Search:

SIYE Time:21:34 on 19th April 2024
SIYE Login: no


Manipulations to War
By Mutt N Feathers

- Text Size +

Category: Pre-OotP
Characters:Sirius Black
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death
Story is Complete
Rating: R
Reviews: 19
Summary: Sequel to Harry's second Christmas. James and Lily are dead, and Sirius, Remus and Anwen are living in the Potter keep with Harry. They want him to have a well balanced childhood, but the need to keep him safe is greater. Sirius is working to unravel where the Potter money went while Anwen wants to discover why they were in Godric's Hollow and not safely in the Potter's home.
Hitcount: Story Total: 18932; Chapter Total: 508







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 22:
Love


December 27, 1984
Ministry of Magic


"There aren't many people working this week," Frank said to Sirius as the pair walked through the atrium toward the Aurors office. "Technically, you can't come into the rear offices, but I don't think anyone is going to question you."

“Right,” Sirius said with a bit of trepidation. “So, what was it that you requested?”

“The logbooks from Nuremgard,” Frank said plainly. “I wanted to see who was coming and going and who visited Grindelwald.”

“This is because of what Alice found when she last saw Dumbledore?”

“That and,” Frank stopped just before they entered the lift to take them to the DMLE and the Auror offices. “Sirius, Grindelwald is the kind of person who can work the long game and see many, many steps ahead of where others are on a game board. He could be the person behind this whole mess.”

“Why?

“That’s the big question.” The men stepped into the lift carriage and were taken below street level. Three hours later, they were still pouring through the employee logs and visitor information.

“Dumbledore has visited Grindelwald every two weeks for decades,” Sirius said.

“Alice said Albus talked about him like he was in love with him,” Frank relayed.

“He was,” Sirius added softly. “Look, Albus confided in Anwen about their complicated relationship while she was still in school and his ward. Anwen was distressed about being in love with someone who continually hurt her “ me. He shared about his relationship to help her gain some perspective.”

“Did he ever have any other relationships?” Frank asked, both out of personal curiosity and professional concern. Past relationships were a way a person could be compromised.

"None he spoke about, and if he were going to share with anyone, I think it would have been Anwen. He loved her like a daughter; he probably still does. I don't think my wife will ever allow herself to be that close to him again." Sirius was still angry at him for the manoeuvrings of himself and those he was closest to, especially Anwen.

“She appears to have forgiven him,” Frank said. “Alice relayed that his cell is covered in pictures of and drawings by your kids.”

“I know, but that doesn’t mean I like it or that I’ve forgiven him. She can forgive easier than I can. She believes everyone deserves a second chance. I’m not so sure that Albus hasn’t already used up his second chance after trying to rip Harry away from us.” The pair were quiet again and worked for another hour and were about ready to give up and head home for tea when Sirius found what they were worried about.

“He visited Grindelwald in jail,” Lord Black blurted out. “Tom, Voldemort, he signed in under that ridiculous, self-appointed moniker of his and spent nearly four hours with Grindelwald in nineteen-sixty-two. From the timeline we have, he disappeared before that, right?”

“Mid-fifties are when he disappears and begins making those Horcrux things that Dumbledore told us about. Have you had any luck researching them?” Frank asked.

"Yes, although I hate how I found out about them," Sirius said. "My parents have books on them. I left them at Mother's as I don't even want them in the same house as my children. The magic is disturbing, and destroying them will be tricky. I guess it's a good thing I'm from the most deranged Dark family left standing, huh?"

“Don’t think of it that way, Sirius. You’re the one who was strong enough to withstand that upbringing and turn out right.”

"Thanks, Frank," Sirius said, surprised. "James used to say things like that to me."

“James was a smart man. I knew him all his life, my mother and his mother were friends. I might have been older than all of you, but I kept an eye on him, and I could tell he was going to grow up to be a leader somewhere in your fourth year. He was helping a group of third-year girls who were being harassed by some older Slytherins; you were there. James would have lost the duel if I hadn’t shown up. Being Head Boy put an end to things like that. He was willing to risk being serious injured to help the girls out.”

“Yeah, I remember that night,” Sirius said. “Lucius and a few of his friends were…we don't know for certain what he was doing, but I suspect he was using the Imperius Curse and making them expose themselves or something along those lines. We couldn’t let those girls be hurt.” He said it with such earnest honesty that Frank was touched. People who didn’t know Sirius Black well might have thought of him as a worthless playboy; Frank was pleased to know him for more than that.

“You’re an exceptionally good man too, Sirius Black. If you ever want a job, I would be proud to sponsor your training in the Auror department.” Sirius looked at his friend and nodded, then looked back into the logs.

“So, Tom went to visit Gellert,” Sirius said, changing the subject. “Oh, to have been a fly on that wall. Let’s look and see how many other times they conversed and for how long.”

*R*R*R*R*R*

Four days later, everyone was gathering at the Potter keep celebrating the turning of the new year. Anwen, only four weeks away from her due date, was sitting on her favourite couch with a poof holding her feet up while Lizzy was snuggled into her side.

“Mummy, girl baby?” she asked.

“I don’t know, sweetheart. When the baby gets here, we’ll know if it’s a girl or boy, but not before,” Anwen answered.

“Name it Wizzy Wuna B’ack?" the little girl asked, and Anwen broke into a broad smile and chuckled lightly.

“Wouldn’t that make life hard if we named the baby Lizzy Luna Black, too? I would never know who I was calling or who might show up?” Lizzy snuggled deeper into her mother’s side.

“I wove you.”

“I love you, too, my little Lizzy. You’re the brightest star in my sky.”

“Harwy?”

“Oh, I love Harry too, He's my sweet boy, and I'll love this little baby just as much. You and your brother are the best parts of my life."

“Daddy too?”

“Oh, your Daddy is everything in my heart. He’s been my family for a long time, and nothing will ever change that.”

“Good.” There were footsteps on the marble of the entrance hall, and Lizzy wiggled herself off the couch. "Ginny!" Anwen laughed since it appeared both her children were enamoured with the youngest Weasley.

Anwen attempted to get up from the couch in the sitting room, but seeing as she was alone, she couldn't quite manage it. The party was to be in the ballroom since it had the play area and enough table space to seat all the family and friends joining them to ring in the new year. Since nearly everyone had small children, there would be a large celebration at nine, and then everyone would head home. At midnight, the only people awake would be Anwen, Sirius, Remus, and Emme, at least in theory. Anwen wasn’t sure she’d make it to midnight. The woman lifted her hand and sent a Patronus to summon her husband to come and help her move to one of the two settees that had been moved into the ballroom for the two pregnant women.

In the weeks since Lizzy’s first birthday dinner, Walburga Black had been spending more time with her son’s family and visiting the portrait of her former mentor and friend, Euphemia Potter. Sirius learned about who his mother had been before his father had become involved with Tom Riddle and his movement. Walburga was an excellent student in potions and had studied with Fleamont to become a registered potioneer like Lily Potter had become. From Euphemia, she learned about botany and herbology, and it had been this friendship that allowed Walburga to maintain her sanity when she found herself married to a second cousin she despised.

For Anwen, it gave her an understanding of Tom Riddle from his school days. Walburga was in her third year when Tom came to school, and from his first day, she knew he was a student not to turn your back on. There was something intrusive about his presence in the common room, and it made Wally and some of her friends avoid him. By the time he was a prefect, Walburga had avoided him continuously. She was likely to be found with several Ravenclaw cousins in the library or their common room. She was embarrassed to find Orion, a year ahead of Riddle even though they were only born four months apart, following him around like a puppy dog, especially when she learned that she was to marry him.

“Now, you shouldn’t be worrying about such things at a party, Anwen,” Walburga gently chastised. “Put your work away for a while. You’re about to become a mother thrice over.”

“I know, and I will. It’s just…sometimes I look at Harry and wonder what future he will have. I don't believe in this prophecy, and yet we don't have a choice in believing because a bunch of his nutter followers know about it and put stock in it." She received a strong kick for being upset. It seemed that the newest Black bean was emotionally aware of their mother’s moods already. “Oof. Settle down there, little one.”

“That child is reminding you that being an Auror is the third most important task you have set before you. First, you are to grow this grandchild, then care for your family, and then be a research Auror. In that order, child,” Walburga said lovingly.

“Yes, mother,” Anwen with only a hint of sarcasm.

“One last bit of information before we leave this topic of conversation, and we discuss names for my newest grandchild. I have been keeping track of where the other Sacred Twenty-Eight families are for the holiday season. I will give Sirius the list when he comes over on Thursday to do whatever it is he’s doing in the library and won’t let me in.”

“That will be a tremendous help, thank you. Now, as for names “” Anwen was cut off by a screech from Julie Longbottom.

“That wasn’t nice, Ronnie! You shouldn’t take things from your sister!” the little girl yelled. Frank, Sirius, and Arthur went to investigate, so Anwen felt no need to get up. Apparently, the incident upset Lizzy, and she came running over and was soon enveloped in her paternal grandmother's arms, and their conversation ended.

February 6, 1985

“You’re sure it’s okay for me to come, Mr Remus?” Ginny asked as he prepared to take Harry and Lizzy to meet their new sibling.

"Mrs Anwen said that you were very welcome to come since Harry asked nicely that you be invited," Remus answered. He watched as Harry took Ginny's hand, and they talked with one another silently. They could 'talk' this way across the house, but they seemed to prefer speaking silently when they held hands and looked into the other’s eyes. They couldn't yet talk between their homes, although nothing would surprise him with the pair anymore. They were linked most excitingly, and no one had a good reason for how they did it.

Remus got Lizzy into her little coat and put her hat on, although they would not be going outside at all. Anwen was having trouble making her understand that we wore coats and hats in winter. Sirius had often just put a warming charm on her and Harry when he took them out to play, thus negating the lessons on appropriate clothing. Lizzy had asked to wear her swimming costume one day in January, and Anwen dealt with a near hour-long temper tantrum over it. Remus wasn't sure where his friend pulled her patience from.

“How much do you know, Uncle Remus?” Harry asked.

“I know you're the big brother," he said, tapping Harry's head, “you're the big sister," he said, tapping Lizzy's head. "And the baby will either have the bag that says: 'Little Sister' or 'Little Brother.'"

“We’s have a’nodder Lizzy Luna,” Lizzy insisted.

"Lizzy, Mummy, and Daddy told you even if it's a girl, they won't name it Lizzy. That is your name."

“I share!” she said indignantly with a little stomp of her foot.

"Lizzy, while that is nice," Ginny said, taking the littler girl's hand, "I think the baby should have a name of its own. You don't call your dolly Lizzy; you call her Fae, like the fairy stories Mr Remus reads to us. I think the baby should have a name that is all theirs." Lizzy looked at the girl she idolized and nodded.

“Thank you, Ginny, that was very wise of you.”

“Do you have the presents for Mummy and Daddy, Uncle Remus?” Harry asked.

“Yes, I do, and the name is on the one for your daddy.”

“Great,” Harry said. “I have the flowers from the greenhouse.”

“I have the cards everyone made today in class,” Ginny said.

"I have Fae," Lizzy said, speaking of her ever-present baby doll. Remus picked up the little Black girl to carry her through the Floo and reminded Harry and Ginny to hold onto his other hand and each other. Harry tossed the Floo powder into the grate, and Remus yelled out their destination, and the quartet went through the green flames to St. Mungo's.

When they arrived, the older children were quiet, but Lizzy was excited to see her Daddy. Sirius stood up from the rocking chair and took his daughter from his friend, and gave her a big hug and lots of kisses all over her face.

“Mummy, what do I have another sister or a brother?” Harry asked.

“I hope you have a brother,” Ginny whispered. “You need a brother so you can be like Bill.”

"Ginny, Luv, Harry will never have six younger sisters and brothers," Anwen said softly, making the men chuckle. Remus noticed she looked more exhausted than when Lizzy was born. "Harry, Lizzy, you have a new little brother. Remus, he's in the bassinette by the rocking chair. Could you pick him up and bring him over here?"

Remus did as asked and lifted the little bundle wrapped in blue and green and brought him to Anwen. He then lifted Harry and Ginny onto the end of the bed, and Sirius stood close so Lizzy could see, but her hands were far enough away that she couldn't poke at her little brother. "Children, this is Caelum John Black. His name means 'stars in heaven, graced by God'."

“That’s a great name, Mummy. It’s stars, like Daddy’s family and God, because you take us to church,” Harry said thoughtfully.

“That’s what we thought, Harry.”

“Oh, and John is like Uncle Remus’ John?”

“Exactly,” Sirius said. “Now I have a son named after each of my best mates.” Harry looked up at his father and smiled. The smile went straight to Sirius' heart, and he was surprised how his love for his children seemed to grow exponentially every day.

"Uncle Remus, can I have the right bag?" the boy asked, and Remus picked up the bags from the table and gave Harry the blue one. "Oh, the flowers on your night table are for you too." Harry had dropped them there when he was allowed up on the bed. Anwen had Harry reach in and show her the 'little brother' shirt, and Lizzy and Harry showed off their dress and shirt, respectively.

“These are some cards our class made this morning, Mrs Anwen. He’s very cute. His hair is light like yours.” It was true, Caelum had a fine layer of light brown hair, but the children didn’t know what colour eyes he had because Caelum was sleeping. “What colour are his eyes?”

“He was born with the prettiest blue-green colour, sort of like the curtains in the ballroom at home,” Anwen told them.

“He looks much more like your Mum than either you or Lizzy do,” Sirius said.

“Dad, I don’t look like you or Mum. I look like my first Mum and Dad.”

“No, Harry, you look like Mr Sirius and Mrs Anwen,” Ginny said kindly. “With your dark hair and green eyes, you could be their son.” Ginny took his hand and then kissed his cheek. It made Harry blush.

“Uh, maybe we need to do presents. Where is the box for Mummy?” Harry asked, flustered.

"Here it is, Harry," Remus said with a barely hidden grin. "Anwen, we'll add Caelum's stone to your wreath pin, but this is something Harry and Lizzy helped pick out." Anwen peeked into the little sack the gift was in and pulled out an even smaller velvet sack. She looked at her son and then her daughter with excitement. She opened the little bag and pulled out a beautiful bracelet that would match her mother's pin. Most of the bracelet were pearls, but there were five gemstones “ a Citrine for November, a Diamond for April, a Ruby for July, A Sapphire for September, and an Amethyst for February. Anwen had Remus help her put it on, although it was a bit formal for her nightgown and dressing gown.

"Thank you, Harry and Lizzy; I love it," Anwen said, crying.

“Are you sad Mrs Anwen?” Ginny asked.

“No,” Harry said. “Mummy just has so much love it’s leaking out her eyes. It’s okay to cry if you feel like it.”

“I’m glad you’re happy,” Ginny said.

"Daddy, I have something for you too," Harry said, "but I bet you can guess what it is." Harry took the little box from his uncle, and Sirius handed Lizzy off to Remus and then took the box. Not surprising to Sirius, the package contained another dog bone for his necklace; this one said Caelum.

"This is perfect, kids," he said while reaching inside his shirt to take the necklace off. He tapped the charm with his wand, and it was immediately on the chain, and Sirius slipped it back over his head. "Keeping my kids right near my heart."

“We are so blessed,” Anwen said, beginning to cry harder.

"Don't cry, Mummy," Lizzy said very loudly, which woke Caelum up. Anwen needed to nurse him, so Remus told that maybe if they went to the nurse's station, they could find some colouring books and crayons, like when Lizzy was born. Harry mentioned the cheese sandwiches too, which made Lizzy want one. Remus figured if they didn't have any there, he could take them to the canteen when Emme arrived from work, which would be any minute now.


March 15, 1985
Nighman Family Home


“It’s not often I get to welcome two new children into our magical world," Minerva said, "but it seems appropriate that these two come in together." Today was the official naming ceremony for the Black and Longbottom babies. Minerva, as the oldest member of their 'family group' not related to either set of parents, had the honour of announcing their names. Anwen and Sirius had already had Caelum baptized at the Methodist church in the village, but this was the faith Sirius had grown up with.

Minerva first took little Caelum from Anwen and held him in her arms. “What name is given this child?”

“Caelum John Black,” Anwen and Sirius answered clearly. Anwen was still riding the hormonal rollercoaster and had already teared up. Sirius wrapped his arm over her shoulders and pulled her closer to give her a bit more support. It seemed with each child they had, she became a bit weepier.

“We give you the name, Caelum John, little one," Minerva began, "such a big name for such a little person. Though you are too young to accept it yourself and to thank the givers, we all accept it in your stead. Your parents gave you this name in love, and we all will joyfully use it whenever we think of you.” Minerva kissed little Caelum on the forehead and gave the baby to Walburga, and she said the words of acceptance.

Minerva repeated the actions with the Longbottom newborn. "What name is given this child?"

“Emma Claire Longbottom,” Alice and Frank said, and Minerva gave the baby back to her grandmother, Claire, who spoke the words of acceptance.

“With this word, with your name, Emma Claire, we weave you into the web of words, which together sing the love of god and goddess.”

"Welcome, children, welcome to our family," Minerva said happily, and the service was over, and the Nighmans welcomed everyone into their dining room to celebrate the twin naming ceremonies.





Reviews 19
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear