Search:

SIYE Time:5:03 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Moody's Blues
By gryffins_door

- Text Size +

Category: Post-OotP, Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance
Warnings: Death, Mild Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 81
Summary: The adults in Harry's life start acting more like adults; in the meantime, Harry discovers something special in Ginny. Starts late in OotP; mostly canon to that point. Total AU after Book 6. H/G, mentor Moody.
Hitcount: Story Total: 22653; Chapter Total: 1673
Awards: View Trophy Room




Author's Notes:

A/N: R.I.P. Moody Blues drummer and co-founder, Graeme Edge, 30 March, 1941 - 11 November, 2021, who also wrote poetry for the band, such as Departure, which is the prelude to Ride My See-Saw.

Ch 4 in which Diagon Alley is a depressing place...




ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


- 4 -
Departure

T o have all these things
In our memories hoard
And to use them
To help us
To find...

- The Moody Blues

o o
o

"I was right! My mum and Snape grew up in the same town!"

Gathered with the Weasleys in the kitchen preparing for dinner, Harry had received a letter back from his Aunt Petunia a mere three days after writing through normal post. He, Hermione and Fleur joined Ron, Ginny, Bill and Molly; only Arthur had yet to arrive home.

"Huh," Harry continued, "she says she told me about Snape a year ago. It was him who described what dementors were. I assumed she was talking about dad… She says that Snape was always meeting my mum at this park nearby since he lived in the bad part of town, but that stopped after her fifth year. That's when he insulted her. She wouldn't talk to him after that."

"That's good to know, Harry, but why is this so important?"

"I don't know, Hermione, it's just a gut feeling I have."

"And you know we have to trust Harry's gut," Ron chortled.

"At least Harry doesn't have to be stuffing his gut all the time," quipped Ginny.

Harry laughed at the siblings taking the mickey. This was what family was supposed to be like. "Maybe I just want to know why Snape hates me so much. At least I don't have to deal with potions anymore."

"Why wouldn't you have potions?" asked Bill.

"Snape requires an O on the potions OWL and I didn't get it." It had been a blow to learn that his dream of becoming an auror had become dust even before he started.

Bill frowned. "I thought you said Slughorn was coming out of retirement."

"Yeah," replied Harry, remembering the adventure with Dumbledore. "Apparently I helped talk him into it. Why does that matter?"

"He was the potions teacher before Snape. Mum and dad told us all about him."

"He was very good," Molly added absent-mindedly as she organized the food for cooking.

Harry stared at him in disbelief. "If Slughorn is teaching potions -"

"Of course," Hermione said. "Snape has always wanted the DADA position; Dumbledore must have finally agreed to it."

"Oh, Merlin," moaned Harry, "this is the year that I die for sure."

"What? Why do you say that?" pressed Bill.

"It's no secret," said Ron, "every DADA teacher we've had so far has tried to do Harry in. Fortunately, they weren't very good at it. Snape, on the other hand -"

Fleur started to laugh, but stopped when she saw everyone else was nodding with serious expressions. "Surely zis ees a joke, oui?"

"I wish it was," said Harry. "The toad from the ministry tried to give me the dementor's kiss last summer before school even started. When that didn't work, she put me on trial for underage magic, then at school she followed up with intimidation and torture."

He showed her the back of right hand that still bore the scar, I must not tell lies, in his own handwriting.

"Mon Dieu," she gasped, grabbing his hand for closer inspection.

Harry thought it odd that he felt none of the allure coming from her. He saw Ginny looking at him curiously and he gave a small shrug.

He continued, "You know about the Death Eater impersonating Professor Moody during the Tri-Wizard Tournament - he packaged me up for Voldemort to use and abuse before a final go with his favorite curse. I was really lucky that brother wands don't work properly against each other."

"Brother wands?"

"Yeah, our wands both have a feather from the same phoenix. The year before that Remus Lupin forgot to take his potion during the full moon and the werewolf would have killed all of us without Sirius' intervention. The year before that Gilderoy Lockhart tried to remove our memories and leave us trapped in the Chamber of Secrets so he could write a new book touting his latest imagined achievements. We were saved because he tried to use Ron's broken wand. Our first year, Quirrell tried to kill me at least three separate times while he was possessed by Voldemort."

"You're forgetting that he let in the troll as well," Hermione said.

"Yeah, but it was trying to kill you, so I'm not counting that one."

Fleur looked back and forth between the Hogwarts students in horror, noting how frequently near-death experiences happened to them. It seemed the dangers of the tournament were little different to their normal lives. "How ees zis possible? What happened to zese teachers?"

Harry sighed. "The toad walks free, but she did get to spend a night in the Forbidden Forest in the tender care of the centaurs. Remus had to resign, but he was the only one who was not trying to kill me on purpose. The others… they... aren't really with us anymore."

"What does zat mean?"

"The Death Eater got the Dementor's Kiss, Lockhart blasted his own memories away and is permanently in hospital, and Quirrell… well, I sort of killed him myself."

"Harry," Molly chided as she continued to direct a set of magical knives that were slicing a small mountain of vegetables, "that was self defense. Dumbledore said you were very brave."

"Yeah," Ron agreed, "probably the first time anyone's got points for offing a teacher."

Harry scowled, "Not funny, Ron," while the others laughed anyway.

"But where were ze teachers that were supposed to be preventing all zis?" asked Fleur. "Who looks out for you?"

"We look out for each other," said Ron. "Me and Harry saved Hermione from the troll, she bumped into Quirrell at the Quidditch match when he tried to jinx Harry's broom -"

"And we all worked together to save the Philosopher's Stone," said Hermione. "I don't think any one of us could have made it through all those traps alone."

"Probably not," said Harry, "but you worked out the most important clue that a basilisk was Slytherin's monster so that we could rescue Ginny from that diary version of Voldemort."

"Hold on," Bill said, "what exactly was this 'diary version' of You-Know-Who?" He remembered his mum and dad just said it had done some sort of mind control on her, but the explanation seemed incomplete.

"Basically a memory of himself that he created while still in school. The more life force he drew from… the person he possessed," Harry said, trying not to look towards Ginny, "the more corporeal he became. He was already more substantial than a ghost when I saw him in the Chamber."

Bill nodded, deep in thought. He barely registered the continuing discussion about how they had saved each other's lives several other times during their school years. This diary could not contain normal magics to behave as Harry described. The only ones he knew about were dangerous and very dark. A discussion with Professor Dumbledore was probably warranted.

o o o

"There's a bright side to all this, Harry."

"And what would that be?"

"If you can take potions under this new professor, then you can still be an Auror."

"Ginny, that's brilliant! I knew there was some reason I liked you."

"And this had nothing to do with it?" Ginny pulled him into another long, tender kiss that left them both breathless.

Harry held her closely in their new favorite late-night hangout - the lounge settee - where it was much easier to relax into each other's embrace.

"Yeah, that's always gonna be a winner." And he returned the kiss.

"Harry?"

"Um-hmm?"

"Do we tell the others we're going out now?"

Harry thought back to his birthday and her "special gift" just before midnight, which led to more kisses for a time that seemed to last no time at all. He had asked, "So what does that make us now?"

She had impishly replied, "What do you want us to be?"

And that's how they became secret boyfriend/girlfriend.

Harry pulled her back so he could look at her directly. "Gin, I promised to keep you safe. If that means we need to keep this new 'us' a secret, then that's what we'll do. If we need to break up -"

"That is not happening, Mr. Potter!"

"If it keeps you safe, and that's the only choice, I would do that, Gin, even though it would tear me apart inside. You are the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"Even better than being made Gryffindor Quidditch Captain?" she said slyly.

"No comparison," he said with certainty. "As for being captain, I'm still pretty clueless, but I'm definitely going to skip Wood's speech of 'beat them or die trying.'"

"I'm sure you'll do fine, Harry, as long as you remember who your best chasers are."

Harry laughed. "You and Katie are both shoo-ins. No one else holds a candle to you."

"You sure know how to flatter a girl, Mr. Potter. Now, do you remember how to kiss her?"

o o o

The day finally arrived for the annual Diagon Alley shopping trip. The teens were excited by the presence of a Ministry car in front of the house, and even more when a familiar face stepped out from the passenger side.

"Everyone needs a list of what they need and where to get it," barked retired Auror Mad-Eye Moody. "We can't be wasting time standing around the Alley as potential targets."

"Constant vigilance!" yelled Ron.

"Damn right," growled Moody, and the group was chuckling as they climbed into the car.

They were all impressed with the obvious expansion charms on the interior. Molly and Arthur climbed in front next to the Ministry driver, followed by Moody who sat on the outside, always on the lookout for threats, yet there was plenty of room for the four of them.

In the rear, Hermione and Ginny sat on one side of the car, giggling conspiratorially, while Ron slipped in beside Hermione with Harry last.

"What's up with them?" asked Harry, indicating the girls.

"Dunno," said Ron with a shrug. "They were looking back at the house, pointing at something, then they started up like that."

Harry remembered Bill and Fleur were at the kitchen window, grinning widely as they waved goodbye, and suddenly Harry's face heated as he realized what they could be getting up to with the Burrow all to themselves for the next few hours. He caught Ginny's eyes across the back of the car and noticed how they were sparkling at him. He forced his gaze forward before he got even more embarrassed than he already was.

They were in front of the Leaky Cauldron in London in a surprisingly short time.

Expecting a small detachment of Aurors, Harry was more than pleased that Hagrid was their security detail for their jaunt in the Alley, despite having to check that all his body parts were intact after the half-giant's sideways hug.

"Dumbledore said I was good enough ter watch ya, especially if Mad-Eye was helpin'," he said with a proud smile.

Harry had no doubts that it was true.

Harry remembered Diagon Alley when Hagrid brought him here the first time - had it been five years ago? He was shocked at the difference as they walked through the arch from the Leaky Cauldron - several shops were boarded over, every smooth space covered in posters with security advice from the Ministry or displaying wanted fugitives from the Ministry, angry faces that tried to leap off the wall and devour passers-by. Refuse littered dead corners, and the few people that hurried through looked as if they didn't want to become part of that refuse. It was as if a fog of depression had settled over the whole area and made it a bleak reminder of its former self.

Several shabby-looking stalls had been erected that hawked even more questionable merchandise. Arthur threatened at least one of the seedy vendors who leeringly suggested a cheap-looking protection amulet for Ginny as they passed.

It got Harry to thinking - did someone here sell legitimate products like that?

To save time, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley took Ginny to get their books while Ron, Hermione and Harry headed to Madam Malkins' shop to get the larger robes they all needed.

Unfortunately, Draco Malfoy and his mother Narcissa were already there. Draco was in quite the strop, fussing about where the seamstress poked her needles, and didn't get any friendlier when the others entered the shop.

Draco began insulting Hermione as soon as he saw the trio, and found himself facing the wands of both Ron and Harry, despite protests from Madam Malkin.

As Hermione protested that it wasn't worth them getting into trouble, Mrs. Malfoy implied that Harry could be joining his dead godfather soon.

Mad-Eye Moody, who had been outside chatting with Hagrid, walked into the standoff and cut off Harry's intended comeback.

"Madam Malfoy," he greeted her with a semi-respectful nod, "I don't believe you're in any position to be making threats, veiled or not."

"As I recall, Mr. Moody, you are retired and in no position to do anything about it."

"I suppose I could just walk away and let these lads loose on you, eh?" Moody replied, indicating Harry and Ron, who still held their wands pointed at the Malfoys.

"You would allow them to get in trouble for you?" Narcissa sneered.

"The only trouble I see is this young man following the same mistaken path as his father," he said, suddenly grabbing firmly at Draco's left wrist.

Draco yowled and jerked his arm out of Moody's grasp. "Let go of me, you crazy senile blood traitor!"

"Funny, you calling someone else a traitor, Malfoy," said Ron. "Maybe you should look that up so you know what it means."

Draco scowled murderously at Ron before pulling off the new set of dark green robes and throwing them at Madam Malkins' feet. "Mother, the company here has become unbearable, and I don't want these anymore. Let's go someplace else."

Narcissa Malfoy's glare matched her son's as they stalked imperiously away, much to the relief of the seamstress, despite not making a sale to the wealthy purebloods.

"Good one, mate," Harry said, slapping Ron on the back.

"Yes, Ron, well done," said Hermione before she turned to Moody. "What was that with Draco, Professor?"

"I was never your professor, lass," said the retired Auror, his magical eye still following the retreating Malfoys. "And we can discuss that little episode later," tilting his head, indicating the shop staff.

Madam Malkin was apparently still flustered over the confrontation, but eventually the robes were complete and everyone was glad to get on their way.

Once clear of the shop, Hermione rounded on Mad-Eye Moody.

"So what was that about with Draco? Did you see something?"

"I might have. What of it?"

Harry remembered that Mad-Eye Moody's magical prosthetic eye could see through solids. He had grabbed Draco's left wrist, which seemed to be very sensitive, like he'd just gotten a -

"Oh, Merlin," Harry breathed. "Tell me he doesn't have the Dark Mark."

Moody stared at him appraisingly for a few moments. "I wish I could."

"No!" cried Hermione, "surely he wouldn't - he couldn't have!"

"Hermione," Harry said, "do you really think Voldemort's above using kids to do his dirty work? Draco probably jumped at the chance."

"Aye," said Moody, "it's not safe to assume there's anything the Dark Lord won't do. However, this is dangerous information; it's not gossip material for the classroom nor the dorm room, so keep a lid on it. I'll report it to Dumbledore - just in case."

They met Ginny and her parents heavily laden with books on their way to the apothecary, where they all refreshed their potions kit, making small talk about what the new potions professor might be like. It was a safe bet he would not be worse than Snape.

Everything else accomplished, they wandered towards the location that Fred and George had set up premises.

Nothing prepared them for the riot of color and movement of the Weasley Wizard Wheezes window display, including the not-so-subtle insult on You Know Who being less important than their new product U No Poo - "the constipation sensation that's gripping the nation."

Mrs. Weasley was aghast. Harry and Ron thought it brilliant and laughed at the sight.

The shoppers seemed to agree with the boys for the shop was the only one Harry had seen that was packed, the customers eager to see the latest pranks and novelty magic.

Fred and George gave Harry the grand tour and eventually showed him the area where they kept items unavailable to the general public. Shield hats - originally designed as a novelty - had led to a whole line of special defense products for the Ministry.

"This is brilliant, guys - way more than I could have imagined!" Harry said as he picked up a decoy detonator - a portable distraction device that he thought might be useful.

"Take whatever you want," one of the twins said. "You gave us the start-up funds after all."

"Hey, I did that because I knew you could use it, not so I could get free stuff off you."

"Don't care," said the other twin. "Your money's no good here."

Their generosity did not extend to Ron, which frustrated the youngest brother to the point of cursing, earning him a reprimand from his mum.

Harry laughed and watched Ginny playing with a cute little furball called a Pygmy Puff, before he caught movement behind her.

He turned to Hermione and Ron. "There goes Draco, and his mum is nowhere around."

Ron said, "You're right - he's up to something."

Indeed, the young Malfoy seemed to be nervously checking behind him as he made his way past their window.

"Harry…" Hermione said warningly.

"No time for discussion," Harry said, throwing his invisibility cloak over them as he pulled them towards the door. "He's getting away!"

However, no sooner than they had crept out into the alley, Mad-Eye Moody - whose magical eye had the ability to see through such cloaks - blocked their path.

"And where might you three be off to?" he asked in a tone that demanded an honest answer.

"Sorry, sir," Harry said in a rush. "Draco Malfoy looked very suspicious walking down this way, and he's alone."

"He got rid of Narcissa somehow, eh?" Moody said thoughtfully. "I hear you have good instincts. You two - " he said, indicating Ron and Hermione, "stay here and if they ask, let them know Potter's with me on an errand."

Reluctantly - Ron more so than Hermione - stepped back to the store entrance.

"Be careful," Hermione said plaintively.

As Harry threw the cloak back over himself and the retired Auror, Ron quipped, "Don't worry, he'll be fine. Harry will take care of him."

Hermione stared dumbfounded at Ron, then snorted. "Oh, you," she said, shaking her head, "let's get back inside."

Ron laughed as he held the door for her.

Meanwhile, Harry finally spotted Draco turning into Knockturn Alley. "There! To the left!"

"I saw him," Moody said with a low growl. "Let's move before he ducks into one of the shops."

When they entered the alley known for its concentration of unsavory businesses and clientele, Draco was nowhere to be seen. When they finally discovered him again, he was inside Borgin and Burkes, the one shop that Harry had visited before, a mishap during his first encounter with floo travel.

"Do you have some kind of eavesdropping spell?" asked Harry in a low voice, huddling outside the shop window. "I have no idea what he's saying."

"Yeah, but it won't work through walls or windows. We'll just have to guess."

"He keeps pointing at something behind that cabinet," Harry said, recognizing it as the cabinet he had hid inside from Draco and his father. How ironic that he was back here hiding again. "Can you see what it is?"

"No, there's nothing there," replied Moody. "He seems interested in the cabinet itself. From here, it looks like it might be a vanishing cabinet, but those always come in pairs."

"Do you suppose he's trying to find the other one?"

Moody grunted in response, indicating his lack of knowledge. They continued to watch as Draco argued with the shop owner, eventually directing his attention to his left forearm. Mr. Borgin suddenly appeared frightened and Draco intensified his argument.

"He just showed off his Dark Mark, didn't he?"

"Aye, lad, it looked that way. He's still not getting whatever he's wanting though."

Indeed, Draco soon left the shop muttering angrily without making any purchases. Harry and Moody had to quickly press against the wall to avoid getting bumped and discovered. Draco eventually turned back into Diagon Alley, disappearing the way he came.

"Can you find out from Borgin what that was all about?"

"I could try if I wasn't retired, but Borgin didn't break any laws that we could see, and he would deny anything we tried to pin on him. So no, I don't think a meeting would be productive."

"All right," Harry said, disappointed.

They slowly made their way back towards Fred and George's shop. Harry couldn't help but think the chase had been a useless exercise, just an opportunity to wander the Alley almost alone.

Which gave him an idea.

"Sir," he said, "could I ask a special favor… possibly two?"

o

Reviews 81
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear