Search:

SIYE Time:9:38 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


In the Days That Followed
By CharmHazel

- Text Size +

Category: Post-Hogwarts, Post-DH/AB
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Other, Ron Weasley, Teddy Lupin
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, General, Romance
Warnings: None
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 42
Summary: The final battle has been won and the war against Voldemort is finally over for good, but there is still the aftermath to battle through.
Hitcount: Story Total: 23566; Chapter Total: 1454





Author's Notes:
My apologies for the two month gap from the last time I posted. I received some awful news that has taken me time to deal with and I haven't felt able to touch any of my stories. I am determined to continue writing and finish all my stories, but I can no longer post on a regular schedule due to everything going on in my life.

Thank you as always to Arnel for brilliant editing skills and your beautiful words. I am grateful to have someone who understands what is going on in my life and the struggle it has had on my writing.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Harry looked up at the church in front of him, glad that this was the final funeral he would be attending. While he had contemplated attending the funerals for the fifty people who had lost their lives during the battle, he knew he was not in the right place, mentally or emotionally, to attend them. Ginny had agreed with his decision, telling him that it would only increase his guilt substantially, which would put him at risk of going to a dark place that he may never return from. That was something Harry didn’t want to happen to him, especially now he had been given a second chance at living his life.

He had been reluctant to attend this one last funeral, which was for Colin Creevey, as he was uncertain as to how Colin’s parents and his brother, Dennis, would respond to him being there. He was worried that they would blame him for Colin’s death, something he felt guilty for already. He had not really been aware of Colin being present for the battle until he had seen his body being carried from the grounds and back into the castle. The younger wizard had obviously responded to the call for fighters when the word had been spread that Harry had come back to Hogwarts, but he hoped it had been to fight for their freedom rather than because he had idolised Harry as the Boy Who Lived.

“I don’t believe they will blame you, Harry,” Ginny had said to him that morning. “Colin always told me how proud his parents were of him and Dennis. I am sure that they were aware that Colin had gone to Hogwarts to fight that night, otherwise Dennis may have joined him as well. Remember, we all knew what the risks were when we came to the school to be a part of the battle.”

Harry had not been able to refute his girlfriend’s words. Both Colin and Dennis had been enthusiastic about being a part of the wizarding world, even when they had made to feel unwelcome by the students who believed that the two boys were beneath them due to their Muggleborn heritage. The only way Harry could look at the situation was to view Colin giving his life so that his brother could be a part of the world that they both loved, a world that he also loved.

“Can we sit towards the back?” Harry asked Ginny as he felt his girlfriend grasp his hand in hers. “I don’t know how many people in his family know about our world or me and I don’t want to risk taking attention away from the service if they do.”

“That’s fine,” Ginny replied as the couple began to walk towards the doors of the church. “However, we will be attending the wake as I would like to see how Dennis is coping with everything.”

“We need to move,” Hermione whispered from behind them. “Colin’s family has just arrived.”

With a gentle tug from his girlfriend, Harry began walking up the short path to the church doors as Hermione and Ron followed.

On entering the church, Harry was a little surprised to see so many students who had been a part of Dumbledore’s Army during his fifth year at Hogwarts. He quickly realised, however, that it made sense that they would be attending Colin’s funeral as he had been a part of the group and had become friends with them all. They would all want to be here, not only in support of Dennis and his family, but to honour the sacrifice Colin made when he gave his life during the final battle.

As agreed, the four friends slipped into some seats towards the back of the church, just moments before Colin’s coffin was carried in, followed by his family. Harry only briefly glanced at the coffin, unable to bear looking at what was another stark visible reminder of one of the many victims of Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. However, he was pleased to see the family had paid tribute to Colin’s wizarding heritage, especially given that this was a Muggle funeral, as he noticed a Gryffindor scarf draped over the coffin.

As the Pastor began to speak about the kind, caring and enthusiastic person Colin was, Harry began to feel disconnected from what was being said. Despite knowing it was a Muggle service, it was still hard to hear about Colin’s life without mention of him as a wizard, his time at Hogwarts or how he had given his life in a battle against the darkest wizard since Grindelwald. It was times like these that the International Statute of Secrecy made no sense as Colin’s Muggle relatives and friends would never know the real truth of why he died at such a young age and as a hero in the eyes of the wizarding world.

Thankfully, the service was short and simple. There was no burial either as Colin’s body was to be cremated and his ashes scattered in a place that meant something to him. Harry wondered if it would be at Hogwarts, knowing just how much Colin had loved attending the school, but he didn’t think it would be appropriate thing to ask about when they attended the wake. He pushed the thought to the back of his mind as he reached the Creevey family having come to the front of the receiving line.

“I am very sorry for loss, Mr Creevey,” Harry said as he shook the hand of Colin and Dennis’ father, who the boys looked very much like.

“Mr Potter, I am pleased you could come, today,” came the reply, much to Harry’s shock. “I do hope you are coming along to the wake we are holding as there is something Dennis would like to give to you in person.”

Harry could only nod, still shocked that he had been recognised. He realised, however, after he had shaken both Dennis and his mother’s hands, that Colin had probably shown his parents the photos that he had taken of Harry throughout the years, so they were bound to know who he was without the need to look for his famous scar. It was a refreshing feeling to be recognised from anything but his scar, something that was certainly unusual in the wizarding world.

“Are you ready to head over to the Creevey’s house?” Ginny asked as she retook his hand after speaking to the Creeveys herself.

“Surprisingly, I am,” Harry replied as he turned to face his girlfriend with a small smile on his face. “I thought I would want to go home after the funeral, but Mr Creevey said Dennis had something for me and I am honestly intrigued by what he could possibly have for me.”

“I don’t think that is what made you change your mind,” Ginny said, calling him out, knowing that it would take far more than a potential gift to make her boyfriend change his mind.

“He recognised me,” Harry replied automatically. “He didn’t look for my scar or act all starstruck. He must know me because of photos Colin had shown him and his wife. It made a refreshing change to the usual reactions.”

“Maybe, one day, it will be that way all the time.”

“A world where people recognise me as just Harry and not the Boy Who Lived? Fat chance of that happening, Gin,” Harry scoffed, knowing there was no chance of him escaping the moniker.

“Well, the people who know you, and are important to you, will always see you as just Harry,” his girlfriend responded as she gently guided him towards the church gates. “Even so, just Harry is much better than the Boy Who Lived as I have learned over the last few years.”

“You always know how to make me feel better,” Harry told her before leaning down to gently kiss her.

“That is part of my job as your girlfriend,” Ginny joked as the couple began the short journey to the Creevey’s house.

HP&GW

Harry couldn’t help the pang of envy he felt as he walked into the home of the Creevey family. While it was a little smaller than the house he had grown up in, it certainly did not feel like a museum. It breathed life in a way that the Dursley’s house never had or ever would. He would have given everything he had in his Gringotts’ vault to have grown up with his parents in a home like the one he now stood in, but he knew he would have this sort of home with Ginny when they finally married and had children of their own.

“Harry. Ginny,” came the voice of Dennis Creevey, pulling Harry out of his thoughts. “I am so glad you could come.”

“Colin’s funeral was the one of the few we were both willing to attend,” Ginny replied on Harry’s behalf. “He was a part of Dumbledore’s Army and he deserved to have us all there in attendance to say goodbye.”

“I know you have already met them briefly, but I would really like to introduce you to my parents properly,” Dennis said with a look of hope in his eyes.

“We would like that,” Harry said, much to the surprise of both Dennis and Ginny. “Your dad didn’t automatically look at my scar as everyone else seems to do when they hear my name. It made me feel like a normal human being for once.”

Dennis nodded, not looking completely surprised by Harry’s admission. The remaining Creevey brother led the couple through into the living room, where many of the mourners had now gathered, and over to where his parents sat on the sofa.

“Mum, Dad, I would like to introduce you to two of my friends from school,” Dennis said once he had come to a stop in front of his parents, “Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley.”

“It’s nice to finally meet you both,” Mr Creevey said as the older couple stood and shook the younger couple’s hands. “Colin and Dennis have told us a lot about you. Nothing but high praise for you both, especially with how you have handled everything you have been through.”

Harry was taken aback by what he had heard. While he had appreciated being treated as just another person, he could not understand how Mr Creevey could be so kind to him when Colin had died in a battle that Harry had been at the centre of.

“I just want to apologise for Colin’s death,” Harry quietly responded before he could stop the words from slipping out. “I had no idea that he had been there until I saw his body during the lull of the battle. I do know that underaged students were supposed to leave the castle, but a few others snuck back in or refused to leave. I wish he had not been there when he could have remained safe with you, your wife and son.”

“You should not blame yourself for my son’s decision or for his death,” the older man kindly told Harry. “Colin and Dennis have been honest with us about everything that has happened at the school and within their world. Colin was determined not to let anyone stop him from being somewhere he knew he belonged and he wanted to help and do the right thing.”

“When he received the message that night,” Mrs Creevey continued explaining on her husband’s behalf as he took a minute to compose himself, “he told us he had every intention of being there to fight and help end the war, even if it meant risking his own life. As much as I hate that he died, I could not be prouder of Colin as he died fighting for his brother and others like him to be able to remain in the world that they deserve to be a part of. The fact that Dennis will be able to return to school this September means Colin didn’t die for nothing.”

Even though Harry had been told by countless people, mainly by Ginny, that he was not to blame for the deaths of those who had fought alongside him at the final battle, hearing the words come from two Muggles who had lost their son seemed to help ease a part of the guilt he knew he would carry with him for the rest of life. Colin’s parents could easily have blamed him and the wizarding world for the loss of their son, but they didn’t and that was down to the fact that they had been told everything about what was going on by their sons.

“Colin used to drive me crazy during the first couple of years he was at Hogwarts,” Harry confessed to the Creeveys. “He was so enthusiastic about everything, which could be a little much, but it was such an admirable quality, and it is something I think we should all have in life.”

“I will not deny that Colin could be a little much at times,” Mrs Creevey said in agreement, much to Harry’s relief, “but he admired you for more than just the title that has been bestowed upon you. When he and Dennis came home after their fourth and second years at Hogwarts, both of them sang your praises for the way you handled the school year and your willingness to teach them the necessary skills for them to survive.”

“I told you that Colin had come to see you for who you truly are,” Ginny interjected before Harry could reply. “I don’t think you quite realise just how much of an impact you had on those around you. Everyone who supported and fought alongside you in the battle all did so because of who you are as a person, not because you are the Boy Who Lived.”

Harry felt overwhelmed by Ginny’s and Colin’s mum’s words, still not understanding how anyone could have willingly stood by him in battle without it being about him and who he was to the wizarding world. He felt a sense of shame for not being a better friend to Colin and for keeping so many people at a distance throughout his school years.

“He was never offended by your reluctance to be proper friends with him,” Dennis’ voice came, breaking through Harry’s thoughts. “Once he came to understand who you were, he could see you were overwhelmed by the attention and hated the fickle opinions of the rest of the students. So, please don’t think that you were ever awful to him, because if you had been, I doubt you would have let us join the DA.”

Dennis’ words made sense, but Harry knew it would take time for him to sort out all his feelings and thoughts on the matter.

“This is for you and Ginny,” Dennis said as he held out a thick envelope for Harry to take.

“What is it?”

“A little something Colin put together to give to you once the war was over,” Dennis cryptically replied.

Harry took the envelope and moved over to where there was a couple of spare seats. Ginny sat down next to him as he opened the package and discovered what would be the only gift he would ever receive from Colin.

“Wow,” was all Harry could say as he found a huge number of photos of himself inside. He quickly began to look through them, amazed at the sheer number Colin had taken of him without him ever knowing. There were photos from every year Colin had attended Hogwarts, ranging from shots of Quidditch to Harry and Ginny when they had dated during his sixth year. It was quite literally his Hogwarts years in photos and there were enough to fill an entire album.

“These are incredible, Dennis,” Ginny said excitedly as she found a photo of Harry and her under the tree they had always sat under at lunchtimes. “Are you sure that we can have all of these?”

“Colin wanted you to have them,” Dennis confirmed. “He never originally planned to give all of them to you immediately. He wanted to make a special collection of the pair of you to give to you on your wedding day.”

Both Harry and Ginny looked up in shock at the younger boy’s comment.

“You cannot honestly believe that no one thought that you two would end up getting married? Colin could see it and would have been so happy to know that you are back together. He said he had never seen either of you as happy as you were when you dated each other.”

Harry looked back down to the photos, not wanting to have a discussion about potentially marrying Ginny in the future. They’d had that discussion the day after the battle, but it was something he didn’t feel anyone else needed to know about right now.

Continuing through the photos, it truly amazed him just how many photos that Colin had taken and how stunning they all were. However, Harry paused as he discovered a photo of the DA, something he clearly remembered being taken. It was the second or third meeting when Colin had brought his camera, having decided that they needed a photo of the group for prosperity. While Harry had been a little reluctant to be a part of the photo, everyone else had thought it was a great idea. Just looking at the photo now, made Harry feel grateful that Colin had captured that specific moment in time, when they were all whole, healthy and alive.

The feeling of guilt slammed into him as he continue to study the photo, concentrating mainly on the smiling faces of Fred and Colin. He couldn’t help but wonder whether the pair would still be alive had he never agreed to forming the DA. Somehow, he knew it would never have changed the outcome as they had both been loyal to him long before the group had ever come together. It was with that thought that he felt the tears come, knowing nothing he could have done would have prevented their deaths.
Reviews 42
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear