Search:

SIYE Time:15:34 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


back to school
By lazyweekendmornings

- Text Size +

Category: Post-DH/PM
Characters:None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 99
Summary: Twenty one years after the war, Harry and Ginny return to Hogwarts as the new Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor and the new Flying Instructor. Much to their children's embarrassment. Shenanigans ensue.
Hitcount: Story Total: 25999; Chapter Total: 1157





Author's Notes:
The events leading up to and immediately following an unexpected attack, from the perspectives of the Potter children.

**

this chapter is a bit experimental, so i would really really appreciate all of your feedback!
what did you think of the potter kids' perspectives? let me know!




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Lily

It all happens so suddenly.

It starts in the evening. It’s a nice day outside, so she and Lorcan had been working on their homework outside with Lysander, Roxanne, and Hugo. Right now, she’s walking back to the Slytherin common room with Lorcan, talking to him about their Transfiguration homework — she’d managed to transform her matchstick into a needle before anyone else in their year, even the Ravenclaws, and she’s very proud of that.

Lorcan’s the only one who understands how proud she is about it. When she told Hugo and Roxanne about it, they assumed she was just showing off, the way Rosie would. Lysander was confused when she told him, and told her that there’s no point of competition, when they’re all learning at their own pace. But when she told Lorcan, he’d beamed and said, “That’s so cool, Lily!”

She’s the youngest, so she’s used to everyone already having done everything before her. There’s Jamie, who’s so good at Defence and Quidditch and can make everyone laugh all the time. And then Albus, who might be the smartest person she’s ever met. And even Scorpius — who she thinks of as a brother at this point — who’s kind, enough to make everyone trust him immediately. And of course, Mum and Dad. Her mum, who’s a Quidditch superstar, and who’s maybe the coolest person ever. And her dad, who’s famous. She’d been determined to make her mark, when she got to Hogwarts. She was going to stand out, she was sure of it. She’d prove to everyone that she’s just as good as everyone around her.

Ambition, the Sorting Hat had called it. You have ambition, I can see that. Enough to put you in Slytherin. Of course, your father and siblings never wanted to be in Slytherin, so it’s your choice.

Lily set her jaw stubbornly, when she was being sorted, and had thought — as loudly as she could, so the Sorting Hat could hear her — you can put me wherever you want. I’m going to do my best, no matter where you put me.

“It’s so cool, Lorcan,” she tells Lorcan now.

“It is. McGonagall loves you already,” Lorcan says. “She gave you five points already, so all of Slytherin’s going to love you.”

Lily rolls her eyes, but she matches Lorcan’s grin with one of her own. “I’m going to go say hi to my mum before dinner,” she tells Lorcan.

“Which means you’re going to try and find out where your dad went off to today?” Lorcan says.

“Maybe,” Lily says innocently. “I’ll see you at dinner, okay?”

“Okay,” Lorcan agrees. “I’m going to try and sneak into the Ravenclaw room again.”

“Good luck,” Lily says, laughing.

Her parents’ rooms are on the third floor, but when she’s on the staircase, she hears a scream from the fourth floor, a familiar-sounding scream. She doesn’t hesitate for a second before she runs up the stairs.

She doesn’t have to wait too long to see what it is: Albus, Scorpius and Rose are on the floor, by an empty classroom, and no one else is on the corridor

Albus and Rose are both blinking, disoriented, and Scorpius is lying on the ground — he was the source of the scream, Lily realises with a sinking heart. His eyes are closed, and he’s twitching weakly.

“What happened?” she demands, more scared than she’s ever been before.

“Lils–get Dad,” Albus says. His voice is weak, and he leans back against the wall, slowly moving Scorpius’s head into his lap. Scorpius is bleeding — there are several gashes in his robes, and he looks even paler than usual.

“Al,” he says. It comes out like a whimper.

“I’m here, Scorp,” Albus promises, looking up at Lily. His eyes are wide, and desperate. “Lily! You’ve got to hurry, please. Get Dad!”

“I don’t–I don’t know where he is,” Lily stammers.

Rose gets to her feet. “I’ll help you,” she says, and then leans over, steadying her hand on the wall before she’s throwing up on the ground. Lily steps back automatically. “I’ll go check his and Aunt Gin’s rooms. I’ll get Aunt Gin, too. Lily, you go to his classroom, okay?” she continues without a pause after she’s finished throwing up. “And, um. Evanesco.” The sick on the ground disappears. “Let’s go, Lily, come on!”

For once, Lily’s grateful for Rose’s bossiness. “Okay,” she says.

“And, Lils,” Albus says. His voice is starting to sound weak, too.

“Yeah?” Lily says, turning to look at Albus.

“Hurry,” Albus chokes out. “Please.”

*

Albus

It starts innocently enough, with Scorpius wondering, “Do you think every wizard’s Animagus form is the same as their Patronus?” They’ve finished their classes for the day, and lunch, and have spent the last few hours sprawled around on armchairs in the Ravenclaw common room, doing their homework. Well, pretending to their homework — Albus is absorbed in a book of Muggle poetry his granddad gifted him for Christmas last year, Scorpius is reading a copy of yesterday’s Evening Prophet that someone left in the room, and Rosie’s doodling on a bit of parchment.

“Probably,” Rosie says. “I mean, Uncle Harry’s dad was a stag, wasn’t he? And so was his Patronus.”

“But just because it’s true about my granddad doesn’t mean it’s true about everyone, though,” Albus puts in. “Surely there’s got to be some evidence about it.”

“We could ask Mr. Potter,” Scorpius says. “He’s so cool, he’d tell us if we asked.”

Albus and Rose roll their eyes in unison. “You’ve got to stop calling him cool, Scorp,” Albus says, but he can’t help the fond smile. It’s impossible not to be fond of Scorpius, in his opinion.

“Yeah, doesn’t that violate some sort of boyfriend rule?” Rosie wonders. “It’d be like Al thinking Draco Malfoy’s cool.”

“Mr. Malfoy is pretty cool. We get on,” Albus points out. He determinedly does not blush when Rosie calls Scorp his boyfriend, but he has to admit that he loves the sound of that. When he meets Scorpius’s eyes, his ears feel warm, but Scorpius is grinning unabashedly at him.

“And I like Mr. Potter. And Mrs. Potter, too,” Scorpius says. He leans across and takes Albus’s hand, giving it a little squeeze before he lets go. “And your parents are cool too, Rosie,” he adds.

“Yes, well,” Rosie says. “I still don’t think Uncle Harry would know much about Animagus forms and their correlation with Patronuses.”

“He knows a lot about Patronuses,” Albus says loyally.

“Don’t Animagi have to register at the Ministry?” Scorpius says, sitting up suddenly. “I’m sure we could find records of it.”

“You’re right!” Rosie says. “We could go check, I bet there are record in the library.”

“Would there be records of Patronus forms, too?” Albus wonders. He feels excited, the way he feels whenever he, Rose, and Scorp decide to work on a research project that has nothing to do with schoolwork at all. It’s a misconception, he’s learned, that all Ravenclaws are swots. He enjoys schoolwork, to be fair, but he also just enjoys learning in general, and most of the time, homework gets in the way of finding out something truly cool.

“We could check,” Rosie says. She’s already beginning to gather her things together. Albus and Scorpius are quick to join her.

“We should split up,” Scorpius is saying as they walk down to the fourth floor, to the library. “I’ll look at Ministry records, and Rose, you can look for Patronuses, and–”

He stops abruptly, with a little gasp. It’s gone dark, suddenly. Completely dark — unnaturally dark. Albus feels Scorpius’s hand slip into his, and he holds it tightly.

Lumos,” says Rosie’s uncertain voice, but her wand doesn’t light up. That’s the first sign something’s wrong, Albus thinks: Rose’s spells always, always work.

“That won’t help you, idiot,” says a jeering voice, coming from somewhere behind them.

“Traitor,” says another voice, just as hostile sounding. Albus doesn’t like the sound of this, not one bit.

And then, in what seems like a second, the world explodes.

Something, a spell of some kind, hits Albus in the back, and he falls onto his knees, suddenly wracked in pain all over. It’s the worst thing he’s ever felt. The voices behind them seem to be calling out spells, but he can’t make out what they are; it’s impossible to focus on anything with the way his insides have seized up in pain.

Next to him, Scorpius screams, louder and more pained than he ever imagined Scorpius could sound, and he was wrong, definitely wrong, because this, Scorpius’s scream, is the worst thing he’s ever felt.

The darkness lasts a few minutes. The longest few minutes of his life. He grabs Scorpius’s hand, and when the light returns to the corridors, he turns to look at the others.

“What–what was that?” Rosie gasps out. She’s on the floor, like they are, leaning against the wall and panting. “I think someone–I think we were just attacked!”

“Seems like it,” Albus says. “Scorp–are you alright?”

Scorpius shakes his head, slumping against the wall. He’s bleeding all over, covered in multiple gashes, and looks weak. “Not alright,” he mumbles. “Not alright at all, Al.”

 

He holds Scorpius’s hand, and Scorpius closes his eyes, growing weaker by the second.

And then, like a miracle, Lily arrives, because she’s always had the best timing. Albus is barely aware of what she looks like, or Rose; all his worry is with Scorpius, and he barely looks away from him even as he speaks to Lily, begs her to get his dad, because he’ll know what to do. He always does.  

Rose leaves with Lily, leaving just Albus and Scorpius. Albus cradles Scorpius’s head tenderly in his lap. “It’s okay, Scorp,” he whispers. His voice sounds broken to his own ears. “Mum and Dad will be here. They’ll know what to do.”

He can only hope that that’s true.

His dad reaches about two seconds before his mum does. His dad has Jamie with him, and his mum has Rosie. Freddie’s right behind his mum, frowning in concern.

Albus ignores all of them, looks right up at his dad. If anyone can fix it, it’s his dad. He knows that. “Dad,” he whispers. “Help.”

*

James

The thing is, Jamie has been having such a good day.

He’s proud of his Patronus — Prongs, he calls it in his head. He’s proud of the work he and Prongs have done together, and he’s looking forward to going back to the Gryffindor common room and showing Leah.

All of that, all the happiness and pride he’d been feeling, completely disappears when he sees his sister. None of them say anything as they follow Lily up to the fourth floor, but Jamie’s already dreading what he sees.

It takes all of Jamie’s will power not to scream when he sees the state his brother and Scorpius are in. Scorpius, who he hasn’t thought of as a brother, exactly, but more like a fun person who stays with them at home sometimes, and who Al’s been completely gone for since he was eleven. Scorpius and Albus both look bad, but Scorpius especially so: he’s lying down — more like slumped over — with his head in Albus’s lap. He’s covered in gashes and is bleeding.

“What the hell happened, Al?” he demands. He’s never seen Albus like this. He and Al have gotten into their fair share of arguments, some of which have turned into fights, but Albus looks upset now, and scared. Jamie feels a sudden rush of protective rage course through him: he wants nothing more than to get to the bottom of this, to do something that will fix everything.

Albus shakes his head mutely and looks back up at their dad, who seems to take swift action in the way that only he can.

“Do you know what curse it is?” his mum asks his dad calmly.

“Think so,” he replies. “Looks like Sectumsempra to me. We’ll need — Hannah. Maybe Mungo’s.” He waves his wand over Scorpius, frowning in concentration. A Diagnostic spell, Jamie guesses. He doesn’t know. He’s not used to not knowing anything.

“What happened?” Freddie asks, echoing Jamie’s words.

“Is Scorpius going to be okay?” Albus asks in a small voice.

“Dad, you can fix it, right?” Lily asks.

“Everyone, quiet!” his dad says. They all fall silent instantly. “Okay. Alright. One second,” he mutters, and leans over Scorpius, muttering a series of spells, or maybe the same spell over and over. When he pulls back, Scorpius looks less pale, and the gashes have healed up. He even manages to open his eyes, and Jamie sighs in relief.

“Gin,” his dad says. “We need to go.”

“Go where?” Freddie demands.

“Hospital wing,” his mum says. “All of you had better come, too. Lily, you’ll need something for shock. And Al and Rose will need to be looked over.”

“And us?” Jamie asks.

His dad turns and gives him a wry smile. “I already know better than to stop you both. Come on.” He carefully lifts Scorpius up, as if he weighs nothing at all. Jamie rushes over to help Albus to his feet, and Rose leans into Freddie’s arms. His mum holds Lily, and they start walking to the hospital wing: the sorriest procession of all time, Jamie thinks.  

“What do you think this means?” Freddie mutters to Jamie, falling into step next to him.

“You know what this means,” Jamie tells him grimly. “It means we were right.”

“Right about what?” Rose asks weakly.

“Someone’s trying to attack us. Someone in Hogwarts,” Jamie says.

“And,” Freddie adds, “it looks like they were successful.”

 

 

 

Reviews 99
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear