Search:

SIYE Time:8:41 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Fallin' All In You
By StarlingFlight

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP
Characters:Harry/Ginny, Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Minerva McGonagall, Neville Longbottom, Ron Weasley
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Romance
Warnings: Mild Language
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 33
Summary: There's a week to go until the Gryffindor Vs. Ravenclaw Quidditch final and tensions are rising and not just between the houses.
Hitcount: Story Total: 9963; Chapter Total: 1310
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:
This one is all from Harry's POV. Sorry to any Ginny POV lovers (of which, I am one) there will be chapters later that are purely Ginny's perspective.




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Sunday dawned clear and bright. Harry found himself especially resentful of the rule which stated he couldn’t book the Quidditch pitch on both Saturday and Sunday, meaning he’d had to concede it to the Ravenclaw’s today. The conditions were perfect for training.

Hermione (who had always been an avid supporter of this rule) strongly encouraged both Harry and Ron to use the time not spent at practice doing their homework. She had, however, agreed that there was no reason they couldn’t at least enjoy the sunshine whilst they worked and so the three of them enjoyed a morning in the sunshine by the lake.

Hermione’s attention was entirely devoted to her Ancient Runes essay whilst Ron and Harry had lounged on the grass enjoying several games of Exploding Snap. Their homework lay on the grass beside them quite forgotten.

Ron had become more irritable and as a result less fun to play with as lunchtime approached. Eventually, both Harry and Hermione had become so sick of his grumbling that they’d agreed to abandon their prime position in the grounds to go and get lunch.

Harry’s eyes took a second to adjust from the brightness of the grounds to the cool dimness of the entrance hall. He may have missed Ginny walking past him entirely if it had been for her unmistakable hair. His stomach gave a small jolt as he realised she was within talking distance.

She was with Luna. Both of them carried bags full to bursting with books, leading Harry to believe they’d probably spent the morning in the library doing O.W.L work. They were deep in conversation heading to the door when Luna glanced up and spotted him, Ron and Hermione. She nudged Ginny and pointed in their direction.

Ginny’s smile upon seeing him - them - was magnificent. She pulled Luna to a halt, waiting for the three of them to catch up. Harry sped up quite without realising it, fortunately, Hermione kept pace with him and Ron had no choice but to keep up or be left behind.

Luna had wandered back to the Ravenclaw table once they’d entered the great hall, proclaiming that she was going to read her charms notes over lunch. Ginny looked at her like she might have gone mad.

“I’ve been ditched for homework.” She said incredulously as she watched Luna take a seat at the opposite end of the hall.

“You can sit with us.” Harry offered, just to be polite of course. He thought Hermione might be smirking at him but his focus was on Ginny.

“I don’t want your pity!” Ginny sighed dramatically.

Harry had to bite his tongue to stop himself from telling her -completely pathetically - that his lunch would be infinitely more enjoyable with her by his side. He steered her by the shoulders to an empty seat halfway up the table. The feel of her arms in his hands caused his stomach to flutter embarrassingly.

“Come on, I need to make sure my players are eating properly.” He said with as much authority as he could manage. Ginny allowed herself to be guided into the seat, Harry took the spot next to her.

Oh, are you being Captain Potter today?” She teased. “I’d better do as you say then.” Her eyes smouldered as she fixed him with a compliant expression. Harry felt as though all the air had gone out of the room.

“Yes.” The word came out as little more than a squeak. He took a large gulp of pumpkin juice to compose himself.

Ginny leant over the table reaching for the baked potatoes. Her hair fell like a wave over her shoulder and her top rode up slightly, exposing a patch of freckled stomach.

“Is this acceptable, captain?” She paused with her hand on the metal tongs, not yet having picked up a potato. Harry dragged his eyes away from her stomach, to meet Ginny’s. He nodded, the ability to speak had left him entirely.

“Wish we could get some extra practice in today,” Ron said wistfully, reminding Harry that there were in fact other people in the hall.

“It’s a nice day for flying.” Ginny agreed, as she returned to her seat and added a mountain of cheese to her potato. “No chance of an extra practice?”

“The Ravenclaw’s have the pitch booked all day,” Harry said regretfully.

“Ginny, you need to study!” Hermione looked frantic. Ginny bit her lip guiltily. Harry felt a sigh working its way past his lips at the sight but he forced it back down.

“Don’t remind me!” Ginny cried. “Ancient Runes is actually impossible.”

“Of course it isn’t!” Hermione reached across the table and patted Ginny’s hand reassuringly. “Do you want me to help you?”

Suddenly Harry bitterly regretted not taking Ancient Runes himself, a sentiment he’d never professed before.

“Are you sure?” Ginny asked uncertainly. “You could actually enjoy your Sunday.”

Ron snorted. “If you let her talk about Ancient Runes all afternoon she will enjoy her Sunday.”

“Thank you,” Ginny said gratefully, turning to Hermione.

Hermione nodded in acknowledgement before rounding on Ron and Harry. “What are you two going to do with your afternoon?

It would be extremely obvious to profess a sudden fascination with Ancient Runes, Harry told himself firmly. Out of habit, he pulled the Marauder’s Map out of his pocket. Malfoy’s dot was nowhere to be seen. Harry was sure he was in the Room of Requirement.

“Don’t waste your whole afternoon chasing 'round after Malfoy!” Hermione snapped.

“It’s Sunday!” Ron whined. “Can’t we just hang around and play chess or something?”

Ginny said nothing, she was watching him closely. Harry’s skin prickled where her eyes roved over him.

“Fine!” Harry snapped. “But we’re going back to the common room via the Room of Requirement.”

“Yeah, because it’s not like it’s completely out of the way or anything,” Ron muttered.

“I think whatever Malfoy’s planning is a bit more inconvenient than a detour on the way to the common room!” Harry snarled.

“How can you say that?” Hermione demanded. “You have no idea if he’s even planning anything! Let alone what it actually is!”

“Alright!” Ginny waved her hands in the air calling for silence. Harry’s retort died on his tongue. “You have an extremely important quidditch match to strategise for.” Ginny reminded him.

She reached into her bag under the table. “Here, I was going to go through these with you later but it looks like I’m going to be busy with Ancient Runes.”

She handed him a stack of parchment. The pages were covered in hastily scribbled quidditch plays. Her head bent close to his as she tapped them with her wand and the little figures began to move. Her flowery scent engulfed him and it was with great effort that Harry focussed on the manoeuvres Ginny was showing him.

“Ravenclaw’s strength is in their beaters. If we do this then we’ll seriously undermine their defence.”

Harry nodded in agreement. “Puts you at higher risk from their bludgers though.”

Ginny shrugged. “Let me worry about that.” She flipped the page to show him some more ideas. Her lips were inches from his as they bent over the pages. It would be so easy to just bend his head slightly and -

“Let me see!” Ron leaned across the table and pulled the parchment towards him. Once again Harry had forgotten his best friend's existence. He’d forgotten the existence of the entire world with Ginny so close to him.

“Are you ready for the library?” Hermione asked Ginny.

Ginny sighed. “Yeah. Let me know what you think of the plays!” She instructed Harry as she stood

Harry watched her leave until she disappeared through the doors.

***
Harry had no luck getting into the room of requirement. Ron leant against the wall huffing at him every few seconds until finally Harry gave up and stomped back up to Gryffindor Tower.

On the way, they ran into a group of seventh year Ravenclaws who began to boo loudly as Harry and Ron passed. Apparently, they had reached the point in the run-up to the final where the hostilities were beginning to surface. Harry ignored them, having endured much worse taunts throughout his time at Hogwarts. Ron, on the other hand, turned deathly pale.

“Ignore them,” Harry instructed, dragging Ron in the direction of the common room. “They’re just trying to get in your head.” Ron had been playing excellently lately, the last thing he needed was a crisis of confidence. He resolved to keep Ron safely ensconced in Gryffindor Tower away from any Ravenclaws, or worse Slytherins, until dinner.

Once they were safely through the portrait hole, Harry threw himself onto one of the sofas by the window and occupied himself with Ginny’s quidditch plays, making small amendments where he could see potential improvements.

He wished she were there to discuss them with. Ron kept peering anxiously over his shoulder wanting to discuss them in minute detail, but it wasn’t the same as talking to Ginny. Ron’s questions were borne out of concern and self-doubt. Ginny’s opinions would have come from a place of confidence and competitiveness.

Eventually, Harry became so concerned about Ron’s self-esteem issues that he coaxed him into a game of chess, even though he was in no mood to play it. Ron won easily, despite Harry’s best efforts, and regained some colour to his cheeks.

Hermione and Ginny returned to the common room just as the two of them were about to go down to dinner. Ginny flopped onto the empty seat on the sofa beside Harry. Her proximity made the hairs on Harry’s arm stand on end.

“Do you know what?” She asked him by way of greeting. He raised his eyebrows curiously. “I hope a bludger takes me out next Saturday. I can die doing what I love and I won’t have to take the O.W.Ls.”

He nodded sympathetically. “Can you score me thirty goals before your untimely demise, please?”

“Easy,” she said once they’d both stopped chuckling. “Next time give me a real challenge.”

Harry’s brain flashed through a number of inappropriate challenges he’d like to issue Ginny with. He felt the blush creeping up his neck, he just hoped it was suitably covered by the collar of his t-shirt.

“Can we go to dinner?” Ron asked.

“Are you coming?” Harry asked Ginny.

She nodded. “Yeah, I’m starving. Hermione’s a slavedriver.”

“That’s a terrible thing to say!” Hermione exclaimed.

Ginny smirked at her. “I’m just glad you’re not quidditch captain. Harry already works us hard enough as it is.”

“I don’t usually hear you complaining.” He had no idea how he’d managed to speak. Her words had driven his imagination into overdrive.

“You know me, I’m more of a suffer in silence type.” Ginny quipped.

“Well, I’m open to suggestions for improvement.” He laughed.

Ginny’s face changed then. Her amused expression suddenly became serious. “You don’t need to change a single thing.” Harry had the distinct impression she wasn’t just talking about his leadership skills. Her face split back into a devilish grin. “Of course, I might change my mind if we don’t win the cup.”

“Are you saying our friendship depends on the outcome of the match?” He already had a deep suspicion that the match was going to be pivotal.

She shrugged. “There are some things you just can’t recover from.”

“I guess I’ll have to play extra hard then,” Harry smirked as if he was joking. As if the prospect of Ginny’s attention wasn’t enough to make him more motivated than he’d ever been before.

“I guess you will.” She said quietly.

“Are we going to dinner or not?” Ron demanded snapping them out of their banter.

***
Demelza was walking a little way in front of them on the way down to the Great Hall. She was laughing excitedly with her friends, their squeals echoed down the corridor.

On the first floor, they passed a group of Ravenclaw fifth years, one of them sneakily stuck out her leg and Demelza tripped, stumbling to the ground.

“Oi!” Harry roared. His hand was streaking for his wand but Ginny was faster. With a hasty incantation, the Ravenclaw’s face was engulfed by bat-bogeys.

“Try that again, Gilbert and you’ll be in the hospital wing for a week!” Ginny growled. The girl wasn’t listening. She was shrieking at her friends, her hands batting desperately at her face.

Demelza’s friends reached down and helped her up. “I’m fine!” She said brightly as she dusted herself off.

The Ravenclaw had finally managed to free her face from the intruding bat-bogeys as Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione caught up to Demelza.

“I’ll see you in charms tomorrow, Weasley.” The girl glowered at Ginny. “You won’t have your protectors around you then.” She gestured towards Harry and Ron. Ginny’s eyes narrowed dangerously and she stepped forward so she stood alone in the middle of the corridor.

“Try it now.” Ginny opened her arms wide, gesturing for the girl to approach. “I’ve seen your wandwork. I don’t need any help taking you on!”

The girl snorted. “Yeah, like I’m going to risk the wrath of Harry Potter.”

Ginny shrieked in indignation. Harry saw what she was going to do seconds before it happened. He lunged forward and pulled her back just as she began to launch herself into the group of Ravenclaw’s.

“Let me go!” She snarled as the Ravenclaw’s ran down the corridor and around the corner. Once their echoing footsteps died away Harry released his grip on Ginny’s arm.

“I could have taken her!” Ginny declared, whirling to face Harry.

“I know but I didn’t want you to risk an injury this close to the match!”

“The only one with an injury would have been her,” Ginny muttered darkly.

“That’s the third time I’ve been tripped today!” Demelza informed them, ending Harry’s admittedly poor attempts to calm Ginny down.

“Right, let’s stick together.” Harry decided, arranging his players in the centre of the group and directing Demelza’s friends and Hermione onto the outskirts. “I don’t want any injuries before Saturday.”

They made it to the great hall without further incident. Jimmy and Ritchie were sitting together with a group of other third years. Katie was with her usual group of seventh year girls. Harry breathed a sigh of relief that they all seemed in good spirits.

The chanting started as their group made its way between the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor tables. A loud verse of Weasley is our king reverberated around the hall. He watched the colour drain from Ron’s face. In contrast, Ginny was becoming redder by the second.

The Slytherins - who had no chance at the cup regardless of the outcome of the match - joined in with the Ravenclaw’s singing. The volume was ear-splitting.

Harry took Ron’s arm in one hand and Ginny’s in the other and steered them into seats. Ginny’s indignant yells were entirely drowned out by the volume of the song.

Demelza and her friends made their way further up the table where there were enough seats for all of them.

McGonagall’s amplified voice echoed around the hall. “ENOUGH!” Silence fell immediately. Without further comment, McGonagall retook her seat and resumed her dinner.

Steadily the volume in the hall rose to normal levels as conversations resumed. Ginny stabbed at her chicken as if it had personally offended her. Ron pushed his around his plate, failing to eat any of it.

Harry glanced at the other members of his team. Katie, his most experienced player, seemed unphased. Jimmy and Ritchie were staring at each other, their expressions twin masks of terror. Demelza’s smile didn’t quite reach her eyes. There were still five days until the final, he couldn’t let his team lose their heads yet.

Harry let Hermione try and coax Ron into eating for another twenty minutes whilst he ate his dinner. It seemed Ritchie and Jimmy had no intention of eating anything further either. Demelza had made a valiant effort at her dinner but her plate remained half full.

Harry sighed before standing. “Team meeting in the common room!” He declared. As one, his team rose from their seats and followed him to the door.

The Ravenclaws' boos were drowned out by the chants of “GRYFFINDOR, HEAR ME ROAR!” from their Gryffindor table. Ginny linked her arm through his in a show of solidarity as they exited the hall. Harry’s spirits soared infinitely.

***
The common room was blissfully empty. Most of the Gryffindors were still at dinner. The team huddled in seats near the notice board.

“Right, we knew it was going to get like this.” Harry began. “We can’t let them get in our heads, that’s what they want.”

Katie nodded in agreement. “We simply have to ignore them.”

“You’ve all been playing really well! I don’t want to lose that momentum because of some cocky Ravenclaws.” Harry tried to sound encouraging. Ginny smiled brightly at him. Demelza perked up significantly. “The only reason they're acting like that is that they're threatened. We can win this with skill alone and they know it, we just have to remember that!” Ginny cheered in encouragement, Katie and Demelza quickly joined in. Jimmy seemed to perk up slightly too. Harry smiled gratefully at them.

“Just stick close to your friends in the corridors this week,” Harry added on a grimmer note. He suspected Ron would be stuck to him like glue until the match was over.

“I’m going to be sick!” Ritchie announced before running for the door to the boy's dormitories. Harry dismissed the team, hoping some of his encouragement had sunk in.

Hermione joined them as he, Ron and Ginny took seats by the window.

"Did you have a look at my strategies?" Ginny asked Harry from the seat beside him.

"Yeah," He reached into his pocket and pulled the parchment back out. Indicating the changes he'd made.

She examined them seriously and nodded. "That's really good. I never would have come up with that." She said, indicating some of the amendments he'd made. Harry felt a flush work across his cheeks.

"You did the hard work." He said.

"The hard work is going to be actually winning," Ron muttered grimly.

Hermione placed a comforting hand on his arm. "You're very capable." She told him. "You just have to believe in yourself." Ron seemed to have lost the power of speech but he nodded dumbly.

The rest of the evening was spent in intense discussion over quidditch tactics. Ginny had clearly spent a great deal of time considering the strengths and weaknesses of not only the Gryffindor team but Ravenclaw's as well. Ron was becoming steadily greener in pallor as Harry and Ginny discussed the finer points of the Ravenclaw team. Hermione kept throwing him concerned glances over the top of her book.

Eventually, Harry took pity on him and suggested they go to bed. Ron agreed without enthusiasm.

"What period do you have charms tomorrow?" Harry asked Ginny after bidding Hermione a good night.

"How do you know I have charms tomorrow?" Her brow was furrowed in confusion.

"That Ravenclaw girl said see you in charms,” Harry explained quickly, silently praying she didn’t think he was stalking her. “I'm going to walk you there. I really don't need my best chaser getting injured."

"I don't need a bodyguard!" Ginny crossed her arms defiantly.

"I know, but could you at least humour me?" He did know she didn't need a bodyguard. If he was really worried about the team it wasn't Ginny he should have been following around. Jimmy and Ritchie were much more vulnerable than her.

"Third period, straight after the break." She rolled her eyes as if she was annoyed but a small smile tugged at the corners of Ginny's lips.

"Harry and I have a free third period. So we won't even have to be late." Ron said cheerfully. Harry's heart sank like a stone. There was no good reason to tell Ron not to join them.

"Two bodyguards. Great." Ginny's smile vanished and her tone held as much enthusiasm as Harry felt.

Harry hurried to bed before Ginny had a chance to tell him that actually she didn’t want him and Ron following her around and could he please leave her alone. Even knowing that Ron was going to be with them, guaranteed time with Ginny still made tomorrow hold infinitely more promise than it had five minutes ago.
Reviews 33
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear