Search:

SIYE Time:19:03 on 28th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


Harry Potter and the Secrets of the Chamber
By Gin110881

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Albus Dumbledore, Harry/Ginny, Minerva McGonagall, Nymphadora Tonks, Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley, Sirius Black
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 73
Summary: Raised by his godfather Sirius Black in seclusion, Harry Potter finds new friends after the return of the Dark Lord, and together they seek ways to overcome the rising darkness.
Hitcount: Story Total: 21599; Chapter Total: 1298
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Upon arriving home after his class with Dumbledore, Harry found Sirius and Remus sitting in the kitchen over a cup of tea. Leaning over half a dozen photographs, they had an animated discussion.

"Hi, what are you doing?" Harry asked, interested as he walked into the kitchen, throwing his jacket over the back of a chair.

Giving Harry a brief glance, Sirius pointed at the photos. "Remus brought some old photographs with the members of the Order from back then."

"What kind of order?" asked Harry, puzzled.

"The Order of the Phoenix. Your parents are also in some of the photos," Sirius replied, pushing a picture across the table for Harry.

"Do you mean the Order Dumbledore was talking about? The Order he wanted to revive?" Harry asked, gazing at the picture with his parents

"Exactly this one," Sirius replied.

The picture in his hand showed a group of people in front of a restaurant. Harry's eyes immediately fell on his parents, who smiled at each other and then looked waving at the photographer. Next to them, he recognized Sirius and Remus, but the other people in the photo were unknown to him. Sirius had his hair long back then and was barely recognizable compared to today.

"Tomorrow, Dumbledore wants to hold a meeting to bring the Order back to life. He invited the old members who survived the first war," Remus explained.

"I'll join the Order," Harry said solemnly. "What speaks against it?" he asked when Sirius made a face.

"You must be of legal age to become a member of the Order," Remus said calmly.

"We'll keep you up to date on everything important," Sirius promised. "What do you think, Moony? After all, Harry is directly affected by it."

Remus didn't seem to like the situation as he grimaced first but then nodded cautiously. "Alright. But we should tell Albus about it."

Sirius shrugged. "You're welcome to do that. I don't care if Albus agrees or not."

"How come you always call the headmaster by his first name?" Harry had wanted to ask this question for a long time. Everyone addressed Dumbledore as headmaster, professor, or at least Mr Dumbledore - but Sirius had always called him Albus as far as Harry could remember. Was it something to do with the Marauders?

While Remus chuckled, Sirius looked puzzled until an understanding grin crossed his face. "I'm so used that everyone in the Order is addressed by their first name that I've never have given it a thought."

"Ah, okay, okay." laughed Harry. "Now, I'm glad to have to wait another year to join the Order. I can't imagine calling Dumbledore Albus."

"I'd like to see his face if you do," Sirius replied with a laugh.

"Did you talk to Moony about the map?" asked Harry.

"Oh, yes. He did," Remus replied. "And I think it should be possible. I just need to find my notes from back then. But I have an idea where they could be."

"I want to help," said Harry. "I want to know how such a map is made. Someday it could become handy."

"I suggest that we all three are working on it," replied Remus. "I just need to find my notes and reread them to remember what we've done, and then I'll get back to you."

"That's fine with me," said Harry, glancing over at his godfather. What do you think, Sirius?"

"Yeah." Sirius agreed. "Remus knows best if we have everything we need to make a new map."

"Well, then I don't want to bother you any further. I'm in urgent need of a shower." Harry hurried up the stairs. The broadcast of the Quidditch match between Puddlemore and the Arrows would begin on the wireless in minutes.

"Damn it," Harry cursed. He had totally forgotten to tell Sirius that Dumbledore was busy with the Board of Governors and the Wizengamot for the next few Saturdays. Quickly, he turned and ran back down the stairs.

At Sirius' questioning look, Harry said, "I've almost forgotten. I won't have lessons with Dumbledore the next few weekends. He's busy with Ministry stuff."

"We can use the time for training sessions with Tonks," suggested Sirius.

"Na," Harry shook his head. "Next week, Dumbledore wants me to go to the library to get the books I'll need. He's already got me an appointment with the librarian…Madam Pince's her name, isn't it? Anyway, she's expecting me at 10 o'clock."

"I'll ask Dora if she'd come over for tea next week, so we can talk about your training hours," suggested Remus.

"As soon as Tonks knows you're here, she'll be there in a minute, Moony." Sirius gave his friend an ambiguous look.

Remus just rolled his eyes but said nothing.

"Did I miss something?" asked Harry, raising his eyebrows.

"It seems to me that your Uncle Moony is a little thin on the subject," Sirius laughed, changing the topic. "How is your class with Dumbledore going? I hope everything is alright. Or do I have to expect a howler anytime soon?"

Harry laughed. "It looks like this. Occlumency is definitely never going to be my favourite subject. It always gives me a headache. Duelling and practising defensive spells are fun. Dumbledore claims I'm pretty good at it, but I'm sure he's holding back." Harry paused for a moment. "I won't learn anything about Voldemort's life until Dumbledore is back in two or three weeks. He wants to show me memories. This is going to be pretty scary. I can't say I'm looking forward to it," Harry said with a shrug. "I'm going to take a shower now."

"I'm sure it won't hurt to know a bit more about Voldemort," Remus called after him as he hurried back up the stairs.

**



Harry felt miserable as he crawled out of his bed. Each move of his sore muscles was accompanied by a loud moan. The first training session with Tonks the night before had been tough. After two hours of permanent moving and dodging, Harry was exhausted and couldn't move a single limb anymore.

When Andromeda Tonks had shown up last Wednesday evening to give Harry the weekly Potions lesson, she'd brought her daughter, Nymphadora, with her. As a new Auror, she was mostly assigned to the weekend shifts, so they had agreed that Harry would have his duelling lessons with her every Friday evening.

What Harry hadn't expected was that these lessons would be so taxing. While the lessons with Dumbledore were about learning new spells and perfecting them, most of the practices with Tonks consisted of constant moving and dodging the spells the Auror sent at him in ever shorter intervals. The unpleasant side effect was that he could barely move today.

In the hope a hot shower would bring him some relief, Harry dragged himself to the bathroom. Laboriously, he pulled his shirt over his head, took off his boxer shorts and turned the water on so hot he could just bear it.

A pleasant shiver ran down his spine as the hot water ran down his body. Motionless, he stood in the shower, waiting for his sore muscles to lose tension.

Half an hour later, as Harry stepped into the kitchen, Sirius was already waiting for him with breakfast. With a knowing grin, he eyed Harry. "Are you alright? How are you feeling, Harry?"

"It's been worse," Harry muttered and sank down on his chair, groaning.

"Earlier, it sounded like a hippogriff had attacked you." Sirius gave Harry a sceptical glance.

"That was earlier. I've told you it's been worse." Harry took a sip of his tea, staring at the plates with beans and eggs Sirius had placed at the table. He wasn't hungry but felt he should eat something before going to Hogwarts.

"Can I have a coffee?" Harry asked.

Sirius raised an eyebrow but didn't say a word.

"There's a first time for everything," said Harry. "And this morning, I feel ready for a coffee that can raise the dead."

Chuckling, Sirius banished Harry's tea and poured his godson a coffee from his personal coffeepot. "Dora's training seems to be good," Sirius said as he pushed the cup back to Harry.

"Oh, yeah," Harry replied, rolling his head with a low moan. "She's as fit as a fiddle."

"Do you want some pepper-up potion before you leave for Hogwarts," Sirius asked.

"I'm fine," Harry replied, not entirely sure if it was the correct answer. He tried his beans and eggs and took a sip of the coffee. "Oh, that's ... oh. That's so good," he moaned as he swallowed the bitter drink.

"You're welcome to have sugar and milk in your coffee," Sirius said. "I prefer it black, though. Could be because of my family name," Sirius chuckled.

Invigorated by his breakfast, Harry felt almost new. He said goodbye to Sirius and made his way to Hogwarts. As he passed Hagrid's hut, Harry noticed loud noises and glanced over to the Quidditch pitch, where a match was going on. Apparently, all of Hogwarts students and their visitors were in the stands, cheering for their teams. Suddenly Harry remembered that Ginny was playing for the Gryffindor team. Maybe her team was playing right now. Glancing at his watch, Harry decided he still had 10 minutes to spare to get to Madam Pince on time. Hurrying over to the Quidditch pitch, he headed through a gate that led to the bottom rows of the stands. Curiously, he peeked through the door that opened up onto the Quidditch pitch - and was astonished.

The spectators sat tightly packed in the stands and cheered the teams on loudly. Obviously, Gryffindor had just scored a goal as there was an announcement that Katie Bell had just scored the 30:50. The players clapped each other and regrouped. A brief glance at his watch told Harry that he had to hurry.

With quick steps, Harry raced up the footpath to the main entrance, pleased that Ginny's team was in the lead but also regretting that he wouldn't see her today. Once, as the noise of the stadium exploded, Harry glanced back briefly. Apparently, another goal had been scored, but unfortunately, he couldn't understand the announcement. Knowing that he needed to hurry, Harry ran through the entrance hall towards the moving stairway. Relieved that it sent him to the correct floor, he followed the signs and turned into a corridor on the third floor that led him to the library door. Glancing at his watch, Harry hoped Madam Pince wouldn't blame him for being ten minutes late.

As he stepped through the door, Harry looked around and was instantly overwhelmed by the sheer number of books spread out on large shelves over two floors. The tables in the reading room were almost all vacant. Most Hogwarts students probably weren't ready to study so early on a Saturday morning, or they were on the Quidditch pitch, watching the game.

An elderly woman at a large desk near the entrance door immediately looked over at Harry, giving him a disapproving look. She cleared her throat and beckoned him to her. "I take it you are Mr Potter?" she asked with a stern expression.

"Yes, I am," Harry replied. "I'm sorry for being late, but ..."

"It's alright. I don't even want to hear your excuses now that you're finally here," the woman interrupted him gruffly. "Professor Dumbledore told me you need several books. I hope you have the list with you."

"Yes, of course," Harry replied, rummaging in the backpack he'd brought in case he had to lend some books. "Here it is." He smoothed out the piece of parchment and placed it on Madam Pince's table.

The woman briefly scanned the list and nodded. When she reached the end of the list, she looked up and raised her eyebrows. "Most of the books you can find in row B 10. That's right over there next to the second window." She pointed to the right side of the reading room.

Turning in that direction, Harry nodded when he saw the window.

"The last two books, however, are not available to the public," explained Madam Pince. "You can find them in the restricted section, which, as the name suggests, is restricted from public access."

Staring at Harry's list, the woman shook her head. "Alright," she said finally, looking at Harry. "Since the list was written in Dumbledore's handwriting, I'm assuming the Headmaster has given you permission to enter the restricted section."

"Thanks," said Harry, relieved.

"You'll find the restricted section behind the passage, there on the left." The woman pointed to a passage separated from the reading room by a red cord.

"If you have any questions, come and find me at my desk. Is that clear?" The woman gave him a stern look.

When Harry nodded, murmuring, "Okay", she gave him a brief smile and said, "Then get started."

"Thanks again," muttered Harry. Taking the reading list from the desk, he left to find an empty table next to the passage to the restricted section. Browsing the list he had only briefly scanned beforehand, he sat down.

Half of the books were about Occlumency and defensive curses. Then there were three books about the Hogwarts founders, and...Harry raised his eyebrows...two books about the Dark Arts, The Cruellest Known Soul Spells of the World by Eduardo Greenwhite and The Limits Of Soul Magic by Epiphanius Dodgewell. No wonder Madam Pince had been so hesitant. Curious, Harry decided to start with the forbidden books.

With the list in his hand, Harry slipped past the barrier to the restricted section. Trying to memorise the titles of the two books, he slowly walked through the shelves, browsing the backs of the books.

He had been searching the shelves for about twenty minutes without success when a voice asked, "You're the boy from the hospital wing, aren't you?"

Startled, Harry turned around and stared at a brunette girl he'd seen somewhere before. She wore Ravenclaw robes with a shimmering prefect badge on the chest.

"I'm who ..." Harry asked, perplexed.

"I'm sure I've seen you in the hospital wing. Professor Dumbledore was sitting by your bed. That must've been in January. I'm sure it was you," said the girl with a scrutinising look. "Which house do you belong to? What are you doing here?"

"I ..." Harry hesitated. What should he tell the girl? It would be best to stay as close as possible to the truth, wouldn't it? With a polite smile, he answered, "I don't belong to any house."

"Are you even allowed to access the restricted section then?" The girl asked, giving him an inquisitorial look.

"Err. Yes, of course," Harry replied. "Madam Pince said I could because Dumbledore wrote the reading list for me?"

Giving Harry a suspicious look, the girl asked, "Who are you?"

"I'm Harry. And who are you?" Harry asked, slightly annoyed by the endless questioning.

"I'm Hermione Granger, one of the Ravenclaw Prefects," the girl replied guardedly. Harry could almost hear her brain working and was relieved when she finally smiled and said, "It's alright if Professor Dumbledore has given you permission. Let me know if I can help you. I know my way around here pretty well."

"Thanks. Do you know where I can find those?" asked Harry, handing her his reading list.

She raised an eyebrow. "That's very dark magic. No Hogwarts student should learn such things."

"I'm not here to learn dark spells," Harry replied. "Dumbledore said I need know what kind of dark spells exist. And besides that, I'm not a Hogwarts student as I told you." Harry couldn't help but grin.

The girl - Hermione, maybe he should remember the name - huffed and shrugged. "Come with me. I'll show you where you can find the books."

"Thanks. I'm sure I wouldn't have found the books so quickly," Harry said, ruffling his hair with a crooked smile as Hermione pulled the two books off the shelf in the last row.

"Don't worry," Hermione replied, blushing slightly. "We prefects are here to help." Hesitating for a moment, she added, "You can find the books about advanced spells in the public section of the library, but they are beyond seventh-year level. Are you aware of that?"

"Maybe," Harry replied evasively, following the girl back to the reading room. "It's a subject I'm supposed to practice next. Dumbledore thought I should look at the theory first."

"Well then ... you better start right away. The sooner you've read these books, the sooner you'll be able to read the other books," Hermione said, spreading her things on the table next to his. "I'm here if you have any questions."

Harry took his notebook out of his bag and put it on the table next to the books. Watching Hermione suspiciously out of the corner of his eye, he turned to The Limits Of Soul Magic and began to read the introduction. He'd actually hoped not to spend the whole day here in the library - and now a minder was sitting next to him, and he couldn't help the impression that she was watching his every move. On the other hand - she only meant well ... Harry grimaced.

Harry was aware that he was supposed to read the books on soul magic to better understand the background to the Horcruxes. But since he didn't want to read the entire book, he decided to skim the table of contents to figure out what chapters were the most important to him. With a sigh, he began to read and occasionally take notes.

Two hours later, Harry closed the book with relief, wondering if he should go to his balcony to take a break or start reading the other books so he could go home early. He'd totally forgotten to bring something to eat from home. He couldn't go to the Great Hall for lunch, could he? At which table should he sit without attracting attention?

A familiar voice made his head spin toward Madam Pince's desk. A smile crossed his face as he spotted a girl with long red hair talking to the librarian. When she was done with whatever she had to do and turned to the door to leave, Harry waved and was pleased when Ginny noticed him and waved back.

Ginny strolled across the reading room to Harry's table and greeted him with a smile. "Well, don't you have any lessons with Dumbledore today?"

"Dumbledore is busy elsewhere and sent me here to read," Harry rolled his eyes. "But what about you? Is the Quidditch game over yet? I hope you won."

Beaming, Ginny sat down at the table. "I caught the Snitch, and the game was over after an hour," she said, excited. "We made second behind Hufflepuff, who won the house cup this year."

"That's great," said Harry enthusiastically. "Tell me!"
"Well, I was also a little lucky. Just as I saw the Snitch, Cho, the Ravenclaw Seeker, was distracted. Her boyfriend, Cedric, came today and was sitting in the stands. He cheered her on and waved, and just as the Snitch showed up, Cho waved back instead of paying attention," Ginny grinned like a cashmere cat. "You know Cedric? He'd won the Triwizard Tournament last year."

"Yeah," Harry replied. "I remember to read about it. It was covered extensively in the newspaper. But I doubt the love stories Rita Skeeter has served us are all true."

Ginny chuckled, "Not half of it was true. Believe me."

"Still. Congratulations on the win," Harry beamed at her. "You can't help it if the other seeker didn't pay attention. That's the game. Didn't expect me to meet you today."

"Can't you just be quiet!? Some people come to the library to work," someone hissed, disgruntled.

Astonished, Harry glanced over to the other table, where Hermione, grumpy-faced, was packing her things.

"But as we all know, your family is not one of those types of people," Hermione continued with her tirade. "But how should you know better; your brother Ron is the worst." Shooting Ginny a deadly look, she stormed past the table and headed for the exit.

"Oh, what was that about?" Harry looked questioningly at Ginny.

Ginny just grinned. "Don't worry about it. Granger doesn't like my brother. Gryffindor and Ravenclaw often have classes together, and the two quarrel regularly. Ron berates her for being a nerd with only her books on her mind, and she claims he's too lazy to be good for anything."

Harry looked at Ginny, shaking his head in disbelief. "She was very nice to me earlier. Helped me to find the books in the restricted section."

Giggling, Ginny leaned towards Harry and said in a hushed voice, "To be honest, Hermione is pretty much alright. But when she sees my brother or any other Weasley...," Her grin widened. "I think the two are in love, but they've been quarrelling for years, and now neither of them dares to take the first step."

"Do you really think so?" Harry muttered, doubtful.

"I'm pretty sure," Ginny replied with a knowing look. "They immediately notice when the other enters the room, and they watch each other all the time. But as soon as they face each other, they argue."

Harry rolled his eyes. "So much drama about nothing," he muttered, shaking his head. "Can't they just say they like each other and it's fine?"

Ginny gave him a strange look. "Is that what you'd do?" she finally asked.

"At least I think so," said Harry. "I ... I have no idea. I've never had a girlfriend, so ..." He shrugged. "Do you really think it's that complicated?"

Ginny smiled at him. "You're so cute."

"I told you I don't have a lot of friends," Harry replied. "You are actually my first real friend. We are friends, aren't we?" Harry looked at Ginny expectantly, hoping he hadn't said something wrong.

Ginny fell silent and blushed slightly. She was looking at him as if she was reading his mind and finally nodded pensively. With a shy smile, she replied, "If you want, we can be friends. I'd love it."

"Good," said Harry, relieved. "It's nice to have a friend and to talk to someone the same age." Running his hands nervously through his hair, Harry added, "And I really like to talk to you."

"Me too," Ginny replied, getting up. "Unfortunately, I have to go again. I just lent a few books so I can do my homework tomorrow. My teammates will miss me at the victory party." with a sigh, she asked, "See you next Saturday?"

"Oh," said Harry, grimacing. "I don't know yet. Depends on when Dumbledore has time for me again. Probably not. I hope I'll be back in two weeks."

"Good. See you next time then." Ginny said, smiling at him when she waved goodbye.

"Yeah, see you next time," Harry replied. His gaze followed her until she left the room.

It was nice to have a friend.

Reviews 73
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear