Search:

SIYE Time:7:46 on 20th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Dreaming a Life
By GryffindorHealer

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Other
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Extreme Language, Intimate Sexual Situations
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 56
Summary: The last thing Ginny Potter heard before the Bludger hit her was ‘Harry! Al!’ Then she woke up in St. Mungo’s, and no one knew who Harry, James, Al, Lily, or Teddy were that she kept asking for. What the hell was happening?
Hitcount: Story Total: 17297; Chapter Total: 1525
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Tuesday, 5 July, 2011

 

James slid open the glass door with a bang and yelled, ‘Mum! Aunt Luna’s here!’

Ginny turned from her desk across the room, shaking her head at her son bouncing from foot to foot. ‘James, I am all of 5 meters away from you, there’s no need to shout.’

‘But it’s Aunt Luna! She’s here! You didn’t tell me Aunt Luna’s coming.’

Ginny chuckled at that as James continued to bounce. ‘You’re right, I didn’t, your father told you this morning at breakfast. Don’t you remember?’

James shook his head vigorously. ‘No, I was too busy eating.’ Spinning and pointing. He leapt off the covered veranda and ran to the smiling woman with long dirty-blonde hair who walked towards them, holding hands with Lily and Al and followed by Teddy, the four of them dancing to  a vaguely familiar wordless tune Luna hummed as they moved across the lush lawn. Ginny walked slowly down off the veranda over to them, her head tilted trying to remember where she’d heard that tune. James joined the festivities, circling around the other three. They stopped about a meter apart, the three younger children now bouncing.

‘Mum! Mum! It’s Aunt Luna!’ the three chorused as Ginny smiled at her oldest friend.

‘So I see,’ she replied. Luna’s smile grew larger, and the two witches embraced. ‘It’s so good to see you again, Luna,’ she whispered. They pulled back, and Luna gently touched Ginny’s cheek. Then she waved at the building behind Ginny.

‘This is new,’ Luna said. ‘It looks quite Oriental, like that nice Japanese bath you had. Did you replace that?’ Ginny turned, linking her arm through Luna’s, and they started towards the outbuilding. She waved at the building as a whole.

‘No, it’s still there, on the other side towards that corner. We enlarged it actually.’ Ginny’s smile grew, taking in the sliding glass panels that served as both doors and walls. ‘We fell in love with the quaint traditional Japanese houses we saw in Kyoto, when we went there right after I started with the Harpies. The doors are the walls, made to look like their shoji, and Harry charmed them to be light yet strong.’ She wiped her bare feet on the mat before stepping up on the veranda. 'Before I got pregnant with Lily, we both used one desk, in our bedroom, for working at home. When I mentioned to Harry maybe I wouldn’t return to the Harpies, he suggested this. “It will help keep work separate from home,” he said. Then he contacted Mr. Miyagi, the wizard that helped us build the bath house. They worked together to do this.’

Luna paused to slip off her trainers before climbing the short steps to the veranda, leaving them next to Ginny’s. Inside, their bare soles felt warm rugs or cool white oak floor as they entered. Two short bookcases flanked the double desk that partly filled the interior, where Ginny and Harry would sit on opposite sides when both stayed home to work. The sliding walls of either end wall side stood open, allowing a fresh light breeze across the wrap-around veranda to pass through. Luna laughed softly, glancing at James.

‘Of course he couldn’t run to the side, but needed to make a grand entrance to tell you I was here, could he?’ Ginny’s laugh joined hers.

‘I had to tell Mum,’ James said. ‘Dad built this.’

‘It’s strong! Dad said we can’t break it,’ Al added.

‘Yes, that’s why your father charmed them, Al. Now, Aunt Luna and I need to visit a bit, you lot can go back to what you were doing,’ she said, giving Teddy a pointed look, ‘and we’ll join you when we finish.’ Teddy nodded, and gathering the other three together they headed back to the Cottage.

Ginny turned back to Luna. ‘He’s got quite the sense of humor, Mr. Miyagi. For some reason, he started calling Harry “Daniel-San.”  Harry would remind him what his name is, and Mr. Miyagi would reply, “Yes, Daniel-San.” Then he would wink at me, and keep doing that.’

‘What did Harry do?’

‘Oh, he gave up after he figured out Mr. Miyagi was taking the mickey. Turns out, Miyagi had seen a stage play in Muggle London about horses, and said the lead male actor reminded him of Harry.’

Ginny loosed her arm from Luna’s, and went to the sideboy cabinet that separated the desks from the small sitting zone. ‘Tea?’

‘Yes, please,’ Luna said, following her into the room. ‘Where is Harry? His reply said you would both be here.’

‘He got a call from the office, and went in for an hour. Of course, that really means at least two, but he should be home soon. Where’s Rolf?’ She busied herself pouring tea and adding milk and honey for her friend.

‘Rolf is presenting in Finland on the relationship between Yeti and Sasquatch. He’ll be here after the conference, in about a week.’ She took the cup from Ginny’s hands, their fingers warm, lingering briefly. Then she looked around the single room.

Ginny matched her gaze. Pointing to a translucent sliding shoji door in the corner, she said, ‘The loo is through there, if you need it, and the Bath is just the other side of that. Actually, you’ll recognize it if you look, we just added this on to that. So how are things going between you two?’

Luna smiled, her face lighting up as bright as her namesake when full. is here. ‘That’s the other part of why we’re here, or will be. We’re getting married, on actual Midsummer Night, at Father’s old house outside Ottery. We want you two to be there. Do you think Harry will want to come?’

‘Of course he will, you’re one of our closest friends, Luna! Why wouldn’t he?’

‘It’s going to be a traditional Midsummer's Night bonding, so we will all be skyclad, and he can be so shy about that.’

Ginny laughed, then quieted. ‘Rolf’s OK with that?’

Luna nodded happily. ‘One of the reasons I love him, he is just as accepting of sexuality as I am.’

Ginny nodded, and took a breath. ‘I’ll convince Harry, don’t worry about that.’ Luna nodded happily as she sat on the settee, her piercing gaze that saw more than others penetrating into Ginny. She patted the settee next to her.

Ginny sat, then closed her eyes and sighed softly at the gentle slide of Luna’s fingers through her hair. It never ceased to amaze her that only two people besides her mother could calm her down so by doing this.

‘It’s not Nargles, you and Harry certainly kept them away last evening,’ said Luna. Ginny chuckled, nodding to acknowledge Luna’s insight. They had never needed to hide anything from each other, Luna’s non-judgmental acceptance smoothing all bumps in the road. ’Nor Wrackspurts either. What is bothering you, Ginny? You look like you did when we were planning to get the Sword of Gryffindor.’

Ginny opened her eyes to Luna’s bright blue ones, their familiar serene gaze reaching into a place she kept private, treasured, a space only one other person ever entered. Once again she heard Harry in her memory. Love is something we do, Gin. And you are so strong, so full of that ability, loving, that’s why I didn’t include those words in our vows. The flow of affection and empathy swirled between them, friends since early childhood, comrades in battle during their teens.

Ginny seized their shared friendship and, as she did during the Carrows year, found her courage. And for the second time in as many days, she recounted her experiences, whatever they were, dream, hallucination, memory. Just like Harry the evening before, Luna asked no questions as the story unrolled, simply held Ginny’s hand in hers. She did start humming, a low, subliminal sound which soothed Ginny’s emotions, allowing her to continue without tears, unlike last night. Silence hung between them when Ginny reached the part, waking up with Harry beside her. Luna took her wand from behind her ear, moving it around Ginny in a pattern she’d not seen before, still humming that melody, occasionally singing out softly, ‘Where’d I go-‘.

The memory cleared, bright as a flashbulb. ‘I’ve heard that song before, in my dream,’ she said, and Luna nodded distractedly as the wand continued moving.

‘It was popular before the start of the first War, ' said Luna. ‘My mother used to sing it to me, she told me a Scottish singer wrote it. Ah. Yes. Ishikhathi odlayo!’

Ginny startled at the odd sound, then grinned impishly. ‘Bless you.’

‘Thank you for your blessing,’ Luna said, then looked puzzled. ‘But why are you blessing me?’

Ginny chuckled. ‘That sounded like a sneeze.’

Luna’s face became an Ah with realization, then she smiled back. ‘No, it’s a magical creature Rolf and I encountered recently. They are native to the Zululand of South Africa. The name means something like Time-eater, which is odd because time can’t be eaten.’

‘But I’m not in South Africa. And I don’t feel eaten!’

Luna’s silvery laugh rang out, a happy tintinnabulation that filled the room and brought a large smile to Ginny’s own face. ‘They’ve spread around the whole world, now.’

‘Oh, OK then, do I still have them?’ Ginny waved her hands around her head and shoulders, her eyes wide and expression mimicking Owen Cauldwell’s from one evening in the Room of Requirement their sixth year, when Luna cleared his head of Wrackspurts. Luna laughed again, then shook her head.

‘No. Once their work is done, they move on to the next witch or wizard that needs them. Some of the Zulu healers think they can also help Muggles.’

‘So I needed their help for something?’ Ginny leaned back against the settee. Harry once again proved correct; whether Luna described something real, or spoke in a parable, her unique worldview often helped those willing to listen. For now, Ginny felt willing to allow these Ishikhathi what-evers an existence. Her brow creased when Luna shook her head slowly, replacing her wand behind her ear.

‘I don’t think it was you, specifically, they were helping. Oh, it was you, but not You,’ she said, as if that explained perfectly. Ginny shook her head, and waved for Luna to continue. ‘The Healers we spoke with say the Ishikhathi odlayo can sense when someone needs to make a change of some sort, but doesn’t know they need to. That they need something like, oh…’

‘A kick in the ass?’ Ginny grinned hugely. ‘Because I can say it sure feels like I got one.’

‘Something like that, yes. When they sense that a witch or wizard needs this experience, then they need to find their corresponding self, and that’s when they do this thing with time. Except it’s not just time, it’s also place. I think all those scenes you saw, between waking in that place’s St. Mungo’s, that was the Ishikhathi odlayo searching for the right Other You.’ Ginny thought about this for a minute.

‘I went to a different universe?’ she asked, tentatively. ‘Luna, jock here, yes I studied Arithmancy and Ancient Runes with you. I took those mostly because I could use Bill’s old notes to help me get by. But I don’t understand what you’re saying.’

Luna nodded. ‘Rolf is quite fascinated with Muggles that study something called Physics. There are more than a few of them that put forth a theory that multiple universes are right next to each other in time and space. How we choose what to do can alter the course of what happens, and since there are many possible choices, there are many possible universes.’

They held each other’s eyes for a moment, Luna’s silver grey brimming with sincerity. Ginny melted a bit in the warmth of her gaze. ‘Lot’s of other Luna’s and Ginny’s and Harry’s?’ she asked. Luna nodded solemnly. ‘There was one where we were together.’

‘Oh yes, when you told me I asked Harry to make you pregnant. He said yes, of course.’

Ginny smirked at her, shaking her head. ‘I also said the last I remember of that place is Harry being surprised by you in a rather spectacular manner.’ Luna laughed, squeezing Ginny’s fingers lightly.

‘He said yes,’ she repeated. ‘Because he loves you. And we all raised our babies together, because we all love each other.’ Ginny nodded slightly, wondering again, after this recent experience, what other things might be different in her life. Or lives, if Luna was right.

‘So, to continue, they picked me up and moved me to this other universe?’

‘Well, part of you moved to another universe, where another you needed to learn something important, something they couldn’t learn there. But I don’t think it was you that needed to learn anything. You’re doing quite well as you are.’ Luna picked up her tea and sipped, watching Ginny with those calm, blue eyes. Ginny sipped her own tea, not feeling quite as certain as her friend that she hadn't needed to learn something.

‘I think… in that world, that Ginny never met Harry. He didn’t go to Hogwarts.’

Luna nodded. ‘That would be an important lesson. You two are halves of an old soul.’ Ginny sipped and thought; Luna had told her that several times since their last year at Hogwarts. As she and Harry spent more time together, she’d felt their connection grow. Gradual at first, while at school and she’d needed to grow out of her childish crush on The Boy Who Lived and discover Harry. Just Harry. She’d thought it was simply them growing to love one another, until her glorious prat of a husband included those words in their marriage vows…

‘But, I was younger. I didn’t… my back wasn’t scarred,’ she whispered.

‘Oh, your body didn’t go there, only You. Not even the Ishikhathi odlayo have that much Quantity Mechanics.’

‘Quantity Mechanics?’

‘It’s another thing Rolf told me about, from Muggle Physics. He thinks it explains how magic users can do what we do.’

‘And Muggles will be able to do things too?’

‘Maybe. We are born with an innate ability to use Quantity Mechanics. Just like the Ishikhathi odlayo.’

‘So these Ishikhathi whatever’s picked me up and moved me to this other universe…’

‘Not your body. That requires too much. But your Self, yes. That’s why you were younger, in a different body. And that Younger Ginny found herself here with Harry. Until she learned what she needed to learn, that no matter which universe, you two are supposed to be together. Then they returned you both to your proper Universes.’

Ginny shook her head, confusion written large across her face, in the set of her shoulders. She set her tea down. ‘But Harry was with me the whole time in St. Mungo’s. He said the Healers were concerned because they couldn’t wake me up. I was just… sleeping… but three days went by!’

‘Exactly,’ Luna replied. ‘Obviously that Younger Ginny needed three days to learn what she needed to know, and then she woke up.’

‘So it was a dream!’ Ginny cried, pulling on her hair. ‘It didn’t really happen. ‘

‘Certainly it happened,’ said Luna. ‘Dreamtime is the one Universe that touches all universes. Why would you say it wasn’t real just because it happened in Dreamtime?’

Harry’s laugh came from the veranda. He leaned against the open door, hands in his pockets. ‘Dumbledore said something like that to me, once.’ Both witches faced him over the back of the settee, Ginny reaching out her hand. He walked over and grasped her fingers gently, lifting them to his lips.

Luna nodded sagely. ‘After a dream?’ Harry shook his head, walking around the settee and settling between them.

‘No. After I faced Riddle in the Forest.’ He turned to Ginny as she snuggled against him, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. She felt his lips on her forehead, his nose in her hair. ‘You feeling better, Gin?’

Ginny chuckled, shaking her head, pressing her face into his shirt. ‘Yes,’ came her muffled voice, ‘even if I’m still confused. At least now I’ve got a framework to hang my confusion on.’ She lifted her head and looked into Luna’s eyes, reaching across Harry with her free hand and pulling her friend closer. Harry settled his other arm around Luna’s shoulders as Luna leaned forward and kissed Ginny lightly on the lips before both of them rested their heads on Harry’s shoulders. ‘Thank you, Luna.’

‘Yes,’ said Harry, turning to his dear friend. ‘Thank you. I knew you could help her. You’ll have to catch me up so I can be just as confused, though.’ He kissed Luna lightly on the top of her head. ‘You’re the best of friends, Luna. Whatever we can do in return.’ Ginny chuckled, watching Luna look up at Harry through her eyelashes, silvery grey eyes glinting.

‘Oh good,’ she replied. ‘Does that mean I will finally get to watch you two shag like bunnies?’

Ginny laughed, hugging both of them as Harry’s face became redder than her hair. ‘I think you broke him, Luna.’

Reviews 56
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear