Search:

SIYE Time:6:27 on 29th March 2024
SIYE Login: no


The Winding Road
By NotAWriter

- Text Size +

Category: Alternate Universe
Characters:None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Violence
Story is Complete
Rating: PG-13
Reviews: 48
Summary: A Harry Never attended Hogwarts Story
Hitcount: Story Total: 16828; Chapter Total: 1210
Awards: View Trophy Room






ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter


Chapter 5
The Malfoy family had held their land in Wiltshire for centuries. Taken in one of the countless goblin wars, they had held the land through power and blood. The lush rolling hills had long been a symbol of the Malfoy family’s opulence and position in the wizarding world. The final battle had robbed the Malfoy’s of both the land of its richness and the family of its heirs. Or so it was believed.

Deep in the wilted and battle-scarred forest, a murder of ravens was startled out of their home by loud crack, accompanies by the sudden appearance of a short, round man. He took a moment o orient himself before setting off hurriedly through the dying forest.

After several minutes of scurrying, he paused, seeming to sniff the air, before walking back and forth in front of a large burnt alder tree. “I know you’re there, Travers.” The man whined “I can’t find the trigger, just let me in!”

Another man seemed to appear from behind a tree only a few feet away. “Pettigrew” he said with disgust “I think you’ve spent too much time as a rat if you can sniff me out.”

“Or maybe you need to bath a bit more Travers.” The shorter man retorted. Travers stepped forward threateningly. “what did you say?” he growled out. Pettigrew seemed to shrink into himself. “Nothing! Just… nothing.” He said in a squeaky voice. Travers just leaned back against a tree, laughing cruelly. “You always were a coward Pettigrew.” The heavy-set man reached out and tapped a branch with his wand. Immediately, roots began to move beneath the ground, and large tunnel appeared, leading into the dirt at a severe angle.

Pettigrew half slid half walked into the hidden dimly lit cavern. A large, blazing bonfire dominated the center of the cave, but the light wasn’t quite strong enough the reach the walls, and Pettigrew knew that he was being watched from the shadows.
Pettigrew approached a singular figure, sitting in a high-backed chair at the edge of the firelight. Shadows danced along their face, as they stared sightlessly into the twisting flame.

Pettigrew fell to his knee in supplication. “My lady! I did as you instructed. I led the scout team and tested the information given to us by the spy. The ward stone was misplaced, just as they said it would be. Potter and his bodyguard killed the rest of the team, but I was able to fight my way clear.”

“Liar” whispered a voice from the throne. “You ran at the first sign of danger.” Pettigrew flushed from his position on the ground. “ Did you at least ensure the rest were unable to give away any secrets?”

“Yes, my Lady.” Pettigrew replied sulkily, still kneeling.

“Good. At least your cowardice has it’s uses. Now fetch me the mirror.”

Pettigrew hastened to grab a small silver mirror from a small chest along the back of the cave. He placed in gently into the waiting hand. A wand extended from the shadows to tap delicately on the face of the mirror. “James Potter.” Said the voice softly.

A cloaked face appeared. “You promised me he would be dead.” A quiet intense voice said through the mirror. “You promised you would be here personally. Now Potter is still alive and he knows you’re coming for him.”

“Now I know your information is accurate. Do you believe me a fool, to trust you on your word? But you have proven your worth, and now we can plan in earnest.” Replied the sitting figure.

“Do you know how much work it was to create that gap in the wards? How hard it was to conceal it? I never agreed to-“
“Do you want Potter dead, or not?” came the cruel question.

“…Fine. But tell you man not to warn his opponents next time. Bloody stupid to tell your target that you’re coming for him.”
The cloaked image disappeared from the mirror, as the Pettigrew shrank against the wall and tried to slip away. “Ohhhh Peteerrrrr” sang a soft voice. “you did what now? Naughty, naughty Peter.”

“No Lady Lestrange! Please” Yelled a terrified Peter, as Bellatrix’s wand slowly raised to rest on him.


Ginny stood impatiently as Robards began his questions from the beginning. Again. “So there was nothing out of the ordinary? You didn’t notice anything?”

Ginny sighed deeply. “No, I didn’t notice anything Robards. Everything was normal. Suddenly they were inside the wards and spells were flying.”

Robards nodded, making a note on a parchment he was carrying. Ginny had no idea what he could be writing down, as she had answered this same question at least 3 times. “And one away?” Continued Robards.

“Yes. Killed the others and then disapparated.” Said Ginny shortly.

“Funny.” Called out Marzoc who was walking by. “He usually never lets anyone get away. Usually kills them all himself too.” She finished in a low voice, apparently talking mostly to herself.

Ginny looked over at Harry, who was undergoing his own interrogation. He seemed calm and unruffled, as if he hadn’t just survived an attempt on his life and seen the deaths of five men. It had never struck Ginny before what kind of life Harry must have had. The lives he must have taken. She felt a rush of admiration for the man who had suffered and given so much.
“I know this must have been a bit traumatic for you Ginny” Said Robards in an undervoice. “If you want, I can reassign you, find you something else?”

“No!” Burst out a surprised Ginny. “I mean, I’ll stay on Harry. I mean Potter. I mean stay on his body. As his body. Body guard.” She forced herself to stop talking before the blood rush to her head became permanent. Taking a deep breath she asked, “So any leads on how they got it and who they were?” mostly to distract the smirking Robards.

Robards face turned to stone. “Preliminary results show there was a ward stone that was misplaced. Someone is going to lose their job for that.” He paused, his shoulders slumping. “The attackers…missing witches and wizards. Missing for months. Likely imperiused. probably tortured. Innocents.”

A wave of nausea hit Ginny so severely that she almost feel to her knees. “Oh Merlin.” She breathed out.

Robards nodded in agreement, face like stone. “We’ll catch the bastard behind this, you just worry about watching Potter’s back.” Robards clasped her shoulder and wandered towards Potter.


Ginny didn’t sleep that night. The assumption of safety that Ginny had built since the end of the war had been shaken badly. As had her ability in a fight. Ginny knew herself. She was a good auror. And a great fighter. One of the best, if not the best, in the department. But how Potter had moved, how he had fought, was unlike anything she had ever seen.


Harry and Ginny were quiet the next morning, both seeming to prefer the company of their own thoughts.

As Harry laid down his bag, Ginny broached the silence. “Harry?” Harry turned towards Ginny. “Could you teach me?”

“Teach you?” Repeated Harry in confusion.

“How to duel like you. I’ve never seen anyone fight like that.” Ginny explained softly. “Please, Harry.”

Harry stared at her, before sighing and nodding resignedly. Ginny didn’t know where he kept his wand, but it was suddenly in his hand. Ginny pulled her own wand and took position across from him.

“The first rule is movement. All those rules about bowing and standing are all crap. You stay in one place, you die. The second is creativity. Combine spells, alternate your casting pattern, take advantage of the terrain.” Harry ran his hands through his hair. “But…the only real way to learn is to practice. So let’s begin.”

Harry suddenly cast a full body bind at Ginny. Ginny, caught completely by surprise, still managed to get a shield up, but the force of the spell shattered her shield and she found herself on the ground. Harry cast the counter charm, and Ginny say up angrily. “You could have warned me!” She yelled, sitting up on her elbows.

“I told you, you have to move, be creative. In a real fight no one is going to yell go.” Responded Harry calmly.

Ginny rubber her side, where she had landed on a large root. “You could have at least cushioned my fall.” She grumbled. Harry shrugged. “Pain is a good teacher.” He responded simply.

Ginny, hoping to catch him unawares cast a sudden stunning spell. Harry ducked under it easily. “Not bad! Though your aim is too high. A hit in the head or the leg is the same and its harder to dodge low spells.”

Back and forth they went, but it was only moments later that Ginny’s wand was ripped from her hand. Harry didn’t gloat or smirk. He handed her wand back and demanded she go again. This continued for hours, but the result never seemed to change; Harry standing over her, hand extended to help her back to her feet.

Ginny was exhausted. As she took her place again, she thought quickly. Potter initiated it, casting a powerful confundus charm at her. Ginny dove out the way, rolling up and casting a shield against the hex she knew was coming. The spell crashed against her shield, giving off a blinding flash. Ginny sensed that another spell was coming and took a risk. She put her arm in the path f the spell, hoping it would seem she had stumbled, and felt her left arm go numb up to the shoulder. Ginny fell to the ground with a cry.

Ginny laid on her stomach, listening to Potter get closer. When he was standing right over her, she slipped her wand out from under her body and whispered “Stupify!” The spell took Harry in the leg sending him flying into the ground.
Ginny rolled to her back, laughing tiredly, before reviving Harry, who sat up with a look of shock.

“That was incredible Ginny!” He yelled excitedly, bouncing over to her. “I can’t believe I didn’t see it! I’ve never heard you yell out when hurt before. It was brilliant!” He said, helping her to her feet and hugging her.

Ginny instinctively wrapped her arms around him. Suddenly she didn’t feel so tired. The hug went on and Ginny was suddenly very conscious of how sweaty and dirty she was from their hours of dueling.

She pulled away from Harry who seemed…disappointed.

“Can we take a break?” asked Ginny. “I’m beat. And Dirty.”

Harry laughed and they sat, sharing the water that Harry had brought.

“You really are good, you know. One of the best I’ve ever dueled.” Said Harry suddenly. Ginny blushed, but smiled, pleased with his compliment. “Thanks Harry. And I guess I did beat you.”

Harry snorted. “Yeah, like one time. Bring you’re A game next time Weasley. Make it more interesting,”
Their good natured ribbing continued as they set off back towards Harry’s house.

“Well, some of us didn’t get a lifetime of training. Seems like an unfair advantage!” Said Ginny with a bit of heat.
Harry laughed before turning solemn. “I wish I didn’t, you know.” He said with a sigh. “Didn’t what?” asked Ginny. “Have a lifetime of training. My whole life has been training, or running, or manipulation. Makes a body paranoid.” Replied Harry.
“What do you mean manipulation?” Called Ginny, as she walked around a large tree trunk.

“Weeelll” drew out Harry as the path came together again “After Voldemort came back, everybody wanted a piece of “Harry Potter’. To use for whatever agenda they saw fit. The ministry, Dumbledor, Voldemort. They all had their plans. Made me question every interaction, look for ulterior motives. Like why they sent you here.”

Ginny scoffed. “Please. They sent me as punishment. And it has been.” She finished with a teasing smile. Harry and Ginny exited the forest and began walking towards the portkey point.

Harry nodded “I’m sure it has been.” He agreed seriously. “But that wasn’t the only reason. They send that last auror because she had seen almost as much fighting as I had. Probably hoped we would bond over it. They sent Ernie cause he’s my age, a contemporary. They sent you cause you’re….you.” He finished lamely.

Ginny was intrigued now. “No, go on, why do you think they sent me.”

Harry breathed through his nose before quickly saying “You’re fun, young, brave. A proven auror and a fighter. Your father is a high ranking in the ministry. So any positive perception of you reflects back on the ministry. And you’re so…alive.” He paused, thinking deeply. “You love life, make the most of it.” He shook his head. “Not to mention you’re beautiful.”
Harry’s eyes widened as he realized what he had said. Any response Ginny would have had was preempted by the flash of light that signaled Ernie’s arrival. Ginny took the portkey from Ernie not hearing what he was saying, or taking her eyes off Harry, who welcomed Ernie, then turned to look at Ginny, eyes dark and intense.

The portkey whisked Ginny back but she still felt his eyes on her. She quickly gave her report to Marzoc before setting off for the Burrow.

She walked in the door to find Fred and George sitting at the dining room table.

“What’s up with you Ginny?” Asked Fred, looking up from their game of exploding snap.

“She looks like Ron after a date with Hermione.” Chortled George.

Ginny felt the smile she didn’t realize she had slip from her face.
Oh no.
Reviews 48
ChapterPrinter
StoryPrinter




../back
! Go To Top !

Sink Into Your Eyes is hosted by Grey Media Internet Services. HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related characters are trademarks of Warner Bros. TM & 2001-2006. Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. Note the opinions on this site are those made by the owners. All stories(fanfiction) are owned by the author and are subject to copyright law under transformative use. Authors on this site take no compensation for their works. This site 2003-2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Special thanks to: Aredhel, Kaz, Michelle, and Jeco for all the hard work on SIYE 1.0 and to Marta for the wonderful artwork.
Featured Artwork © 2003-2006 by Yethro.
Design and code 2006 by SteveD3(AdminQ)
Additional coding 2008 by melkior and Bear