through the forests adjacent to the keep, staying on Potter property for the full moon. Although Harry wanted Remus to live in Linfred Hall with them, Remus chose to remain in the house in London, although he came to visit nearly every day, shared supper with them, and sometimes helped put Harry to bed by reading to him. Harry liked Remus' reading because he made up voices for all the characters.

On a Tuesday just one month from Christmas, the inhabitants and guest of Linfred Hall were surprised by the second visit in as many weeks from Auntie Mini. Anwen and Sirius were intrigued about why she wasn't at Hogwarts, but when Sirius let her through the gates, she was nearly bursting with excitement.

"I had a message from Dorcas Meadows," Minerva began, "it seems that all three Lestranges, Barty Crouch Jr and Peter went to attack the Longbottoms at Longbottom Manor, but they were met by the entirety of the Auror department. All five have been captured and put in Azkaban."

"You mean I'm free?" Sirius asked.

"As soon as the paperwork is done, you will be. I had to come and tell you," the Deputy Headmistress said, stopping and putting a hand on his cheek. "I'm so proud of what you've done here. It shows real maturity on your part, letting the Aurors go after Peter and taking care of Harry."

"I thought about running off, but Anwen…well, she's the brains of the outfit here."

"She always was," Minerva laughed. "Have you reconciled?" Sirius shook his head.

"I think she wants to see me be an adult for a while before she's willing to talk about being my … I don't know what we'd be. I have her engagement ring. I carry it with me." Sirius tapped his pinkie finger, and Minerva saw the diamond and emerald ring there. He tapped his finger again, and the charm reactivated, hiding it from everyone. "If she takes me back, I'll be thrilled."

"Patience, my dear boy. Now, where is my favourite little boy?" Minerva asked, even as they were walking back to the house.

"Anwen has him creating his own wrapping paper and Christmas cards with something called a potato stamper. Says she did it when she was a little girl. I tried to tell her we had more than enough money to buy such things, but you know Anwen," Sirius said sceptically.

"I'm sure whatever she is doing with Harry will mean much more than anything you could buy in a shop. If I am lucky enough to have such items, I will treasure them. Plus, it's good for Harry's independence and healing to focus on something fun."

Sirius closed the door and then reached for Minerva's cape. He'd not noticed it before, but she had a small, handled canvas type bag with her. He wondered what she was bringing to spoil Harry today. Harry must have heard them, and he came running out of the kitchen.

"Auntie Mini! I not know you come!" Harry yelled in delight.

"I wanted it to be a surprise," she said. She went in for a hug, then realized Harry was wearing what must have been one of Anwen's old shirts as a painting apron. "How about we remove your apron before we have hugs?"

"Okay," Harry said before he began to struggle with what was effectively a dress.

"Here, Sport, let me help," Sirius said, removing the garment without getting paint all over his own clothes. Once he was free, Harry flew into Minerva's arms, and she carried him into the sitting room. A moment later, Sirius and Anwen found them still cuddling in the wingback she preferred to sit in.

"To what do we owe this surprise," Anwen asked when she kissed the cheek of her former head-of-house hello.

"Well, I needed to visit my honorary grandson because every time I see him, he seems to have grown up a bit more," she said before kissing his crown. "I also wanted to bring you some chocolate from Honeydukes."

"So that's what's in the bag?" Sirius asked.

"Yes, there are chocolate buttons for Harry, caramels for Anwen, and those creams you prefer no one to know what you like," Minerva said with a sly smile. Sirius rarely spoke about his love of raspberry creams, and only Anwen knew why he loved them. "There is also a large bar for Remus. Is he here?"

"Yes, he's usually found in the library," Anwen said. She lifted her hand and sent a Patronus Charm to him.

"The real reason for my visit to ask if the four of you wanted to go into London with me to see the lights on Regent Street and then go to one of the big department store grottos to meet Father Christmas one day soon?"

"Who Fadder Chrismas?" Harry asked.

"Father Christmas is a kind of elf who brings goodies to children on Christmas Eve," Anwen explained. They'd not discussed how they would handle the myth, as James and Sirius had never believed because they knew what real magic was. Anwen and Lily had grown up believing and wanted Harry to have the mystery and wonder they'd had.

"Will he bring me tweat?" Harry said wide-eyed, looking between his adults.

"If you're a good boy," Minerva said. Anwen noticed Sirius' blank face and wondered what they'd just inadvertently triggered. Christmas was loaded with landmines in Sirius' life. She'd yet to spend one with him, which didn't involve some degree of skulking and sadness.

"I think that sounds lovely," Anwen said. "Before you leave, we can look at our calendars. Will you stay and have supper?"

"I would love to eat with my best guy."

"I her best guy," Harry proudly proclaimed, and whatever had upset Sirius was gone, and he lifted the little boy and flew him around the room to sounds of giggles ringing off the walls and windows.

Remus entered the room and saw Sirius' face and looked at Anwen in puzzlement. She shrugged in response. Remus kissed Minerva's cheek as she quickly recanted their plans.

"Why Muggle London? Why not visit Diagon Alley?" he asked.

"Harry is safer away from Wizarding folk right now," Sirius said sadly, seeming to shake off whatever was bothering him. "Some of the mail the Aurors are going through is frightening. There were six poisoned letters in the last week."

"Really?" Minerva said in surprise. "I had no idea."

"We can discuss this matter at another time," Anwen suggested. "Harry, how about we go look at your art project with Auntie Mini?"

"I would love to see what you've made," the older woman said as she stood and then lifted Harry into her arms. They left the room, and Anwen went to follow, but Remus stopped her.

"I found those records you were looking for. It is 1 December that the Lord of the Manor made his rounds," Remus said.

"Well, the Lord is only sixteen months old, so I think we will take care of it in Harry's stead. Let me know what James did last year, the numbers of buns and cakes he and Lily took as well as the pound amount for each family. I know things are difficult for families. Will you take down the children's wishes for me, please; I can't quite figure out how to juggle it all?"

"Of course, I did it for James last year."

"Thank you." Remus went to see where Harry and Minerva were, and Sirius pulled Anwen to his side.

"I had completely forgotten about the gifting to the villagers. Thanks for remembering. I'm going to need to use our accounts for the gold. Some of the Potter accounts are lacking money in a way they shouldn't."

"Do you know why?"

"I don't have a clue, but after the first of the year, I plan to figure it out," Sirius said with a determined look on his face. "Come on, I want to see how you paint with a potato."


Reviews 32
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear