Search:

SIYE Time:5:38 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Masked Ball
By HarryGinnyDestiny

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom, Ron Weasley
Genres: Comedy, Fluff, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations, Mild Sexual Situations, Negative Alcohol Use, Sexual Situations
Rating: R
Reviews: 36
Summary: You are cordially invited to the 372nd Annual Ministry of Magic Masked Halloween Ball!

Tired of being recognised everywhere he goes as ‘The Boy Who Lived’ and ‘The Saviour of the wizarding world’, Harry decides that at this years Halloween Masked Ball he’ll go that extra mile with his disguise, so he won’t get hounded by the press all evening, or stalked by fan-girls all night.

Tired of being recognised everywhere she goes as ‘the star seeker of the Holyhead Harpies’ and ‘The daughter of the newly appointed Deputy Minister of Magic’, Ginny decides that at this years Halloween Masked Ball she’ll go that extra mile with her disguise, so she won’t get hounded by the press all evening, or stalked by fan-boys all night.

What could possibly go wrong?

Hitcount: Story Total: 13558; Chapter Total: 2409
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
I had to chuckle at some of the reviews. One in particular, which said "I can think of a bunch of things that could go right and only a few that could go wrong". Well I can think of a million things that could go wrong, and they're all coming up in Chapter 6. But I'm sure a few of them will be obvious by the end of this Chapter. ;)

Massive thanks for all the great reviews so far. Enjoy!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 5 — An Unexpected Proposal.


They had no idea how long had passed, an hour, no more than two, though they felt like several sunlit days, their lips locked together, bodies wrapped in each other. Ginny was the first to break the deadlock, pulling back at last.

“I think we should take this to the bedroom, don’t you?” She whispered

“Are you sure?” asked Harry, looking nervous

“Yes,” she replied, and as much as she tried to hide it, a small tear slipped slowly down her cheek.

“If you’re so sure,” asked Harry tentatively, “Then why are you crying?”

“I'm not crying" she began, and then, "It doesn’t matter” she replied, shaking her head, “Let’s just go to bed, and we can figure it all out later”

“Hang on. I’m not so sure” said Harry, pulling back, and looking serious now. “Something obviously matters.”

Ginny sighed.

“What’s wrong?” he asked again.

“You know what’s wrong, Harry!" She sighed again "We discussed this before…before we started. You do realise there’s no coming back from this?” she said. “Maybe before we took masks off, or when we were pretending to be other people, we could have put it down to too much alcohol, and getting caught up in the moment. But what we’re doing now.... We’ve both crossed a line.”

Harry looked suddenly fearful. This was perhaps the best night of his life, and yet, as much as he wanted to keep going, he really didn’t want to lose Ginny over this. Not with how he really felt about her.

“Okay, so what if we stopped now? You know, just pretended this didn’t happen, and try to salvage our friendship?”

Ginny laughed softly.

“Don’t be naive Harry, look what we’re doing! Friends don’t do this! We both know this will change things between us, Harry, and we shouldn’t kid ourselves it won’t!”

“But… I don’t want to lose you?” he said.

“And I don’t want to lose you either,” she sighed. “But if we are going to lose each other over this, whatever this is, let’s at least have this one night together. Okay? At least let's just have that?”

“And then?” he asked tentatively.

“Harry, let's not pretend this won't change things between us. I think we both know that, as soon as you leave here, things probably won’t be the same between us.”

“Well… then… What if I don’t leave?" He said, almost stubbornly

Ginny laughed at that.

“I’m serious!” he huffed.

“Well, then, my two annoying flatmates would probably get the shock of their lives! I mean, I’m not sure if you know this or not, but you’re just a little bit famous.”

“I mean it, Ginny” said Harry, “Look, if me leaving causes the problem, I can stay here for as long as it takes, days, weeks, however long, to sort this out. At least until we figure out a way of not losing each other?”

Ginny sighed

“Even if that were an option, which it’s not," she began, "I'm not sure my parents would be best pleased with that arrangement. You know how they get with these things! They were a nightmare even when Ron was staying overnight at Hermione’s flat, and they were practically engaged at the time!”

They sat for several long moments that seemed to stretch in time, both lost in thought. Harry was the first to speak, wracking his mind trying to find a solution, any solution, no matter how crazy, which would help salvage their friendship.

“And I don’t suppose getting engaged be an option?’ he laughed nervously “I mean, I know it’s a bit drastic, but I really don't want to lose our friendship.”

Ginny rolled her eyes.

“You planning on proposing right this second, Harry?” she said laughing at the insanity of the statement. She realised they were both still pretty drunk at this point, but even at that, this suggestion was utterly insane.

“If I have to….” said Harry stubbornly.

“Here we go! Trying to protect my honour, Potter? Bit extreme, don’t you think?” she laughed again.

Ginny shook her head at him.

“You know, Harry, you are really meant to marry someone you love.” she sighed.

Harry huffed.

“Well, so what if I do?” he replied defensively.

Ginny laughed at that.

“What? You love me? Since when?” she asked. “Since you saw me at the Halloween Ball? Dressed up like someone else? Yeah, right!” Yes, she thought, Harry has completely lost his mind.

Harry mumbled his reply.

“Sorry, Harry did you say something there…” she thought she heard his reply, mumbled as it was, but no, she had to be mistaken, because that would be utterly mental!

“Okay, Don’t get mad or anything…but…since my fifth year…” Harry said nervously

“What???!” she gasped. Yes, she HAD heard him right.

“I’m sorry harry I thought you just said since your fifth year, but that would be ridiculous!” she said, slightly angrily, a note of her temper rising. Surely he couldn’t be serious?

“Well… what if it’s true!” he said defensively, blushing slightly.

“Then, why in Merlin’s name didn’t you say anything before now? Oh, I can’t believe I’m actually hearing this!”

“Don’t be mad? Okay.” Said Harry

“Mad? Mad?? I’m not mad! I’m bloody furious! Seriously?! Sweet merlin, do you realise how much time we’re wasted??! Seriously??! I’m so angry right now I could Hex you!”

“Well, I'm just trying to figure out solutions to our...” began Harry “Wait a second, what do you mean by 'how long we've wasted'?"

It was Ginny's turn to blush now, as the truth about the depths of their feelings were slowly being revealed. Total honesty, she remembered.

"Is it not obvious, Harry?" She sighed, "I feel the same about you too. I just… I just never thought you'd ever see me as anything more than 'Ron"s little sister"

"You know, I haven't seen you that way for a long time" he replied.

"Yeah, well, that's becoming painfully obvious now, isn't it?"

"So, what do we do now?" Harry asked.

There was a moment of silence between them, both turning these new revelations over in their heads.

"Well, I suppose this solves the issue of losing our friendship,” replied Ginny. “Since we appear to both want far more than just friendship from each other"

“It certainly appears so” smiled Harry, feeling a bit more relaxed about the whole situation now.

“It certainly does”. She smiled back at this, and the air of tension between them slowly dissolving. “So, I guess we should probably have some sort of talk about what we are to each other? Or what we want to be to each other? Then move forward from there?”

“That sounds promising.” Harry chuckled. “So, I guess this means I don’t have to worry about proposing anymore?” he laughed.

“No, I don’t think so” Ginny laughed at that too. “Seriously I can't believe you were going to propose just to save our friendship! What would you have done if I said yes?”

“Ermmm… I'd probably have made the best of it I guess?” he shrugged. “Though it's really not how I pictured proposing to you…”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s not exactly how I pictured you proposing to me either, but then I...“ Ginny stopped mid-sentence, “Wait a second, so you've actually imagined us getting engaged!!? Oh, this keeps getting better and better Harry! Sweet merlin! Do you realise how much time we've wasted! Oh, I can't believe I'm here hearing this! It just keeps getting worse!”

“Well, it sounds like the feelings were mutual…” Harry noted observantly, “Since you just said it’s not how you ‘pictured me proposing either’.”

There was another moment of silence between them, the significance of these new revelations sinking in. Harry was the first to speak.

“You know, I could still propose, if you like.” Harry chuckled. “Especially since you keep going on and on about how much time we’ve wasted.”

“Oh, don't tempt me!” she replied laughing “You know, I am still pretty mad we've both wasted so much time here! We could have been married years ago...”

Another long moment of silence stretched between them. Don't say what you're thinking, Ginny, don't you dare say it, said the little voice in the back of her mind. But it just slipped out before she could help herself

“What would we do about rings?” she asked. “If we did do this?”

“Oh, so you are considering it!” Harry laughed, scarcely believing the direction this conversation, and they, were heading.

“Don’t change the subject!” she replied, laughing too.

“Okay…Well, hypothetically speaking, if we did do this, I always pictured giving you my mother’s engagement ring” Harry replied, getting serious for a moment. “I found it in my vault at Gringotts’ a few years ago, I found both of my parents wedding rings there too. But the engagement ring, it’s stunning! I think it’s probably a Potter family heirloom. It has a cluster of diamonds with a beautiful green emerald in the centre. Whenever I looked at it, I somehow always pictured giving it to you.... But, you know, if you’d prefer to pick your own ring, we could do that too.”

“No, Harry, I’d like that,” she sighed, a small tear in her eye. “Your mother’s ring. That would be perfect! I would be so honoured to wear it. And you’ve always pictured giving it to me? I really don’t know what to say to that.”

Another long moment of silence between them.

“Okay, so, are we doing this? Because it kinda feels like we are.” said Harry intently.

“Yes, I... I think so. But only if you’re sure” she replied. “But please, if you say it, make sure you mean it.”

Then, as if caught in a moment from one of her most perfect dreams, her deepest fantasies, Harry slowly got down on one knee, and she let out a small gasp.

Sweet Merlin, he was really doing this!

“Ginny Weasley..." he began

Don't say it unless you mean it, she thought. Don't do this unless you mean it.

“...will you marry me.”

He had said it!

Ginny’s mind had just jammed at those words. As if hit by a stunning spell, unable to form coherent sentences, her eyes wide, hand over her mouth in the shock of the moment, she was suddenly struck silent.

Several long moments passed in silence between them.

“Ginny…” Harry began, looking nervous.

“Errrmmm...Sorry…” she gasped. “Can you... please say that again? I’m sorry Harry….I just want to hear you say that again. Part of me still can’t wrap my head around you asking this. I mean, for real, not just in my twelve-year-old dreams.” she chuckled. "I promise you'll get the answer you deserve."

“Ginny Weasley,” he asked again. “Will you be my wife.” His heart pounding harder than ever in his chest.

And then, she said the only thing she could say, when asked that question by him.

“Yes” she gasped “yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!”

And then they were kissing again.


****



A fter what felt like another sunlit day they slowly split apart, still staring intently into each other’s eyes.

“So, about taking this to bed...” she asked tentatively.

“Well, I was thinking about that,” he replied. "Maybe we should wait…”

“Harry, if you’re about to say ‘until we’re married’, you better be planning on marrying me tonight! Because, honestly, I don’t plan on waiting any longer! Not after you telling me you’ve wanted this since bloody fifth year, of all things!”

"No, I wasn't planning to wait quite that long." Harry chuckled.

“Good!” said Ginny smirking. “Because we’ve just gone from just friends to engaged within less than hour, so I’m not ruling anything out tonight!

“Yeah, I know what you mean! At this rate we’ll probably be Married by the morning!” laughed Harry. “Seriously, Ginny, at least we haven’t eloped yet!”

Ginny’s mind drifted for a second, though she could tell Harry was joking by that last comment, perhaps the alcohol still in her system, or the whirlwind of the nights events, and their confessions of their feelings for each other, or Harry's Proposal, a thought was slowly forming in her head that, as much as she tried to shut it out, it wasn't letting go.

“You know, my mum and dad eloped," said Ginny deep in thought. "Right at the end of the first wizarding war, I always thought it was so romantic”

“I was joking about eloping, you know” said Harry laughing.

“I know…” she replied. “I was just… caught in the moment… or something”

“My parents did too, you know.” said Harry. “I remember Sirius once telling me about it. It caused quite a stir at the time.”

“But it would be mental? Us just eloping.” continued Ginny, still lost in the moment. “I mean, wouldn’t it?”

“I don’t know” laughed Harry. “I mean, we have just decided to get engaged on our first date, if you can even call this a date. So probably no more mental than that!”

A long moment of silence stretched between them, both deep in thought.

“I would, you know” said Harry. “If you wanted to.”

“You would…” she said in a small voice.

“Well, yeah, I mean, I was joking about eloping.” said Harry still smiling. "But in all honesty, Ginny, it’s up to you. You're the one who keeps saying we've wasted so much time, and honestly, you are the only girl I ever pictured myself marrying" he finished sincerely.

Another long moment of silence stretched between them.

“Okay, before we go any further,” she said. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Ask me anything…” he replied sincerely.

“Okay, so, let’s say you told me how you felt about me in your Fifth Year.” Ginny began. “And we got together then. Do you think we’d be married by now?” she asked tentatively.

“Honestly?” said Harry shrugging. “Yes. I think we probably would be.”

“Okay, so then you have my answer” she replied smiling. “I kinda… think we should."

Another long moment of silence.

“So….” Said Harry. “We are really doing this?”

“I think so,” she replied. “But you have to be sure too! You know, we are still both pretty drunk here. I’m just a little worried you waken up tomorrow morning, and change your mind, or regret all of this.”

“Well, I’m more worried you waken up tomorrow and regret this.” he said honestly. “But I know how I feel about you. In all honestly, even if I was completely sober at this point, I would still marry you in a heartbeat”

“Okay.” Grinned Ginny. “So, we’re both on the same page. So, we’re really doing this! No regrets, okay?”

"Okay..." said Harry, and then. "Should we tell Ron and Hermoine?'

"No way!" she laughed at that suggestion. "They might try to talk us out of it! Or say we’re both drunk!"

"Well, we are both still a little drunk!" Harry chuckled observantly.

"Oi! Whose side are you on here, Potter? Mine or theirs!" she laughed.

"Yours of course. You are about to become my wife, after all."

“Your wife…” Ginny gasped, the reality of what they were discussing slowly sinking in. “You know, I do like the sound of that.”

"And I’ll be your Husband. You know, I do kinda like the sound of that too." He grinned, caught in the moment of it all.

"Good! Well then, let's hear no more crazy ideas! There's no way I'm letting those two gits talk us out this, no matter how insane this is!" Ginny laughed, caught in the moment too.

“Okay,” grinned Harry. “So, what’s the plan?”


It took them only a short time to pull their clothes back on, and make themselves look presentable once more. They shared a brief moment after both were fully dressed, and ready to travel, though no words were spoken, just a soft tender kiss. Then they were both ready for what the rest of the night had in store. First, they planned to Harry's home in Godrick's Hollow to collect the rings, and then, onwards on to Gretna Green to exchange vows. They took each other’s hand, and, grinning at each other and what they planned to do this night, and caught in the insanity of the moment, shared one final kiss before travelling, and at that, they both turned and apparated on the spot.


****



The next day…


Molly Weasley wakened up later than usual on the Sunday morning, spending an extra few hours tucked up in bed reading. It felt strange living in the Burrow after all her family had flown the coop, moving out into their own homes and flats. Ginny has been the last to leave, moving in with two of her Quidditch team mates which Molly didn't much approve of.

She missed the noise and ruckus of her children when they were still young, and living in her nest. Though they still had frequent visits from her brood bringing all of grandchildren to visit, as well as family gatherings, it was never like the rush hour traffic when her children were still at Hogwarts, and all under one roof.

Molly made her way slowly down the stairs, and began the usual routine of beginning to cook a very late breakfast for herself and Arthur. She was just tidying the last of the dishes away when she glanced up at the Weasley clock, and noticed something wasn't quite right.

The clock had been in the Weasley family for generations, and over the years had become busier and busier as her sons has all married, as had children of their own. She remembered the day of her son Bill’s wedding, when a hand had magically appeared for her new daughter-in-law Fleur Weasley on the clock. Then in the subsequent years other hands had magically appeared for Bill and Fleur’s children Victoire, Dominique, and Louis, always at the moment of their birth. Hermione’s hand had been the last to appear on the clock, on the afternoon of their wedding. However, this morning, something was amiss.

Molly scanned the clock, checking each of the names of her family, making sure every one of them was safe and accounted for. It was when she searched for Ginny, that it hit her. Ginny’s hand wasn’t there. She looked again and again, scanning every inch of the clock, checking that she wasn’t imagining things. Ginny had to be there! The consequences of her hand being missing didn’t bear thinking about. She scanned and scanned the clock, begging it to show her Ginny’s hand, and know she was safe, that she was still… No, she couldn’t think like that.

She remembered back to a much darker time in the family’s history, in the aftermath of the Battle of Hogwarts, when she had come home to find Fred’s hand had magically disappeared from the Clock, and the reality of his loss had hit her that much harder. The only way Ginny Weasley’s name could be missing from the Weasley Clock would be if Ginny Weasley no longer existed, and there was only one logical explanation for that in Molly’s mind! If Ginny’s hand was missing from the clock, that must mean she was… No, she couldn’t bear to even contemplate that. But the reality was slowly sinking in.

Arthur heard his wife’s scream coming from the bottom of the stairs. He sprang out of his bed in a heartbeat, snatching his wand from the nightstand, and rushed down the stairs to see what was going on. He got to the living room, when he saw her: Molly Weasley’s face drained of all colour, tears pouring down her cheeks, pointing at the Weasley Clock. He rushed to her aide.

“Molly, what’s going on!” he asked fearfully. “What’s happened?”

“Oh Arthur…It’s… It’s Ginny, I think she’s… I think she might be…” she gasped through her tears.

“Don't say it, Molly" interrupted Arthur, looking worriedly at the clock, realising what his wife was getting at, and now also fearing the worst. "Don't say it, dear… Please don’t say it…”

“…Dead!” she sobbed.


****



It was now almost lunchtime. It had taken Arthur Weasley less than an hour to summon most of his siblings to the Burrow. The Weasley Galleons, now a family tradition following on from the Second Wizarding War, alerting his siblings that an 'Urgent Family Emergency' was under way!

One by one they had apparated to the Burrow, to hear the grim news that was now unfolding. That something may have happened to Ginny, and that all may not be well in the World.

Molly was discussing matters with Bill and Fleur, while Arthur was deep in debate with Charlie, George and Percy, when Ron finally arrived, the last of the Weasley Brothers to get the message, and still quite hung-over from the night before.

“What have I missed?” he asked breathlessly, as he arrived looking a little worse for wear.

“Where’s Hermione, dear?” Mrs Weasley asked as her son stepped through the door. “She should be here! We need all of our family here for this! We have a lot to figure out!”

“Sorry, mum.” Gasped Ron, trying to regain his breath. Getting ready this morning had been hard work, especially with how hung-over he felt.

“Hermione left early this morning." Ron continued. "She had to travel to the Ministry on urgent business.” And then, “Why? What’s happening?”

He looked around the room for an answer, and suddenly noticed how sombre everyone looked.

“It’s Ginny!” came the gruff Bill Weasley, finally breaking the silence, a deadly serious look on his face. “Somethings happened to her. We think… maybe... something bad!”

Ron’s face turned ashen, as he let out a long angry hiss.

“I knew it! I bloody knew it! I just knew he was bad news!”

Molly Weasley opened her eyes wide. Her son knew something!

“Knew who was bad news?” Molly snapped. “Ron, if you know something, you have to tell us!”

Ron let out a huge sigh.

“Rupert Paul Beckham the Third, that’s bloody who!” Ron hissed, his temper now rising. He knew that bloke was bad news, he thought, he bloody knew it!

“Who???!” came the collective voices of the Weasley clan, now all facing Ron.

“The ponce Ginny was with last night!” Ron gasped. “And he looked like a total git! And you should have seen him! He was all over her like a rash! I mean, it was totally inappropriate! He looked like a complete sleazebag!”

The whole family were now surrounding Ron, listening to his every word with rapt attention.

“Ron, tell us EVERYTHING you know!” demanded Molly Weasley sternly.

So, in doing so, Ron began his story.


****

Reviews 36
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear