Search:

SIYE Time:14:03 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


A Chance Encounter
By Gin110881

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:Harry/Ginny
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Story is Complete
Rating: G
Reviews: 40
Summary: They met by chance, both on the run from the Dark Lord's henchmen, and she helped him to do what fate had destined him to do.
** Harry never went to Hogwarts **
Hitcount: Story Total: 9116; Chapter Total: 1198







ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


"Harry, take the portkey," Sirius shouted.

Blocking another spell one of the Death Eaters had cast at him, Harry let his eyes briefly flicker over towards his godfather. Just like Harry, Sirius was also busy defending himself against two Death Eaters who had ambushed them at the back gate when they left the property.

"I'm not leaving you here alone," Harry called back.

"We have to get out of here," Sirius called. "Death Eaters will be swarming this place any moment. Take the portkey. I'll come as soon as you're gone."

Harry cast another Stunner and blocked the attack of the other Death Eater. He was sure he could defend himself against his opponents, probably even defeat them. He'd practised enough with Dumbledore to even fight off two or three more. That was when a series of soft pops announced the arrival of at least a dozen more Death Eaters; some of them openly wore Auror robes.

"Harry," yelled Sirius. "Go now!"

Cursing loudly, Harry realized that Sirius was right. They didn't stand a chance against so many Death Eaters. He put up a strong shield around himself, grabbed his necklace and muttered, "Cinderella!"


The moment the portkey was activated, Harry caught his breath. "Sirius! Watch out!" he yelled as a stunner soared towards his godfather while he was distracted with checking that Harry was really leaving. Harry was sucked away before he could see if the Stunner had actually hit Sirius.

With a thud, Harry landed on a wooden floor. He whimpered slightly and grimaced in pain as his elbow bumped against a massive oak closet.

In a bad mood, Harry glanced around to figure out where he'd ended up. He had never had to use the portkey so far and had hardly given it a thought where it would take him. When his eyes got used to the semi-darkness, he groaned. Harry wasn't surprised that the damn portkey had taken him to Grimmauld Place. He was on the way here with Sirius anyway when they were ambushed. Harry didn't know this place well. He had only been here occasionally, but he knew that the house was protected by a Fidelius Charm and that it served the Order of the Phoenix as headquarter. However, judging by the silence, there was no one here.

Harry wondered if the Order had moved their headquarter after Dumbledore's death. He could have used the Order's support now to help Sirius.

He briefly considered returning alone to help Sirius but dismissed the idea. Alone he would hardly stand a chance against so many Death Eaters. Sirius would be really angry with him.

Sirius, Harry thought. He was sure he had seen the red light of a Stunner and not the green light of a killing curse. Did that mean they wanted to capture him, not kill him? Maybe Sirius had been able to put up a shield in time, Harry tried to calm himself. But he didn't really believe it. Surely, Sirius would have been here by now.

"Lumos," Harry muttered, holding up his wand. Apparently, the portkey had brought him to the library. It was pretty dark as the heavy curtains barely let any light into the room. He let his gaze wander over the shelves and paused when he saw the desk with a lamp on it. He lit the lamp and went over to the sofa to discard his robe on there. After checking that his Invisibility cloak was still there, he began to pace the room, hoping Sirius would show up soon.

What was he supposed to do if Sirius didn't show up?

He didn't have that many options, did he? Last summer, at his 17th birthday, the Ministry had fallen under the control of Voldemort's supporters. Nowadays, known Death Eater openly wore Auror robes; the assault on him and Sirius had proven it. It was certainly not a good idea to show himself in public.

He could go back to Cornwall, where he lived with Sirius. But there, he had just been ambushed by Death Eaters. They may have already taken down the wards around the house. If they hadn't already done so, the house would surely be watched.

Hogwarts wasn't an option either. Since Dumbledore was killed a few weeks ago, the castle had been under the control of the Death Eaters. Snape, the Potions Professor and former Death Eater had obviously changed sides again and had killed Dumbledore after some wanna-be Death Eater students had smuggled a horde of Voldemort's followers into the castle. Dumbledore had always been so sure that Snape was on their side as a spy for the Order.
As frustrating as it was, Harry had to accept that he had to stay here at Grimmauld Place for the time being. At least Sirius would find him here - or someone from the Order.

Harry tried to remember where Sirius' room was. Taking his wand, he mumbled a "Lumos" and climbed the stairs up to the upper floor. When he reached the end of the corridor, he opened the door and peered inside. The Gryffindor colours were a sure sign that it was Sirius' room. Harry stepped in and switched on the lamp he found on the desk.

The room still looked the same as the last time he'd been here with Sirius, about two years ago. Back then, he and Sirius had searched the house for dark objects before the Order used the house. And there was this family, Harry remembered. They had found shelter here last year until they had protected their own home well enough.

Sirius' bed was covered with a strangely coloured blanket. On the wall, Harry spotted yellowed posters of motorbikes and bikini girls from the seventies. On the desk lay a pile of magazines; probably the source of most of the posters on the wall.

With a flick of his wand, Harry dusted the room. He opened the closet and was relieved to find fresh sheets there. Well, maybe not fresh but unused. With another quick movement of his wand, Harry changed the bedclothes and banished the odd-looking blanket. Since Sirius didn't want a house-elf in their house in Cornwall, Harry always had to fix his room up himself. That was pretty handy right now.

House elf, Harry thought.

There was a house-elf here at Grimmauld Place, he remembered. He would take care of him later, he decided. But by then, Sirius might be back. Sirius had wanted to give him the things Dumbledore had left for Harry.

Harry stopped short.

A few days ago, after the last order meeting here at Grimmauld Place, Sirius had told Harry that Mad-eye Moody had given him a chest with the things Dumbledore had left for Harry. At first, Harry had been surprised. Why would Dumbledore leave something to him?

Harry looked around the room but couldn't see anything that looked at all like a chest. Where would be the best place to hide it?

He bent down and peered into the bedside table, which only contained all sorts of boxes and several decks of cards. In the desk drawers, Harry found piles of parchments with all kinds of scrawls on them.

Harry raised his eyebrows when his eyes fell on the open closet door. On the bottom of the closet, he spotted a large box hidden under a pile of those magazines with bikini girls in it. As Harry put the magazines aside, his eyes widened when he noticed that the bikini girls weren't wearing any bikinis at all. A bit distracted by the unexpected sight, he lifted the lid of the box and mumbled, "Ah. What do we have here?" when he discovered a wooden chest inside the box.

Harry carried the chest over to the desk to have a closer look at it. He remembered that Sirius said he didn't know what was in the chest because he couldn't open it. Probably, Dumbledore had arranged that only he, Harry, could open the chest.

Harry hesitated. Maybe it was better to wait for Sirius. A brief glance at his watch showed that two hours had already passed, and he still hadn't heard from Sirius. He immediately regretted leaving Sirius alone, surrounded by Death Eaters. At least he should have Apparated back immediately. He could only hope Sirius wasn't dead. Harry couldn't believe that his only hope was that Sirius had been hit by a Stunner.

Frustrated, Harry kicked the desk and grimaced as a stab of pain ran through his big toe.

Damned. Of course, Sirius was right.

According to the prophecy, he was the only one who could defeat Voldemort - had to defeat Voldemort - Harry corrected himself.

It wouldn't help to face a superior group of Death Eaters alone before he had the chance to fight Voldemort in person. This didn't mean that Harry thought he was already good enough to hold up against Voldemort - even if he wasn't that bad either. He hadn't won a duel against Dumbledore for nothing. That happened only a few days before Dumbledore was murdered, Harry recalled. Somehow he had always hoped that Sirius, and especially Dumbledore, would help him with his task.

His gaze fell back to the chest that was still sitting on the desk. Sighing, he took his wand and tapped the lid twice while mumbling "Alohomora". When he put his hand on the lid, a handle suddenly appeared, and Harry opened the chest. He peered in and noticed that it was much larger inside.

Harry reached into the chest and took out a copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. He eyed the book curiously; it was evidently a pretty old edition, written entirely in runes. Shrugging, Harry put the book aside. During his training, he had only learned the basics of runes. He doubted he could read the book.

Next, he held a golden Snitch in his hand with the strange writing "I open at the close" on it. Not knowing what to do with it, he put it aside, too.

Surprised, he took out the Salazars Slytherins locket and the Gaunt ring, followed by all the other Horcruxes, which were already destroyed by now. It was just a couple of months ago that they had found Rowena Ravenclaw's Diadem. It had taken ages to search Hogwarts for it until they had found out where the room of requirements was located and how to open it, thanks to Dumbledore need to find a loo in the middle of the night.

Now Nagini was the last Horcrux Harry somehow had to kill before he could face Voldemort.

With a soft whistle, Harry pulled the Gryffindor's sword out of the chest. The sword could be pretty useful in fighting Nagini.

The last things Harry took from the bottom of the chest was a wand that had obviously belonged to Dumbledore - and a letter.


Harry

On this way, I leave you the following items because they will be either useful for you, or I don't want them to get into the wrong hands. The latter items include the destroyed Horcruxes, which you should keep safe so that no one finds out that Tom Riddle created Horcruxes.

The Golden Snitch belonged to your father; he played around with it many times, as Sirius can tell you. Always keep the snitch with you, as its help can be essential to you in the greatest need.

I will also leave you a phial with a memory. Make sure that you watch the memory before you face Voldemort.

Last but not least, I'll leave you my wand, which you won in our last duel when you defeated me.

With that, you should have everything you need to hold your own against Voldemort.

Yours
Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore


Harry put the letter aside and looked doubtfully at the things on the table - the things that should help him win against Voldemort.

But where was the phial? Harry searched the chest again and actually found a small glass phial with a whitish liquid at the bottom. He would have to ask Sirius if there was a Pensieve in the house.

Harry had just put Dumbledore's things back in the chest when he heard a scream from downstairs. This could only be the portrait down in the entrance hall, he remembered.

Had Sirius finally managed to escape the Death Eaters? It couldn't be. Sirius would know how to enter the house without alerting his mother.

It could be someone from the Order. Or Death Eaters. After all, Snape knew how to get into the house.

Harry took his wand and headed to the stairwell. The screaming stopped as suddenly as it had started. Apparently, someone had silenced Sirius' mother.

In the darkness, Harry crept slowly down the stairs and grimaced when one of the stairs creaked loudly.

When he was only a few steps away from the lower floor, he paused and listened into the darkness. A flowery scent that hadn't been in the house before was in the air. Harry inhaled to find out what exactly it could be when someone called "Expelliarmus", and a spell darted out of the darkness towards him.
Reviews 40
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
‘! Go To Top ‘!

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & © 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights © J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site © 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code © 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding © 2008 by melkior and Bear